PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stats Gleaned From Pastel 100 Comp

Roan
02-28-2001, 09:25 PM
This month's issue (March/April) of the Pastel Journal features the results of the Pastel 100 Competition. After gazing in awe at over 100 paintings, I realized they all had the surfaces they were painted on listed. So! I think you guys know me by now, I had to compile a list of stats and see what everyone was REALLY using http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Pardon me of the numbers don't add up exactly to what they said was in the show, there are other pieces listed as well . . . on to the stats:

Landscape Category:
Wallis - 7
Ersta - 6
Sennelier - 3
Art Spectrum - 2
Mat Board - 2
Pastelbord - 1
Canson Mi-Tientes - 1
Misc - 4

Still Life & Floral
Canson Mi-Tientes - 5
Wallis - 5
Sennelier - 4
Ersta - 3
Sabretooth - 1
Misc - 3

Portrait & Figurative
Canson Mi-Tientes - 12
Sennelier - 5
Wallis - 2
Pastelbord - 1
Misc - 2

Animal & Wildlife
Wallis - 4
Ersta - 3
Suede - 3
Sennelier - 2
Canson Mi-Tientes - 2
Art Spectrum - 1
Velour - 1
Misc - 3

Totals by Brand<PRE><FONT face="Times Roman" SIZE=3>
Canson 21 21%
Wallis 18 18%
Sennelier 16 16%
Ersta 14 14%
PastelBord 3 3%
Art Spectrum 3 3%
Suede 3 3%
Mat Board 2 2%
Sabretooth 1 1%
Velour 1 1%
Misc 20 20%
---- ----
102 100%
</FONT></PRE>
*******MISC = Mostly home-made boards and papers, but also papers such as Fabriano and Arches that only show up once

Observations:
Canson Mi-Tientes was THE choice for 55% of the portrait pieces.
50% of landscape artists prefer Wallis or Ersta.
Suede only shows up in Animal and Wildlife.
57% of the pieces in the Abstract category were on home-made supports.

Ersta and Sennelier are FAR more commonly used than I had guessed.

------------------
<FONT face="Script MT Bold"><FONT COLOR="#AB4835"><FONT size="5">Roan</FONT s></FONT c></FONT f>
<FONT COLOR="#8A1010">Call caraid tadhal tric, 's call caraid tadhal ainmig.</FONT c>
-- <FONT size="1">Friends are lost by calling often, and by calling seldom.</FONT s>
RoanStudio.com (http://RoanStudio.com) <-- pastel open stock vendor sources & reviews!

[This message has been edited by Roan (edited February 28, 2001).]

nancymae
03-02-2001, 02:41 PM
Thanks Roan for all your work!!! It's very much appreciated!!

I got a couple of pieces of the suede mat board you were talking about at my local art store. They were giving out samples for 25 cents!! Of only one color though...dark forest green. Thought I could do a forest scene or a floral close up with it. I'll post when I get done!!! I can't wait to try them out!!!

Thanks for all you do!!

Nancy

Roan
03-02-2001, 06:10 PM
Nancymae:

Not a problem :P Oops, I left out the Abstract cateogry *whap me*.

The Pastel Journal has given me permission to publish those stats on my web site, so I'll make sure I add it there.

Glad you got the suede! I did have a bit of a shocker today -- someone posted in Critiques that the suede is not real suede, but a man-made suede. So, I emailed Crescent for details. They've confirmed it. It's man-made flocking. I'm rather cheesed-off about this and it's probably 'cause I'm Canadian. This type of thing is illegal in Canada. If it's not real suede, you cannot label it as thus.

Not that I'm not going to use it still, I am, but I'm also delving into some of the other information he gave me pertaining to the material. I'm just angry that I was mislead. Grrr.

------------------
<FONT face="Script MT Bold"><FONT COLOR="#AB4835"><FONT size="5">Roan</FONT s></FONT c></FONT f>
<FONT COLOR="#8A1010">Call caraid tadhal tric, 's call caraid tadhal ainmig.</FONT c>
-- <FONT size="1">Friends are lost by calling often, and by calling seldom.</FONT s>
RoanStudio.com (http://RoanStudio.com) &lt;-- pastel open stock vendor sources & reviews!

Shari
03-03-2001, 02:11 PM
Roan,

Thanks for all your hard work, this is very helpful and interesting information. Now if only we had this type of info on the pastels people use. I have looked on your site and checked there, but it would be great to know a tally of what the wet canvas group uses! Of course I want to buy some more pastels, but I am not sure which ones I want the most. I absolutely love the ones Terry Ludwig sent me, but I also would like to try more sennelier.

Shari

Roan
03-03-2001, 08:19 PM
Hrm, I'd like to know too, Shari. I haven't replied to Maggie Price's email as yet (editor of the Pastel Journal), so I think I will ask her if it's possible for the Journal to list that type of thing. In order of most used brand would be great.

I'll see what she says :P

------------------
RoanStudio.com (http://RoanStudio.com) &lt;-- pastel open stock vendor sources & reviews!