PDA

View Full Version : What is on your wish list???????

Paula Ford
10-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi Everybody!

Was just wondering if you have a pastel/equipment/furniture/art wish list.

On the top of my list is a full set of Giraults and a full set of Great Americans.

Recently saw on Jerry's Artarama website, there is a set of 50 Brilliant colors by Girault that I'd like. I requested a list of colors that are in that set and got the email today.
243 COBALT GREEN
347 ASH GREEN,
221 GREEN EARTH,
201 LEAF GREEN,
316 RESEDA,
471 BEIGE GRAY
368 GAMBOGE YELLOW
127 GOLDEN OCHRE,
111 DARK OCHRE,
220 SATURN BROWN,
162 LIGHT BRONZE GREEN,
160 DARK BRONZE GREEN,
190 BROWN GREEN,
461 BURNT SIENNA,
397 MOUSE GREY,
1 BLACK BROWN,
79 BROWN VERMILLION,
6 RED BROWN
67 RED OCHRE
23 ORIENT EARTH
323 PURPLE VIOLET
133 VIOLET YELLOW
309 VIOLET MADDER
361 VIOLET LAKE
478 VIOLET GREY
32 BLUE ORANGE
288 PRUSSIAN BLUE
463 DEEP BLUE
257 PEACOCK BLUE
388 DEEP ULTRAMARINE BLUE
353 COBALT BLUE
331 BLUE VIOLET
281, BLUEPURPLE
198 LEMON CAD YELLOW
97 NAPLES YELLOW
297 CHROME YELLOW
339 BRILLIANT YELLOW
196 ORANGE CAD YELLOW
37 ORANGE GRAPHITE
80 BROWN VERMILLION
269 CARMINE LAKE
48 BROWN CARMINE
378 MADDER CARMINE
499 BLUE GREEN GRAY
250 EMERALD GREEN
181 BLACK GREEN
275 VERONESE GREEN
227CHROME GREEN
183 ENGLISH GREEN
205 APPLE GREEN.

I recently purchased something that was on my wish list...a large paper cutter. No More Measuring!!! Used it on a piece of 12 x 18 Wallis the other day and within 1 minute I had cut that sheet into 4 perfectly even pieces.:clap: :clap: :clap:

So, what is on your wish list???

Paula

Bringer
10-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Hi,

I like the 1937 Talbot Lago.....enough dreaming :-)
Maybe a Pastel DVD. A mat cutter might be nice too, but I do get good prices on mats since I have a framing store just aside my working place. In fact they've offered me two frames a couple of days ago and they've cut those mats for my «boats» painting for free...so...
Back to DVDs, I found DVDs about art to be ridiculously high, except for some exceptions like Greg Biolchini's or Jackie ones and a couple of other. But I would never give 80 bucks or even more for a DVD.

Regards,

José

P.S. and of course that a book (whatever area) is always a fine gift

Paula Ford
10-08-2005, 07:12 PM
I agree José. DVD's are outrageously expensive and I refuse to pay those prices also.

Oh, yes, a mat cutter would be wonderful!!

Paula

HarvestMoon
10-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Hmmm.... what I really need are decent glasses, lighting, and please Santa, some more drawing talent!!! I have had cracked and scratched glasses for a year- have the vision of an armadillo to begin with.... but it does give one that impressionist look- sort of.... esp. at night- although I am banned from night driving. Goodies? Well, I just got a Heilman pastel box. It is the most wonderful thing I own- and another one would be even better- then I could have one packed 'to go' and one in the studio...... hey, my MC is only 24% and by the time I am 152 it will be all paid off LOL.... I would love some art lessons from a very understanding person- that would really be great! and yes, the dvd's would too but I have no player.... I have a lifetime supply of pastels and pets, so I guess I no longer need that much.... I don't need frames and mats - everything I did today went straight in the trash- suppose it will be discovered by that 'bad art' dumpster site Jose found? That stuff was pretty good....

E-J
10-08-2005, 07:52 PM
My wishlist, hmm ... I would like the Daniel Greene pastel portrait videos ... and that GORGEOUS set of 144 Unisons in the wooden briefcase (http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/madisonartshop/SC696210Clp.jpg) that regularly makes me drool over the pages of my Pastel Journal ... I'd also love a big stack of Wallis Belgian Mist ... and a big, sturdy, expensive easel ... and I'd really like to discover a local group that I could get together with for pastelling sessions, but alas, there is nothing in my area. It's a hard life being a lone pastellist! Though of course, if I had all that other lovely stuff, I wouldn't care. :)

Kathryn Wilson
10-08-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm wishing for enough funds to take Deborah's workshop in France that she is thinking about doing. Please Santa - I've been a good girl most of the time. :)

Other than that, a roll of glassine, a roll of Kitty's paper, and a set of Schminckes, Giraults, Great American and Mount Vision. That would do me nicely.

I've been looking at the pastel paper boards too - Jerry's has got a good sale on Art Spectrum and Canson already mounted.

Is that enough?

HarvestMoon
10-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Kat, if i were santa, i would say you deserve it! Instead of asking santa, a few months ago i just asked MC....LOL

Bringer
10-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi again,

I got another idea !!!
A live model to paint from .....what about this one ? :-)

Regards,

José

HarvestMoon
10-08-2005, 09:00 PM
I know you Jose, you want to paint Cheryl Crow, right? Then I get Lance to take my husband bicycling so I do not have to hear about sports all the time LOL....

Paula Ford
10-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Mount Vision's are on at Jerry's for $2/ea. I was thinking about some of them also. Are they soft like Unisons?

Kathryn Wilson
10-08-2005, 10:39 PM
I hesitate to recommend one pastel over another to another pastel artist - but for me, I like Mount Visions better than Unisons. I think the pigment is richer and a bit softer than Unisons. Unisons tend to have greyed out colors, other than in their dark set. When they came on the market, I joined the brigade to buy all that I could buy - but have moved on to other brands. I still prefer Schmincke over all other pastels - but Giraults, GA's and Mount Visions are finding important places in my palette and are less expensive.

Khadres
10-08-2005, 11:39 PM
I disagree about the Unisons...I love them all and find them more than soft enough. Schminkes are nice but they are almost too soft in some situations.

I only want four things:

The Full Monty Great American set
The Full Mt. Vision set
The Full Girault Set (cardboard is fine)
and the full Sennelier set if for no other reason than the fact that they do have a few colors nobody else does.

I figure since I already have all the Art Spectrums, Rembrandts, almost all the Unisons, and all the BlockX, and a good deal of the Ludwigs, I should be set for just about anything.

Kathryn Wilson
10-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Well, Paula, for $2 they are worth the try and they are bigger than Unisons. More bang for the buck.

I find with Schminckes that of all the pastels I use, they will cover the best.

K Taylor-Green
10-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Full Spectrum Lighting is at the top of my list. I use daylight bulbs in all my lamps, but Ott Lite is specially suited to what we do.............and priced accordingly, naturally.
Full set of Giraults. I like them above all others. Other, softer ones are just TOO soft for what I do.

HarvestMoon
10-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Paula, I really do love the mount visions- in fact I like them better than unisons- the colors as well as the size and texture. I think for $2. each they are a great bargain- wow. Hope Kelly is still going to make them, as they are actually my favorites- along with Great Americans that is!! Wow- I just looked and his 250 set is LESS than $2. each. Now that would be worth adding to my wish list- like, what if he stops making them when I am 80? What would I do???? Oh if I had the funds and a closet to fill with them :rolleyes: Of course, those little girault babies are sweet... buy hey, they have been making them for a zillion years and expect they will continue to do so. Gee, I started looking at the mt. vision prices (naturally for you guys) and found that on his website- mountvision.com, he has a 'capitol fund' where you can get 400 pastels for $500., Jerry's wants $400. for 250, and Dakota $469. for 275- all are great prices but watch out about the Jerry's shipping charge when comparing.

CM Neidhofer
10-09-2005, 12:21 PM
At best, I would look for a two bedroom apartment to go back to in the spring. Then I could have a separate computer/art room instead of the corner of my living room. It's comfortable, but not always very presententable when walking in the door! lol My biggest wish is to find someone to take some classes with, or a workshop, that fits my budget and my schedule.

Christine

HarvestMoon
10-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Christine- do you have a patio that is sort of secure? Would your apt. manager let you put that plastic stuff all over it to keep the rain out (and hopefully people) and you could work out there? I would love to take classes with you, but it is kind of a long drive- would love to live in Colorado, but the kids have friends and will not move- how do you feel about 105 degree heat hee hee...

CM Neidhofer
10-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi Purples. I'm in a third floor apartment with a balcony. But with the Colorado winds, I don't think any kind of plastic would hold up for very long. The wind would just shred it. Actually, my problem is that I really have too much furniture! A sofa and a love seat. Been meaning to try to sell the love seat. That would open up about half the room! Guess I should quit wishing and DO something about it, huh?? LOL And yes, that would be quite a drive. I know....I'll pick up Sooz on the way, you come on in to NM and we'll converge on Deborah!! LOL Hey, wasn't there a thread about a soutwest WC get together???? :wink2:

Christine

HarvestMoon
10-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Well, if you are within driving distance of Sooz, she would be a great teacher if you could twist her arm... she has been feeling very bad physically and I sure hope she feels better soon!! Perhaps we can all wish her well.... Love seats are bad luck- yep, get rid of that thing for sure.... you should see our furniture- makes the salvation army look GOOD. Actually, we have tried to give some of it to them and they will not take it- too ratty (I am not kidding)...between kids, cats, dogs...bad plays in football games....

Khadres
10-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the good wishes, purples! As for teaching, no nononono no! I hung up my teaching stick (the one I used to beat recalcitrant students, of course) ages ago. Besides, I'd likely be better off letting Christine do the teaching!

I do have experience of tiny apartments, however. Ditch the COUCH and keep the love seat! More space to spare!

HarvestMoon
10-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Hey, if I can talk Christine into taking my chocolate lab who has a 'tiny head' according to the vet (ie not much brain) she will need the big couch!!! (but hey, she is a very sweet dog though- but she likes a big sofa and thinks pastels are dog cookies)

Khadres
10-09-2005, 04:01 PM
I hope she has an elevator then! Walking a pooch several times a day from a third floor apt. is way too hard for me! I walked a K9 from a second floor apt once....not fun, especially when you're down with the flu! Was sorely tempted to let him do his thing out on the balcony....despite the little old lady on the next floor down!

CM Neidhofer
10-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Nononono!!!! lol...can't give up the couch Sooz. That's MY nappy couch! And purples, I'd love a dog, but can't have one here. And you're right Sooz...I have all I can do to get up all those stairs after work, let alone to walk a dog!! Me feets hurt enough as it is! lol

Christine

HarvestMoon
10-09-2005, 04:55 PM
That's ok Christine- could not give her up anyway- and she does not actually get to eat the pastels- she just looks at me like I am holding out on her.... I am considering something DRASTIC- my unisons, for the most part, are treated like they are in the national gallery- very nearly under glass- so they don't get used- who wants to break them? but I may - gasp break them in half and put them in my new box.... there- I said it. That's the hardest part LOL...

Bringer
10-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi once more,

Why do YOU...yes YOU Purples, want so many sticks ? Haven't you seen what Rose Baggs can do with only a part of that ? :-) gggRRRRR
This goes for you and for all others who haven't done it yet : Make colour swatches from your pastels !!! Saves time and you choose what you want more correctly.
My painting got much easier after doing that.
Mind tough that a colour by itself seems different that together with others including the support's colour. So try it carefully.
Can I add a free supply of museum glass for Christmas ? :-)

Kindest regards,

José

HarvestMoon
10-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Jose, you are beginning to sound just like my husband- he thinks if I have ONE color I will not be so indicisive..... what can I say- I love all the different colors- I like looking at them about as much as drawing with them. I love re-arranging them too. It is the only part of my house with real beauty- the pastels and the pretty colors.... I have to make up for a lack of talent by having a lot of colors, OK? Yes, need to make those color swatches, but Jose, if you come visit us we will get a few margaritas into you and you will enjoy the pretty colors too!! And hey, I said I didn't need any more pastels didn't I? Just that I am going to break the unisons...

Khadres
10-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Awwwww. don't break 'em!!! I get full use out of mine in a whole state...with the slanty thing leading to the ends, I can do the side thing without even messing up the label! And with the flat ended round shape I get all the detail I want. I've only broken a few by accident....

fortysomething
10-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Well, if wishes were nickles I'd be able to afford alot more of the items on my wish list.

I wish I had some Schminkes, Terry Ludwig, and Mt. Vision pastels.

I wish I had a Heilman pastel box, and I wish the Heilmans would start making easels, so I could wish for a Heilman easel as well.

I wish I had and endless roll of Belgian Mist. Oh, and a roll of glassine.

I wish I had an art studio. I wish Christine had an art studio too.

I wish I had a cart for the pastels.

Heck, as long as I'm wishing, I also wish I had an adjustable platform for still life set-ups. Make that hydraulically operated, please.

Artistammy
10-10-2005, 11:53 AM
I could wish for a totally dedicated studio but I wish for a loveseat instead of the large sofa taking up space in my formal livingroom/studio. Pastel lessons would be great. I would like some more of the softer pastels like Terry Ludwig's or Mt. Vision. I could use some trays for my softies that are in the carbboard boxes in my studio. When thinking about this tho I'm in better shape than I realized. I've gotten a studio space this last year, my Mom gave me a mat cutter; I've got a good supply of Wallis, a new travel pastel box. Counting my blessings! :-)
Tammy

DLJohnson
10-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Well, if wishes were nickles I'd be able to afford alot more of the items on my wish list.

I wish I had some Schminkes, Terry Ludwig, and Mt. Vision pastels.

I wish I had a Heilman pastel box, and I wish the Heilmans would start making easels, so I could wish for a Heilman easel as well.

I wish I had and endless roll of Belgian Mist. Oh, and a roll of glassine.

I wish I had a cart for the pastels.

Heck, as long as I'm wishing, I also wish I had an adjustable platform for still life set-ups. Make that hydraulically operated, please.

Me too
me too
me too
me too (you are so sweet)
me too
and that

add the full Unison set and a modern motorhome. :D

Donna

K Taylor-Green
10-10-2005, 12:19 PM
LOLOL! The lists are getting longer and zanier!!
My pastel table is a converted microwave cart! Works really well. Now I wish for time to add hinged, drop down shelves to the side. Will add more space and be (hopefully) better organized!

CM Neidhofer
10-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Actually, my problem is that I really have too much furniture! A sofa and a love seat. Been meaning to try to sell the love seat. That would open up about half the room!
Christine

Ummm....Tammy???? LOL :p

CM Neidhofer
10-10-2005, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the wish!!! :wave:

HarvestMoon
10-10-2005, 04:50 PM
I would like one of those little portable art chairs, a little portable art table to put pastels on, and an easel for travel that does not tip over at the drop of a hat. I looked at 'portable tables' at our outdoor store, and you would need a pickup truck to carry them LOL

scall0way
10-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Well as long as we are wishing, I would certainly wish to have a dedicated art studio with a computer corner for VPON sessions, and wonderful lighting, and a place to set up still lifes or whatever I would want to paint... I can just *see* it in my mind. Of course the studio in my mind is nice and big too, as big as my entire first floor of my house!

But I would *settle* for a nice endless supply of Wallis Belgian Mist at an incredibly cheap price. :)

My other Wallis-related wish is that I wish I could buy Wallis paper that came in a size that corresponded to the pre-cut double mats I can buy. At Jerry's (and every other place I have checked) I can get pre-cut double mats in the $3-$6 range, but the only sizes are for an opening of 10 1/2 x 13 1/2, or 8 x 10. Wallis does not come in sizes that match those, not does Colourfix, and for the price you pay for those supports I hate to see such wastage.

For the picture I'm putting in the "red" art show I used a 9x12 piece of Colourfix paper assuming, in my ignorance, that I could buy a pre-cut double mat for it since its' a fairly standard size. Well I was *wrong*. Went to several places and no one had double mats that size, only the two sizes above. I finally had to get a double mat cut for it, and it cost $27!!!!! at Jerry's. $27 to get a 9x12 double mat cut, when I could have gotten a pre-cut 10 1/2 x 13 1/2 double mat for $6! Grrrr.

But Wallis only comes in 9x12 and next size up is 12x18. Colourfix comes in 9x12, and next is 19 1/2 x 27 1/2. If either of them made an 11x14 sheet I could pastel happily for the rest of my life, and have plenty of paper with no wastage. Is that too much to ask? :D

khourianya
10-11-2005, 12:34 PM
hmmm...my wish list.... *little dream bubble appears above my head*

I would really love the full monty of GAs, I'd like to try the Mount Visions nad Ludwigs to decide if I would like those whole sets too...

I'm pretty happy with my studio and storage there, but I would love a roll of Wallis Museum. I would also love for the days to be 35 hours long so I could have 11 extra hours after work to paint....I have some inspiration at the moment, but have been too busy to do anything about it.

Oh - I know what I would like..some woodworking equipment of my own, so I could just build my own things when I come up with them instead of having to wait to go to my parent's house to use dad's stuff. I have the BEST still life box design brewing in my head and won't be able to build it for another month!!!! Unless I have the boys at Home Depot do my cutting for me....hmmmm

oh - and I would also like an iPod photo so I can have music when I am painting on location...and the photo part could house a portable portfolio to show off if people want to see my other work!!!

Orchidacea
10-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Most of all, I want some good classes. I'm really stuck, and I need some good, live instruction!

Whoever was talking about the Mt. Visions--I agree! I picked up a couple of them last week to try, and I love them!

khourianya
10-11-2005, 12:52 PM
oh, Kim. I hear ya! Every pastel workshop that comes through town ends up getting cancelled here (Pastels apparently aren't cool in Calgary). You'd think the art college or the various arts centres would have SOMETHING, but they don't. I would love some real instruction.

Paula Ford
10-11-2005, 02:01 PM
I dream, day in and day out, about that full set of Giraults. And, it looks like I'll need some type of air cleaner/purifier. Have been getting conjested and soar throats lately after being in my studio, which is a very small, unventilated room.

Would love a bigger studio also.

Paula

HarvestMoon
10-11-2005, 02:51 PM
I wish the standard sizes of paper and the standard sizes of frames or mat openings actually matched.... Paula try an air mask, but I have a cheap air filter from Bed, Bath, and Beyond that at least helps; I have no ventalition either and rotten asthma. When I get desperate I use an air mask, but the dogs think I am an alien then.

Paula Ford
10-11-2005, 03:15 PM
...Paula try an air mask, but I have a cheap air filter from Bed, Bath, and Beyond that at least helps; I have no ventalition either and rotten asthma. When I get desperate I use an air mask, but the dogs think I am an alien then.

LOL...thanks purples. I'll try that.

Paula

Orchidacea
10-11-2005, 03:56 PM
LOL, Purples....I use a mask when I am brushing off--which happens all too frequently--but I am definitely thinking of investing in an air filter. My studio is in a basement with no ventilation, so I'm quite concerned about the dust as well as the potential for mold.

Of course, I have no natural light either :(, but I have so many daylight lamps, incandescent and fluorescent, that I could probably have a sizable pot-growing operation down there, lol. I'm also developing quite an interest in painting plein aire--we'll have to see how that goes in the winter....

Orchidacea
10-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Forgot to add--my dog is terrified of the mask...though he has a problem if I even wear a baseball cap....very strict fashion sense, I guess...

Poor thing has to be crated on Halloween, lol.

khourianya
10-11-2005, 04:06 PM
my studio is in my basement as well. I have a small air filkter that orks well, but Cam and I are discussing getting a much more powerful one, now that we share studio space...I think he is concerned that his electronic equipment may end up filled with colourful dust!! :D So far, though, even the small air filter has made it so we don't need to dust our studios at all!

Orchidacea
10-11-2005, 05:46 PM
I just hopped over to Ebay and bought an inexpensive, highly touted air purifier. They have a lot of them...cost me $58 with shipping as a Buy It Now....I'll let y'all know how it works.

michellej
10-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Hmm...
A complete set of Sennelier, and Schminke, some sanded paper since we don't get that here, money to take the semester course in Marchutz School of Art (Just got the catalogue today) and a LOOOOOONg painting holiday no responsibilities just me the scenery, my imagination and lots and lots of paints

HarvestMoon
10-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Kim, well, I hate to say it but the lights might bring more money with the plants LOL.... love the pics on your sig. line- esp. the sunflower! I have 2 100-watt bulbs for lighting, no so good.

Khadres
10-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Cool! What kinda was it? I have a Hunter that works very well for me.

Orchidacea
10-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Cool! What kinda was it? I have a Hunter that works very well for me.

It's a Neo-Tec...I've never heard of it, but the features sounded good, and it has a money-back guarantee, so I decided to try it...I'll let you know if it's worth it.

Kim, well, I hate to say it but the lights might bring more money with the plants LOL.... love the pics on your sig. line- esp. the sunflower! I have 2 100-watt bulbs for lighting, no so good.

LOL, purples. You mean art doesn't bring fame and fortune? Dang! Thanks for the compliments...and get yourself some daylight fluorescents--they're da bomb! I also bought compact daylight fluorescents to put in my clamp-on lamps--I can't believe the difference it makes, and they're relatively inexpensive.

khourianya
10-16-2005, 01:03 AM
oh - and I would also like an iPod photo so I can have music when I am painting on location...and the photo part could house a portable portfolio to show off if people want to see my other work!!!

lol - one wish came true!!! lol. Cam gave me one for our anniversary (well, anniversary, my birthday and christmas combined, really). Might take a few weeks to arrive, but it's been ordered! :D

HarvestMoon
10-16-2005, 08:03 PM
well did you see the full set of dakota pastels in the MEDIUM (big) size that dakota has? they are clearing them out.... now if there is a santa... we can get a huge hunk of wallis and paint BIG