PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Canyon - Pastel Society of NC Show

Kathryn Wilson
10-08-2005, 02:22 PM
I hope you all don't mind if I toot my horn just a bit here -

The Pastel Society of North Carolina has a show running in which I entered my Bryce Canyon painting that you've all seen and have been so encouraging on. It won a 1st in Composition! The judges comments afterward were very flattering and encouraging -

Another WC member entered the show also - Jolanta's beautiful still life won 1st for Design. :clap:

Until I get permission from folks to upload photos of their paintings, I'll just do my own and hopefully adding photos later.

The Judge was Jean Parrish - the show is being held at Carol Woods in Chapel Hill, NC. There were approx. 25 entries. Judging was based on Composition, Color and Design with ribbons for 1st and 2nd.

CM Neidhofer
10-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Congratulations Kat!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Christine

HarvestMoon
10-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Oh congrads! I was just telling my hubby i really wanted him to goat sit so I could go to Bryce Canyon and take photos to paint from! You guys in N.C. get all the cool stuff.... I have been out of touch- would sure love to see your picture! My favorite subject is rocks- and native americans, which I cannot begin to paint!!

Mikki Petersen
10-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Whoo Hoo!!!!!

I knew that painting was a winner! I still think it should go into the Arts for the Parks Competition. Congratulations Kat! that has to be very satisfying after all that work.

Mikki

Kathryn Wilson
10-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Christy, Purples, Mikki - I am sincere in saying that if it hadn't been for all the members of this forum, I wouldn't have come this far without your encouragement and the teaching of our brilliant professionals.

K Taylor-Green
10-08-2005, 03:59 PM
YIPPEEEEEEEE!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
You go girl!! Very well deserved! I know how you struggled with it, and am very happy you persevered on this.

Paula Ford
10-08-2005, 05:53 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Fantastic Kat!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations!

Bringer
10-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi,

Lots of congratulations ! And some more !

Regards,

Josť

Kathryn Wilson
10-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Thanks Kate, Paula, Bringer! I wish I'd hear from the other two people I've asked to post their photos - they were terrific paintings.

I've been evaluating the past few days since this event where I want to go from here. This is a goal I wanted to reach and have been working towards it - now here I am. A good place to be, but what is next? Guess I'll go post in the goals thread and gather thoughts together in one place.

Khadres
10-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Wow, I totally missed that that ptg was so BIG! Fantastic! Congrats and good wishes for many more awards in the future!

:clap: :wave: :clap:

meowmeow
10-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Yowzer Kat! Congratulations! You must be so pleased and you should be. It's a beautiful painting,, you worked hard and you deserve this! Good for you!!!!! I'mproud of you!

Sandy

Piper Ballou
10-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Kat, FANTASTIC, Bryce canyon is one of my most favorite places.
Piper

angecald
10-09-2005, 11:25 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Congratulations, Kat! :clap: :clap: :clap: I followed your struggle with this painting. You so deserve the award. How about sharing the judge's nice comments? :)

SweetBabyJ
10-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Comgratulations, Kat- you worked so hard on this and it turned out very well. Good luck- you deserve this recognition.

Trilby
10-10-2005, 01:12 AM
BRAVO, BRAVO

WHO HOOO.
If I could find some roses, I'd throw them at you.
Way to go girl. But are we surprised? NOT! This is a beautifully done painting with which you persevered and stayed true to your vision even while taking guidance.

Great job and well deserved honors! Where to go from here? On to the next one which will be just that bit better--onward and upwards.
TJ

Kathryn Wilson
10-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Yow, I got behind on thanking folks - Sooz, Sandy, Agnes, Julie, Piper and TJ - I really can't express how special all your congrats makes me feel. You guys are the greatest!

I heard from Lori White (a WC member, but does not post often). She lives in Raleigh and we paint plein air from time-to-time - and she uses OP's too! So here is her entry (a stunning still life)(because of the lighting in the room, I had to take photos from an angle):

BTW, I used non-glare glass on my painting and was well pleased. It tended to be dark if the lighting was not good, but all in all it did not affect the painting at all.

Paula Ford
10-10-2005, 01:55 PM
That really IS a lovely still life!!

Paula

pigmentality
10-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Kat,
Thanks for posting my painting.

Paula, thanks for the comment.

The Pastel Society show is really wonderful. And Kat's first place is well-deserved. It is an outstanding painting.

I'd love to read and post on WetCanvas more often, but the pesky day job gets in the way. Really love this website. I have learned so much from all of you.

Take care,
Lori

Kathryn Wilson
10-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Hi Lori! Glad to do it - would love to post more paintings, but feel it would be unethical without their permission. Your still life deserves to be shown - very easy on the eyes - :)

We are going to start up a still life project sometime soon - hope you find time to join us.

Deborah Secor
10-11-2005, 12:41 AM
Well, let me be one of the last to hug you and say this is very well deserved! :wink2: I have to agree, I had no concept that this one was so large. I was thnking 12x18-ish... Very impressive in this scale!

We all stood here and oohed and ahhed, made a couple of suggestions, & patted you on the back, but not one of us got any pastel under our fingernails from this one. YOU are the one who did this painting.
:clap:

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
10-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Dee - this is on a full sheet of Art Spectrum 16 x 20, with a 2 1/2" mat and a 3 1/2" frame.

I found that I did like working this large and being able to do all the little details - certainly helped my eyesight!

Thanks for the pat on the back - that's very special to me :)

scall0way
10-11-2005, 09:57 AM
TOOT TOOT! Wow, toot away. This is wonderful, and what a fabulous painting. Well deserved. I wish I could have been in Raleigh to see the show.

Orchidacea
10-11-2005, 12:54 PM
How did I miss this?

Kat, this is fantastic!! And well-deserved. You worked hard and earned all the accolades you've received for this one. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

khourianya
10-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Congratulations, Kat. I meant to pop in earlier to add my bit, but it has been a crazy week. I am so incredibly happy for you. You wirked hard on this painitng and you certainly deserve the honours that come with it!!!

prestonsega
10-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Kat....CONGRATULATIONS...I remember your working on this..... it really shows well in mat and frame.......I am not surprised you came away with the blue..... :clap: :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
10-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Boy, let me tell ya - all these clappies and pats on the back really mean something to me - thanks Cori, Kim, Debbie and Preston. Love you guys - :)