PDA

View Full Version : New to Clayboard Etching

Trilby
10-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone. These are my 4th and 5th piece in Clayboard art. Both are 8x10, meant as a pair, entitled "The Wait Before The Dances Begin" I am working on a series of Native American Images. Normally I'm working in pastels and hanging out in that forum but only pastels are posted there so here I am. I think it's totally ridiculous that scratchers end up all over WC without some central forum to showcase in and share support. I needed a change of pace and turned to clayboard as a brand new medium to me. I'm having a ball and technique is improving with each piece. size reduction and compression have left these more "dotty" looking than in RL In RL the transitions are smoother.
These are based on images by Crias who I believe posts here as a scratcher.
I would like your response to these.
Thanks.
TJ

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/58664-HPIM3385a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/58664-HPIM3387a.jpg

Mary Woodul
10-08-2005, 09:15 AM
I think this is completely stunning. The decorative work on it is beautiful and the effect you have left on the face is too.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

valchina612
10-08-2005, 09:28 AM
TJ, welcome to Mixed Media -- it's great to see you here. OMG your scratchwork is absolutely outstanding. There's no doubt about you, your Pastels are superb, and your new medium is equally as wonderful. The detail, and the light and shade is just stunning. I can't wait to see more TJ.

Val. :wave:

Orchidacea
10-08-2005, 03:36 PM
TJ, these are stunning! Really. They're powerful, moving images. This has to be some of your best work to date.

I can't wait to see what effect this scratch work has on your pastel work. You'll have to report the differences you experience when you get back to your sticks.

Hello all--I'm a visitor from the pastels realm....I'm interested to see what goes on over here!

Troy Rochford
10-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Wow this is fantastic! Thanks Mary for sending this my way:) I will definitely have to look into how to do this!

antgeek
10-08-2005, 05:45 PM
these are fabulous! what tools did you use? wish i could see irl!

Trilby
10-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Wow, I couldn't have asked for a better reception here. Thanks guys. Thanks for the welcome Mary, Val what a terrific compliment all the way around, I'm blushing. Kim expect my pastels to be a bit more impressionistic with a little more of the concept of "Less is more" I have explored light ,and bright, hot colors, now I would like to explore the shadows. Troy, yes do try this. I'm intriqued with your signature line image, Serra, thank you so much. I used a bent pocket knive, an exacto, the 5pin nib, the broad nib and the fiber brush from the clayboard tool kit. And yes they look better in RL.
As I do more I'll post them. I'm working on a series of Native Americans, but the next piece to be started tomorrow is a large stag in the mountains, then perhaps a piece motivated by the Gulf States disasters.
Thanks again.
TJ
TJ

myorca
10-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Welcome to a new scratcher!!! Very nice work! Look forward to seeing more!!

Bob

Obedec
10-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Took my breath away....welcome to a great group.
Karen H

Trilby
10-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Bob, Karen, thanks so much for the warm welcome and the wonderful words of support. This neighborgood has as great a group as my dusty hood in the pastel forum. I look forward to further participation. I've checked out some of the work shown here and I am sure among some talented folk so your kind words mean a great deal and have spurred me on.

TJ