PDA

View Full Version : Aya Sophia

RobS
10-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi everybody,
I'm so inspired by this beautiful building that I had to put it on canvas (paper!). I am fairly new to watercolor but it was a lot of fun to paint and I think it turned out pretty good!
I had to scan the painting in two parts so sadly the image is not of a good quality.
c&c always welcome...
thx Rob.:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/67988-Aya-Sophia.jpg

ale.l
10-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi,
Good perspective on the building and minarets. It's a good painting, isn't it.
The only nit if you allow me would be the black color of the shrubbery. I would like to see it more colorful. Perhaps it's just the scan.
What size is it and which paints did you use?

RobS
10-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi Ale,
thx for your comments. The painting itself is much more colorful and alive than the scan reveals. It is painted on 30 x 40 cm watercolor paper with W&N Cotman paint.
Rob

Lynn Quinn
10-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Very nice, Rob! You did better than I usually do at putting together a 2-part scan! My son showed me how to do it in Photoshop to get rid of the line, but I always have to ask him again! I really like all the colour you've got in the building.

laudesan
10-08-2005, 06:20 AM
:wave: Hi Rob.

Your are far to good an artist to be using cotman paints..:) Do yourself a favour and buy some artist grade paints..

What was the paper you used and what weight. We like to know these things, I helps visualise the painting, and also help with critique/comment..

You need a digital camera..;) I can't scan in 2 parts and stitch them together.. You did good.

This really is a lovely painting!!! I can't wait to see more!!

painterbear
10-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Hi Rob,

That building truly is inspirational in many, many ways, isn't it. Did you know it was the largest dome in the world for almost 1,000 years until the Italian Renaissance?

I think you did a wonderful job with the building showing its shape and bulk. I like the way you did the shadows under the central arch. The mineret on the left seems to be tilting away from the building, but perhaps that is the scan and not the painting.

Lovely work.

Sylvia

RobS
10-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi MLQ, laudesan, painterbear (Sylvia) :wave:
Thank you all for your nice and supporting comments.
laudesan: I have a digital camera, but the battery broke down so I ordered a new one. A friend of ours will soon give me some advice on photographing a painting.
I recently bought some Daler-Rowney Artists paint that will definitely improve the colors.
Sylvia: you are right, the minaret is tilting a bit, but it looks worse on the scan than on the painting itself. Hopefully I will one day visit Istanbul, It seems like a very inspirational city, because of its history.
Rob :)

painterbear
10-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Rob,

I do hope you get the opportunity to visit Istanbul. It does have a wonderfully fascinating history through all its incarnations.

The Aya Sophia contains some of the most beautiful, exquisite mosaics I've ever seen. The artist who made them was a true genius. (I am wild over mosaics and make it a point to seek them out when we visit places like Istanbul and Ravenna in Italy plus Roman ruins in Pompeii, Ostia Antica, etc..)

I think you'll find using your new Daler-Rowney paints will be a delight too.

Sylvia