PDA

View Full Version : Blue Gryphon

Maffet
10-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Hello.
I am good girl this week and so I paint a lot and I have something new on working desk to show you and have to admit that I have great fun with this. O.k. Some two months ago I was asked to paint something for book of young writers for free. Hmmm... I did it with colored pencils, but I wasnt happy with results at all. In fact they were happy for picture, but I was highly unsatisfy. There was some good points but I also did planty of mistakes. So I got idea to do it with watercolors and with diffrent point of view - but similar scene. Here is how I was fighting with this topic from total beginning

Here is original colored pencil:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/8104-00_prvnivarianta.jpg .

And here is my new sketch. As you see. I removed side panels, I left shinning apples, changed lady with lantern, so she is standing now and I dont want to paint another dragon (I painted too many of them and I am a bit tired) ... so gryphons are now my sweethearts. I also left idea of round bridge. I think this composition is more full and you know what is on picture, when first one was too busy and main character too small.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/8104-05_skica.jpg

Well. I started yesterday watercolor version - size is A3 again and I use umton colors, together with old school colors. :-)

Here I started with face:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/8104-01_zacatek.jpg

laudesan
10-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Good Grief Jana, I think the original one is just lovely!!

Am pulling up a chair here, if you think original is not good, then this one is going to be out of this world drop dead gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

stewy2
10-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Jana
I am always thrilled to watch one of your WIPs.
You are soooooo talented.

Karl

Maffet
10-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Jupeeeee ... I post another step. I will try to finish as much as I can because I just recived message that I am leaving for weekend with friends today and not tomorrow, as I thought.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/8104-02_postava.jpg

Judy btw ... still nothing, but doctors say that they will take child to the world during weekend. I will be till sunday away, but just as I come home I will jump to WC and will write fastly hot family news :-)

:-) Karl ... thank you. I hope I will not disapoint with this one.

laudesan
10-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Judy btw ... still nothing, but doctors say that they will take child to the world during weekend. I will be till sunday away, but just as I come home I will jump to WC and will write fastly hot family news :-)

(((Hugs to mother to be))) This is so exciting..:D

RobS
10-07-2005, 09:26 AM
WOW maffet.....breathtakingly beautiful..!!!
Rob

mmcaloon
10-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Jana your work always takes me to the world of magic. I'm with JJ saw nothing work with the first can't wait to see this version.

Sharon Douglas
10-07-2005, 10:04 AM
This is wonderful so far Jana, but I liked the first one too.

Maffet
10-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Hello this is going to be my last post before weekend. I will return back to home sunday evening. This is result of my work from all this day. I think I did planty of work on it. :-)))) And it's exactly how I had it in my head. Lol! Have a lovely weekend and see you soon. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/8104-06_stavpatek.jpg

Lynn Quinn
10-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Jana, I would have been very happy with the first one, but you know what you want, and this is going to be spectacular!

Granny R
10-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Absolutley splendid. I like the first one as well, but this is another masterpiece.
Ruth

T Christensen
10-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I love the TREES :wink2:...........TerryC

Yorky
10-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Another beautiful work of art in progress!

Excellent work, Jana :clap:

Doug

mmcaloon
10-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Coming along as expected Just Wonderful like I said the world of magic.

mustcreate
10-07-2005, 06:17 PM
I am so impressed with your originality and how you get what is in your head onto the paper

looking so great Jana!!

have a happy weekend auntie Jana;)!!

em

laudesan
10-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Wow Jana this is coming along very fast.

Isn't it wonderful when something works..!!

laudesan
10-08-2005, 06:13 AM
SAturday night here, I am on in and needles. Has it happened yet. Hurry up Jana come home tell us!! :D

CharM
10-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Hi Auntie Captain Jana! The magnitude of your imagination leaves me in awe... I love what you do and how you do it... Your coloured pencil cover is beautiful, yet it pales in comparison to your next version... I would give my eye teeth to watch you work...

Like JJ, pacing and waiting... :D ((()))

painterbear
10-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Hi Auntie Captain Jana! The magnitude of your imagination leaves me in awe... I love what you do and how you do it... Your coloured pencil cover is beautiful, yet it pales in comparison to your next version... I would give my eye teeth to watch you work...

Like JJ, pacing and waiting... :D ((()))

Char has already said what I was thinking, so I'll just say "Likewise."

I think your second version is spectacular, even though the first was nice, I can see where you took your ideas and improved upon them.

Looking forward to hearing about your new little baby in the family when you return.

Sylvia

Oh, giving you my Merit award for the day for your outstanding work and dedication to getting your art the way YOU want it to be!

jaydiva
10-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Char has already said what I was thinking, so I'll just say "Likewise."

I think your second version is spectacular, even though the first was nice, I can see where you took your ideas and improved upon them.

Looking forward to hearing about your new little baby in the family when you return.

Sylvia

Oh, giving you my Merit award for the day for your outstanding work and dedication to getting your art the way YOU want it to be!

Like Char said and like Sylvia said!!!!

i loved the first one and the second is even better!!!
I'm also loving the trees!!!

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/32313-tn1.jpg

my new art website (http://www.diva-design.de/JBB/index.htm)

Sue Galos
10-09-2005, 01:17 PM
I like the first one but I really like this one! Can see why you wanted to change it - the closer version is much stronger - I wish had your imagination!!

Maffet
10-09-2005, 01:37 PM
So many posts here. Thank you soooooooo much. I will continue with this picture tomorrow, today I am bit tired after jorney, but weekend was brilliant. True Indian summer, very warm, sunny, fresh air, autumn nature. Simply Great! We had grill party, so I cant see any more food and specialy chicken meat. .... neveeeeeeeer. There was so much food like for army.

I am glad that you like that. First version have some good details, but I am affraid I dont rule with colored pencils. It works for something, but I have better control with watercolors. Second is stronger and mainly main object are much bigger and more clear. Lol! Do you know the moment, when I know that everything is going right ... I am still going around and have to look at this picture and love to watch it. Spent half an hour by painting and another by simply watching .... :D

KID's RAPORT: all family is very nervous. They sent back brother's wife to home from hospital and it's just an hour when she left to hospital again. It's 10th day after term. We all are very shaken .... hope this time it will be right time. It's going to be something like thiller movie .... very long ....

Mark G
10-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Jana,

I can't wait to see the rest. As usual your work is amazing. Hopefully you will be posting soon.

Hope all is well on the baby front!!!

Mark

laudesan
10-09-2005, 07:04 PM
KID's RAPORT: all family is very nervous. They sent back brother's wife to home from hospital and it's just an hour when she left to hospital again. It's 10th day after term. We all are very shaken .... hope this time it will be right time. It's going to be something like thiller movie .... very long ....

Ooooooooooooooooo hurry up baby..;) Char and I are pacing a whole in the carpet here..:)

Is baby here yet??????????????????? :D

JustjoGA
10-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Jana, your work is always breathtaking and your
brushes and your mind work so well together! :)

Best wishes to Mom, Baby and Aunt Jana

Jo in Georgia

tep394
10-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Jana: Your work is inspired. How did you get the blue so blue? Just wonderful!!!

Maffet
10-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Finaly I finished this picture. Jupeeeeeeeeeee.... as I was painting today ... all day I heard high voice of newborn Veronika behind wall. She is such a sweetheart. Dark hair and dark sharp eyes. I love to watch her. :p

O.k. here is my Blue Gryphon finished http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2005/8104-wc_finished.jpg

And here is bigger detail with main character as it is not very visible
on smaller version http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2005/8104-wc_detail.jpg

Lol! I had a happy week .... hope you will like that picture. . By the way as for my "merry alchemist"picture, ... somebody pointed that cat on picture is too fat. ... well ... he is really so fat in reality. I call him Garfield, but true was that nobody knows real model, so I repaired picture and made him more slim :evil: :p

Wishing you all lovely day.

painterbear
10-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Hello Auntie Jana,

Your blue gryphon painting is stunning. It is one of my favorites among many of your beautiful works. I really like the way the trees are supporting the vault of the sky above the lady's head and the way the gryphon has a golden tail and gold feathers along his back and neck. Wonderful little details like that make your paintings such a joy to look at.

If you think Veronika is fun now, wait until she is about 3 or 4 months old and begins to smile at you! Wow! does that have an impact. :D

Sylvia

laudesan
10-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Jana this is awesome. Look at that delicious light!!! All those gold shadows wow.........
The way your brick work glows in the light, all those stars in the sky.

Jana this is just beautiful..

You are right Sylvia the first time they smile and you realisse it is not wind, it is you they are smiling at is a real heart tugger...:)

Redwine
10-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Your work is amazing! I love watching the progress and seeing you accomplish putting what is in your head on paper. You are very inspiring to me. :)

Heather

laudesan
10-15-2005, 11:07 PM
P.S.

Where are the proud Auntie baby pics????? ;)

Mark G
10-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Jana,

As usual it is outstanding. Can you tell me how you did the water? I have a hard time with it and yours looks awsome.

Thanks
Mark

Maffet
10-16-2005, 04:10 AM
:-) Thank to all. I am so glad that you like it. As for Veronika, I was waiting for brothers photos from hospital, but he is very busy. Now is baby at home but I had poor chance to take photos as both parents are twisting around in high speed and I dont wont to be upolite, but I have my camera ready and I wait for moment when my SIL will accept it. You should see that panic when they come on friday at home and that chaos and shock is still there, I think it will calm down soon as care for baby become routine.
Mark. I was battling with water, I had no idea how to do it. So I did copy of what is on top to mirror it and I did it a bit darker shaded to blue with no stright shapes, also there is darker shadow on place where bridge meets water. I was just taking from memory how it should look .... but happily it looks like water :D

Yorky
10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Wow Jana! Glad I caught up with this - what a wonderful finish :clap: :clap: :clap:

As I remember, this one was for your pleasure, but I'm sure the publisher will find a book for it.

Doug

jaytee
11-07-2005, 07:50 AM
jana. I must come to the studio more often. I nearly missed this .......:eek:

but the bonus is ..........I got to relive the excitement of Veronikas arrival :)

T Christensen
11-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Jana ...are you around?.....How about checking out the Nov class ?..I think you would do an awesome Tree......TerryC

celticrichard
11-08-2005, 10:59 AM
pleasse maffet teach me... TEACH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE         

CharM
11-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Jana... I don't visit the Studio as often as I should and nearly missed your finish... Your colour is beautifully vibrant! I'm so glad this is what you envisioned... Terry's right... with your fertile imagination, a tree creature would be the perfect outlet for your talent!!!!

Maffet
11-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Lol :) Yorky it was for my pleasure, but it will be printed on cover of Fantasy Award short story compilation. It's book which is released each year and no commercial artist wants to do that, because it's for free, for young writers. So I gave them this picture.

JT it's because I am still a bit desorientated by new system, I will now put finished things also to gallery.

Char ......... :) I learnt not to worry of colors, but I have to admit that I have to still myself a bit. I would like to learn to use more natural or earth tones. I think I have too intensive palette. But I must admit this picture is my sweetheart now.

I am sad for I am soo flooded by work so I cant participate, but next week I will take some days off company to finish all work I have at home, so maybe I will try at least something very simple.

ripvanblair
11-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Stunning work Jana your attention to detail is excellent, what lovely colours------------well done-------Alan