PDA

View Full Version : mockups for my new website

adovbs
10-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a website for my beads and finished items. I have some mockups ready, and would appreciate some feedback on them. I'm trying to keep it "simple but elegant" so that the beads and jewelry will be the main focus. The color scheme is very neutral for that reason. Also, the pics that are on there are not necessarily the ones that will be on the finished site - I will have lots of newer stuff and will eventually be replacing them, but I haven't had time to get good pics of the newer items yet.

Here are the links to the mockup pictures:

http://www.teresamcguffey.com/index.jpg (the picture on this one will be replaced with whatever I consider my very best work at the time this goes online.)

http://www.teresamcguffey.com/about.jpg (the wording on this is still being worked out - for instance, I *think* Vetrofond is a US glass, but I could be wrong...if anyone sees something that's just plain wrong, please let me know? And "dining out ensemble" is just plain weird wording, but I am having a brain block there, lol.)

http://www.teresamcguffey.com/gallery.jpg (I'm not sure about the faded out "negative" of the beadstrand on the side menu. I may put up a version with just a plain black background and see if you guys think it looks better.)

I'm taking a class in a new web programming language, so I needed a project. I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone - make myself a (hopefully) nice web site and get a (hopefully) good grade for it, too! :eek:

Critiques are appreciated and *especially* any constructive critcism. I've got a pretty tough skin, so if you've got something to say, please do!

thanks,

Luthien
10-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Teresa,

I really like it! If you're going for simple yet elegant, I think you got it. It looks very professional, clean, streamlined and it definitely pushes your beads to the front. I think you've got a winner there!

semiabstract
10-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Nice site! Very professional and classy.

How about something along the lines of: "I want you to feel wonderful wearing my jewelry, whether for a special occasion, a night on the town, or at home with your favorite jeans."

adovbs
10-09-2005, 12:41 PM
How about something along the lines of: "I want you to feel wonderful wearing my jewelry, whether for a special occasion, a night on the town, or at home with your favorite jeans."

Wow, that is just *perfect!* Thank you!!! :clap::clap::clap:

adovbs
10-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi Teresa,

I really like it! If you're going for simple yet elegant, I think you got it. It looks very professional, clean, streamlined and it definitely pushes your beads to the front. I think you've got a winner there!

Thank you, Teresa!!! I'm going to try your suggestion of taking the "faded" beads off and see if I like it better that way, too. :wave:

semiabstract
10-09-2005, 09:38 PM
well you're very welcome! :)

BurningScentsations
10-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Teresa

The mock-ups look terrific! It should be a very nice web site.

I've got a question and a suggestion for you.

Q: Are you planning on using actual text in the web site or images of text? I know these are mock-ups, but since text looked like images of text, I thought I would ask. Be sure to use actual text so the search engines can search your pages.

S: On the first page, I would add some kind of welcome or greeting rather than just the menu. Also, the menu on the first page is in a different position than on all of the other pages. If you add some welcome text, then the menu can go into the same position as the rest of the pages.

Just my $.02. Let us know when it is up and running.

Good Luck!

Lloyd

TanjaJo
10-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Jeez, are you for hire? Great stuff. Beautiful.

adovbs
10-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Hey, Lloyd - yes, it'll be regular web language once it's up - and the text will be text. Thanks for asking!

And yeah, more text on the front page would help with search engine stuff, so I think I'll take your advice on that and make that change. Thanks again!

adovbs
10-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Jeez, are you for hire? Great stuff. Beautiful.

Hi TanjaJo - well, I do this for a living (web design and programming) but this site is actually a project for a programming class that I'm taking. If it turns out well, and anyone is interested, then I could possibly release it as a "website package" and customize it with special graphics for other beadmakers. I don't know if there is a need for it, but it's something I could look into when I get my site up and all the bugs tweaked out of the database and programming part.

Thanks!