PDA

View Full Version : Selling art out of your specialized subject area?

hairballsdotcom
01-18-2002, 07:59 PM
EXAMPLE:
My eBay ID is "cat-artist".
I sell cat art.
BUT I have other subjects.

Should I...
Go ahead and use my 'cat' account to sell other subjects? Does selling other subjects somehow degrade or dilute the status of a specialized subject account that I'm working hard to develop a reputation for?

Should I...
Create a NEW 2nd 'art' account for anything thats not cats? This would be my preference, BUT I'm wondering if its going to be a pain to keep track of yet another account. If I create a 2nd account, will I have to use a different credit card? and set up a new Billpoint account?

Does anyone here operate under more than one account?

I just can't decide -- HELP me. Whats your opinion.

CarlyHardy
01-18-2002, 11:37 PM
I had an ID from several years ago...but when I decided to post my artwork on ebay I wanted an arty name, so I changed my user ID. Didn't create a second account. I don't really know the ins and outs of that. I know a lot of folks do have more than one ID.

For the question about the change in subject...
With so many folks who love buying 'cat' art, I'd keep that identity since you have a following and probably a lot of your clients have you bookmarked! You might consider another name that would not be subject specific but one that could link your cats together with any other artwork that you post. Your About Me page could give info to each other and if you decided to stay with just one ID...it would be easier for clients looking for your art if they were acclimated to both ID's.

Did I make sense?
carly

Sumafra
01-19-2002, 01:01 AM
Lori, the problem with a 2nd ID is that you have worked hard at establishing your reputation and getting your feedback rating, you'd be starting all over again. People have come to know you by your ID. I think you could keep the same ID but use a different name in your title and description for your other work. You might want to adjust your About Me Page to indicate that you have both kinds of work. Also, maybe refer to a special page on your website that would be for the other work?

Caron
01-19-2002, 10:40 AM
I agree with Sumafra. She is suggesting a good setup. You dont necessarily have to set up another user name and her point on feedbacks is a good one. A lot of buyers rate the seller by this and since you are on your way with feedbacks, let it build. It would be less confusing for you...
Caron

CathyD
01-19-2002, 12:13 PM
I too think you should keep your same id. I have tried different subjects, even styles and have received a good response on them. My medium is watercolor and eventually I want to dabble in other mediums, but first and foremost I am a watercolor artist. My main type of art is realism, but I have put up for action folk art and other styles that depart from my main body of work. I have received great feedback and people haven't seemed to mind that I am not doing just one thing.
The experience I have had with galleries is that they like you to have a body of work that builds a clietele and is easily recoginized as your work. But I think eBay gives us the freedom to explore and put on auction anything our heart desires. I love that feeling. It really makes the creative juices flow!

I like Sumafra's suggestions, they are excellent.

Although people do search for you by ID, think of all the other folk that may not be searching for Cat art, but may stumble across your work by searching for something non-cat that you may have on auction. Hmmmm, sounds like more customers! Hooray!

hairballsdotcom
01-19-2002, 08:03 PM
THANK YOU for your views -- I've actually been struggling with this since I started auctioning things after Thanksgiving.
I just hadn't looked at the single CAT ID as being an asset -- Now I see that it could really 'work' for me while selling other subjects.
I didn't REALLY want to start a second account, I just thought I 'should'. Now I don't have to and I can get on with selling ANY subject I want!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Originally posted by CathyD
Although people do search for you by ID, think of all the other folk that may not be searching for Cat art, but may stumble across your work by searching for something non-cat that you may have on auction. Hmmmm, sounds like more customers! Hooray! EXCELLENT POINT!!! I think this one is the final point that convinces me to keep with my CAT ID, but also sell other subjects. I like the idea of altering the ME page just slightly to touch on the fact that I do other subjects and lead them to a web page with more details. BUT even more exciting is the thought that someone looking for "whatever" subject may be THRILLED to discover my cat art!

Epicurea
02-03-2002, 08:01 PM
Question: If you change your user ID, you still keep all your feedback from the previous ID, right?

C

Caron
02-03-2002, 08:23 PM
Yes, you do keep your feedback but you do go back to wearing shades..
Caron

Epicurea
02-03-2002, 08:27 PM
Good! My husband & I have previously used our ebay account only a couple of times to buy, but got good feedback. I was wanting to change the user ID but keep the feedback, and I didn't see this explained anywhere in Ebay's help pages. Thanks!

C