PDA

View Full Version : Web Site & Auctions?

Luann
10-05-2005, 11:33 AM
May I ask for critique on both? If so, I would be most appreciative of critique. I can take it. Really. My style of beads is generally organic, and generally designed for bracelets, and generally more on the simple side. Well, you will see. I have a pretty good following, usually, since I've been on eBay for years. Sometimes they sell really well (!) and sometimes, like this week, not so well...(no bids so far...very unusual) I have heard back about the orangy crystals in the "Caramelot" set...too orange, and I agree. But???

My web site sort of took on a life of it's own, and maybe needs an update, more contemporary??

Thanks in advance.

Luthien
10-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Hi Luann,

Your beads are gorgeous, I really like the crackled set that you've got up right now, no critiques from me on your work, I love it. Your website is pretty easy to navigate, but it is a bit confusing to the eye, there is so much there on the front page. A more contemporary look couldn't hurt. I think all websites need a face-lift after a while. They do tend to take on a life of their own, as you say, and can get a bit sprawling and crowded. Believe me, your site is not bad, but if you felt like re-doing or re-organizing, it couldn't hurt.

Luann
10-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Teresa: Thanks so much for the feedback. (AND the compliments on my beads!) My brother designs web sites and has been saying that it's way too cluttered. Too many type faces and sizes, and not pleasing to the eye. I've been thinking of doing something, and now I will. It really does need a face-lift! I appreciate your comments. Sometimes, it's better to hear from a disinterested viewer...and someone in our business. Of course, I'll tell my brother that it was because of HIS comments. haha. Thanks again.

rosebead
11-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Teresa: Thanks so much for the feedback. (AND the compliments on my beads!) My brother designs web sites and has been saying that it's way too cluttered. Too many type faces and sizes, and not pleasing to the eye. I've been thinking of doing something, and now I will. It really does need a face-lift! I appreciate your comments. Sometimes, it's better to hear from a disinterested viewer...and someone in our business. Of course, I'll tell my brother that it was because of HIS comments. haha. Thanks again.
Listen to your brother! He is right about the website. It wasn't easy to look at - way too discombobulated- too many types too much going on.
your work is not shown off well there.
Your work deserves a better site :D
hope I'm not too mean- but you wanted the truth :)

Luann
11-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Diane: Oh, you ARE mean!!! (Naw....just kidding!!) But I'm sure glad you didn't see it until now. I've cleaned it up a lot, but still thinking about a major overhaul. It's hard because I like to have a "chat", I like to promote my auctions, and other stuff. Guess I'd better call my brother. I'm thinking about a new, more sophisticated design, but it's hard to work with the name, and the fact that I'm in Arizona now. Well--- me, my life AND my web page is all a jumble.

I do want to thank you for taking the time to look at it and comment. And I appreciate the compliments too. I'll try again, and ask again for comments. Is there anything I can do for you?? THANKS.

Lenda
11-04-2005, 02:27 PM
So am I looking at the new version or the original version today? I think it's pretty organized, but I'm not sure if you've worked on it since the comments or not. Comments are only on the home page so far.

These are short and to the point, hope it doesn't offend!

On my screen the font seems to be a little large and hard to read (color and size) in your Web specials column, also on your Ebay auction column for my eyes anyways. Then the font is too small where your daily postings are. I also would rather see less colors in fonts across the whole site too, there's a lot of them! Try to harmonize them.

I'd like to see a link to your blog in your nav bar and a link to auctions instead of it being talked about on your homepage.

Here's honesty for you, I don't like that vote for me thing either. What do you win if they DO vote?

Ok, so those are just some of the things I see from your home page, I don't have time to look anywhere else. :)

Luann
11-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi Lenda:

Thanks so much for taking the time and commenting. What you were looking at is a sort-of cleaned-up version. I have yet to do a major redo. And of course, I don't take offense to comments that I have asked for. I really do appreciate it. My fonts look fabulous on MY screen, but they do NOT on my husband's screen, and apparently not on yours. It's weird. I guess I need to use a more common font, though I always thought that Trebuchet was pretty common. According to my brother, the web designer (who thinks it's best if I do my own, the little devil), there are only a few fonts that look "correct" on everyone's screen.

Yes, I think you are right about getting my chitty chatty stuff off of the home page, but of course, I think it's SO important that everyone see it. (I know. It's not really.)

I usually have photos of my auctions on my home page, well, lately anyway (though I'm off e-Bay for a while, giving JustBeads a try), because it does generate more hits that click through to my auctions. And some people check out my auctions just by looking at the home page, which may not be the best thing. Don't really know. That doesn't leave much for the home page, if I move everything off. But, maybe that's better. I'm going to a whole new design, and may give that a try.

Frankly, I hate the dumb little "vote" things too. I don't exactly "win" anything, but if I can stay in the "top 25," I get tons of hits back to my web site and have picked up several new customers that way. It's cheap (well, FREE, actually) exposure.

My objective in having a web site is to sell, not necessarily be the most beautiful and creative site. It is a business even though it began as a hobby 6 years ago. I sell quite a bit of bead sets via special orders from the "Lampwork Beads" page, and occassionally, jewelry. This year, I have generated more revenue from my web site than from e-Bay, which is a first for me. So I think that some of it is working. I also know that it could be lots better. It's the old advertising adage: "I know that half of my advertising budget it wasted. But I don't know which half."

Thanks again, Lenda. Much appreciated. By the way, your photos on your "beads" page are showing. FYI.

Lenda
11-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Luann, the changes you've made are just FABULOUS!!! And I pm'd you in case you don't see it. Great job girl!:D :clap:

Luann
11-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Lenda: I did see your PM, but the WC site was down...then I got distracted. I'll go read it now.

But thanks so much for not only looking, but commenting. I'm pleased with your response. See.....I do listen. It's a struggle for me, though, not to glob it all up. You may have to keep checking to see that I don't slip back.

Thanks again. I appreciate you taking the time more than you know.

PolychromeBeads
11-20-2005, 04:00 AM
Well, I actually like having the blog/chat on the home page. Sometimes I pop into a site briefly just to see what some folks are up to. I might not do that if I have to click again to get to the blog.

You have some wonderful beads, Luann! I like the fact that you have so many different styles. I can't pin myself down to a particular style, either. It says "creativity" to me.

My only negative is that there seemed to be a lot of scrolling up and down on the home page. Maybe that's what folks mean when they say to tidy it up a bit.

Aimee
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/18777-jet5.jpg