PDA

View Full Version : Vendor at Castelo de Sao Jorge

tremblad
10-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Hello to you all :wave: ,

I am still experiencing different things with the knife and try to find a style that fits me. When I look at all your fabulous works, I tell myself that maybe I don't deserve to post here but your critics are sooooo appreciated!

So, here is my last attempt (12x16 on hard board). There are many things I don't feel I did right ( :eek: like the foreground, the shadow of the background tree at the right, the light on the foreground tree, the table clothe, etc.) but there are a few things I like (the wall looks good IRL). And I feel that a few things are missing in there (big empty spaces: the left part of the wall, the bottom right part of the foreground, etc.). Anyway, I enjoyed doing this experiment and I think that it is all that matter for now, considering where I stand in my artistic journey!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/45252-MWSnap111_2005-10-04-20_47_56.jpg

I also show you the reference picture taken in the Castelo de Sao Jorge in Lisbon.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/45252-MWSnap110_2005-09-19-12_41_31.jpg

I first wanted to paint the man in front of the table but now, I hesitate. Not really because I fear to mess everything (could this be worst?). But mainly because I think that if I put the man there, it will confound with the tree (kissing problem) and that this will not look good. I thought about putting the man in the light area right of the foreground tree but then, he will be too far from the table and that might look strange to paint him "talking" to the girl at the table. So, I didn't and I probably won't paint it. Some may say that I should have thought about the comp of the painting BEFORE opening your paint jar and you are right. Lesson learned! :o

As always, your critics are more than appreciated. Have a nice day!

laudesan
10-05-2005, 12:26 AM
I LIKE your painting.

Did you mean for yours to be uphill..;) It works!!

I think you just need some more lights in places and call it done..

I grey scaled your painting and your pic to show you what I mean.. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/22284-AA.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/22284-AAA.jpg

Maybe darken her hair and the tree trunk as well.. :)

Nitsa
10-05-2005, 05:28 AM
I LIKE your painting.

Me too! :D

Your palette of earth tones make it feel really warm and sunny. I agree with JJ on the highlights, I would mix a warm white with a little yellow in and just touch a few areas in the foreground and the table.
I would lose the shadow in the distance near the RHS of the tree and perhaps replace it with a dapple of sunshine.

I agree with not putting the 2nd figure in. You have made your figure feel quite deep in thought/reflective and adding further figures would spoil that.

It's good to see you on the forum, don't be so down on yourself this is good work...and with a knife!!! :eek:
Well done!

Jon
10-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Just to add my two cents -
I absolutely love the warmth of your painting!!!
I agree, leave the guy out; theres something very pensive about your solitary figure.
Nice - WTG :clap:

bjcpaints
10-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Bonjour Daniel, If you don't deserve to post here, then I don't even deserve to look at your work! LOL Seriously, You have posted many interesting paintings and I am impressed with the way you challenge yourself. Your instincts are good on the composition and you are getting good advice here. Keep painting and posting!!
Best wishes, Barbara

tremblad
10-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Thank you for looking at this.

JJ (Laudesan) and Nitsa, the lack of variation in value is definitely one of my numerous problems right now. It looks like all values are in the middle (your B&W view of this really show this). That has been the same with my recent attempts also. I will have to work on that.

This beeing said, maybe the photo taken is not quite accurate of what the colors really are. The light IRL is "whiter" than it appears on this picture. I love strong shadows and strong lights and I really have to get out of this middle value everywhere trap ...

Nascent, thank you for your kind word ...

Barbara, Merci beaucoup for your comments on my instinct. You made my day with it! I don't feel I am challenging myself too much. I want to try multiple things. In this particular one, I wanted to get out of my usual blue/green/yellow (sky-trees-grass) by trying to do something in red-orange-yellow-brown. I just want to see what I am more comfortable with. I love to put figures in my painting and I will certainly practice that more.

I might rework this one to apply your good suggestions. I might also enlarge the table and the figure (nearer the reference) considering that I will not paint the man. I'll see.

Thanks again.

Have a nice day everyone ...

laudesan
10-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Have a look at this thread........ http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247825

I know it is waterc olours, but the principal is the same..

JJ