PDA

View Full Version : Horse (air dry clay)

diane555
01-18-2002, 04:24 PM
Decided I had to try one of these air dry clays I purchased a while ago before they turn to stone on me. This particular one is a clay called Marblex by Amaco. Had the same problem you all mentioned in that this clay has a really limited workability time. After only a half hour of working time I noticed a remarkable drying of the entire piece, which I didn't like. I spent a total of 1 1/2 hrs on this (which is why it looks so odd) and had to do several repairs as the legs were drying so quickly that they started becomming brittle as I worked on other areas.

I suppose I should have chosen a different subject with no thin areas such as these legs but I wanted to see just how brittle the piece is after drying. The box said you cannot use an armature due to the shrinkage and what a challenge it is working with a clay that wants to slump and have no armature inside. It also said the piece should be hollowed out, which makes sense for more even drying. I will say that after just over an hour it was firm enough to handle to easily hollow out. I covered with damp cloths and we will see what happens in a day or two. You will probably see a crumbled mess in the next pic :D

Di
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2002/airdry1.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2002/airdry2.jpg

MKathleen
01-18-2002, 08:18 PM
Di, Dam you too?:eek: so your curiousity got the better of you!:evil: There must be a special purpose for this type of clay other than to foil folks. Maybe it's just meant as a quick craft like coiled bowls/pots. It's not meant for the modeling of detail or thin application.:confused:
I did find after I covered it up over night in plastic with a damp cloth it was workable. Though still not workable in the thinner areas ears, nose etc. So I would say it's a clay for a fast project!;)
The horse looks like it's coming together well, lots of action!
Will look for the next installment!
Just an observation Di, your to good an artist sculptor to waste your time with this air-dry clay!;)

Best,
Kathy

Phyllis Rennie
01-18-2002, 09:01 PM
I suspect that the air dry clays might be for kids and beginners who want to test sculpting before they invest in better materials. Since you're already used to the better clays, this one will probably frustrate you. Maybe not--if you keep your mind open and try experimenting.

max nelson
01-21-2002, 07:11 PM
Hi Di..well, looks like all you die hards insist on besting this air dry clay medium. One thought I had after reading of everyone's experience with the drying problem would be to use a mister (spray bottle with some water). That is common practice when working with 'wet' clay and since this clay must have some water in it then it should work. Nice work.
Max

Phyllis Rennie
01-21-2002, 09:43 PM
I did use a spray bottle with water on mine, Di. Just a couple of times during the hour that I was working.