PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic retarder

Fosho
10-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Just bought some Liquitex retarder and wanted to know which is the best way to use it. I've heard of some people adding it to the water where they keep their brushes.

Any suggestions, etc are greatly appreciated.

Keith2
10-04-2005, 05:46 AM
I wouldn't mix it with water in a pot as it dilutes the effectiveness of the retarder.

You normally mix it with the paint on the palette, the proportions are usually about 1 of acrylic to 3 of pigment.

Einion
10-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Just bought some Liquitex retarder and wanted to know which is the best way to use it. It's usually a good idea to follow the manufacturer's printed guidelines for retarders fairly closely as too much can cause definite problems.

If you're using heavy-body acrylics it's best to mix retarder into the paint with a knife to ensure it's thoroughly blended; making a retarder/water mixture wouldn't be a bad idea if you're intending on using the paint fairly thin but don't just add it to your water jar (it'll dilute it too much) just put maybe a spoonful of each into a small container off to one side.

Einion

bionicanaconda
10-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Many years ago, I was told to make sure that there is some retarder in the ferrule (?sp) of the paint brush to make it easier to clean and I find it hard to get going until I have done this ritual.

It is a hint I read in the Jo Sonja guide I think.