PDA

View Full Version : 'The Imbiber' ...WIP half way

amaze_1101
10-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi. This is unfinished yet but you can get the general idea of what it's about. I will be finishing his hand today and tidying up areas in the background, then will work more on the wine glass. The wine glass in the ref pic is full of reflctions so watch this space if you are into glass. I hope I can get it right.
Any C&Cs always appreciated.

16" x 14" on stretched canvas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2005/41055-The_Imbiber_1.jpg

Lady Carol
10-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Looking great so far. I will definitely be watching for the finish of this.

tremblad
10-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Hello Elaine,

Let me tell you that I really like your subject and that I have not doubt that you will make a beautiful painting out of it.

I'm relatively new to painting and still an amateur. So don't take my comments as cash! Since you are halfway done, I thought it would be better to tell you the two small things that I saw!

One of the first thing I saw in your painting is the presence of an ellipse in the right side of the painting (shown in yellow). I see a line in the background that follow almost exactly the wine line in the glass. About the same thing appears to me at the base of the glass.

The other thing is the source of light, which is obviously coming from the top-left (arrow #1). But, we can also see evidence of light coming from the bottom of the painting (arrow #2) et from the bottom right (arrow #3). Maybe these two last sources light are reflection of the main source on a table or something like that. Maybe it is intented this way and if so, it may well be correct to show them like that. But, myabe there is also too much light on the fingers ... I let you judge that!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2005/45252-MWSnap111_2005-10-03-14_48_53.jpg

Keep going. This is beautiful.

amaze_1101
10-03-2005, 05:45 PM
You are right about the eclipse. The strange thing is that it is just conicidence that it runs through the glass like that. It is actually poor background blending on my part. It is one of the things I mentioned earlier to be tidied up.

As for the lighting on the hand. The reflected lighting on the underside of the palm and fingers is where much of the interest is for me. So yes, it is definitely intended to be there. On the ref pic there is no indication where that reflected lighting is from but I'd say it is the sunlight in the top left reflecting off barrels or similar back up onto the hand.

Thanks for taking the time.

gaykir
10-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Can't wait to watch the progress. I'm very interested in the glass (& the wine!). Please post as you go along so some of us can learn. Thanks so much, Gayle

Charlie's Mum
10-03-2005, 06:54 PM
I thought they were barrels in the bk/gd and this was in a wine cellar! .... so I assumed the different light sources were because of that !

There's a good deal of lovely painting here already, so I'm sure the result will be beautiful Elaine!

amaze_1101
10-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks for looking in folks.
Carlies Mum you are right they are wine barrels in the background.

The white reflections on the fingers tips and lower palm are from the stem of the glass but the pale orangy glow will most likley be from the surroundings reflecting the main light source.

Galekir I'm sorry, I didn't see your post asking for progress pics as I go along till just now, and I have just finished the painting. Sorry about that.

I will post the final pic in a new thread in this forum.