PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Oct 3 Thru 9

K Taylor-Green
10-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Good morning!! Welcome to our weekly chat thread, where we talk about our lives, kids, jobs, and pets. Come on in and visit with us.

Another grandson had a birthday. Austin turned 6. So we celebrated with a cook out. He had a good time playing on the trampoline with his cousins and friends from church. He was very pleased eith the Carhart coat we got him. Seems he had outgrown his old one, and little sister, Alyssa inherited it. Boy threw a fit!
Anyway, big change from last weekend's festivities and the stress that went with it.
Hope more of you check out our Fall/Pumpkin/Halloween thread. There are three versions of the landscape photo that I included. All are beautiful. And Halloween is coming. How about something scary?
We also have Jose's Monthly Link thread. Lots of interesting sites online pertaining to pastels!

khourianya
10-03-2005, 11:41 AM
This weekend was really busy with paintouts through VPON. What fun! I also managed to re-evaluate my goals and come up with a plan for the next year. We have a single monthly thread now that is stickied in Pastel talk, so if anyone is interested in following what we are up to - feel free to join in on the conversation over there!

Kayden turns 1 on Wednesday! ALREADY!!! I can't believe he is that old. I went shopping on saturday for a gift and foundhim some really great toys. Toys that will be indestructable even if he goes through a very destructive phase. We are having his birthday party in Lacombe on Sunday, which coincides with our Thanksgiving up here, so it will be a busy weekend for family stuff.

Somewhere along the way on Saturday, I managed to do some redecorating of my living room. It is starting to look like we live in this place. I EVEN HUNG SOME PICTURES!!! lol. I am determined to have all of my pictures hung up by Thursday, so when my mother in law arrives on Friday, it will look like we have been doing more than hanging out in our basement!!!

It is snowing here this morning. Not really cold, though, so I imagine it will stop soon and not hang around. It's a sign that winter is preparing to settle in. I hope it warms up a bit later in the week and for the weekend, so I can go out and paint a few more times. I have just hit my stride with my plein air work and really want to be outside painting, but Canadian winters can be harsh and I don't think I will be able to do much outside this winter.

The cold I have been fighting off has still not hit full force. half of my co-workers are off sick today, though, so I won't be surprised if I am off by later in the week.

Oh and last night I had a minor disaster with my new pastels website...lost everything. so now I am going to have to redevelop a bunch of it. One headache I don't need at the moment, but I do want an online presence so I guess it is necessary...

K Taylor-Green
10-03-2005, 12:11 PM
LOL, Cori, We are having what I think is unseasonably warm temps. Still mid 80s. Going to cool down by the end of the week though. So they say. I say Mother Nature does as she pleases.
Can't believe Kayden is already 1. I remember when we were waiting for his birth announcment!

Paula Ford
10-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Kate, You don't look old enough to be a grandmother!!

I did that landscape again for the Halloween thread. My goal this month is to paint water, so am redoing the painting with a different type of water. (I'm so rusty and miss my teacher so much.) Neither are any good, but they were fun and at least I'm practicing :D

Hope you feel better Cori. SNOW?? Got any pictures? Wish the weather would turn here. It's been in the high 80's. Just waiting for the leaves to turn. Can't wait!

All is well in Chattanooga. Have a good week everyone!

Paula

khourianya
10-03-2005, 02:12 PM
:( No photos. Today is the one day I forgot my camera inteh past 2 weeks. grrr. If it is still snowing when I get home, I'll snap a couple for you guys. Chances are, though, this will clear up before noon. I'm in canada, yes...but let's be realistic...it iso nly early October... :D

khourianya
10-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Oh my day is not going well today...big communications mix up here at work has me pulling my hair out. Then my workshop got cancelled. Between this and losing my webste last night I am just wanting to go home, pull the covers over my head and hibernate. :p

oh well, that's 3. Now things should start improving.

Trilby
10-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Aww, Cori don't you just hate weeks like that ? so sorry you facing one of them but yes, things can only go up from there.
Kate, One year old now, thats always fun. T'is the season for weather variables for sure. We are still wearing shorts by day and jackets by night now. Propane prices, like all fuels are soaring, makes me wish for a pellet stove for winter.

I'm slowly regaining energy today. Slept 14 hrs last night after collapsing in bed at 7:30 when I fell asleep in the midst of a painting DVD. I workded 12 hr. days at our annual Art IN The Park weekend starting on Friday, helping with registrations then helping those in need to do the physical set up of their booths. That afternoon I walked all around studying what people had and how they were using it to set up their booths--thinking ahead to next year when I hope to be a vendor there. Saturdya and Sunday I spent "tripping people and raiding their pockets for cash" as I approached visitors and vendors seeking to sell one or two raffle tickets. You may recall that at Sept's beginning I started a drive to have donated artworks to raffle off to raise funds for Hurricane survivors. On Sat. I hung our donated gallery, set up a can and tickets to sell with a sign and sat back briefly. It didn't take long to realize we wouldn't collect much money that way, so I set about hustling sales. It was great fun to visit with so many creative people. About 70% bought tickets. I raised over $500. If I do such a thing again I will put together a crew of "people trippers" so more can be sold. I had had no idea what exhausting work this could be. It was hot, my voice faded and I got a virulent case of hay fever, but I'm happy to have met my personal goal of money raised. Besides I was one of the winners.
Artists can be so sharing. As I made my rounds folks wanted to add to our prize pool so by day's end it had almost doubled. Artists were tickeled too, to share their show experience with me and give me words of wisdom and advice. One spent about an hour showing me how to build a display area like his, then how to do his type of scratch art, and finally sold me a print and tossed in a $20 instructional video for free.

The local art association has sponsored this show for 34 years building it into one of the largest and classiest, as well as best selling shows of this type in the country. I was really proud to be a part of it this year. But now I'm trying to get my energy back. and to catch up with all the many posts missed.
TJ

Pat Isaac
10-03-2005, 06:14 PM
You're right, Cori. 3 is a big thing. Things will be better now. I'd curl up under the quilts too. SNOW!!! Not a good word around here. Still enjoying a great fall.

Pat

angecald
10-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Well, Cori, all that and snow too! Things will start to get better soon, I'm sure. It hardly seems a year since your nephew was born. That first birthday is really wonderful. He doesn't know what a birthday is, but he'll love all the attention.

We've had some crisp days but our weather is very summery right now. Not that much colour in the leaves yet. I hope the nice weather isn't preventing it, but then you can't have everything. :)

In view of the high fuel prices, we've decided to start using our high-intensity stove for more than the occasional fire. Our furnace is natural gas, but as TJ says, all fuel is going up. We got a load of firewood delivered yesterday, and then I spent most of the day clearing the porch so I can stack it. Can't put it in the garage because the doors sometimes freeze shut in winter. Then I thought I should wash the windows that face the porch, as they might not be accessible once the wood is stacked. They say wood you cut (or stack) yourself warms you twice, or is it three times, or four? :D

I attended our Friends of the Library meeting in the evening. We are trying to raise $400,000 to add an extension onto the building. That's a lot of raffle tickets! Nobody in our group has a clue about fundraising or pr. Anybody know any good money makers?

Needless to say, I didn't paint yesterday, but today I'm going out to the park with my pastels.

Have a nice day, everyone.

Kathryn Wilson
10-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Wow, sounds like everyone is having a busy week - birthdays, work days, Art in the Park days - I just finished a stint of working every other day for two weeks. I now have 10 days free!!! Yippee - now I can paint again.

We are in severe drought down here - no rain for two months. I am praying fervently for some rain this week as our pond is at the lowest I've ever seen it and my dear fishies, turtles and frogs are certainly hurting.

Thursday I deliver a painting to the Pastel Society of NC show, reception on Friday - my first time showing with this group, so not sure quite what to expect.

Taking time to catch up on the boards and what everyone is up to - have a good week!

Muffin_4377
10-04-2005, 03:03 PM
I have just hit my stride with my plein air work and really want to be outside painting, but Canadian winters can be harsh and I don't think I will be able to do much outside this winter.

OHHHH Don't be such a wuss........Go put on a touque!!! :p :D

hmmmmm....Maybe I could organize something.....I'd call it P.E.P.E. "Pastel's Extreme Plein aire Experience". Have people come up here to paint out in our blissful winter. Folks would have to use pastel though, I really don't know what else you could paint with in -40 C . Could be the only workshop that would have high quality Sorels and snowshoes on the supply list...and you can leave your view finder at home....I'll show ya how to position your tourque and scarf so it does pretty much the same thing... :D :D :D LOL

Aside for the silliness.....everything here is going A-ok....Been messin' around with the new laptop hubby got for me...(I love portable Wet Canvas:) ) Getting into the groove of having a little one in school, which she is LOVING. And I'm elbows deep in apples. I was given 2 BIG boxes of apples from my Nonna's tree when I was in BC. Ladies I'm not kidding when I say there had to be 80-100lbs. I've been home for 2 wks and I'm still peeling and slicing. Geez.....You can only make so many apple pies. :rolleyes: ?

Apple recipes, anyone?

khourianya
10-04-2005, 04:27 PM
lol - well, you post your paintintgs when you are thawed out...I, meanwhile, will be practicing my still life setups in the warmth and comfort of my studio.

Well, it finally hit me today...that cold I have been fighting off. I am at home, bundled up and feeling like crap. Oh well..better that it hits now so I can kill it before Sunday when we go up for kayden's birthday.

Khadres
10-04-2005, 05:06 PM
You can actually get over a cold within a week??? Wowweee...takes me at LEAST a month and that's if it doesn't turn into pneumonia! Good luck! How bout a still life of Kleenex, VapoRub, and thermometer? :D

Bill Foehringer
10-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Cori, just keep going out as the weather changes. Go out as much as you have time for. You will acclimate. You'll already have plenty of cold weather clothes to dress up in. Mostly you'll need a very warm head covering and very good boots. Wear a couple of pairs of heavy cotton gloves with thumb and the next two finger-tips cut off. I tuck a pair of heavy gloves inside the front of my coat to keep them warm for when I need to thaw out my fingers. Keep moving around. Also drop your hands down once in a while to let the blood flow down. You should be able to work for a good hour or so around 15 F if the wind is low. Being one with the cold can yield winter paintings that you cannot create otherwise. And yes I am certifiable, LOL. BillF

Paula Ford
10-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Hi You Guys,

Had to pop in and tell you that I was looking at Susan Ogilvie's website and loved her work so much that I emailed her and asked what type of pastels she uses.

She wrote back and said "I use primarily Unison pastels, along with Schmincke and Sennelier. Those are really the only brands I use. (I do have some Diane Townsend Terrages (sp?) in dark values that I like alot."

She also said she had been to Wetcanvas, but she doesn't have much time to be online.

How exciting!

Paula

khourianya
10-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Well, Bill...since this will be my first winter doing plein air, I guess I can probably go buy some gloves (I'm a mitten girl - keeps my long skinny fingers warmer than gloves ever have) I think the challenge willbe in finding something other than brown to paint, but I may have a few chinook days where I can go out and paint near the river. I can imagine the combination of ice, snow and running water already. I guess we'll have to see what kind of a winter it is. If it is mild - it means bland and brown. If it is cold then chinook then cold it could mean interesting scenes. If it is hell froze over cold, then you wouldn't be able to pay me to see me paint outside! :D But I suppose that's what windows are for. Painting the outside from within.

I am being hopeful that the cold will go away this week. I just heard an announcement on the news tonight that my asthma control medication has just been rated as causing an "increased risk of death". Good stuff, eh. I've only been on it for 6 years now!

K Taylor-Green
10-04-2005, 11:02 PM
LOL Paula, you sound like me! I got all excited when I realized that Chris Saper is a member here. Celebrityitis. Hey, did I make a new word?

Had our monthly art guild meeting tonight, speaking of celebrities. Ceceil Baird is a member, and also our back up secretary. We didn't see much of her while she was writting her book, but now things are back to normal. Course, we aren't talking about pastels. She works in colored pencil. They are calling her book the definitive work in colored pencil. Isn't that something. Course, to us, she's just Ceceil!

khourianya
10-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Kayden turned one yesterday...and I had to show you all the cake picture my mom took.

His real party is on the weekend, so i am sure I will have some fabulous ones too...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2005/47843-kayden_first.jpg

I was back at work today, after 2 days off sick. Still feel like crap, but was getting too bored to stay at home...

CindyW
10-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Ha ha ha! Thanks for the cutie pie pic of Kayden, Cori! What a BLAST he had with that cake and all of it eaten up, of course! So sweet. You must have had to steer clear of giving him big kisses with your cold, how sad for you! Feel better quick.
Cindy

khourianya
10-06-2005, 11:23 PM
I actually didn't go up for his actual birthday. We are driving up on Sunday for his real b-day party...and Thanksgiving...

CindyW
10-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Paula...I was hugely inspired by Susan's pic "Up River" a couple years ago and had it on my desktop background for quite awhile and I wrote to her, too...very nice reply she sent me.
I just looked at her site a few minutes ago and WOW!! I am so glad you mentioned this!! BeautifulBeautifulBeautifulBeautifulBeautiful!!!
Thanks for sharing this.

Oops, sorry Cori....you DID write you were going up on Sunday.
Cindy

K Taylor-Green
10-07-2005, 12:28 AM
It's a chocolate face!! Just too cute.

pjo
10-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Cori-Happy birthday to Kayden! She looks so adorable and quite sticky too! Sorry for your cold, keep getting better.

Cindy and Paula, you both have got me interested in looking us Susan Olgilvie's web site, I'm not familiar with her.

Kyle-Congradulations for getting into the NC pastel show, let us know how it all turns out. Which painting got in? Is it one you've shown on WC?

I just got back from watching my nephew's high school football game, it was quite fun, I haven't been able to go to many and really enjoyed it. I have also been working on putting together a list of instructions for the show sitters for New Mexico's annual pastel societies show, we have a meeting on Saturday so I'll hopefully be able to hand them out instead of mailing so many. I was thankful to get a painting accepted this year, although was surprised by which one of the three I sent in, got in. So I've also been working on framing that one, and three others I will have an opportunity to show during November also. Other than that, things are about the same around here. Have a good day everyone else I missed.

Kathryn Wilson
10-07-2005, 07:55 AM
Kyle-Congradulations for getting into the NC pastel show, let us know how it all turns out. Which painting got in? Is it one you've shown on WC?

many. I am thankful to get a painting accepted this year, although was surprised by which one of the three I sent in, got in. So I've also been working on framing that one, and three others I will have an opportunity to show during November also. Other than that, things are about the same around here. Have a good day everyone else I missed.

PJ - our Society is a member only show and not juried. It is the Bryce Canyon painting. When I took it for the show entry, I met another WC member. Jolanta was bringing in a wonderful still life - and she said it was on Canson. Reception is tonight, so hopefully I'll be able to upload some photos.

Now you have to share with us which painting you got juried in. eh?

Cori, it's hard to believe it's been a whole year for Kayden. He's a cutie!

scall0way
10-07-2005, 01:45 PM
And I'm elbows deep in apples. I was given 2 BIG boxes of apples from my Nonna's tree when I was in BC. Ladies I'm not kidding when I say there had to be 80-100lbs. I've been home for 2 wks and I'm still peeling and slicing. Geez.....You can only make so many apple pies. :rolleyes:

Wow, that's a lot of apples. You should try painting a few before you cook them. I'm getting quite fond of painting apples lately. Hey, a bunch of apples next to an apple pie with a piece missing, a great still life. I was just thinking about painting a couple pumpkins next to a pumpkin pie with a piece missing. :)

It's hard to imagine too many apple pies but 80-100 pounds is an awful lot. Apple crumble? Apple brown Betty? Applesauce? Sauteed apples go really well with pork chops. I love to make tuna salad with shredded apple in it. Buy some whole cloves and stud the surfaces of a couple apples with cloves, and then hang them up in your rooms for a autumn-scented pot pourri.

Still, 100 pounds of apples, LOL. Good luck.

scall0way
10-07-2005, 02:07 PM
It sounds like life is still busy for everyone these days. Love that "messy baby" picture, those where the days. LOL. But no clothes is surely a sensible idea.

My life has nothing too exciting at the moment, though I finally decided which painting I'm going to put in the "red" art show. It's this one, below, of apples. It was not even one of my original contenders, but it looked especially nice when it was framed, and I decided that apples are so nice and seasonal for this time of year. I've been having quite an apple passion lately. It's only an 8x10. I'd hoped to use a bigger picture for the show as they will take up to a 16x20, but I'm still happy with my choice as red and blue are two fave colors of mine, and the combination of the two of them is a really a big hit with me.

Now I have to come up with an "artist's statement" to include on the back of the picture. This has me tongue-tied a bit as I am never quite sure what people want to see in something like that.

I was on the phone with my sister in NC until well after midnight last night, which made the alarm at 6:15 this morning especially unwelcome. She had been with my dad to see a neurosurgeon at Duke, and it looks like he does have this condition called "nph" and will probably need a shunt installed in his head. He is freaked out at the idea, but it should improve his quality of life dramatically if successful, and this man at Duke is supposedly one of the top men in the country for this.

So if the next test (he has to have a lumbar spinal tap first) and the surgery get scheduled sometime soon I guess I'll be making a trip down to NC for the week so I can be with my dad while he is at Duke having the procedure done. Of course I should let my boss know this too! But he is out for the day so I guess it will have to wait until next week.

Pat Isaac
10-07-2005, 04:32 PM
What great apples, Debbie. I too like to paint apples and have done o few paintings of them. Don't you just hate artist's staements? :p :evil: :confused: Anyway, I wish you well with the show and I certainly will be thinking of your Dad. I can understand why he might be freaked out. Scary stuff.
Great pic of Kayden, Cori. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.
More about apples, Dania. We have a mac tree in our yard and it produced mounds of apples this year. I am still up to my elbows. However, I can applesauce and now have 12 pints, more to go and I also freeze apple slices in the shape of a pie and then just throw them into a crust when I want a pie.
Good luck,

Pat

CM Neidhofer
10-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Could someone please explain how to add pics to my signature? I just tried and no matter what I did, they were all WAY too big!! Help! :eek:

khourianya
10-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Christine, someone wrote an article not long ago on how to do it:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/5712/608/

CM Neidhofer
10-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks Cori! :)

scall0way
10-07-2005, 05:15 PM

Note, the article is very easy to follow. I used it just this past week to create a signature banner of my own. I don't have Photoshop or any of the other fancy software they talk about, but I used just plain MS Paint, one of those freebies included in the OS on my PC - and it worked just fine and was amazingly easy to do, and quite fun.

CindyW
10-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Debbie, gorgeous picture of the apples!

Cindy

chewie
10-07-2005, 07:43 PM
ahhh, a baby birthday!! cute. and yes, lovely apples there!!

this week was kinda normal but busy (which IS normal!!) we moved some cows, i helped do some cleaning for a lady who runs a hunting lodge. (huge biz here, a mainstay for many)

on tues, i had a birthday, of which my hubby gifted me with a pair of beautiful, hand-braided reins!! yeah for me!! :clap: they are wonderful to use.

i bought him a new filly on weds., a 3 yo sorrel (reddish). she's not broke but has nice shape to her, should work out well for him on our ranch. her name is tess.

the day i got to give my new reins a good try, i brought camera along, and think this pix turned out so neat. not a bad way to spend an afternoon, eh?! hope you enjoy it as much as i did!! have a great week all.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/6679-riding_on_river1.jpg

Alisa
10-08-2005, 12:01 AM
chewie, what a beautiful place you live!

Been hanging out here a lot lately in the pastel forum, thought I might just pop in and post a photo for smiles....what a cute baby photo!!!

This is my Rudy girl, otherwise known as Mrs. Wilcher---sitting in her husbands lap after a long days work LOL (MY husband really, but can't tell her that).

Alisa
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/6639-rudy.jpg

Paula Ford
10-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Happy Belated Birthday Chewie!!!

LOL Alisa! What a beautiful kitty!!
(we have 6)

Alisa
10-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi Paula! omg 6 kittys! You know if we had a larger place I would love to have at least one more to keep Mrs Wilcher company. As for now we have a lab mix and they are pretty good pals. She does things like clean his face- demands he be still for it, and they do wrestle together which is just strange to watch.

Love Love Animals! Alisa

chewie
10-08-2005, 12:42 AM
that kitty is just TOO funny! just look at her face!! hahahah, thanks for the grin!!

and thanks for the bday wishes!

CM Neidhofer
10-08-2005, 01:43 PM

Thanks again, Cori...it worked!! :clap:

CM Neidhofer
10-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey, Sooz....are you ready for the snow???!!!! Winter storm watch starting late tonight through Monday. Winter driving conditions Monday morning. Wasn't it still like 100 degrees just a couple of weeks ago??? Hmmm...it's a lovely 77 degrees at the moment...gotta love Colorado!! :eek:

Christine

K Taylor-Green
10-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Chewie, I'm gonna come visit you, and bring my horses, and maybe stay forever!
My hubby would just loooove to work on a real ranch. Farming just isn't the same.
*Long sigh* Such beautiful scenery. And a Happy belated Birthday!!

Alisa, what a cute kitty! I can't have cats anymore. My wolfdog would eat them! His only real bad habit, though he has some smaller ones!

Pat Isaac
10-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Beautiful country, Chewie. Thanks for the pic.
What was that word you used, Christine???? :eek: :eek: Still 70's here, but rainy. Big cold front they say is coming...from you???

Pat

CM Neidhofer
10-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Yup, that was the word I used, Pat! And it's on it's way this morning. It's sprinkling now, turning to snow tonight. Already snowing at higher elevations and some areas in the foothills may get up to a foot by morning. They're saying very heavy snow in the next 18 hours. :eek:

Christine