PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 28 - Combining glass/metal & water

Pages : [1] 2 3

Troy Rochford
10-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Basic 101: Class 28

Exploring the Socioeconomic Impact Upon Western Civilization of J.R. Ewing, President Truman, Rambo, the San Diego Zoo, mobster Frank Costello, and the Natural Relationships Between Does and Bucks, and Dogs and Chickens

(Or, simply, "Combination Platter," as you prefer)

In recent classes, we have covered aspects of effectively rendering glass, water, and, most recently, metal. In the introduction to the metal class, I spent a fair amount of time going on about my theory of the importance of psychology in art, and how most of our successes and failures can ultimately be traced back to either a positive or defeatist psychological outlook on the part of the artist. Now, I said that we would address that at greater length in the future, so I am not going to launch into a long lecture here! However, I feel that the subject bears mentioning this week, as it will play a vital role in determining your success or failure with the assigned project.

In class 27, I pointed out that to a significant degree, rendering glass, water, and metal are essentially the same. They all rely on high contrast, very dark darks, and very bright highlights in order to be most convincing. Simplified even further, they, like any other subject to be rendered, amount to nothing more than a collection of lights and darks. If you render those effectively, then your subject is going to be convincing.

It is important to note that psychology comes into play not only with you, the artist, but with the viewer as well. If you render your light and shadow accurately, and you give correct form to your subject, then the viewer is going to see what you want him to see. If you draw a drinking glass and place your lights and darks in an expert, convincing manner, then the viewer is going to process that information and see it as a drinking glass. On the other hand, if you were to scan an extreme close-up of a small area of that drinking glass, revealing no specific form, and tell the viewer that it is a close-up of a piece of metal, the viewer would applaud you for rendering such beautifully realistic metal! In both cases, the viewer would be correct.

And without further ado, that brings us to the dreaded class 28 assignment.

Assignment: Combining similar elements/textures in a convincing composition

This class will be three weeks in length, to allow for patient development of your projects, and to allow yours truly to prepare the pen and ink class, which will most likely be class 29. Your assignment in this class is simple enough, if you can get around your initial horror at the prospect of doing what Im asking! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a logical composition containing glass, water, and metal. You are free to use your own reference, but it must be posted. Alternatively, you may use any of the references below, which have been provided by our beloved photographer extraordinaire, Stacy! Thanks to Stacy for your help, and to Judi for resizing and all the other stuff that I am too dense to figure out myself! ;)

I would suggest that you read through the classes on glass, water, and metal, as there is a lot of good information in there on how to render each subject. Some techniques vary depending on the specific type of glass, water, or metal that you may be creating, and there are many tips throughout the links below.

Class 23: Glass (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283119)

Class 24: Water (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285821)

Class 27: Metal (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295671)

I also had a discussion with Stacy today about something that I dont think came up in the previous classes, so Ill pass along here what I told her, and hopefully some of you may get some use out of it. Using Stacys picture in the metal class as an example, she is rendering two distinctly different types of metal in the same composition, and doing this on a somewhat textured surface. The cookie cutter in her picture is sort of a brushed metal, not slick and shiny. In this case, the natural texture of the paper lends itself very well to achieving the look she is after. However, the other dominant texture in her composition is a slick, shiny stainless steel bowl with more of a mirror finish. For this, I advised Stacy to flatten the tooth of her paper within the area of the bowl, in order to eliminate the problem of the tooth pattern showing through and working against her. This will help her achieve a slick, smooth look to the bowl that might otherwise be difficult to pull off on such textured paper.

Im not reinventing the wheel here or anything; anyone who has read J.D. Hillberrys book on realistic textures will know exactly what Im talking about. If you have this book, its worth reading this section, because he explains it quite thoroughly. For those of you unfamiliar with this procedure, the simplest way to do it is to use the back end of a drawing pencil (metal-capped ends work best) to press down the tooth in the area that you want to be smooth. This is done PRIOR to applying graphite. Its time-consuming, but it works perfectly. Just be careful not to scratch or otherwise damage the surface as you go.

Another helpful tip that so many (myself included) sometimes forget is that, when you are rendering an object that is seen through water or through glass, those values are muted. This creates the illusion of form and thickness to the glass or water. Also remember that the same principle applies with respect to distortions as seen through glass or water. In both cases, you can manipulate your composition for maximum effect by placing part of the object outside of the glass, water, etc Allow the contrast of values between the unobstructed portion of the object and the portion viewed through the prism of glass or water to heighten the depth and realism in your piece.

Happy Drawing!

Judi1957
10-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Three weeks! Yippee! (we are gonna need it! :eek: )

Great write up and tips Troy! Thanks! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
10-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Troy this is an exceptional write up with very clear instructions and a class that I think we are all going to enjoy very much. Stacy and Judi great work on the photo's. ;)

yabby
10-03-2005, 01:44 AM
All,
Count me in!
I'll not be very active - Have to work all the day and speak sometimes with DW :angel: and daughter.... and painting and drawing.:p .. Give me time....

But I'll hang one of my drawing in there.

It took me two days to read threads class 5 (ball) to Class 10 (still life) and Metal Class... I drawn some..;) .
Now I have to hurry and have a quick look at Glasses and water classes before starting this one....:) ....

Fireman's kid
10-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Hey Troy, I thought I said not to mention my name. I want you to have all the blame for this evil plan. Don't go dragging me and Judi down with you. We are nice gals who would never think up such a cruel assignment as this. ;)

But thanks for the three week. I think we are going to need it! :D

If anyone wants a larger version of the references, pm me your email address and I'll be happy to send it along.

Anita Murphy
10-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Humph! I know what I want to do for this class but setting up my items is going to be very difficult on crutches. *Frown*
Stacy - thank you for demo photographs

Troy Rochford
10-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Hey Troy, I thought I said not to mention my name. I want you to have all the blame for this evil plan.

Did not! Did not! Did not! You just didn't want me to tell everyone that the entire class was your idea. I didn't tell anyone about that.

Oh wait... did I say that out loud? :eek: ;) :p

Fireman's kid
10-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Did not! Did not! Did not! You just didn't want me to tell everyone that the entire class was your idea. I didn't tell anyone about that.
Oh wait... did I say that out loud?
I'm not worried. No one will believe you. They know who the evil one really is. And if not, all they have to do is look for the scary signature line. :evil:

Troy Rochford
10-03-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm not worried. No one will believe you. They know who the evil one really is. And if not, all they have to do is look for the scary signature line. :evil:

Yeah, actually I wasn't going to mention this, but those pears HAVE been giving me nightmares lately! :D

CatEyes
10-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Glad this is 3 weeks, I will have to look over the two prior classes.
Sneaky sneaky.....

Tia

Mary Woodul
10-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Hi Troy, I just wanted you to know that I am working and I wanted to check and see if this is straight. It seems that the only way I really know is on the screen. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2005/43096-fase_1.jpg

Judi1957
10-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi Mary! :wave:

That looks realistic!!! :clap: :clap:

Anita Murphy
10-03-2005, 09:31 PM
WOW Mary! You were quick starting this! I can't even figure out how to set mine up yet!

Fozbot
10-03-2005, 09:36 PM
ooohh...Mary!!!! this is GOOD!! and quick, too!:) you might want to darken it a little..the glass, not the tap.

Troy Rochford
10-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Mary you're off to a tremendous start! That's the most realistic thing I've seen you do. Keep it up!

Mary Woodul
10-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Thank you Judi, Anita, Billie and Troy.

Anita how is your foot doing?

JayD
10-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Mary, love the faucet--this is going to look great--nice touch with the water--Here in high point we have a lot of minerals in the water so you have to keep cleaning out the filter to keep the water flow steady. :)

Troy--lovely self portrait! :D :evil:

Troy Rochford
10-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Mary, love the faucet--this is going to look great--nice touch with the water--Here in high point we have a lot of minerals in the water so you have to keep cleaning out the filter to keep the water flow steady. :)

Troy--lovely self portrait! :D :evil:

Where I'm from, we have mafia turncoats in the water. You should see the filter that THAT requires!

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 06:40 AM
Well I won't tell you guys what happens here! :evil:

Thank you, JayD! :)

mothsailor
10-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Mary, looks great so far. I think I might have a go at that one too...

SILKNSATIN
10-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Mary you did it again gf. :clap:
Wow 3 weeks hah. :D
Ill try to join you all.

sultry
10-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Wowwwwwww Mary that looks so real.

Hiyas Bon miss ya gf

Troy great class you have here and such a wonderful write up.

Hiyas everybody

Fireman's kid
10-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Mary, your drawing is looking great! I recognize that faucet! :D Just remember what happened to Anita last class when she started out so fast. She ended up doing many drawings of metal. You might want to slow down or Troy might expect you to do more than one. ;)

Dave, I actually was thinking of your great drawing from the water class when I set this photo up. So thanks for the inspiration! :)

Troy Rochford
10-04-2005, 10:15 AM
You might want to slow down or Troy might expect you to do more than one. ;)

Stacy GO DRAW YOUR BOWL!!! :mad: ;) :D

Anita Murphy
10-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Troy might expect you to do more than one.
I'm going to take it rrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyyy slowly this time! :evil:

Troy Rochford
10-04-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm going to take it rrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyyy slowly this time! :evil:

That's because it will take you til next Tuesday to hop over to the pencil sharpener! :p

mothsailor
10-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Dave, I actually was thinking of your great drawing from the water class when I set this photo up. So thanks for the inspiration! :)

Rats, I was hoping no one would have remembered that so I could put a glass in and use it again! :p :evil:

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi Dave, Thank you! I don't remember you doing a glass. :confused: :angel:

Bon, we need you here! Thank you!

Hi Sults! :wave: Thank you!

Tracy, that's a good photo and so are the rest so I will at least try another one and then I'll go slow so Troy won't expect anymore. :evil:

Hi Anita! :wave: Hope your foot is better!

Cathie Jones
10-04-2005, 11:26 AM
I can't believe this happened again . . . I keep touching a key (I don't know what) that blows away loooooong messages!

So, I'll repeat it all after we get home.

Flying from Vancouver to Portland, Portland to Ontario - then home to the desert where it's WARM and DRY. But mostly home to the DOGS! I miss my furkinds.

And I've missed you guys too (at least I thought I did until I saw this lesson!)

See y'all later . . .

CatEyes
10-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi Troy, I just wanted you to know that I am working and I wanted to check and see if this is straight. It seems that the only way I really know is on the screen. :)

:clap::clap::clap:

Anita Murphy
10-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Mary - the foot is still attached :D The crutches are going to drive me NUTS!

Judi1957
10-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi CJ! :wave: Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Hi Anita!- :( :( sorry you are going thru this!

Hi Troy, Mary, Dave, Stacy and Tia. :wave:

CatEyes
10-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi Troy, Mary, Dave, Stacy and Tia. :wave:

:wave: Hi Judi and everyone else! I picked my subject now I am going to gulp and pray!! lol...

Tia

Troy Rochford
10-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey Tia if you don't mind, go ahead and post your reference in case others want to use it. It IS a great shot!:)

CatEyes
10-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Hey Tia if you don't mind, go ahead and post your reference in case others want to use it. It IS a great shot!:)

Okay cool deal... I was looking around the house for something to do and this is what I came up with.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/62985-basic10128.jpeg

And here it is in color if that is more to someones liking.... I blacked out the background because it is too distracting.. so, if you have a photo program I would suggest yall do that too.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/62985-bclass28.jpeg

Anita Murphy
10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Tia - Super reference!

Judi1957
10-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Tia,
That is a great still life. The shaker is awesome! :clap:

Fozbot
10-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Tia, you've photographed an amazing still life w/all the requirements for this class! right down to the little puddle of water. very ambitious reference!! i can't wait to see this completed!!!!!!

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Tia, that is an exceptional reference. It will be a beautiful drawing.

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Troy, it seems to me that you skeleton keeps getting bigger and scarrier everytime I scroll by it! :evil:

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Hi Judi and Billie, :wave: sorry, I'm very distractful tonight. :o

Anita Murphy
10-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Hi everyone!

I want some help to set up my stuff for this - anyone - pleeeease pretty please!!!!

Troy Rochford
10-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Mary - shhhhhhhhhhhhh..... ;)

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Awe, Anita what do you need?.....Troy! :evil:

Anita Murphy
10-04-2005, 10:39 PM
An extra pair of hands or feet Mary!

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 10:39 PM
This still needs a lot but I'll post it to see what needs fixing. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/43096-fase_2.jpg

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 10:40 PM
I'll go help you Anita. :D I love your new Avatar and marbles!

Anita Murphy
10-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Mary - wowwwweeeeee! This is amazing. I could just reach out and take that glass of water - on second thoughts if it is Mexican tap water maybe not!!!! :evil:

Troy Rochford
10-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Anita you must be a barrel of monkeys when you have a cold;)

Troy Rochford
10-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Outstanding work, Mary! Can't wait to see what your second pic will be!

Anita Murphy
10-04-2005, 10:44 PM
And that from a man!!!!! :p :p :p :p

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 10:46 PM
No I wouldn't blame you I mentioned something to the order of that when JayD was talking about plugged filters. Hey, do you have the crutches that you put on your wrist or the one's that go under your arm pit?

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Troy, but this one isn't finished, I wanted to ask you If I just put a dark background, the table and the cast shadow!

Troy Rochford
10-04-2005, 10:50 PM
She's hanging from the ceiling like a bat, Mary. That's why she can't get around to start her project.;) Or so she would have us believe....

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Your too mean Troy......... :evil:

Troy Rochford
10-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Mary that's up to you, but remember that if you put a dark bg in that's going to affect your water and glass values. You'll need to adjust for that. This really is terrific. In fact, I think since Judi stole my pitcher, you should send me this! ;)

Mary Woodul
10-04-2005, 10:58 PM
It's yours, you just tell me how to finish it! :evil:

Cathie Jones
10-04-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm home!! What a day! Airports and airplanes from 10:00 to 4:30, then the 45 minute drive home took 3 hours . . . got home to find a smoke alarm in the bedroom (the one highest up on the cathedral ceiling!) chirping for a new battery.:eek: The dogs were really happy to see us, though. The birds couldn't care less, and it's too dark to see the fish . . .

So . . .

What I tried to say this morning that was blown away was - great faucet and water, Mary. And now there's a glass, too! Good job, gf.

Anita, what happened to you? Did Troy make you draw with your foot and you sprained it??

Stacy, it's hard to believe you'd have anything to do with putting a class like this together - you have such a sweet face! However . . . I think it probably took more than one mind to put this evil thing together.

Tia - better you than me with THAT ref! But I know you can handle it.

Troy - there's an old (old?) song - Beatles I think - that went something like this:
:music: . . . because I used to love her (him) but it's all over now . . . :music:

Back to work tomorrow, but tomorrow night is my 'free' night, so I'll either work on the milk cans, which I haven't touched since I left, or decide on a ref for this monster. Three weeks sounds good!

It's good to be home . . .:D

yabby
10-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Hi all,
Another glass?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2005/67604-as_view_crop.jpg

quick post before going to work ;-( .. so you have time to think about comments :)

Mary Woodul
10-05-2005, 07:33 AM
CJ, hurry up with your milk cans so you can be with us. We need you to give us some humor. Thank you for the comment.

Yabby, welcome to the class. Nice water and faucet. I like the way you solved the bg.

CatEyes
10-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Anita, Judi, Billie, Mary... Thank you...I am gulping as we speak, but ya can't do if you don't try... :0P

I vow to do my best. Any other takers????????

Anita Murphy
10-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Yabby - this is looking good. I like the background too.

CJ - good to have you back. Hope you had a great trip.

Mary - I have the underarm type crutches. Getting better at them now.

Troy - :p

CatEyes
10-05-2005, 08:08 AM
This still needs a lot but I'll post it to see what needs fixing.

Mary it is coming along very well! It really looks tangable!

For me, The spicket seems a bit long and not thick enough tward the (looking straight on) right (or rather bottom). Now this could be exactly what it looks like, but that is just what I see.

CatEyes
10-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Tia - better you than me with THAT ref! But I know you can handle it.

Good to see you back CJ! And yeah I know...guess it'll be a learning experience for sure.
:)

Yabby: Good show! It is coming along nicely.

Tia

Troy Rochford
10-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Yabby - good start. Only issue I have with this is that the counter runs on a diagonal in this pic, not a straight horizontal. The line where the countertop meets the vertical splash guard along the wall should run parallel to that diagonal back edge of the sink. Also if you put the splash guard in, that will emphasise this strong diagonal pull for a better dynamic, imo, as well as keeping the perspective in check.:)

Anita - :(

phoebecat
10-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi guys,

Mary, yours looks great so far!

Yabby, yours is looking good too!

You guys are really fast! I'll get started on something soon. Right now, I'm working on the turtle.

Anne

CatEyes
10-05-2005, 12:24 PM
You guys are really fast! I'll get started on something soon. Right now, I'm working on the turtle.

Anne

Meee tooo Anne!

yabby
10-05-2005, 01:04 PM
mlelevier : Your faucet is more soft than mine. And the background is the same at home ;-) clear and straight!

present : thanks for comment. I did not want to go to dark bg. who knows why? perhaps i wanted to keep the light of the reference

CatEyes & phoebecat : thanks, but see the teacher look;) and remarks

Troy: You have good eyes and found the distorsion :) I completly agree but I was unable to draw this line with perspective...... I can change the sink angle , so no more problem... :angel: but for the dynamic ... mmm I dunno - we will see next version...:cat:

see you all.

Mary Woodul
10-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Thank you Tia, I will look at that, you are probably right because my reference pixalated.

Anne, thanks for the comment.

Yabby, also thank you and I still have quite a bit to do to it. :)

cmwynn
10-05-2005, 03:49 PM
I have had lots of thoughts about still lifes, but don't have the ingredients, so will probably do the faucet. If only Mary hadn't chosen it. She is sooo good, I hate to have mine on the same thread. But have to start something soon.

Mary Woodul
10-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Connie, thank you! I just saw your turtle and I think it is the one that has the skin the closest to realism. It is great looking. ;)

JayD
10-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Connie, dont forget that you can set up still life outside--for example-a running spicket, a puddle of water, waterfall--anything like that. :)

Anita Murphy
10-06-2005, 10:49 AM
what is a spicket?????????

Judi1957
10-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Anita! :wave:
A spicket is a faucet. :)

Anita Murphy
10-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Whats a faucet?

Sorry just had to add that - as they are not called that in ENGLISH!!!!!!! :p

Cathie Jones
10-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Unless I find something else before the milk cans are done, it looks like I'll be doing the spifauceket too. I had good intentions of photographing my kitchen spifauceket last night, but when I got there I found that it's white plastic. You'd think I'd remember that, wouldn't you?? :cool: I like Stacy's ref, anyway and there certainly isn't anything else like it in the RIL!

Got off work early, so I'll get back to work on the milk cans so I can get over here with my classmates.

Mary Woodul
10-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone! :wave: Troy, I want to post this before going any further because there are some doubts I have. I don't know if the splash gaurd and the chopping board are competing in values and the upper left hand corner has a little of the circles but I didn't want to continue because I don't really know if that is medium grey or if it is too dark. I'm afraid the faucet will get lost in it. I think I will have to pull more highlights later and then there is the little gap on the left side of the screen between the board and the splash guard. It is confusing. I also don't know if to put in the puddle. I'm posting the reference also. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2005/43096-fase_3.jpg

Now that I see it next to it I think I have to go much darker with the splash guard.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2005/43096-faucet2.jpg

Troy Rochford
10-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Mary this looks great. I'd definitely put in the spilled water. You should also put in some really sharp, clean highlights on the edge of the sink so that you can see the delineation between that and the cast shadow. As for the bg, don't worry about that yet.

Mary Woodul
10-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Thank you Troy, but what about the value of the splash guard. Is it too light?

Troy Rochford
10-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Remember that your splashguard values will be muted in the section viewed through the glass. Since you already have established a base tone in the glass part, I'd use that as a starting point and darken the rest of the splash guard (the part NOT behind the glass) accordingly.

Mary Woodul
10-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Thank you, Troy!

Anita Murphy
10-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Mary this is great. The shadows really add something.
I'm finally going to get started tomorrow.

Troy Rochford
10-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Anita are you going to draw your crack pipe next to a glass of water?:)

cmwynn
10-06-2005, 11:27 PM
I know I could set up something, but once I get something in my mind, it is hard to think of alternatives. I have in mind a fairly dark scene, early evening, a pond, a dock and a Coleman lantern hanging off the dock lighting the water. But no dock, no lantern - do have a pond. But isn't it a good idea? So, I have part of the faucet-glass done.

cmwynn
10-07-2005, 05:28 AM
I was thinking during the night about Mary's questions about the background. Then I realized that I had approached this in the direct opposite manner. I don't have a system, just whatever works for each drawing. Luckily, I scanned this to show how I am doing it. Now I can see better that my glass just will not do. Looking at something on the computer is even better than looking at it in a mirror.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/29839-faucet1.jpg
For some reason I can't see the image in the preview, am also not able to see the images in most posts in this forum for the last few days. The ones in the class and in the WDT are working, not much else.

Judi1957
10-07-2005, 06:00 AM
Hi Connie :wave: Your drawing has a good start too! System?...lol I just 'start'-like you. -I like your idea with the dock/lantern/pond maybe you will have time to do that as well. Do a google search for your other items and just incorporate them into your setting.
I selected an image from the RIL and am just adding to it so that I have glass and water too.
Here are a few docks from the RIL-first one is CJ's! :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/37258-another_dock.jpg [RIGHT]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/37258-9879dsc02138.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/37258-20059dorysatlunenburg.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/37258-36065The_dock.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/37258-dockgulf2.jpg

Anita Murphy
10-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Judi - those are super docks - how are you going to incorporate the glass! I was trying to think outside the box too!

sultry
10-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Hiyas everyone, love the updates Mary, your really the star of this class gf.
Hey Yabby Welcome to Basic 101 & your a fast drawer, good start.
Connie wow that is a great start too.
Judi, Your sure ambitious if you plan on doing any of those pretty water pix.
Your scaring me with all that work in those pics (that would take me years to complete). When I do get to this class, I will be rendering something simple and easy (I know it will not be fast, my artistic muse is such a slow poke). Hmm I may just have to add broken glass; water and metal to my board I drew a while back for different textures.
Ohh Yeah, Hey Teach I really like your sig banner, so are you going to put a big one of Michael up too before Halloween?

Judi1957
10-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Those pics were put in for Connie as she said she was having viewing problems. :) She had been looking for docks.

cmwynn
10-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks, Judi. I have a Coleman lantern, about 1 1/2" high, on a key chain with batteries so that it really lights. Maybe I can figure out something with these docks, but not sure I can see how the light falls.

Mary Woodul
10-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Thank you Anita, I'm just waiting to see what your going to come up with and then I will sit down and cry, I know it will be excellent.

Connie, I have the same problem with my drawings. I have to see them on the screen to see what is wrong. In fact I think I will draw mine today in front of the version I posted last night.

Judi, those are beautiful picture, I particularly like the last one.

Thank you Sults, that was sweet, I'll be the star until Anita posts. :(

Judi1957
10-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi Mary! :wave: Sorry I missed your post! Your drawing is coming along fabulously!-You are always a STAR!!! :clap:

Hi Connie! :wave: YW.

Hi Anita! :wave: Yes - me too- trying to think outside the box. Hopefully I will post tomorrow-something at least. I am not very far along. :o
Do you have anything planned yet?

Hi Sults!!!! :wave:

CatEyes
10-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Judi - those are super docks - how are you going to incorporate the glass! I was trying to think outside the box too!

You COULD have a wine glass or Brandy one in the forground held up and the dock reflected through it... as if someone was having a relaxing evening/afternoon and lifted the glass up to look through it...

Just my 2c *grins*

Fireman's kid
10-07-2005, 02:14 PM
You COULD have a wine glass or Brandy one in the forground held up and the dock reflected through it... as if someone was having a relaxing evening/afternoon and lifted the glass up to look through it...

Don't forget you need metal too. Better put the corkscrew in. :D

I chewed on this puzzle for a few days trying to come up with pictures for Troy to use. Started with the easy "glass of water" type stuff then moved on from there. Water seemed to be the sticking point. In the end I was thinking of all the forms water takes...liquid, ice, steam. I knew all of those chemistry classes would come in handy somehow. :D LOL I encourage everyone to try to come up with different combinations of water, metal and glass. It really was fun. Well...at least for a geek like me. ;)

Mary, Yabby and Connie, you are all doing such nice work with the glass and the faucet. Mary, that confusing bit on the left side is the edge of the sink. The glass is sitting on a roundish cutting board. The board wasn't big enough to cover the whole sink. So the dark area you see is the metal edge of the sink and the light area is a bit of countertop.

Anita - What do the British call a faucet/spicket/spigot? Is it a tap? By the way, how is the injury healing?

CJ - I am crushed that you would think I was in on the idea for this evil class.
Stacy, it's hard to believe you'd have anything to do with putting a class like this together - you have such a sweet face! However . . . I think it probably took more than one mind to put this evil thing together.
Troy threatened to give me a failing grade if I didn't help him. He can be very mean, you know. What could a girl do??!? I didn't want to be kicked out of class. My drawing skills need help and this is the only place I can get it. :angel:

On that note...I better go join CJ in the last class before I start hearing more yelling about a bowl. :)

yabby
10-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Hi all,

Connie: great start on your drawing! Your background is - dynamic as can say someone ;)
Mary: your faucet is coming better. how is this possible?:eek:

Others: lack of time? - we do not see your metal-glass-water drawing? :cat: or do I need glasses?

Second version of my faucet (or whatever you call this :) hope I can get the british word )
I was looking for texture and try to dark the background as it was also an option. I corrected the size of the tiles above the faucet, and redrawn the sink horizontally to match.
After three failures to load my scan, i succeeded...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/67604-faucetblacktiles3.JPG

I plan a third one to see the dynamic, with no horizontal lines.:music:

CatEyes
10-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Others: lack of time? - we do not see your metal-glass-water drawing? :cat: or do I need glasses? Second version of my faucet

:clap::clap:Yabby. I like this one much better... nice work. I haven't even started mine yet. It's been a very busy week for me.... but I will soon, this weekend may be hard to do anything as I have a birthday party to prepare for and have on Sunday. Where did the week go?????

Is is too late to as for more time????? lol:p:o:rolleyes:

Tia

CatEyes
10-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Mary: Wooooooh ! It looks so photographic!!

Connie: You are doing great.

For some odd reason I feel like I already commented, but... I don't see a post soo....
here it is. (again?)

Troy Rochford
10-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Stacy - you werent supposed to tell anyone how mean I am.

Guys, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade or anything, but before people go nuts drawing all kinds of strange things with no point of reference, please remember that part of this assignment is to post your reference. This is not a requirement to be mean or stifle creativity, it is to help me, you, and others see clearly whether or not you are rendering your subject correctly.

I'll be back later to comment on individual progress, etc.. but I wanted to get this said before we have a potential problem.

I know, I know... I'm mean and nasty, just like my wild birds! ;)

Anita Murphy
10-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Mary - you mustn't cry! I will have to set something up this weekend while my husband is home and I have an extra pair of hands to help - and feet! I also use the computer to see my mistakes. Not just in drawing but also in painting.

Judi - I keep getting stuck getting all three elements into one picture - I can manage two easily but one always gets left out. Its a very confining box! I did have great idea but failing in getting it together.

Stacy - yes its a tap. I'm also not confining myself to water but thinking more in terms of liquid - as long as it does the same reflecting thing. The foot has been very painful the last couple of days. Thank you for asking. But I am keeping my upper lip stiff in true Brit style :p

Yabby - this is great - I love the looseness of this. Great style!

Connie - looking forward to the glass and tap emerging out of the background!!! :D

Tia - plenty of time - its a three week class.

Mary Woodul
10-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Judi, thank you!

Yabby, I love the crosshatching on your tiles in this one. Everything looks great. Thank you for your comment. if you think it looks better it is thanks to the excellent teacher we have.

Stacy, thank you for clearing my doubt about the corner on the left.

Thank you Ta!

Anita, I still know your going to come up with something outstanding!

Hi! Troy. :wave:

Judi1957
10-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Hey All :wave:

lol Yabby-it is not usually quite this slow.
Nice to have you aboard :wave: I agree this one is better.

Hi Anita! :wave: Hope the pain subsides soon. :music: :music: it's so nice to have a man around the house :music: :music:

Hi Master Mary :wave:

Hi Stacy and Tia :wave:

Troy-Are you really that mean? :p OK posting my ref-lol. Though it is several photos pasted together in photoshop-it looks confusing -because I am worse at photoshop than with a camera. This is a barrel photo from the RIL. I placed my living room door way in there and I will have a woman standing there gazing at her son, playing in the puddle by the water pump. I will add windows as well.
Barrel has metal bands, puddle-dah water and windows-glass.

oh-and the lil boy (my son Matt) will be clothed. I guess I should give this a butt icon?:D

Troy Rochford
10-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Hey Connie - nice start. The thing that jumps out at me is that it looks rushed though. Remember, the class is 3 weeks this time, so take your time and see how things go.:)

Yabby - participation does seem lacking, doesn't it? That's unfortunate, but I can't force people to take part. :wink2: I also think some people are taking their sweet time because the class is longer, which is also unfortunate. Have no fear, though. I have it on good authority that at least Judi, Judy, CJ, and Anita will be joining us soon enough. :)

Judi - I told Anita this this morning - on the issue of combining pics, if you are proficient enough to do that and make the proper lighting adjustments and all that good stuff, then have at it! I just don't want people experimenting with that sort of thing if they aren't sure what they're doing. So anyone who wants to go that route, just be prepared to get raked over the coals if you screw your lighting/proportions/perspective/spatial relationships all up! :evil:

Judi1957
10-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Troy-you hit on what I have been worrying about the most-the lighting. May go back to the drawing board. :(

Troy Rochford
10-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Troy-you hit on what I have been worrying about the most-the lighting. May go back to the drawing board. :(

Ah, come on!! You can do it, crackmonkey! :p :clap:

Oh yeah, by the way....

Ahem... ahem... As a lifelong fan of the New York Yankees, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the Boston Red Sox on losing to Chicago today and thus returning to their rightful position upon the ash heap of baseball history

Judi1957
10-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Ah, come on!! You can do it, crackmonkey! :p :clap:
You call me that one more time!!!!! I'll have to ... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/37258-33616-bash.gif

Troy Rochford
10-07-2005, 09:38 PM
You call me that one more time!!!!! I'll have to ... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/37258-33616-bash.gif

You will beat up a poor smiley man with a hammer? :eek: :(

JayD
10-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Judi, take a swig and quick picking on the Troyboy! :D Did this one a while back but since we are on the subject of water, I thought I would post it--sorry there is no metal :crying:

Troy Rochford
10-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Very cool Jay! Would it have killed you to draw a chainsaw next to that or something?;)

yabby
10-09-2005, 05:33 AM
Reading Troy:
...but before people go nuts drawing all kinds of strange things with no point of reference, please remember that part of this assignment is to post your reference. This is not a requirement to be mean or stifle creativity, it is to help me, you, and others see clearly whether or not you are rendering your subject correctly.

So as I do not want to be in the back of the class ...:) ... I have to draw a complete new one, as close as I can from the ref pic ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2005/67604-faucet_v3.jpg

Troy Rochford
10-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi Yabby - On your previous drawings I think the only thing you changed around was some background elements that were not of any great importance, and that's perfectly fine. The main thing is that your main subjects and their corresponding lighting, etc are true to a reference that can be posted, so you have nothing to worry about. No going to the back of the class for you!;)

On this one, I'd say a broader range of values is needed, especially in the glass. I think it would look better if you also developed that wood board a lot more, but that's another one of those things that aren't really germane to the exercise, so that's entirely up to you! Nice work! You must grumble every time you pass by a faucet in your house by now!;)

Judi1957
10-09-2005, 10:58 AM
JayD-That is an awesome glass and water!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

CatEyes
10-09-2005, 11:10 AM
:wave: peeps,

I started mine, not a whole lot done, but I did start. I won't be able to do much on it today though... it's b-day party time...fun ...fun...

You can all join in with the games too,
we're playing
Birds have Feathers
Auto Parts
and Balloon buzz...

Tee hee...

Don't worry...I will post soon. :wink2:

Troy Rochford
10-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Birds have feathers and auto parts? Do they SELL their auto parts?

Judi1957
10-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Balloon buzz sounds promising! :D

yabby
10-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Troy, thanks for taking the time to write so much about a so small faucet!.
I agree with you, uploaded I found the glass monotonal. You know I was trying to get the faucet dynamic if you remember ;-) . My focus was faucet and background this time and i nearly forget about glass. Yes, I look at faucets another way ;-) but it is more looking at the light playing around. I enjoyed a lot drawing the same reference... practice....practice ;-) Now I will let some space for other partcipants and spare your energy ;-) before posting something else ;-) I will choose something with more details to force myself to draw slowly and being more accurate. Thanks again.

JayD: Wow! and with this glass we all know why you are teachnig ;-)

sultry
10-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Hiyas everyone
(I was scolded by the Teach that I have not posted here lately) so here I am.

Been in a bit of a block lately and doubt I will be catching up with you all for awhile but I am lurking.

Hey Yabby looks good and Teach has some C&C.

Judi1957
10-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Hi Troy, Sults and Yabby :wave:

Thinking of doing this one. Maybe even the second one...
Going to get another photo this evening that seems to have promise. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean by blocks Sults. :(

Mary Woodul
10-09-2005, 05:42 PM
JayD, I just love that bottle and glass of yours! :)

Yabby, I think you have done very well with all of your versions. I like your attitude and I think we will have another fine classmate. ;)

Judi, those look good!

Hi Ta and Sults! :wave:

Troy, wow, that signature line! :clap:

Well here is another stage. Just the puddle and the highlights on the sink have been added. I don't know if I can start on the bg, yet. If so Troy, do I keep it lighter than the faucet?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2005/43096-fase_4.jpg

Troy Rochford
10-09-2005, 05:45 PM
I like the second Judi. And your block is a curse that I put on you because you did not send me what you were supposed to send me this morning, so I sent you a curse for not sending stuff. MMkay? :)

Troy Rochford
10-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Mary I'd work some more on the wood. The finished parts look amazing, but some of it looks unfinished. I'd also darken the splash guard. When you get to the bg, it's really something you'll have to play around with to get just right. At least that would be my approach. I'd do several layers getting progressively darker until it's right. You have to find the perfect balance between too light and too dark so that your faucet doesn't get lost in the mix.:)

Mary Woodul
10-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Thank you Troy, I'll do that!

Anita Murphy
10-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Judi - I like the second one too - even though I was going to do metal balls *deep frown*. Except I expect to see those reflections of Judi taking the photo in them and will be making sure you don't cheat!!!!! I am totally devoid of any ideas for this that are remotely possible.

Troy Rochford
10-09-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm genuinely at a loss as to what is so difficult about this. Btw A, you seemed to have several reasonable ideas yesterday or whenever it was. What happened to that?

JayD
10-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Hey Anita! What about steele Ball Bearings---like marbles only metal!

Anita Murphy
10-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Sorry - I'm just being too feeble for words!

Judi1957
10-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Troy :wave:
-It is not that it is difficult-it is that it has to be just right and framable so we can send them to you for your 2 million dollar wall! :D
Took a few more pictures and I am now deciding which to go with here. Scraping the last two from the last post. Will decide and start tomorrow. :angel:

Anita :wave:
-How are you feeling today?

Mary! :wave: This looks great! The spiket looks wonderful!!!! :clap: As for the wood-that is a similar situation that I had with my Glass project. But JayD pushed me to make the wood look richer and it was just as Troy says-layers upon layers-I had at least 10. Also used 'Bon' tissues to blend inbetween layers too.

Troy Rochford
10-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Judi these are okay, but I like the second one that you posted earlier. :)

Judi1957
10-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Really Boss?
Walks away sullenly. :( :crying: :(

Troy Rochford
10-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Hey, if I'm your boss, make me some freaking cookies! And bring them over now. I've got a baseball game to watch, I'm in pain, and I've got nothing to eat. :(

Anita Murphy
10-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Judi - I'm siding with the boss (trying to gain some points here having not even started yet!) - I like the second one of the first posting best too! :p Foot has been so-so today except for dropping one crutch right on it! :( Thank you for asking!

CatEyes
10-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Birds have feathers and auto parts? Do they SELL their auto parts?

LOL..not exactly... Birds have feathers is like Simon says...and Auto parts is telling a story and like musical chairs.

Judi: Balloon buzz was fun... basically you aim and hope to get as close as you can to the target... letting all the air out.

I think it went well The cake was great...I forgot to take a picture of it too! :crying::(

Anyway you'll be happy to know I worked more on mine last night before bed...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2005/62985-shaker.jpeg

Judi1957
10-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Tia-You didn't bring us cake? :crying: :crying: :D
Nice start! Dont forget to get those dark darks and keep your whites white.

Well-I will revisit photo 2. Still playing around-lol-I just can't get totally happy with it.

Mary Woodul
10-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Hi Judi! I like photo 2, I think you can come up with something very nice with that one.

CatEyes
10-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi Tia-You didn't bring us cake? :crying: :crying: :D
Nice start! Dont forget to get those dark darks and keep your whites white.

Thanks Judi, will do.

' ' ' ' ' '
|||||||
(__________)
(__________)

Ta Da!!! Cake!! lol:music::music::music::music::music::music:

Mary Woodul
10-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Tia, I'm sorry I missed your post. I like the way the top of the salter is looking. You have the shine there.

I have something I want upload here in case I have time after the faucet but I am doubtful about brand labels on bottles and can't find anything that mentions it, being a violation. I just found several bottles in RIL with the brand name on them. I guess I'll have to go find out. :confused:

Troy Rochford
10-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Mary right off the top of my head I remember Matti posted his Jim Beam bottle on here and it wasn't an issue. You're probably wise to double check though:)

CatEyes
10-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Tia, I'm sorry I missed your post. I like the way the top of the salter is looking. You have the shine there.
I guess I'll have to go find out. :confused:

Thanks Mary, I was able to get a small amount more done... I may have over-reached on this, but I intend to finish. *grins*

I think it is fantastic that you're almost on to another!!! Can't wait so see it.

Troy Rochford
10-10-2005, 03:25 PM
I may have over-reached on this

Nonsense! :mad:

Keep going! I'm waiting for more development before commenting.

CatEyes
10-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Nonsense! :mad:

Keep going! I'm waiting for more development before commenting.

:o Okey Dokey... Yesss.... sirrrr....... :D I'll be back on it in 2 and 2.

Mary Woodul
10-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Thank you Troy, for the comment on the bottle, I'll double check and yes, I still have a long way to go with the faucet. I'm working! :p Hope your feeling better. :)

Tia, can't wait to see you next update!

Troy Rochford
10-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks Mary! Wouldn't you know it... I finally get all set to go to the doctor, and now today I'm feeling a lot better. Still nowhere near 100%, but I actually slept through the night last night without waking up in excruciating pain. That's something!:)

Cathie Jones
10-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Troy, I remember you saying you were sick, but I must have missed the part about pain. Did you finally goad Anita into beating you with her crutch???:evil:

Wait - I know - I bet the monkey bit you!!!:eek:

Troy Rochford
10-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Troy, I remember you saying you were sick, but I must have missed the part about pain. Did you finally goad Anita into beating you with her crutch???:evil:

Wait - I know - I bet the monkey bit you!!!:eek:

You kidding me??? I'm doing good just to get Anita to say hello to me!

As for pain, it's not been fun. But it's my own fault. I could have and should have gone to the doctor long ago and the prob would have been solved. Being a self employed artist makes doctor visits far less attractive an option, though.

You forgot to post your class 28 drawing, btw. :evil:

Anita Murphy
10-10-2005, 06:55 PM
You Lie Troy - I am surprised you don't have a forked tongue the way you lie!!! I talk to you all the time! I am really glad you are feeling much better - but go see the doctor anyway!

CJ - I have been tempted to beat him with both crutches - only I would probably fall over! :D

Judi - I know exactly what you mean - I have taken more photos for this class than I ever have before and am not a hundred percent on any of them. I really don't know what to do at all - we still have nearly two weeks so I am not panicking yet. (oes panicking have a K???)

Cathie Jones
10-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Oh, dear. Did I forget to post my class 28 drawing? :eek: Would it make you feel better to know that I do have a reference photo? You can't see that yet either. Not until I'm finished with 27.

Judi1957
10-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks Mary! Wouldn't you know it... I finally get all set to go to the doctor, and now today I'm feeling a lot better. Still nowhere near 100%, but I actually slept through the night last night without waking up in excruciating pain. That's something!:)

TROY-IT'S ALWAYS THAT WAY-NOW GET YOURSELF TO THE DOCTOR !!!! Glad you are feeling better though!

Judi1957
10-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi CJ! :wave: Can't wait to see your ref.

Hi Mary! :wave:

LOL- Anita! :wave: I have never taken so many pics either!

I am leaning towards the beige bg here.
And that's that-lol. :rolleyes:

Mary Woodul
10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Hi everyone!

Judi, your going to kill me, but I love the dark bg. :evil:

Troy, I'm glad your feeling much better, but please do go to the Dr. :)

Troy I have scanned this four times today and each time I see that I either loose the glass or the table everytime I darken the splash guard and it may not be dark enough yet. Do I still work on the wood or darken it? I've lost myself now! :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2005/43096-fase8.jpg

Troy Rochford
10-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Beige it is! Now start drawing!

Also for all of you who can't seem to figure out how to come up with a reference photo, I'll remind you that Stacy was nice enough to take photos, and there are quite a few posted in the intro to this lesson. It's not just the faucet.:)

Judi1957
10-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone!

Judi, your going to kill me, but I love the dark bg. :evil:
Naw-that was my original fav-but lost so much of the metal balls there I had decided against it. LOL
Well-you have such a wonderful artistic eye-dark it is! FINAL!!! :D

Judi1957
10-10-2005, 08:44 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Troy Rochford
10-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Mary the splash guard is fine, but I think on the far left of your picture, you should be able to see the BOTTOM edge of the splash guard peeking out from behind the wood. This will help your perspective read better. The wood I would darken slightly in the lighter areas just to tone it down some. It looks great! This is going to look wonderful next to that gaping hole in my wall where Anita's truck is supposed to be.:)

Mary Woodul
10-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Thank you Troy! :) Well keep your fingers crossed, I sure don't want to mess it up for you. ;)

Mary Woodul
10-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Judi, who was that for?

Judi1957
10-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Sorry Mary! I didn't comment.
So I made ya a greyscale-forgive me?

It is going to be beautiful beside the truck! :clap: :clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2005/37258-faucetgrey.jpg

Mary Woodul
10-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Thank you Judi, this one is much clearer than mine! :) I'll work from this one, until I finish it!

Troy Rochford
10-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Yeah Mary now that I see the ref again - you see what I'm talking about with the bottom edge of the splash guard? You can actually see it on both sides of the cutting board.. should be fairly easy to suggest that curvature there, and that will help your perspective a bunch! And if you're wondering, I'd certainly recommend not going THAT dark with the bg.:)

Anita Murphy
10-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Judi - I'm going to put my oar in and say the one on white! Sorry :evil:

I have finally figured out what I am going to do - I think!

Mary Woodul
10-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Anita!

Yes Troy, I see what you are talking about now and I will go very slowly layering like you said, with the bg, so that I won't go too dark.

Anita Murphy
10-10-2005, 09:38 PM
hi Mary!!!!

Judi1957
10-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Hi Troy Anita and Mary :wave:
LOL-I went with the dark in the end. CP on black stonehenge. That'll keep the layering down some for the darks of the bg. Just need to bring up some blues there.

Mary, The :eek: :eek: :eek: were for myself. light-dark..good ref-bad ref.
I can't make a darned decision on these meds- :crying: :crying: :crying:-though it is much better than it was when I started them-adjusting :) .

Mary Woodul
10-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Hi Anita, I thought I was the only one that got up at this hour! How is your foot?

Mary Woodul
10-11-2005, 06:40 AM
Judi, I does take time but I have never been able to take the one's that make you groggy during the day. I hope you can get them changed. Are you sleeping better?

Anita Murphy
10-11-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi Mary - couldn't sleep. Usually up and about pretty early though. The foot is still attached - just!

Hi Judi - the CPs on black sound great! I must get my idea photographed today and then decide that I hate it!!!

Judi1957
10-11-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi Mary! :wave: Sleeping better-ty for asking. Actually the fog seems to be lifting. :)

Hi Anita! :wave: LOL-you cannot believe the files of unusable photos for this Class I deleted!
Hope you have relief soon!

Cathie Jones
10-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Hi everyone! :wave: Troy released me from 27 so I can come over here and play with my friends now. Stacy is still in 27, though, so we need to visit her sometimes. Back later with a ref . . .

CatEyes
10-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Halo everyone:wave:

I started over... I was having a difficult time with some of the angles on the stapler.

I will post a bit later, when I get more done. I am more happy with this one and got a lot more done on it. :D

Tia

CatEyes
10-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi everyone! :wave: Troy released me from 27 so I can come over here and play with my friends now. Stacy is still in 27, though, so we need to visit her sometimes. Back later with a ref . . .

Yay!!! Glad to see you are here with us now.

Mary Woodul
10-11-2005, 12:55 PM
CJ, great news, I miss you!........and where is Billie? :confused:

Hi Tia! :wave:

Fozbot
10-11-2005, 01:01 PM
right here guys!:wave: sorry for being MIA!:( i've got a lot on my plate right now. i miss everybody and peek in here almost everyday.

Fozbot
10-11-2005, 01:05 PM
oops...almost missed this! Mary, your drawing on post #148 is nothing short of GREAT!! i'd call this photorealism, GF!!!

Fozbot
10-11-2005, 02:20 PM
i photographed a possible ref for this class. i'm still not sure when i'll get to it but i'm trying. i've got water, metal and glass.

Troy Rochford
10-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Billie I like this reference a lot. I'm sure certain people on crutches might think of this as pedestrian and too ordinary, but it's cool looking in my opinion.;) Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Anita Murphy
10-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Oh shush! Troy!!! I am downloading my images from the camera right now as we speak and one of these is going to be it!

Troy Rochford
10-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Good stuff! So I guess you didn't fall into the bathtub with that light bulb, huh? :eek:

Oh shush! Troy!!! I am downloading my images from the camera right now as we speak and one of these is going to be it!

CatEyes
10-11-2005, 03:41 PM
:wave: Mary, Troy, Billie...
Nice reference Billie. I am off to band practice soon so yall have a great evening...

I will take mine with me, and hope to get a lot done!!

CatEyes
10-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Missed ya Anita!!! Hi.

Fozbot
10-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Billie I like this reference a lot. I'm sure certain people on crutches might think of this as pedestrian and too ordinary, but it's cool looking in my opinion.;) Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

thanks Troy!:) it may be awhile before there's ANY development but at least i HAVE a ref now!

Hi Tia!:wave:

Anita Murphy
10-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Due to physical limitations I can't do what I really wanted to do for this class.
So here I am down to a choice of three - can I have your opinions please??? http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2005/58769-IMG_2209a.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2005/58769-IMG_2210a.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2005/58769-IMG_2211a.jpg

CatEyes
10-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Due to physical limitations I can't do what I really wanted to do for this class.
So here I am down to a choice of three - can I have your opinions please???

I like the first and the second best...I lean more to the second though... I like how it's layed out.

Tia's 2c

CatEyes
10-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Here's what I've done sofar. Band practice was very good for the first one! I worked on this while there. I can still hear too!!! :D

Fozbot
10-11-2005, 06:59 PM
i vote for #1, Anita! definitely #1!

Cathie Jones
10-11-2005, 07:01 PM
I vote for #1 also - better composition, better lighting, more contrast.

Troy Rochford
10-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Hey, this is fun! I get to play spoiler to Anita like people were doing with Judi last night! I'm going to say #3. I like the glass distortions and stuff best in there, and the simple diagonal with the wood etc. The spoon is unfortunately kind of boring in that one though. I like the spoon in the first one.

Judi1957
10-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Hey All :wave:

Fozzie! :wave: I really like the orderliness to your ref. How the shadow of the glass on the right mimic the linage of the spoon. Nice texture w/ the bg too!

Anita :wave: -My 2 cents is I like the last one. I like the light in the first 2 but I like how you are drawn into the glass in the 3rd.

Glad you are back Tia! Nice start!!! :clap:

CatEyes
10-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks Judi. :)

Troy Rochford
10-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Nice start Tia:) As always, I'm waiting til you get further along... not ignoring your work.

Anita Murphy
10-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Well, my DH said #1 - I like them all for different reasons - so its going to be #1 - at least until I change my mind :D

Mary Woodul
10-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Billie, your set up with the glass is good. I like it!

Anita, I like no. 1, I like the way the shadow and highlights look next to the knot in the wood, plus the refractions in the glass.

Tia, that is looking good.

Troy, am I supposed to blend at anytime in the bg?

Hi Judi and CJ! :wave:

Troy Rochford
10-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Well, my DH said #1 - I like them all for different reasons - so its going to be #1 - at least until I change my mind :D

You just told me less than an hour ago that you were doing # 3 because you also liked that one best. That's the one I chose. Now you're doing #1 because DH said so??? Since when does a DH outrank the mighty Troy?????? What is the meaning of this?? :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :cool:

Troy Rochford
10-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Mary I wouldn't blend the bg. The added texture will help separate the bg from the faucet too. :) Hey get in touch with me later on if you can, I want to tell you about something.

Cathie Jones
10-11-2005, 09:07 PM
If y'all will 'scuse me for a moment - I hate to get in the middle of a family dispute - but I really must run this ref by the class and see if it passes muster.

(And I still like #1 best, Anita)

I arranged this on the kitchen counter, which is why the background is bland, but I think everything else works. Cropped and greyscaled, but I may do this in CP since I'll finally have some time. Whatcha think??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2005/23460-Water_Metal_Glass_ref.sm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2005/23460-Water_Metal_Glass_ref_color.sm.jpg

Anita Murphy
10-11-2005, 09:17 PM
CJ - I like this - but I think the brushes in the jar should be bristles down - makes more sense that way! Or do you get paint all over your handles :p

Troy - DH outranks you just be virtue of being DH! :D

Cathie Jones
10-11-2005, 09:45 PM
CJ - I like this - but I think the brushes in the jar should be bristles down - makes more sense that way! Or do you get paint all over your handles :p

Troy - DH outranks you just be virtue of being DH! :D

:eek: Anita, I see what you mean since there's water in the glass, but don't put your brushes in the water with the bristles down - it'll ruin them. When you rinse them, swish them in water, then in another container of clean water, wipe them down gently, shake off any excess water, reshape the brush and store them bristles up . . . that way the bristles keep their shape. It may not matter with stiff oil painting brushes, but watercolor brushes are usually soft hair and they get out of shape easily.

On the other hand, it might be fun to get some color in the water for a little more interest . . . I'll think about that.

Anita Murphy
10-11-2005, 09:54 PM
CJ - *whispering in the back of class so as not to get into trouble with you know who* While we are talking about brushes, what is the largest watercolour brush you can buy? I want to paint BIG pictures!

Troy Rochford
10-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Looks excellent CJ!

Cathie Jones
10-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Looks excellent CJ!
Oh. Guess that means I have to start putting it on paper, huh? That's the hard part!

pssssst . . . Anita . . . you can buy super big watercolor brushes - I've seen them at Michael's up to 4", but haven't painted that big myself. My biggest brush is 2" and I've only used it once.

Judi1957
10-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Ohhh CJ! :clap: I love your ref. Are you going to do it in wc too??? :D

Here is my first installment! Finally. :o First few layers of white. Next I will add some blues and see where the white needs perked up.
Prismas on back stonehenge. This is the first piece of balck I have ever used. It is particularly nice as you can see your colors right away. :D
It got a lil washed out w/ the light.

Anita-you could paint Troy's whole wall with a 4"! :D

Anita Murphy
10-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Judi - don't go giving him ideas!!!! He can paint his own wall!!!!! Great start - I think you are all brave using coloured paper.

Troy Rochford
10-11-2005, 11:11 PM
I love it Judi!!! And Anita's right. I can paint my own wall. But her truck still needs to be ON that wall. Anita must have fallen into her chili btw. Hello, Anita??? You there? Where are you????

Judi1957
10-11-2005, 11:15 PM
TY Troy and Anita! :)

Karen Cardinal
10-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Hey Troy!

I just wanted to stop by and say a huge THANK YOU to you and JayD for your fantastic lessons!!! :clap:

I have been printing these lessons out and am definately going to be working my way through these lessons! There is so much fabulous information here, I just can't get over it.

I was veeeeeeery bad on one of the recent weekly drawing threads and couldn't get my drawing done on time, so I'm not going to even try to promise to get anything done on time anymore :rolleyes: but I do want to thank you for all the wonderful lessons and inspiration! :D

Thank you also JayD for mentioning my little tips on glass in your glass lesson! I wish I'd done a better job on that now.

You people are the best! Thanks again for sharing all your fabulous talents with us all! :clap:

CatEyes
10-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Thank you Mary.

I know your not Teach... I haven't done much.

Anita: Any one you pick you will do a fantastic job with. It's already Hump Day though, so that means only a week and a half left...

CJ: Pretty iteresting...

Judi: Great Start! It looks like the chalk drawings I just passed on to the teach! Like you can pick it up. :)

Welcome Karen, after seeing what you can do with Pastels, I can't wait to see what you'll do with this!!!

CatEyes
10-12-2005, 09:21 AM
PS: You know what I just noticed??? It says Senior Member on my Avitar!!! When did I become a Senior????

:)

Anita Murphy
10-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Tia - you must have passed a magic posting mark to become a senior!

Mary Woodul
10-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Judi, that is looking good!

Hi Anita and Ta and Troy , of course! :p

I keep bumping myself out of WC for viewing images, so I give up and will go back to my bg. :o Is anyone else having that problem? You click on the image and WC page disappears! :eek:

CatEyes
10-12-2005, 12:40 PM
I keep bumping myself out of WC for viewing images, so I give up and will go back to my bg. :o Is anyone else having that problem? You click on the image and WC page disappears! :eek:

:wave: Hello,
Hmmm maybe it's your browser...have you tryed a different one to be sure?

:confused:

CatEyes
10-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Tia - you must have passed a magic posting mark to become a senior!

Is that how it works? LOL I think it's pretty cool...
:cool:

Anita Murphy
10-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Hi Mary and Tia

I knew this class was doomed from the start!!!! On my third start today! :mad:

Troy Rochford
10-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Anita that is likely because you are reading about Tangiers while drawing. Pay attention!!! FOCUS!!!

Hi everyone!

Btw - for those who don't know, Karen Cardinal is one of our resident gurus in colored pencil. Judi I will be sending you a link from Karen that i think you will find particularly interesting, given your project for this class!

Anita Murphy
10-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Yes SIR!!!!!

cmwynn
10-12-2005, 04:51 PM
I have been having major problems with this site this whole week. My daughter cleaned out the cookies and downloaded Firefox browser, but that didn't help. Sometimes I can see images, sometimes not, so I am not even going to try to comment right now. I am going to be away for a week, in Virginia, visiting my sister, hope things will calm down by then.
This is probably my finished project for this lesson, must do other things for the next few days.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2005/29839-faucet2xm.jpg

Mary Woodul
10-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone! :wave:

Welcome, Karen!

Anita, I can't believe that, you want it perfect, that's why! :evil:

Tia, thank you, finally after restoring the pc three times I finally have my back button, back. :)

Connie that looks good, you are always good with your reflections and I like the water dribble.

I'll go look around and then go back to the bg, I think I'm getting the hang of it, Troy, thanks for your advice. ;)

CatEyes
10-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Connie: Nice work.. safe trip and enjoy it. :)

Cathie Jones
10-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Mary, you're probably almost finished with the background . . . but I've been meaning to remind you that if you want a textured wall type background, you might do it with swabs. Remember how the animals we did with swabs looked textured . . .well, at least my alpaca did. I may try it for my background wall to put more interest in the drawing.

Judi1957
10-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Hey All, :wave:

Connie! Great job! Have a good safe trip!

Hi Mary! Ty, Glad you are back. That is so frustrating!!!!!

Hi CJ, Troy and Karen!

Congrats Senior Tia! :clap:

JayD
10-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Karen, I have to say this about Troy--I dont think I could have picked a better instructor--he has taken the class up a level that I could not have achieved.

Thank you for your comments on the glass class--you really have some good pointers in your thread.

Regarding the people of the WDT and the 101ers (Troy's Folks)--these people are amazing at meeting deadlines--a prerequisite for commission work--they all have that potential. See ya in CP!!!

JayD
10-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Hey, Judi--ya lil divil ya!--glad to see you are on the black track--how did you like working with the black paper. I think it is easier then white.

Troy Rochford
10-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Jay - thank you very much for the kind words, man! Unfortunately, Karen already knows how much of a jackass I am! You can't fool her!;)

CatEyes
10-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Here's my update peeps. It's lighter than it is in person.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2005/62985-shakerstapler.jpeg

Judi1957
10-12-2005, 07:30 PM
JayD :wave: :wave:
-I love working on the black---instant gratification! :D

Troy Rochford
10-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Looks great Connie! Enjoy your trip!:)

Tia - are you going to have us all over to your house when you're done so that we can see it in person? That could be a logistical nightmare! ;) Nice start! Keep slaving away at it now!:)

Hi Judi and Mary and CJ and others...

CatEyes
10-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Tanks Troy...I would have to rent a place...lol...

Mary Woodul
10-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Thank CJ, but I've started with little circles just finished the first layer. I don't know how many layers I have to do :eek: Have a nice trip, I didn't know you were going away again.

Hi Judi! Yes my pc hasn't been very nice to me yesterday and today. :(

Hi JayD, it is always nice to see you around. :)

Connie, you to have a nice trip.

Tia, that looks nice, I'll be looking forward to tomorrows update.

Hi Troy! :) I won't post anything until the color starts to show. I'll do another layer tomorrow.

Cathie Jones
10-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Have a nice trip, I didn't know you were going away again.
:confused: I didn't know I was going away again either . . . where am I going??? Should I pack for warm or cold?? :D

Have fun with the circles - I bet that'll make it stunning (not that it wasn't already)!!!

Anita Murphy
10-12-2005, 10:31 PM
CJ - Stay with us!!!!! Don't go wherever it is you don't know where you are going!

Connie - have fun!

Hi Troy, Mary, Judi, anyone else in here!

I am hating mine - cannot get to grips with it at all

Cathie Jones
10-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Okay Anita! Wherever I'm going that I don't know I'm going, I won't go! :confused:

Except I did remember that I'll be gone most of Saturday. Party at a friend's house in the afternoon (2 hours away) then to L.A. (another 2 hours) to hear Beethoven's 1st (in C Major), then 2 hours home. Doesn't seem worth the effort, does it??

BUT - y'all do remember that Friday is my last day at the gas company and I'll be home next week to draw stuff!

Working (slowly, carefully, trying not to rush anybody got a valium???):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2005/23460-Water_Metal_Glass.101205.sm.jpg

Judi1957
10-12-2005, 11:10 PM
:) CJ - Stay with us!!!!! Don't go wherever it is you don't know where you are going!
:eek: :eek: :eek: CJ No-Please don't go THERE! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hi Anita! :wave:
Did you decide on one yet? This is hard. Troy doesn't understand. When a woman goes shopping she takes FOREVER to make the right purchase. A guy walks into to store and is out in 5 minutes-purchase complete. :rolleyes:
Same here with the decision on just the right one. :)

JayD
10-12-2005, 11:20 PM
One VALIUM coming up!!!

Judi1957
10-12-2005, 11:22 PM
With a BEER chaser?

Anita Murphy
10-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Judi - I am doing #1 of the three I posted. DH decided for me (and now Troy is mad as he thinks his word is lawand he wanted #3!)

Anita Murphy
10-12-2005, 11:27 PM
This is as far as I got today.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2005/58769-IMG_2212.jpg

Judi1957
10-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey Anita! I picked No 3 too! :crying: :crying: :crying: :D

CJ-Missed your drawing-read your post though- :rolleyes:
Nice drawing!-coming along great!

RETIREMENT PARTY FOR CJ ON FRIDAY- :clap: :clap: :clap:
Valium and beer for everbody!
Bring a nice gift for CJ!!

Anita Murphy
10-12-2005, 11:30 PM
valium and beer - now that sounds like it will be everyone's retirement party!

Sorry Judi - I thought you picked #1! I liked #3 too, until I looked carefully at the reflections in the glass.

Judi1957
10-12-2005, 11:31 PM
TIA! :wave:
We must have crossposted earlier-sorry.
Keep going... Looking good!

Judi1957
10-12-2005, 11:34 PM
LOL Anita-but you get one or the other-not both! :eek: :eek: :D

Cathie Jones
10-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Hey Anita! :eek: You drew your glass sideways and the water spilled out!! :evil: :D

TWO parties Friday. One from 11:00 - 1:00 at work (Mexican food and marble cake with buttercream frosting) and after work 5:00 to whenever at Cask & Cleaver (they have a huge bar with lots of open space and seating). Be there or be square!!!

Okay, you guys, I'll be designated driver. It's been YEARS since I had a doctor that would prescribe valium and I don't drink . . . but everybody else go ahead and I'll make sure you get home safely.

Thanks for the valium offer JayD. I'll just have to keep doing a little at a time. I'm okay for about 30 minutes, then I get tired and want to rush.

Troy Rochford
10-13-2005, 02:31 AM
Sorry for my absence tonight guys, I was planning for the upcoming animal class;)

CJ - I guess I failed to mention to you that I'm active in Republican politics. As it happens, I pulled some strings with DHS and we have decided to have you deported. Nothing personal. We just thought it would be funny, and you have a good sense of humor. I would pack for VERY cold weather. :)

Judi - Actually I DO understand how women take forever. I mean, it has taken Anita a month and she STILL hasn't found her way to the post office to send me my FREAKING TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayD
10-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Anytime, CJ!

Anita, good choice and its looking really good!

Mary Woodul
10-13-2005, 07:00 AM
CJ, I must have been the one that took the Valium and beer and don't where I saw you off to, you might be missing out on a very adventurous trip.

The retirement party sounds great!!! :clap: :clap: Your drawing is looking nice CJ and like your choice of image.

Anita, that is looking very good, like everything you do.

Good morning Troy, :wave: and everybody else! I thought you already had your truck. :(

Animal Class!!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2005/43096-3_8_131.gif

Anita Murphy
10-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Mary - I am with you on the animal class!

CatEyes
10-13-2005, 10:52 AM
CJ and Anita, both are great starts...thanks Judi!!

CatEyes
10-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Missed yours Mary...thank you.

Anita Murphy
10-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Not sure if I will get any more done today as I have to hop out for a while. So here is today's update.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2005/58769-IMG_2217.jpg

Mary Woodul
10-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Wow Anita, that is beautiful. I knew you were going to come up with something spectacular!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

CatEyes
10-13-2005, 12:59 PM
WOW Anita!!!

Cathie Jones
10-13-2005, 01:51 PM
DOUBLE WOW Anita!! Excellent!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Troy Rochford
10-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Well I saw this before it was posted but I'll comment again for the record - WOW Anita! One thing though - you told me this morning you were going to finish it today. So I don't want to hear any of this business about hopping about! :( ;)

JayD
10-13-2005, 02:45 PM
ANITA!!! I was so shocked when I saw this that I knocked over my glass of water and spoon and the water ran all over my desk! Now I have your picture on my desk! This is absolutely fabulous!!! Great job!

Fozbot
10-13-2005, 04:18 PM
another winner, Anita!!!! incredible!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: