PDA

View Full Version : Brandy Rose

mr sandbanx
10-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Well I am trying to assimilate myself into Chars OCTOBER LESSON ABOUT PAINTING MACROS (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=298081) where it seems I am being labelled a 'problem child' after only one class:eek: Attention span, pigtails in inkpots and all that. This is not the image to be used there, although it has the stamens which Char is talking about (see.... I do listen!) I will have to get a copy of Char's Flower once my printer sorts itself out... in the meantime I thought I would try this one on my own as a way of getting up to speed.

It's a Brandy Rose (thats all I know).... I have had the photo for ages and am no longer certain where it came from...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2005/31024-Brandy_Rose.JPG

I think I could use a lot of help.... seems to me that I am overworking these things and not getting the clean transparent colours I ought to get. It took me about four hours to get to this poiint and I don't want to keep flailing away at it if I am going to make it worse.

I used FUB as an underlay, but it tends to go all grainy on me.

This one almost needs a big crop on the right side perhaps? And the secondary petals above and to the right, need to be pushed back a bit more with some cooler colours yet again....

Anyway, your help would be appreciated. Its 8 x 10, Arches CP 140#. W&N paints mostly Cad orange, quin Gold, Cad red and FUB witha few bits of BS and a touch of Sepia.

If you don't like it I can post it over to the abstract people and let them tear it to ribbons! :D

thanks

Chris.

Starsprite
10-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Chris...I love the colors in this. I haven't heard of a brandy rose..but sounds good enough to drink! :) This looks to be more than one flower to me though..how many are here? It is kinda abstracty..but definitely recognizable as a floral. You're doing good!! :) :clap: :clap:

EDIT: As a matter of fact the more I look at this the more I like it!! Great separation of the petals Chris...( a problem I have).

Lynn Quinn
10-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Chris, I like this. The colours are very nice, though if you want more transparent, you could probably substitute something else for the cadmiums. I'm only a newbie to florals, so can't help much!

Camellia Sinensis
10-02-2005, 10:23 PM
I like the almost-abstract feel to it... I cannot help with floral either, but I think maybe the dark spot in the lower right corner should be balanced with another dark somewhere else.

mr sandbanx
10-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks Camellia... I think you are right on with the balance thing.

Lynn: I never thought of the Cads doing that. Thanks for the tip.

Spritey: I was never good beyong grade 3 math either, so I have no idea how many flowers.... at least 2 and maybe 4? Thanks for looking and I am ever so glad you like this one.

Strider
10-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Howdy Banxy...this is quite cool! Serious. One thought, I've not had luck with FUB as an underwash...since it granulates, it seems to muck up colors laid atop. Same for any granulating pigment. Now, I know some others have not had a problem with this, but I get murkiness in my colors. Really like this though...two thumbs up! :wave:

juneto
10-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Nice Job , Banx! I agree another dark above or lighten up the density of the dark you have.
I think you have done a great job on a difficult subject.
June

KathyJB
10-03-2005, 12:00 AM
somebody say abstract?

Yes this is a controlled abstract and also a macro. Its wonderful!!!
I am still working my way back to flowers so no
improvements from me on this one I like it as is you could
lift a wee bit of the dark lower corner so its an opaque shadowing
however... it still stands alone
I would NOT crop it.
well done Chris
Kat

Dake
10-03-2005, 12:47 AM
Nice loose work Sandy a good blend of realism and abstract.
Dake

Yorky
10-03-2005, 03:26 AM
So complicated!

Chris - I moved this to the Studio as you're still working on it. It should really have been in Char's Homework thread, but if I merge it now there will be many non sequeta's where the comments get mixed up.

Doug

laudesan
10-03-2005, 05:23 AM
Woo-Hoo Chris. Good try..

As you now know cad are not transparent.. ;)

You need to redo your palette for florals..

Having said that, hey I really like this!! Now I wouldn't have underpainted with fub, but iot looks great here with your traditional palette..

Do some more!!!!!!!

mr sandbanx
10-03-2005, 08:29 AM
So complicated!

Chris - I moved this to the Studio as you're still working on it. It should really have been in Char's Homework thread, but if I merge it now there will be many non sequeta's where the comments get mixed up.

Doug

:confused: :confused:

I guess I'll repost it agin tonight inthe gallery

CharM
10-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Wow, Chris... I absolutely LOVE the colour in this piece!!!

I like ultramarine blue for some applications because it DOES granulate... the darks in florals should never be pristinely smooth (IMHO) because of the petal textures...

I never use cadmiums... they're too opaque for my tastes... :D

If you were to soften the edges of the lower right petals, bleeding them into your background, you would begin to "connect your darks"... There's a gorgeous diagonal opportunity in this composition that will lead your viewers' eyes around this...

The veins in the middle foreground petal look excellent!!! (you did read the lesson)... :D

Macro florals are just a hair's breadth from abstract and you'll have a gorgeous painting when you finish it... Looking forward to your next steps!!!

Starsprite
10-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Chris! I thought you were finished with this!! It looks done to me!!! :confused:

BTW, I have Susain Harrison-Tustain's book called Glorious Garden Flowers in Watercolor which has been very helpful to me. She paints with both transparent and opaque colors for her flowers. She uses primarily Schmincke brand paints (which I can't find) but I'm sure other brands would work as well.

Her Transparent Yellows:
Indian Yellow (Schmincke)
Aureolin (W&N)
Primary Yellow (Maimeriblu)
Transparent yellow (W&N)

Other Fav Transparents:
(all Schmincke cept the Sap Green which is Maimeriblu)
I'd just use whatever brand I have though.
Pthlalo Blue
Paris Blue
Ultramarine Blue
Ultramarine Blue Finest
Pthlalo Green
Alizarin Crimson
Madder Lake Deepp
Burnt Siena
Sap Green

She uses some Opaques also
Schmincke Cadmium Yellow Deep
Naples Yellow W&N

She uses those for dense leaves and petals.

"The secrets to succssful washes over opaque color are to always allow your work to dry completely between washes and to lay in your clear water and pigment washes gently, with a minimum of brushstrokes. allow the water to disperse the pigment for you wherever you can. This is a precarious practice, so care is needed. " Susan Harrison-Tustain

Sedimentary Colors for granulation effects
Yellow Ochre
Raw Umber
Raw Sienna
Burnt Sienna
Ultramarine Blue
Cerulean Blue

I hope this is helpful...if not..... nevermind..LOL :)

NodakerDeb
10-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Here it is!!!

Geesh Chris, I saw this posted last night just before I turned off the computer ready to close my peepers for the night... saying to myself that I was going to respond to it today. I finally found it !! :)

Dang it Banxy, you can paint flowers!

Camellia mentioned balance so I took the liberty of adding a bit of burgundy via PS (which I'm not very good at doing) to see if it helped with the balancing. What do you think about that upper left corner being a bit darker?

Also, did anyone else find the little birdie :)

Great painting Chris -- perfect palette with the perfect amount of orange! ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2005/36302-31024-Brandy_Rose2.jpg

Starsprite
10-03-2005, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=NodakerDeb]

Also, did anyone else find the little birdie : [QUOTE]

Well no Deb...I didn't see it till now!! You are very observant! Yup a little birdie in a nest! Cool Banxy! :)

KathyJB
10-03-2005, 03:54 PM
ahh i see the bird but the questions did banxy know there was a bird there?

Kat

mr sandbanx
10-03-2005, 04:09 PM
You'd be surprised at how very little Banxy actually knows Kat.

pampe
10-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Chris

great start

great advice

You know more than you think you do

KathyJB
10-03-2005, 04:23 PM
naw banksy I beg to differ, this is one K O macro you got here!!!

Kat

mr sandbanx
10-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Well I am a bit disappointed this was relegated to the dungeon.... but I suppose my opening comments could easily have led one to believe I was not finished.... so mea culpa.

It does not however need to be included in Chars homework thread as I don't recal Char assigning this image to me as 'homework'.

I will start over..... but first I have some 'Challenge tidy up' needs doing..., thanks Dake, Deb, Spritey, Kat, June, Stridey and Char, for taking the time to comment on this 'practice' painting.... and for giving me some great advise and some awesome encouragement.

It's odd how one can see things once a painting is posted, that he can't see when the original is staring him in the face. I am looking at thoise things now.

Chris

olliewood0702
10-03-2005, 10:31 PM
This is so warm and glowing Chris!! I really like it...and that bird!! (you knew it you old fibber;) Seriously though this is a wonderful start to MANY more florals! :clap: :clap: :evil: :wink2:

laudesan
10-03-2005, 10:37 PM
(((Chris)))

Again I love this piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaydiva
10-04-2005, 04:03 AM
Your macro is looking really good, Chris!!
I like the colours and the loose approach.
Deb's little bit of burgundy (the paintable kind :wink2: ) adds quite a bit of depth.

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/32313-tnhaus.jpg

my new art website (http://www.diva-design.de/JBB/index.htm)

juneto
10-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Actually I see a definite Humming Bird just above Deb's Bird , anyone else see that ?
June

Starsprite
10-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Actually I see a definite Humming Bird just above Deb's Bird , anyone else see that ?
June

Yes June!! I see it!! I also see a clam shell over there on the right side.... :)

Kate Mc
10-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Chris, this is great! I love the abstract quality of it, especially with Deb's balancing act. The colors are really great, and I love the action in them.

Looking forward to more.

Kate

NodakerDeb
10-04-2005, 07:36 PM
June

June I do! Is this it?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/36302-36302-31024-Brandy_Rose3.jpg

Chris, what a clever painter you are -- you've really held our attention. :)

Deb

mr sandbanx
10-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Well.... the eyeball on Debs bird was a bit of eraser droppings that I have now swept onto the floor.

The hummingbird .... I don't see that yet but I am too familar with this one and am blinded to some things.

the top corner is getting darker... need a few more swipes at it.

thanks again everyone... I will post this in the gallery if I ever get it done.

gooby

Jade Scarlett
10-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Chris this is really beautiful, you're definitely multitalented. I'm sure you alredy made Char one proud teacher.

As for the hummingbird, IMO I thinks this one's a bit too chubby, hummingbirds are slender and gracious. BTW, just something cute. In my own language we call them "Beija-flor" which translated literally means "kisser of flowers". I know I'm biased, but isn't it a much more poetic way to call such a delicate bird?

JADE

seedy
10-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi....
Good grief....
Chris.....I just hope this an abstract.....cause I have no idea of what this is....is there a ref photo somewhere that I can relate to?
What the h*** is going on about trying to find a bird?
Is it about some flower or what....
All I see is a bunch of shapes....and colours....althought some of the colours chosen are my favs....
I see that even Nick is sucking up....congrats....;-)
I can tell from your comments that even you seem confused....must be the poetry.
Crips....I just noticed that it's 8 x 10.....call that macro?
Am I being hard on you?.....for sure....you can do better....

mr sandbanx
10-07-2005, 09:40 PM
We can always do better Brian. As for this, it can be whatever you want it to be.

Regarding the bird... I don't have a clue either. Some people see better than some others I guess.

Not sure why 8 x 10 can't be a macro. (Unless I got my macros and minis mixed up, but I think not) Thanks for stopping by,I appreciate it.

Chris

KathyJB
10-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Hi....
Good grief....
Chris.....I just hope this an abstract.....cause I have no idea of what this is....is there a ref photo somewhere that I can relate to?
What the h*** is going on about trying to find a bird?
Is it about some flower or what....
All I see is a bunch of shapes....and colours....althought some of the colours chosen are my favs....
I see that even Nick is sucking up....congrats....;-)
I can tell from your comments that even you seem confused....must be the poetry.
Crips....I just noticed that it's 8 x 10.....call that macro?
Am I being hard on you?.....for sure....you can do better....

Your kidding right?

KatinIthinksitsgreathat

mr sandbanx
10-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Ok so the finish is here:

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299468

and the Hummingbird is here:

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3949639#post3949639

Thanks to all who came by the studio here to help me with this.