PDA

View Full Version : What's on your easel Oct 2 - 8

Lady Carol
10-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Hey everyone.....the place to post those unfinished pieces for advice or just to post. Also, if you want independent crits when your painting is finished be sure to put it in a thread of it's own.

Incidentally anyone can start this thread.

I've been working on this gull. Nasty birds and very annoying at the beach but it was a good photograph so I just had to paint it.....
We have had such beautiful autumn weather so just had to paint this outside.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2005/11811-gull2-small.JPG

Nitsa
10-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Carol your wood is looking very good! Looking fwd to seeing this one develop....Is this a bird series by any chance?

bullyluvver
10-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Yep - nast they are, but they still facinate me. Always on the lookout for a stray chip or some other tasty morsel! I also like how you've done the wood post and will watch for further progress on this one.

Gail

Charlie's Mum
10-02-2005, 07:09 PM
That wooden post is excellent Carol :D

This one of mine - just finished today - is for the Sept. Project .... working from, and like, Maxfield Parrish.
I must say I've never copied a painting before - it was some test, not easy ..... kept wanting to do 'my own thing' and not stay true to the ref!

Christmas Morning, after Max. Parrish

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2005/30494-Xmas_morn,_max_parish,1.jpg

10x12 on stretched canvas - sorry about the join, had to scan and stitch!

wintersrose
10-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Wow, Carol! This is looking great, as usual. I love the detail on the post.

I also just started on a new painting. I'm hoping to give it to my Mom for Christmas, depending on how it turns out, lol. Otherwise, I may have to do a different one.

This painting is taken from the RIL and was posted by DJFan. Thank you DJFan! It is on 11x14 canvas board and so far, the background has been done in Hooker's Green.

I need some advice, please! I approached the background differently. Normally I would paint it a solid color and build detail from there. This time, however, I started by randomly brushing in the color to create a different texture. I kind of like it, but I'm not sure if I should leave it that way or re-do it to make it look more like the actual foliage on the photo. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks for looking.

wintersrose
10-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Beautiful, Maureen! Maxfield Parrish is one of my Mom's favorite artists, as well as mine. I must say you've done a splendid job! :)

Lady Carol
10-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Anita: no it is not a series. Just paint what appeals to me.

Gail: thanks.

Maureen: yup. Definitely looks like Max Marrish. What did you learn about the technique? I am yet to do my rendition of him.

Gail: I would do the rest of the painting and then adjust the background accordingly. It is too hard to tell at the moment how well the background will work with the rest of the painting. No point in laboring over the background only to have to adjust it again.

damar
10-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Lady Carol: Thanks for starting this weeks thread. Your gull painting is going to look great!...you're off to a good start!
Charlie's Mum: Very good work with all those cool blues!

Mine is a (WIP) still life from my deck.
(I've had this old, galvanized watering can for 30 years.)
This is just a 5 x 7 study, hope to finish tomorrow but I may try another arrangement for the composition, because I don't like the planter box and the background behind the deck rails.
I made the canvas board myself. I used a scrap of primed canvas from a canvas pad, white-glued it to heavy cardboard, with edges wrapped to the back, and mitred corners.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2005/28389-scan.jpg
5 x 7 Acrylic on Canvas Board

Lady Carol
10-03-2005, 11:25 AM
damar: this is looking great. The composition is very interesting. Maybe what you don't like is that everything is very horizontal. Breaking it up a bit by adjusting the height of the flowers would add interest.

damar
10-03-2005, 12:20 PM
damar: this is looking great. The composition is very interesting. Maybe what you don't like is that everything is very horizontal. Breaking it up a bit by adjusting the height of the flowers would add interest.
Yup! I agree with the height of the flowers. At this point, it may be easier to make the handle of the watering can higher. The flowers are supposed to hint at being mums (I have a hard time in wanting to paint flowers, I see them as a mass of color and want nothing to do with painting the details!).
I'm going to try some alternate still life set-ups with the watering can, and see if I can create a better arrangement. I'll post this when finished though.
Thanks for looking!
Regards,
damar

Charlie's Mum
10-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Rosalie- I like your random bk/gd but I find the scale of it at odds with the subject!
Does that make sense to you? so, for me, perhaps making more of a suggestion of foliage might be appropriate ........... up to you of course!

Damar - I crave that watering can! I've always wanted one like that for precisely your reason - still life arrangements :D
As for the comp - I think I'd like something just breaking the line(s) of the w/can somewhere - and making the handle higher could work too.
The flowers are fine - don't want to make too much of them anyway when they're in the mid-distance as far as the group is concerned.
Incidentally, are you left handed? I only ask because I keep wanting to have the can on the right and wondered if it was 'cos I'm R-handed!!! ........ and we 'read' a painting from L to R usually .............. now I'm probably confusing everyone - lol!!!

eva_shey
10-03-2005, 02:36 PM
my son

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2005/65475-stevie600px.jpg

bjcpaints
10-03-2005, 02:44 PM
See Carol; We like you to start to thread because you do such a good job. :D The wood is fantastic in your painting!
Maureen, Wonderful job on your Parrish piece! I backed out of that project - got cold feet!
I will post my rose in progress here tonight. I also have a cow trio in progress.
Damar, Lovely still life and good for you making your own canvasboard!!
Rosalie, That painting looks like it could be a companion piece to one we just had in the WDE!
Eva, Very interesting painting! Please tell us more about it- size, etc.
I will try to remember to post mine tonight!
Barbara

wintersrose
10-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Thank you for your comments, Carol, Maureen & Barbara! You're right, Carol, I had the same thought that I should work on the subject more to see how the background fits in.

Maureen: I totally agree that the background is at odds with the subject. It's too small and recedes too far into the distance in comparison to the rest. Is that what you meant? I think I'm going to paint in larger leaves and just keep a little of the random effect beneath.

Damar: I agree with you and Carol that the composition is a little too horizontal, but other than that I think it's beautiful. I like how you suggest the flowers instead painting all of the detail. I have the opposite problem. I always want to put too much detail into something and it can become overwhelming when you have a lot to do, lol.

Eva: Neat composition, can't wait to see more!

Barbara: I'm really looking forward to seeing your newest WIP's! I love roses, but haven't had the guts to tackle one, et, lol! Pardon my ignorance, but what is WDE? :confused:

damar
10-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Damar - I crave that watering can! I've always wanted one like that for precisely your reason - still life arrangements :D
If you want any photo's or close ups in a neutral setting, I'd be glad to take a few shots for you.
As for the comp - I think I'd like something just breaking the line(s) of the w/can somewhere - and making the handle higher could work too.
I'm not going to over-fuss with it..its just a small study, I can make corrections on the larger version!
The flowers are fine - don't want to make too much of them anyway when they're in the mid-distance as far as the group is concerned.
I agree!
Incidentally, are you left handed? I only ask because I keep wanting to have the can on the right and wondered if it was 'cos I'm R-handed!!! ........ and we 'read' a painting from L to R usually .............. now I'm probably confusing everyone - lol!!!
LOL...I am right handed by do some things left handed (like knitting, spinning and quilting left handed). Funny that you mention this, because the first series of photo's that I took, I had the handle on the right, but for some reason, I thought that led my eye out of the canvas, When I turned the can with the handle on the left, it didn't lead my eye out of the canvas. (I may be a closet lefty!) :D
Thanks for looking and sharing thoughts and comments.
Do check out feed stores and farm supply stores for galvanized watering cans.
This can has survived 3 moves over 30 years..the sprinkle spout is removable and it's a wonder it's never been lost!

Lady Carol
10-04-2005, 05:00 PM
See Carol; We like you to start to thread because you do such a good job. :D
:eek: :o

You're too kind, Barbara.

I am contemplating whether I should incorporate bird doody or not. It will add to the realism of the piece but it is bird doody after all. The humourous side of me says yes.....but then again.

scandia3815
10-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Still working on this one, but nearly done!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/15981-15981-step11.jpg

Lady Carol
10-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Aaron: this is coming along really well. Love the reflections in the glass.

wintersrose
10-04-2005, 10:07 PM
LOL, Carol! The bird doody would certainly add to the realism! Where there are gulls, there is gull doody! :eek: :rolleyes:

wintersrose
10-04-2005, 10:10 PM
BTW, Gorgeous work, Aaron! I really like the folds in the cloth as well as the reflection in the bottle.

tremblad
10-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Your works everyone are so good! :clap: I will not comment on each but If I could only be half as talented as you all are, I would be more than satisfied!

At the end of my last painting session, there was some paint left in my foam plate. So I've decided to start my next painting by blocking the major forms on a new hard board. I did that in about 10 minutes. But then, there was about 1 inch thick of paint on the canvas. It would have taken an eternity to dry and I had to go back home. So, I took a ScottTowel and tried to remove the more painting I could. Here is the result (and what is on my easel right now):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/45252-MWSnap110_2005-10-04-20_46_15.jpg

You're impressed, hein? Don't try to find the secret message hidden behind it; there is none! But, do you guess what I intended to do? Here is two "zero-in" from a picture taken in Sevilla, Spain. I wanted to do the first one but I wonder if the second one would be better. What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/45252-MWSnap110_2005-10-04-12_42_49.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2005/45252-MWSnap111_2005-10-04-12_43_17.jpg

Have a nice day everyone ...

Godzoned
10-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Great work everyone!
I've started on my second of three NZ native flowers. The Kakabeak flower.

No photo taken yet its at that really ugly stage to the point I think I mucked it up. :(

Hopefully I get the time to do some more this week.... So hard when I have a little one and addicted to two art web forums!!! :)

bjcpaints
10-05-2005, 10:47 PM
C'mon Debbie! Show it! Here is my muck-up! This poor rose macro that is overworked and lost its lovely light translucency. I will drag it to my show on Saturday nonetheless. I may find time to do a few touchup and finish the bottomside - its a "creative edge" 1 and 1/2" deep gallery wrap.
Rosalie, WDE is the Weekend Drawing Event in the All Media Forum - its a misnomer really as you can use any medium. Please come join us - the ref pics are usually put up Friday or Saturday and you choose what you want to paint/draw whatever. No rules really except you post after working on it for 2 hours done or not. Then repost your finish!
Aaron, you have the patience required to do a beautiful painting. I am envious. I feel I paint furiously sometimes - probably due to my dayjob!
Barbara

bjcpaints
10-05-2005, 10:49 PM
C'mon Debbie! Show it! Here is my muck-up! This poor rose macro that is overworked and lost its lovely light translucency. I will drag it to my show on Saturday nonetheless. I may find time to do a few touchup and finish the bottomside - its a "creative edge" 1 1/2" deep gallery wrap. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2005/49636-rose_macro_final.jpg

wintersrose
10-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Thanks Barbara, I'd love to join in the WDE if I have the time! I feel your pain on the rose macro, My current WIP is really starting to irritate me. I can't seem to get the right color and highlights/shadow on the flower and I'm starting to debate whether I should scrap it and start over, lol. Everything I do just seems to make it worse and I have so many other ideas that I'd like to try painting, but really only have time to do one at a time! :mad: Anyway, enough of my whining, lol! :wink2: BTW, I rather like your rose painting. I'm really fond of macros like that. Good luck!

bjcpaints
10-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Thank you Rosalie - I keep trying flowers once in while and hope that I will catch on! LOL Animals are truly "my thing".
Barbara

Phoenyx
10-06-2005, 12:02 PM
This is... well... -one- of the projects I have going at the moment... I tend to work on several at once. This one is the first of the ones I'm doing for the October Project (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=949). I have another one I've started for the project as well... and three others in various stages of "almost there".

Yes, I am insane... how could you tell? :wink2:

Faded
10-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Wow, lots of great stuff here as always.I'll be working on this once a week in class, so this seems the best thread for it. It's a Yuma tribesman, circa 1900. This is another grisaille, tho I plan on adding some color to this one. This is 11x14 on 5/8 gallery wrap. All comments welcome Thanks
-David

damar
10-06-2005, 10:51 PM
This one has been hiding far away from the easel. I abandoned it, because I didn't like the "paint-by-number" look of it. No animal painting experience.
I may pull it out and see if I can smooth it to some semblance of "finished".
I had just started laying the coat texture over a rough, blocked in under painting.
She is short-coated and has distinct markings.
It's 12 x 16 Canvas Board
Our (?) Boxer/Dane/??? Mix (when she was a pup, hanging over the back of the couch)
The lamby-toy (also unfinished) lasted about 10 minutes. :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2005/28389-DSCN1253.JPG

3chaway9
10-07-2005, 12:59 PM
:wave: Hi all,
you are all doing well i see......very industrious...i would like C&C on this WIP 'fantasy' painting for the Oct. project...say anything as i need all the help i can glean out of you all...