PDA

View Full Version : Peppers in Acrylics

marshallgh
10-01-2005, 11:16 PM
This is my first real acrylic painting. It is 11x14 on canvas. I used liquitex paints. white gesso, zinc wh, brnt sienna, brnt umber, cad yel lt, hansa yel lt, naples yel, yel ochre, ino orange red, cad red lt, napthol red, perm aliz crimson, phthalo green, carbizol violet.

This is an acrylic project started by rickymanchester. I thought it was simple enough to get my feet wet with this medium. I also posted a couple of progress pictures if anyone is interested. I always love to see how people work. I have learned sooooo much from WC.

Once I did my underpainting, I decided to do it in soft pastels. That was several months ago.....I finally decided to finish it in acrylics...I kept putting it off since I was nervous about the medium. It had been soooo long. I purchased one of those palettes with a sponge (masterson's)....what a great item. I am surprised at how little paint I actually used. I think I have enough acrylic paints to last a couple of lifetimes!

I was going for the dramatic light and shadow look. I think there's a name for that. I also tried to pay more attention to lost/found edges. Its a little hard to do with acrylics....at least for me anyway!

I used a lot of glazing medium.

C&C is appreciated.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Terry :wave:

Marty C
10-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Hi Terry,
Very, very nice work! For a first acrylics you have done extremely well. The red shadow for the green pepper is just great. Can't offer too many crits on this piece, you have done a fine job!
That's a wet palette you bought, very useful item if you want to use acrylics for any length of time.

marshallgh
10-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks Marty.

This is link for the project incase anyone else is interested. It is perfect project from a newbie point of view. Simple composition. Simple colors to achieve. I probably could have done this with fewer paints than I actually used.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=742

Terry

Lulu
10-02-2005, 12:28 AM
great job!

Nitsa
10-02-2005, 06:03 AM
Very nice...Especially like the way you handled the shelf and the background.

I hope this result encourages you to use your acrylics more often.

rickymanchester
10-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Hi Terry,

Nice job! Although you say you are a beginner to acrylics it is obvious that you are not a beginner artistically. I hope you will stick with acrylics and produce more work for us to peruse.

I really like the contrast in this painting (between light and shadows) which make it seem like an old classic. Also that yellow pepper in particular seems very well rounded.

Well done and best wishes

3chaway9
10-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Great painting.....and i agree about the shelf....well done.

marshallgh
10-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Lulu, Nitsa, Richard, and Caroline, thank you for you kind comments. I think by doing this painting first in soft pastel I worked out all of bugs (shadows, colors, etc.). Its amazing but when I finish a piece I almost have an emotional attachment to it. However, I do not have any of my other painting since I end up giving them away to family and friends. I am going to start to keep them since a friend of mine is opening a new art gallery in Pittsburgh and I will be able to show my stuff there. Who knows maybe even sell something!

Richard,
I really didnt start back to art until about 1.5yrs ago when I stumbled across art supplies on ebay one day. How wonderful that was. I haven't picked up a drawing pencil, let alone a brush since my design class in college in 1980. (all my electives were art classes). Now I have enough art supplies to start my own school! However, I was always drawing as a kid. I took art classes every saturday at the Carnegie Museum from 4th grade thru 10th grade. But after my elective art classes in college there was no art in my life until that fateful day I happened upon ebay. I went back to graduate school at 41 (sadly not for art), and once I finished with my graduate programs, I think about little else than art. I should have pursed art but did not. Ohhhhh, the wrong choices we make in life! ....Once I was lost, but now I am found! Thanks to Wetcanvas, and the wealth of knowledge found in books and on video, I have learned an amazing amout of info. I am fascinated by all of the different pigments and the unique characteristics of each one. Before, I never knew, or heard of transparency or opacity, glazing or scumbling. As with any endeavor, however, knowledge is the key. It always helps to have a little talent, but I have always believed that with knowledge and practice, you (anyone) can do just about anything.
And Richard....thanks again for the wonderful project! :D

Cheers to all of my artist friends, and happy painting,
Terry

Lady Carol
10-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Wonderful peppers. I think you did a gerat job. So, did you like acrylics? With something as successful as this, I bet we will see more of your art here in the forum.

marshallgh
10-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Also a little tip....I forgot to mention....
When I finished the painting, the edges of the canvas were unpainted. I didn't use a gallery wrap canvas but I still wanted the edges to look more finished (eventhough they won't show). So I mixed all of the paint that was left on my palette together and ended up with a dark reddish-brown. I used this to paint the edges of the canvas. Hence no paint was left to dry and throw away, and the edges of the canvas are painted (with paint that would have been thrown away after it dried out). :) :clap:

Terry

marshallgh
10-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Wonderful peppers. I think you did a gerat job. So, did you like acrylics? With something as successful as this, I bet we will see more of your art here in the forum.

Thanks Carol.
Once I found the wet palette and the glazing medium, everything was soooo much easier to use. It was a cheap investment that enabled me to really appeciate the acrylic medium. When I was in college, oh those many years ago, I used styrofoam plates. The acrylic paint dried sooo fast that I didn't like it at all! I had also seen acrylic paintings that looked like they were painted with plastic in the past, which didn't appeal to me. It wasn't until I saw some fine art done with acrylics that renewed my interest. Now my only problem is....I have so many art supplies and toooo little time. I am falling in love with each new medium I try. I am currently trying very hard to learn how to use my watercolor paints.

Also....I read the directions on the bottle of soluvar. It said to put a coat of gloss medium all over the finished acrylic painting and let it dry for three days before applying the coat of soluvar. Once I put the coat of gloss medium on and let it dry it really makes the painting pop. It added such depth. I was amazed. IRL it looks so much better than it does on the computer screen. But I guess you all know what that is like!

Terry

PS My friends all think I'm crazy. If I am out with them and starring at things, they say, " what are you doing?" I find light and shadow amazing....I guess I need to start hanging out with artists, they are the only ones that understand! :rolleyes:

Dyin
10-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Terry, forum hopped to see this one...wow, what a great job you did! The veggies are great but I love the nicks in the table top and the nice fade to darkness in the corner. You've done some wonderful pastel work that I've really admired, but I think you and a brush were made for each other :) And just love all this new found enthusiasm too :D
Great work!

AlisonBC
10-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Just wow! I am so impressed. I can't think of anything else to say but WOW! :D

Leslie Pz
10-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Fantastic! Very very well studied and captured!!! :clap:

marshallgh
10-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Thank you for your comments Leslie and artstuff! Good and not-so-good comments are always welcome to anyone wishing to learn from others.

AND artstuff....welcome to Wetcanvas!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am so honored that I am one of your first posts! Let's see some of your work soon. I was lurking on this website for months before I posted anything. It is a bit overwhelming. There is so much good art and knowledge going on here. I have learned a ton. And I spend countless hours reading thru various threads.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Terry

Charlie's Mum
10-02-2005, 07:21 PM
This is an extremely impressive first acrylic Terry - a joy to see!
I do like the 17thC feel you've given this with the shelf and the CHIAROSCURO - that's the name for the dramatic light and shade you were looking for!!!! :D

You'll find, in this forum, a monthly project specifically for Acrylics and also a monthly Classroom, also for acrylics ....... they're in a sticky near the top of the forum page.

So welcome to the forum - and please, more paintings like this!

Artstuff - if you're looking in - welcome too, please post some work :D

marshallgh
10-02-2005, 07:56 PM
This is an extremely impressive first acrylic Terry - a joy to see!
I do like the 17thC feel you've given this with the shelf and the CHIAROSCURO -

Thanks for the comments Maureen. And also the million-dollar word. I'm going to have to write it down and use it over and over so I don't forget it!

My friends will be sooo impressed when I use that word when I show them my painting!! LOL

They already think I'm crazy! Who knows what they will think now. But who cares anyway!!

Terry

maverick
10-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Fantastic painting! I love the classic look. It looks like you handle acrylics like a pro.

The shadow on the red pepper looks dull on my screen. I'm sure it's just my LCD monitor. I noticed that shadows look a bit different since I got it.

That red really pops!

marshallgh
10-02-2005, 09:59 PM
thanks maverick! the body shadow is aliz crim with a touch of thalo gr. the cast shadow from the gr pepper on the red pepper is napthol crimson, violet, with a very tiny tiny amount of thalo gr. it does look a little flat on my screen also, but IRL i can see all the colors in the shadows. its easier to see the red in the cast shadow on the table top from the gr pepper since it abutts the naples yellow.

i wish i could show you the real painting.

thanks again,
terry

k9artisan
10-03-2005, 05:56 AM
Terry, What a beauiful still life you have painted. It reminds me of the old masters in it's technique and lighting. Really lovely!
Amber

marshallgh
10-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Amber,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I think that once I paint a few more I am going to try to sell them. I'm not counting on it tho, since I do this for sheer enjoyment. I love art! and making art!
I guess we are all striving to be modern day masters! Isn't that a great thought! But hard to live up to....
Thanks again,
Terry

AlisonBC
10-16-2005, 05:53 AM
Hi Terry and thank you for the welcome :) I am new but didn't lurk at all (I like to throw myself in at the deep end!) I'll post some of my stuff soon.

art.

AlisonBC
10-16-2005, 05:56 AM
Charlie's mum! Thanks for the welcome :)

I can't help but admit I am a tad nervous about posting my work here....you are all so good!

bullyluvver
10-16-2005, 08:26 AM
First class painting! I like everything about this, especially the wood beneath the peppers. Beautifully done.

Gail

jbitzel
10-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Hey, I loved this project. It was the first paintings I ever sold. I made a set, viewable on the project page. Very nicely done.