PDA

View Full Version : Cathedral door

RobS
10-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi....

I've been working with watercolors for a few months now, and as I learned a lot from WC members I thought it was about time to post something of my own and open up for some c&c.
The painting was done from a reference photo and it was a lot of fun to do.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Rob

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2005/67988-cathedralDoor.jpg

Granny R
10-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Oh I am glad you are sharing your work. This is super!! Love the archway. I think your shadows can be stronger on this, but I'm no expert. It appears you have a bright sunny day and therefore the cast shadows would be quite strong on the ground and on the shadow sides of the structure.

Ruth

Tunek
10-01-2005, 10:47 AM
wow! Love the brickwork...I agree with Ruth about the stronger shadows, but nevertheless this is a great painting...:clap:

Yorky
10-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Excellent observation of the architecture, Rob, and well rendered stonework.

Yes perhaps darker shadows - it looks like a photograph on a dull day.

Darker shadows will bring more sunlight into the picture.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Doug

artmom
10-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Welcome!

Very nicely done, and, I agree--more darks! :D

Lyn

madmum
10-02-2005, 03:35 AM
Welcome Rob!!!!

I recognise this porch! The North entrance to Hereford Cathedral. You have painted it beautifully, all the detailing is excellent.

As I took the photo I know the lighting is exactly the same, but I would agree that pushing the shadows would really bring the painting to life. You could also add more colour to the windows, suggesting a reflected sky or trees.

Thank you for choosing one of my reference images for your first post!!!

Ruth

RobS
10-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Thank you all for your nice comments!:)
I appreciate it very much and can learn a lot from it!!!
I agree I have to concentrate on the shadows a bit more.
Ruth, your photo was a great inspiration!
Rob :wave:

faust
10-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Rob, I am very impressed with your stonework. While I agree about the shadows giving this some added depth, I also think the center flowers (foreground) could maybe use a littel more shape.
Faust

vasilkadifeli
10-06-2005, 01:48 AM
Hi Rob and welcome to WC! :wave:...
I like the stone work and the archway, very well done :clap:...

RobS
10-06-2005, 04:23 AM
Thx Faust & Vasil :)
Faust: I'm currently searching for a style of my own. It seems to go toward a mixture between detailed and loose painting.
I like the combination of the two.:cool:

cheers Rob

painterbear
10-07-2005, 04:22 AM
Rob,

Welcome to the Watercolor Forum and congratulations on your first painting post!

You did a wonderful job with this complex architectural painting. (I painted this same reference photo by Madmum once too, so I know all those ins and outs pretty well. ;))

Like you, I'd like to be able to paint a little loosely, but still continue to put in the details that I like so much. The slap-dash style of big shapes and no details isn't my cup of tea although some people do it really, really well. :rolleyes:

Keep practicing and painting and show us your work, that is one sure way to improve, especially with a complex medium like watercolor.

Sylvia

Lynn Quinn
10-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Rob, I really like this! Great job on the stonework, as already mentioned. And, welcome!