PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Month #22 - October 2005 (Salvadore Dali)

bjs0704
09-30-2005, 11:16 PM
This month's Master of the Month is Salvadore Dali.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/11410-Dali_face.jpg

Salvador Dali was born In Giueras, Spain near Barcelona in 1904. He went to the Madrid School of Fine Arts. Three years later, he was expelled for his outrageous rebellious behavior. He remained in Madrid until 1928.

He was influenced considerably by two Italian influences during the Ď20ís. They were Futurism and Metaphysical painting. Dali adapted the Futurist technique of using successive images t o represent movement to his own work. Dali used the Futurist technique to show successive images in his own psyche.

Metaphysical Painting was a reaction to abstraction. It reacted against cubism Ďs tendency toward formal abstraction and was characterized by exploration of the effect of placing common objects in strange and ambiguous settings to reveal their inner magical qualities. Similarly, the concern for the ďpoetic contentĒ of art, arising from emphasis upon subject matter and evocative use of the formal elements of composition, color etc. and traditional illusionistic techniques perspective modeling, chiaroscuro are characteristic of Dali.

Dali moved to Paris in 1928. There he met members of the Surrealist movement, like Joan Miro and the Paul Eluard. Their ideas were similar to Daliís. It was at this point that Dali started working in a surrealist style. His work was influenced by painters such as Miro, Giorgio de Chirico and Yves Tanguy.

By 1930 he had developed the style that we associate with him. He saw the goal of a surrealist was to render the artistís unconscious images and associations. He had invented pictorial and compositional devices that would represent visually the workings of the psychic mechanisms explored in Freudís theories.

Through self-induced hallucination and free association, he would bring his own psychic images and precisely render them on canvas. His technique was very realistic and finished like a ďhand-painted dream photographĒ. This precision is one of the things that makes him different from the other Surrealists.

Administrative edit: There have been some questions posed regarding Fair Use laws in using the works of certain artists, and this case in particular.

Please be advised that whether or not a site has paid advertisers (such as WC!) has nothing to do with fair use laws. Fair use laws deal specifically with the ability to re-create works of art for learning purposes, rather than profit. In other words, we can not attatch our names to them and sell them as our own creations. None if it has anything to do with whether or not a site profits from advertising. We are perfectly safe in using the information provided for this MOM so i hope everyone has a great time with it! Thanks Barb, for supplying an amazing amount of quailty information on Dali! Enjoy, everyone!

Cheryl

By the way, I'm posting this in the oil forum. At the end of the month, I will move it to the "Painting from the Masters" subforum of the Oil forum. If any of you want to explore the painting techniques of favorite artist, check out this subforum. You may find information on how to paint like your favorite artist.

bjs0704
09-30-2005, 11:18 PM
He experimented with making films occasionally - the best known are The Andalusian Dog (1929), The Golden Age (1931), and the dream sequence of Alfred Hitchcockís Spellbound (1945).

This image is from Andalusian Dog.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/11410-chiene.jpg

bjs0704
09-30-2005, 11:20 PM
By the 1940ís, after a trip to Italy, Dali developed an interest in Renaissance and Mannerists paintings, particularly Leonardo da Vinci. His work often uses geometric composition, as in "Family of Marsupial Centaurs". He moves from personal psychic images to images from images from literature and history.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/11410-centaurs.jpg

bjs0704
09-30-2005, 11:23 PM
In the 1950ís, he did a number of religious works based on New Testament themes using traditional religious iconography, such as "Christ of Saint John on the Cross" (1951) and the "Last Supper" (1955). It still has the detail and precise rendering but, there are no longer the distortions and use of free association that characterized his early work.

Christ of Saint John on the Cross
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/11410-johncross.jpg

Last Supper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/11410-lastsupper.jpg

bjs0704
09-30-2005, 11:24 PM
One of this monthís Momís is ďGirl Standing at a WindowĒ from 1925. Itís a portrait of the artistís sister, Ana Maria. He did several other portraits of her that summer. It is an unusual painting in that the woman is shown from the back. This oddity of Daliís has been given several different explanations and interpretations from critics. The lessening of the human element is at odds with the vacation mood suggested my the view of the river.

The painting was part of the first one man exhibition at the Delmau Gallery in Barcelona.

Ana Maria had a close relationship with her brother, looking after him. She was his only female model until he married Gala Eluard. He then used Gala as his model.

Girl Standing at a Window (9"x 10")
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/11410-figurestandingatwindow.jpg

bjs0704
09-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Our other choice this month is ďThe Persistence of MemoryĒ from 1931. It is probably the best known of Daliís work. The hanging, dripping watches is a wonderful idea. It reaches into the unconscious and evokes the universal preoccupation with time and memory. The sleeping head on the sand in the foreground is Dali himself. He said that the idea for the painting came to him while he was meditating on the nature of Camembert cheese. The Port Lligat background had been painted earlier, so the painting took only a short time to do.

It shows the characteristic incongruous juxtapositions. The meaning stems not only from the incongruity of the objects in the painting, but also the impropriety of the objects. The dripping watch shows up in other paintings by Dali.

The Persistence of Memory (9 1/2" x 13") (24.1 x 33 cm)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/11410-persistance.jpg

bjs0704
09-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Dali wrote a book, ď50 Secrets of Magic CraftsmanshipĒ in 1948. Itís an interesting mixture of painting advice and Daliís unique brand of humor. Itís quite informative and fun!

Bibliography:

The Life and works of Dali by Nathaniel Harris, Shooting Star Press, 1994

The New International Illustrated Encyclopedia of Art, vol. 6, p. 1239, Greystone Press, 1968

Hereís a great website on Dali.
http://salvadordalimuseum.org

Artcyclopedia has a nice list of links to other museums showing work by Dali.
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/dali_salvador.html

A Few Pigments
10-01-2005, 05:45 AM
"The reason that some portraits don't look true to life is that some people make no effort to resemble their pictures" ... Salvadore Dali

:music: Hello, Dolly, well, hello, Dolly.
It's so nice to have you back where you belong.
You're looking swell, Dolly,
we can tell, Dolly,
you're still glowin', you're still crowin',
you're still goin' strong.
Dolly'll never go away,
Dolly'll never go away,
Dolly'll never go away again. :music: :clap:

bjs0704
10-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi Bruce,

It's great to see that you are here! I hope that you join in with the fun!

Hehe! Great rendition of Hello Dolly! I can just hear old Louis Armstrong singing!

That's a great quote about portraits! It is just the sort of thing that he says!

I'm going to be posting the painting method info in a bit! Which one are you going to be doing?

Barb Solomon :cat:

bjs0704
10-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Ok, does everyone have their twirly mustaches on! We are getting ready to paint like Dali!

Salvadore Dali was well known for using the Flemish Technique. He worked in a similar fashion as Jan Van Eyck. (I have heard of him having great interests in other working methods such as Vermeer and some of the Italian Renaissance artists.)

In ď50 SecretsĒ he does recommend Ivory Black as the intial underpainting.

He would then use glazes for the color. I would use the medium recommended in Bill Martinís article, http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/32418/530/. It is said that Dali used Blockx paint (http://www.blockx.be/en/histoire/historique.asp) and some of you may want to use their amber medium instead.
For the most part, a palette of lead white, ivory black,* ultramarine blue, Cobalt blue He also used yellow ochre, naples yellow and aurelin- raw umber perhaps - and a cadmium scarlet or vermilion ?* Something like that anyway

Dali did not like the use of either burnt umber or raw umber, so he used other earth based pigments as substitutes. There is a bit of Light Englsh Red in Persistance of Memory. For Reds, he used the Madder Lake family.

Here are the colors that Dali says can be used ďwith ConfidenceĒ. (from ď50 Secrets) (If you think that my list is incomplete, see if you canít find the color you like on this list.)

Blanc Díargent (lead white) - possesses the secret of terestrial and celestial opacities.
Light (English) Red
Mars Red
Venetian Red
Indian Red
Permanent Madder-Carmine
Madder Lakes
Rose and Red (Unroasted) (Does anyone have any guess what color he is thinking of?)
Burnt Sienna
Mars Orange
Cadmium (i n Orange and Yellow shades) - Possesses the secret of solar time. It is the Chrones of colours.
Mars Yellow
Aureolin - To be used for everything that is to shine. It is the gold and the god Mercury of colours.
Transparent Yellow
Italian Earth
Puriefied Yellow Ochre
Veronese Green - Possesses the secret of everything that is born from the sea. It is the Venus of colours.
Celadon Green
Lamoriniere Green
Light Olive Green
ďMarie CollartĒ Green - Possesses the secret of everything that is vegetal and humid. It is the river-nymphs of colors.
cobalt blue
Coeruleum Blue
Real Ultramarine
Guimetís Blue
Cobalt Violet
Mars Violet
Brown Ochre
Mars Brown
Transparent Brown
Cassel Earth
Blue Black
Ivory Black

Notice that both of these paintings are small - around 9" x 12".

I'm going to post other color tips from "50 secrets" in a little bit! He does talk quite a bit about color usage and color layering.

bjs0704
10-01-2005, 11:15 AM
For those of you who like to have larger images, here are some links:

Girl in Window
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/images...Dali-Figure.jpg

Persistance of Memory
http://neutrino.phys.washington.edu...nceOfMemory.jpg

Pars
10-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks for doing this MM on Dali. He's among my favourites.

The two links you provided didn't open for me, but I discovered that Girl in the Window appears on the 400 Euro. Just a bit of interesting trivia for a Saturday morn.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2005/35482-db_Girl1_salvadoreDali.jpg

TauCetiV
10-01-2005, 12:16 PM
wow! Info overload ! Hi Barb!
Barb you have outdone yourself on this MOM! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hi everyone - I am going to read and lurk and cheer everyone on! this is going to be interesting!

bjs0704
10-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Zoe - Do these links work better? If not, I will email the jgp to you.

Figure at Window
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/images/PhilMusArt-Dali-Figure.jpg

Persistance of Memory
http://neutrino.phys.washington.edu/~berns/K2K/GRAPHS/ThePersistenceOfMemory.jpg

Pars
10-01-2005, 01:48 PM
thanks much, Barb, these worked really well.

bjs0704
10-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Zoe - I'm curious, which one are you doing?

Pars
10-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Barb, thinking on "girl in the window." Trying to organise my life so that I can put up my easel.

I'm not familiar with this one, but have had the pleasure of seeing many of Dali's work here in NYC. Huntington Hartford had a short lived museum on CPS at the corner of CPW (you may have heard about it) and the first show I believe was Dali. Way back when. Late 60s I think, perhaps around 68.

Also another silly bit of trivia: I met Dali at the old Trudy's B&G on 6th Avenue a hundred years ago (around early 60s) and he was in his cups and raring to talk :D Can't remember what we talked about, but it was not art. :evil:

A Few Pigments
10-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Zoe you meet the most interesting people. Have you heard the story Cher told about the first time she and Sonny meet Dali? I guess he really knew how to party.

Hi Barb,
Iím burned out on copies. I want to focus on my own paintings now, but thank you for asking. Have fun with your thread.

Pars
10-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Bruce, I live now and lived then in New York - everybody's here for a minute :evil:

And no what happened when Cher and Sonny met Mr. S. D?

A Few Pigments
10-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Zoe in regard to the dinner party with Sonny and Cher it would be impossible to relate the details in a public forum. So, Iíll just say that Mr. S. D. seems to have been quite keen on certain group actives of an adult nature which Sonny and Cher emphatically found quite offensive. :eek: To their credit they quickly but graciously departed from Mr. S. D.ís dinner party and itís rather salacious and dubious idea of dinnertime entertainment. :clap: I was of course quite understandably shocked and appalled when I heard this story about the esteemed Mr. S. D., but itís not uncommon for people who have a lot of money and power to abuse the privileges life has placed in their hands. :evil: It seems all too common in these perilous times we live in. :(

Nickel
10-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Barb, great introduction to Dali! Thanks for all your hard work!
I am going to give ďThe Persistence of MemoryĒ a try.

Zoe, interesting pic of the 400 Euro! Itís also interesting you met Dali!

Hi Terri!

Bruce, have fun with your originals!

Does anyone know if Dali painted on canvas or board? I am using canvas, but just curious what he used or mostly used.

Nickel

DrawDweeb
10-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Hi. New member here and am going to try "girl standing at window". I see size listed at 9"x10" but I'm seeing some of the sites that refer to the picture as being 103x75cm which would make it about 40x39 inches? Does seem to be closer to 3/4 ratio looking at it. Was trying to figure out what size I might paint it at.

--Dweeb-

A Few Pigments
10-02-2005, 02:34 AM
Thank you Nickel. Iím sure some of those originals will be Wertherís Original Chewy Caramels http://www.storck.us/en/brand/werther/toffee/

Yum, yum! :) :wink2:

DrawDweeb
10-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Sorry....meant 103x75cm which would be about 40x29 inches

bjs0704
10-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Terri - Hi! Thanks for stopping in! I didnít see you before! I hope that you stay and cheer us on! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Zoe - ďGirl in the WindowĒ is such a lovely painting! :cool: :cool:

What a neat thing to have meet Dali! The Euro coin is gorgeous!

Sorry, Bruce! I can understand!

I suppose that someone could try just doing a section of one of these paintings! Cropping could also be a way to make it a more individual statement!

Hey, Nickel!!! It is nice to see you! Iím working on ďPersistance of Memory too! I have a small canvas that isnít too far from the original size! Itís going to be fun! :cool: :cool:

As I remember, he used canvas for these too paintings!

Hi Dweeb! I got the size from a museum website. I will check my other books and see if the sizes are correct. I thought that it seemed small.

Pars
10-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Barb, if you do have some good Dali references it would be great to see how large they say the "Girl in the Window" is. Dali generally painted very large. I think I've only seen a very few that are under-sized (for him).

One site I checked has reproduced the original at 90x60 (35.5x23.6) - much more the size I would expect.

As I am fundamentally not an oil painter--perhaps not a painter at all :evil:-- I am going to give your suggestion some serious thought and perhaps paint a portion of the painting although it is the whole painting I admire.

Thanks so much for doing this MOM and keeping us on our toes.

TauCetiV
10-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Through self-induced hallucination and free association Barb was he taking LSD or Peote??? :confused:

bjs0704
10-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Both of our MOM choices were done in oil paint on canvas.

I am still not having any luck with finding a website with the proper size on the painting. I still agree that 9" x 10" size is very small, but I am not finding another.

I will keep at it!

bjs0704
10-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Ok, "Persistance" is roughly 9" x 13". I found it in a second source. One of the books that I got my biographical information and information on the individual paintings. So unless, someone finds another source for sizes. I am staying with the ones that I posted!

Pars
10-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Barb, don't trouble too much. I shall check another off-line source. It just always helps to put into perspective how big the original is. I shan't paint a 90x60 :evil: -- couldn't find the room for a 12x18 <wg>

Thanks so much for trying.

bjs0704
10-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Quote:
"Through self-induced hallucination and free association"

Barb was he taking LSD or Peote???

You've got the idea, Terri!!!! Though I don't think that he used LSD or Peyote, but something else.

DrawDweeb
10-03-2005, 06:06 AM
Thanks to all for the research. Do see "Persistence" listed as 9.5"x13".

Here's the site I found "Girl" at 103x75cm (4th one down).

http://dali.uffs.net/galerie/gal.ascii.php?page=1

Thanks...--Dweeb-

TauCetiV
10-03-2005, 12:25 PM
ha! may be a little grass that naughty boy.... :evil:

bjs0704
10-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Terri - LOL!!! I'm not sure what Dali's "hallucinatory preferences" were exactly, but I did notice more than the expected references to Hashish in "50 Secrets".

Could this be due to his own experiences? I don't know. He apparantly was smoking something!

Barb Solomon:cat:

TauCetiV
10-03-2005, 02:53 PM
OH boy he was bad boy I don't see how he could keep from just eating his own paint :evil:

rosebard
10-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Hi Barb and all!! :cool:
Thanks Barb for taking us along this one. :clap:
I am taking a serious thinking about joining the MOM. An art friend from Classical Forum told me I would great benefit from this study. So, I am still figuring out what canvas to use as I dont have big sizes available. Anouther thing will be color and then medium. But color is not really the issue now because there is an underpainting to do first. Ivory black right Barb?
Ok, I cant get anymore art supplies at the moment. So I would have to work with I have. I have only linseed oil, stand oil, rectified turp, dammar varnish and liquin. ON Bills recipe he uses sun thickened oil. I dont have that. What shall I do to substitute it on my fat medium? I downloaded the pic so hopely I will be printing today to get it to compare to canvas size I have. I wouldnt want to crop it, wish to do it full size going to see how that work.

Any help is mostly appreciated and thanks in advance!

:) :wave:

Pars
10-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi Rose,

I can't help you with any substitutes, but as this is a learning, practice piece (for me) I am thinking small, and even possibly doing it in watercolour first. When I printed out the image last night it seemed such a good subject for w/c.

I don't have many oils these days (had them pinched a few years back from my cabin) so I'm starting from ground Zero. I got a few colours a month or so back with suggestions from Cath (artbabe) that I'll use for practice.

Now to the time, Nickel, I have 9:12am EDT :D

bjs0704
10-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Hi Rose - It looks as if you should be able to start. For an Fast Drying medium to use with the first layer, use (5 part turp), (1 part stand oil), (1 part dammar varnish). I suspect that I am using Billís recipe substituting stand oil for sun thickened linseed oil.

I am doing my painting on a 9Ē x 12Ē canvas. I usually add or cut off a little from the original, if I need to use a different canvas size. In this case, my version is going to be a bit shorter than the original. But I can understand if you would want to keep the proportions more similar.

I donít actually know what Dali used as an underpainting. There is a comment in ď50 secretsĒ that suggests that he used an ivory black and lead white grissaille. But, I also know that he worked in the ďFlemish techniqueĒ. Burnt umber and white would be more typical color for the underpainting - using it much like we did for the Vermeer MOM, but Dali is very much against the use of burnt umber. A similar brown from his list may be a choice. So you may have to guess and pick your favorite on this particular matter.

Zoe - I hope that you let us see your watercolor study! It could be an interesting choice of subject. Dali does say something in his book about the value of doing ink wash studies, particularly for beginners. Your watercolor may have many of the same strengths and benefits!

Nickel - Haha!!! While Iím doing this painting, my sense of time may be totally messed up! Hehe!

Pars
10-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Barb - I will share my w/c when I get it done so I learn and you can see.

Nickel, I agree Dali used a very limited palette in the Girl - maybe not more than 4-6 colours, and those would include black and white.

And as it is an exercise and stretching me back to youth, I'll try it with what I have. Thanks for your support!!

rosebard
10-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks Girls. Yep Nickel I want to do the girl in the window. I love the colors and the window overview is super. I will probably go for a yvory black underpainting. When I look at the painting, I can see grey underneath not brown. Thanks for the tips Barb, I should be able to start with that medium.

Lets hope I can get to start sometime this week. Tomorrow I am getting my copy of Artist Manual by Ralph mayer. Just hope that my urge to read the over 800 pages, dont pull my goals backward. LOL

Nickel
10-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Rose, the girl in the window is a lovely painting, and the vista, well, I am jealous...Is this your first time reading Mayer? It is a big book :) lots of information, your poor eyes will be too tired to paint, :)

Zoe, when I stretch back to my youth, hehe, I always break something.. :D

Pars
10-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Nickel - you made me laugh the first time today. I've been oh so serious all the day long.

And, Rose, Nickel is being so good about the book. Frankly, it is not what I'd call a book to read but rather a book to refer to and often :D Enjoy it at bedtime!

rosebard
10-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Yep first time. I actually dont have acess to art books at all. The ones I have which is only about 6, 2 are some brief overview with plates, one is how to paint like old master, 1 is drawing with left side of the brain, one is about flowers with Van Wyck and recently I bought chris sapper. So as you can see, my resource is more the internet really. This Mayer book sees to be a great book, like Zoe says, to refer to, and thanks Zoe, bedtime will be good time to read. LOL I will take that advice. I love books no doubts If I could would buy many. Just because I enjoy reading.

:)

bjs0704
10-04-2005, 11:42 PM
agree! The Girl at the Window is a very limited palette. Itís practically a monotone with some warm touches here and there.

Is that Ultramarine Blue? Then, add ivory black and white. You will also need to create the skin tone.

Zoe - I would try using what you have! You will still learn quite a bit.

Nickel - That is a great clock collection!

Watch those turp fumes, Nickel! LOL!!!

Rose - Itís going to be interesting to see how your ďGirl in the WindowĒ looks!

Lucky!!!! Your getting a copy of Ralph Meyerís Artist Manual! Itís a great book for paging through here and there!

Ava G
10-05-2005, 06:19 AM
Hi all,

i saw there was some uncertainity about the original size of Girl at the window so here are the facts i believe most likely to be true....:wink2:
The painting is located at the
Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina SofŪa in Madrid and labeled
Muchacha en la ventana (la hermana del artista)
105 x 74.5 cm
oil on canvas

http://www.museoreinasofia.es/coleccion/FormObra.php?idopra=65&idautor=18

so here we have that.......

Pars
10-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Yes, thanks Ava G and btw, I picked up a book of Dali's works today (a song @ 9.00) and it includes the "girl in the window."

It appears to be a good reproduction and concurs with Ava's info.

Now I am nearly ready to paint :D

A Few Pigments
10-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Zoe, I didnít know Dali was only paid $9.00 for his songs! Itís a good thing he made a lot more for his paintings or he would have starved! :D

Pars
10-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Bruce, thanks for the big laugh as I just arrived home from work :D and need a laugh or three, or perhaps even a song!

TauCetiV
10-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Pars I love your signature I am a dune fanatic-- love the quotes :D
sorry to interrupt painters proceed please I am lurking :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2005/44366-lurking2.gif

Pars
10-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Terri, I'll share some Dune's with you if you call me Zoe :D

Love your sense of humour! I loved Dune, not all of them, but some of them, and that quote really caught my attention and boy is it appropriate these days. :evil:

Love your cup, may I have one as I frequently do nothing but lurk!

TauCetiV
10-05-2005, 07:51 PM
sure Zoe! I like the later ones written by his son even better they are not so obtuse hehehe ok I am gone

Pars
10-05-2005, 07:55 PM
You can stay Terri and play! I think this quote may have come of the son (can't remember).

Take care!

Pars
10-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Just got the word, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Nickel! And many many many many more paintspots!

bjs0704
10-05-2005, 10:37 PM
:music: :music: Happy Birthday, Nickel!!! :music: :music:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2005/11410-cake4.gif

Barb Solomon

bjs0704
10-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi Everybody!

Thanks Ava! Thatís a big help! :cool: :cool: :cool:

The website that I am using for my information is a bit off. Itís a museum website too.

http://www.mfah.org/exhibition.asp?par1=1&par2=1&par3=125&par6=3&par4=662&lgc=4&currentPage=2

Hereís a good page with lots of links to Salvadore Daliís work!

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/dali_salvador.html

What a lucky find, Zoe!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Bruce - Itís good to see you! :wave:

bjs0704
10-05-2005, 11:17 PM
Terri - Thatís a great kitty photo! Itís good to have you stop by and encourage us! :wave: :cool: :cool:

TauCetiV
10-05-2005, 11:29 PM
yalll better get busy! I have finished two and am about 98 % done with a third lol I got mad at my hubby so I painted all evening... I should get mad more often :evil:

Nickel
10-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks you all for the b-day wishes, your all so kind! :)

Here for your viewing pleasure, my masterpiece.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2005/39040-wc1.jpg

Notice on the left hand side, do you see him?

It is a surreal alien laying lifeless, or is he lifeless;
:music: da dum,da dum, :music:
hopefully he will transform into a pocket watch covered in ants.

Hi ya Rose, You have some nice books!

Zoe, sounds like you found a neat book on Dali, it is good it had the picture of ďgirl in the window.Ē

Hi ya Bruce, how bout singing us a songÖ

Hi ya Terri, love the kitty! I promise, Iím busyÖa little anywaysÖ

Barb, thanks for the links on Dali!

It is a mystery why some museums donít proof read their web sites.

Nickel

rosebard
10-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Nickel you have a great start there. Wow. Keep up the good work. :)

bjs0704
10-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Terri - Go going with the painting! Thanks for keeping us moving!

Nickel - Youíve got a great start! I love how this underpainting looks!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

For years, I never knew that Daliís face was in this painting! But there it is! ďHeís melting--g-g-g-g!!!!!Ē :evil:

Keep up the good work! You always get me to smile! :)

DrawDweeb
10-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Just started "girl". First time painting on hardboard. INtresting feel! Have done a charcoal drawing and preliminary underpainting. Was not sure what to use instead of umber for a background that looked so "umberish". Am trying Payne's Gray with some Raw Sienna.

First time loading images here...hope they work!

--Dweeb-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2005/60507-DaliGirl_01_Drawing.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2005/60507-DaliGirl_02_Underpainting.jpg

Nickel
10-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Hi Barb and Rose, itís a start, haha, it really is an interesting painting trying to figure it out. Hey Barb, melting, reminds me of the wicked witch in the wizard of oz when she got the bucket of water thrown on her, your funny too!

Hi Dweeb, nice start to your painting, it will be interesting your comments on using the hardboard. What size is your painting? Interesting choice on using payneís gray & raw sienna for the background. I like how your painting is beginning!

Nickel

DrawDweeb
10-07-2005, 05:42 AM
Thanks, Nickel. Went with 18" x 24".

--Dweeb-

Pars
10-07-2005, 06:18 AM
Dweeb and Nickel, both of you are roaring ahead. Looking good. Like the colours you are using Dweeb.

I am going to do the girl smaller, not certain yet how small, but a practice piece with the possibility of something larger in the future. I've never worked large.

bjs0704
10-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi Everybody,

Iím sorry about running behind on my MOM. Last night I did a presentation on Old Masterís Painting Technique for my local art league. I told everybody about all of you and invited them to join in! Hereís a link to the announcement in the paper.

DrawDweeb - I love the way that hardboard feels to paint on! It is a matter of taste though! You are off to a great start! I love the clear colors.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Iím rechecking the sizes today, if I have the proper size canvas, I will use it. My canvases are sized in inches and I have the original size in metric so I need to do the conversion. Iím hoping that I can find my metric/inches yardstick.

Yippee!!! I hope that I can paint today! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pars
10-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Barb, you must be rushing, exhausted or .... ? - you didn't post the reference and I am always so curious!

Hope you are well! And I too may yet get to start to paint the girl.

bjs0704
10-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Here's it is! I am just about running in circles!!!! Thanks for letting me know! (Don't believe them about the pastel allergies! Newspaper people! hehe)

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/arti...neighbors01.txt

rosebard
10-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi There!! :wave: Finally a start!! :)

I have being trying to find a nice way to get into transfering my subject to the canvas correctly. This is the best way working for me lately. I print my subject on A4 size. Then I match the proportions of the canvas and crop as I need cutting the paper using diagonal method to find the larger version of my print. Then I use a transparente paper to outline everything that I find important. Then after I use this outlined drawing on A4 paper and grid it to as many squares that I need. I grid the canvas too to the same number of squares but bigger squares. I used willow charcoal to draw.

The canvas size is 40 cm X 60 cm (15,76'' X 23,63'' apro.) not so big.

Dweeb great start there. Glad to have you with us. :):clap:

Take easy dear Barb. We dont want you to be exausted. So the presentation was yesterday!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_50_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)

Keep the good work everyone!! :D

:wave:

TauCetiV
10-07-2005, 02:00 PM
You should put a picture demo up some where of your method! It sounds great but I dont understand all of it yet!

JoliePierre
10-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Hi everyone!

Hey, thanks for that grid info....I too have been trying to figure out the best way to transfer. I usually just draw on the same size paper as canvas, then transfer the pertinent stuff with graphite paper..it's fine for little paintings, but my larger canvases are calling!!!

Anyway, I am super new here, and to painting in general, so this is very exciting to have a challenge! Here is my first draft of "The Girl In The Window" The proportions are a little off, but thats why I do a first draft to get that worked out!! I'm not so good drawing yet! Also, it's not so slanted in real life, but my paper was turned when I took the picture.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/68886-IM003054.JPG

rosebard
10-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Jolie :wave: Good start in your drawing. I am not good either with drawing when it comes to a free hand. As I am devote completely to learn how to handle oils so I dont practice drawing as much as I would love too. But I practice when I get the chance to it, either sketching or finished drawings. Portraits mainly.

This is not a great demo. Sorry! Would be nice to show it from the start. But I took some pics just to show roughly what it is.

I usually have some diferrent canvas size in the studio to choose from as I never know what I am going to paint. But I have to find out which one to use, so I use this method to find out:
I print my subject on a A4 paper. I will cut the paper until I get it in proportion to my canvas. The first pic you will see me with a line across diagonally. I usually use two ruler to set that but I took a line to show you better. Once the corner of the paper match the corner of my canvas I know that my drawing will be the same size proportion just bigger. That is called Diagonal Line Method. I didnt invent it, I learned in my art course. :) That method is used to enlarge or shrink a drawing. I use to find the right canvas size to match my subject. :D

Instead of spending some hours erasing and drawing I just take a transparent paper, put on top of my print, and outline it. Then I take this outlined drawing and do a grid on it. I use as many squares I want. Then I do the same number of squares on canvas. Then Voila!!! Just have to transfer free hand using the grid system for it.

I am not a drawer. but I can draw if I put the time to it. But I am still a begginer, and too much to practice still to become real good at drawing and painting. I use this system lately because I want accurancy to be able to work on painting without worrying to be fixing things while I am painting. I have had bad experiences with that before. And I hate to fix things later in my work. So a good underdrawing gives me a good base to start.

Hope that explains it. :)

bjs0704
10-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Rose - Yes, the presentation was yesterday! It went really well! I told people about our MOM group and they liked the idea!

Thanks for showing how you did the drawing! Thatís a good method!

I do a similar grid sometimes. I divide the paintings into a 4 x 4 part grid. I get canvas of the same dimension and divide that into a 4 x 4 grid.

If I really need to change proportions, sometimes I use my Illustrator program to mask and reproportion the image on the canvas. Iím able to get a rectangle the same proportion of my final canvas and then adjust the photo to fit the canvas. I ďmaskĒ off these proportions and print it in my new proportions.

Deanna - You have a gorgeous drawing!:clap::clap::clap:

Rose - Thanks for the great demo! Iím sure many people will appreciate it!
:cool: :cool: :cool: Your off to a good start!:clap::clap::clap:

Ava G
10-07-2005, 05:35 PM
hi decided to post a mom for the first time, since itīs dali i have to give it a try....but a few steps backwards....
here i was and i had to scrape off and start again:evil: and this is where i am now:rolleyes:...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/60825-021005figwips_025.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/60825-021005figwips_015.jpg

those of you doing the girl, what does your pallette sound like....mine is totally unorganized as usual and now iīm gonna starft fresh and keep some track of it...

bjs0704
10-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks Ava, for the correct size for "Persistance".

Somebody ought to check me. Math was not my best subject in school. But the size in inches is 41 3/8 inches by 29 1/8Ē. It is a reasonably good size painting!

Because of the size, I have decided to go bigger than I originally planned I am using a 18' x 24" canvasboard and adding a bit to the sky.

I am settling down to draw. :clap:

rosebard
10-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks Barb. I hope it help some like me that have a hard time to get the drawing right on canvas. LOL

Good luck with your drawing Barb!!

Ava havent thought about color layer yet. I will work on drawing with color first, then my thought is to go for an ivory and white underpainting. But I will have a look tomorrow and then I call tell you.

What method are you guys going for? Are you working on underpainting or going directly into color?

Ava G
10-07-2005, 07:14 PM
i had another reference image to start with than the original and it was much more reddish (burnt sienna) so in a way it was good i had to start over....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2005/60825-11410-figurestandingatwindow.jpg

but i started out with lean color layers and built up until...:eek: i saw the water soluble colors i used for the underpainting a while ago must have been damaged or something really wrong with them cuz they were cracking...

so now with the original image ref iīm gonna do the underpaint in sort of monotone black/burnt umber/primary red mix....and build up in color from there

i love this painting and admire dalisī technical skills and iīm kinda stuck working on it and probably wonīt get anything else done until i finish or canīt go no further....
well enough bla bla...lok forward to see more ,,in progress" posts from you all...

DrawDweeb
10-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Very nice start, Jolie. I never have the patience to draw that much detail before starting to paint.

Bard, I need to try the grid sometime. Have seen it so much and have never done it. I think i definetly need to put on my list for a future picture. A near future on!.

--Dweeb

DrawDweeb
10-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Wow, Ava! you start looks more like what I hope to finigh with. Can't wait to see the final product.

--Dweeb-

DrawDweeb
10-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Nickel. I'm sorry I did not comment on your pic. Still relatively new at WC and can't seem to find a simple way to see messages I havne't read. Just seems to give me messages since I last logged on so if I miss a thread I miss messages.

The monochrome start is intresting. Are you going to piant over it fully or doing more glazing?

--Dweeb-

TauCetiV
10-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Rose Thank you so much -everyone thank you ! I am getting the transfer process with the grid that will definatelyhelp when I am making bigger paintings!

rosebard
10-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Terri it is nice to be able to share something useful after being here at WC and see all my improvement due to help of others. Glad to be able to help others.

bjs0704
10-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Iím going to try the grisaille underpainting (lead white and ivory black). Then, Iím going to add glazes on top of this underpainting!

Ava - I donít know if that photo is correct as far as the color is concerned, but it does look lovely and suits the subject.

Oh no, itís already cracking! :eek:

If you need any suggestions, donít be afraid to ask!

Good luck working on your project! :cool:

DrawDweeb -Check the preferences in your profile, thereís a checkbox for people who donít want WC to keep sending them messages. Maybe itís accidentally marked in your case.

I like using the grid method on paintings when the composition or proportions really have to be right. It does help you plan the placement.

Good to see you, Rose and Terri! :wave:

bjs0704
10-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I was wanting to ask all of you a favor. The person who was suppose to lead next month's MOM on Picasso is no longer at WC. If anyone would like to help guide the project by doing the project and encouraging others, it would really be appreciated.

Just give me a private message by clicking on my avatar and then click where it says"send a private message". Thanks so much!

TauCetiV
10-08-2005, 06:16 PM
lol thats a tall order! I am still lurking and enjoying everyone"s starts you all are so tallented!-- Just loveley!!!! I am about fin http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2005/44366-6gwqh5.jpg ished with 3 mixed media abstracts so get busy MUSH MUSH! MUSH! :D

JoliePierre
10-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi Everyone!!http://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/smileywave.gif I am having the worst time trying to post images today!! They upload fine, but won't attach to my post.....arrrggg...is it just me??

Anyway, I made a little progress! Last night I toned my canvas (board 18x24) with burnt sienna, then I transfered my sketch using the grid method as explained by Rose ~Thanks so much!! Although I omitted the part where you trace over the image. It was a big help, and my proportions are alot better than my rough draft drawing.

Then, this morning, I did my underpainting!! I had so much fun!! I used raw umber, flake white hue, and ivory black. I remember reading on here that Dali would not have used raw umber......oops...what can I say, I'm a beginner!!!

Anyway, I like it so far, but I still have a long way to go.......hopefully it will turn out Ok, 'cause I don't want to be the laughing stock of WetCanvas!!

I hope these links work...the image thingie magiger doesn't like me today!!

Bye all!http://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/smileywave.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2005/68886-
IM003057.JPG

IMG]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2005/68886-IM003063.JPG[/IMG]

JoliePierre
10-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Hmmm....lets try that again....

JoliePierre
10-08-2005, 08:52 PM
This one is closer up.....also, I just wanted to add that using the grid was interesting, because several of Dali's main straight lines coincided exactly with my grid lines....

JoliePierre
10-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Me again...are you sick of me yet??? I take that back...It was burnt umber....I don't have raw umber......gee, I think I got some paint fumes today or something!!!! I'll go away now.....:o

rosebard
10-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Jolie it looks wonderful already!! Way to go girl!!! Keep up the good work. :)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_68.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)

Terri tha is a cute dog in a very cute situation!! Thanks it made me smile. :)

Barb, good luck on your start. :wave:

bjs0704
10-08-2005, 10:16 PM
JoliePierre - Have you got your images within the size range? There are suppose to be within a 500 x 600 pixel range. I also like to use jpg.

If you are having trouble email the images to me. I can adjust them for you.

Lots of other good artists loved burnt umber! I think that it looks absolutely lovely!

I have found that grids can show you some very interesting things about compositions of master painters. I have often found interesting alignments in there compositions.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Rose! :wave:

IMNRTST
10-10-2005, 10:14 AM
HI, I haven't been here in a long time and i'm really glad to see that the Mom's are still up and running. Peeple have been doing great work so far! Once I seen that this month was a Dali, I had to give it a try.
Here's my somewhat low key grisaille underpainting, It's about 15" X 10 1/2" on a gessoed masonite panel.
Mike

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2005/39999-girl_at_window.jpg

Pars
10-10-2005, 10:25 AM
I just found a box of Dali cards I had hidden away (I am sorting through my life in anticipation of a major move). Several are "persistence of memory." If anyone wants one, I'd love to share them.

Send me a PM with your land-mail and it's yours.

Have a good day. I sure am trying to :D

TauCetiV
10-10-2005, 10:38 AM
keep going everyone! -- it all looks lovely! :clap: :clap: :clap:

JoliePierre
10-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Wow Mike...Great Job!!! Mine looks like a sloppy mess comapared to yours!!!

rosebard
10-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi Dali painters!!

Wow Mike it looks great!!

Thanks Terri. I am, I am. :)

vee_209
10-10-2005, 01:14 PM
I love your painting, Mike. Especially the waves of the sea! So detailed..

Can't wait to see the progression of everybody.

Vee

IMNRTST
10-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi Deanna, Rose, Vee..... Thx for your comments.
The monochrome underpainting was really fun to do, I'm looking forward to adding some color now. We'll see how it comes out.
see yas
Mike

DrawDweeb
10-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Jolie, reaaly like your outside. I did ok with the inside but the outseide looks a bit flat.

Mike, love what you did. If I ever managed to do that don't think I could put any more paint over it!

--Dweeb-

bjs0704
10-10-2005, 11:13 PM
I am still gridding and drawing. I hope to join you soon! :)

Mike - Your grisaille is absolutely fantastic! The highlights particularly are wonderful! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Zoe - What a neat thing to have found!:cool: :cool:

Terri - Itís good to see you! :wave:

DrawDweeb, Deanna and Rose - Keep up the good work! :angel:

Welcome Vee~ :wave:

bjs0704
10-11-2005, 01:46 PM
This is a quick note to those doing the MOM this month! I have moved this thread to the main oil forum so that more people will see it and join in!

At the end of the month, I'm moving the thread to the "Painting with the Masters" subforum where it will still be there if you want to post something.

I hope that I am not confusing anyone. I just want to make it easier for people to join in!

rosebard
10-11-2005, 01:58 PM
That is a great ideia Barb. Not confusing at all. Hope others take the challenge.

I am off to start my underpainting now. Wish me luck. :)

Rosic
10-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Great idea Barb! I think more people (myself included) will be more aware of the hard work going on here and even get involved. We can simply move it up on the 1st and replace it here with the new monthly MOM...

a tradition is started...:D

Bernie

Hey Rose!

rosebard
10-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Hi Bernie!! :)

Keith Russell
10-11-2005, 07:59 PM
If you think Salvador was a libertine, you need to check up on Gala's activities. Ms. Dali makes her husband appear absolutely ascetic, by comparison.

I've never been apalled or shocked by Dali, though. (My sense of morality is not burdened by puritanical notions of sex as 'evil' or 'dirty'.) As far as I know, Dali never harmed anyone but himself, which a free person has the right to do...

Keith.

Zoe in regard to the dinner party with Sonny and Cher it would be impossible to relate the details in a public forum. So, Iíll just say that Mr. S. D. seems to have been quite keen on certain group actives of an adult nature which Sonny and Cher emphatically found quite offensive. :eek: To their credit they quickly but graciously departed from Mr. S. D.ís dinner party and itís rather salacious and dubious idea of dinnertime entertainment. :clap: I was of course quite understandably shocked and appalled when I heard this story about the esteemed Mr. S. D., but itís not uncommon for people who have a lot of money and power to abuse the privileges life has placed in their hands. :evil: It seems all too common in these perilous times we live in. :(

JoliePierre
10-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Hi everyone!! http://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif Well, here is the lastest installment of Deanna does Dali...wait, er....that doesn't sound righthttp://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif ........Anyway, it's coming along a little. I'm sure learning alot! This will be my 4th painting although 2 of my others are not quite finished, so please keep that in mind!!! I'm teaching myself as I go! Still have a long way to go....it's harder than it looks! From the beginning....

Pars
10-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Barb, don't ya want one. I've only heard from Rose so she'll get more than one :D

Zoe - What a neat thing to have found!:cool: :cool:

Pars
10-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Everyone's work looks great. I'm going to try to work on mine Thursday. Thinking a blue/grey for the background and see many of you are doing b. sienna (or are my eyes deceiving me?)

rosebard
10-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Deena, it is coming along nicely. :clap: :clap: :clap: I am learning too, so dont worry. :)

Zoe, I will get more than one?? OOPs that is nice!! Thanks again. :D

IMNRTST
10-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi Deanna, it looks good....I love the color of your background...mine turned out a yellowish/green O.o

I completed my first color layer all around, hopefully one more will be enough to fix the yellow/green walls (yikes!) and the much too blue curtains (they looked more green IRL)

Also, to those that start these MOM threads, can I ask where you get the hi-res images of the paintings? I've been asked to try my hand at one of the religious works from page 1.....and would really love to get my hands on bigger jps

Mike

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2005/39999-girl_at_window2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2005/39999-girl_at_window_2.1.jpg

TauCetiV
10-12-2005, 11:58 AM
OMG every stage! you all are doing GREAT! I just can't believe how many wonderful painters are in here! :clap: :clap: :clap: now Mush! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2005/44366-giraffe.gif

rosebard
10-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Mike it is looks great. Wow! I agree Terri lots of great painters around!!

BTW, nice to see you Terri!!

TauCetiV
10-12-2005, 01:20 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2005/44366-z1lurking.gif

JoliePierre
10-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Hi Mike....I love yours!!!!! Your drawing is sooooo good! It looks so balanced and calm... mine is a little spazzy! I'm also considering re-naming mine to "Sistah's got a big 'ole butt" http://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif ...Thanks for the encouragement everyone...
Terri, I love the kittenhttp://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/cat0.gif !!! Anyway, here's my progress du jour....

rosebard
10-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Jolie so far so great!! You doing really well. I am still working on my grissaile. I am way behind. Dont think you guys going to ssee my finished version this month. :(

Anyway, I am using Bill's recipe as a medium for lean, medium, but I will have to stick to stand oil on my fat layer and maybe add some sicative. REading the Artists Manual, I understood that the use of Sun thickened oil instead of stand oil may be because it dryes faster. I dont have sun thickned oil. I started working on my underpainting. Hope I have it finished in one or two days. :)

JoliePierre
10-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi Rose! :wave: Thanks for the support!!! I was wondering myself about the difference between stand oil, linseed oil, refined linseed and sun-thickened linseed oil and what affect it has on the paint. I only have stand and refined right now. On this painting I just used OMS for my undermost layer, now I'm using Liquin, and who knows what I'll use after that....it's all just a big experiment for me ;)! What's sicative??

rosebard
10-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Hi Jolie, I have liquin too, and it is good to be used with OMS.

I was wondering myself about the difference between stand oil, linseed oil, refined linseed and sun-thickened linseed oil
All those are kind of linseed oil, that went through different process to bring it to a finished product and offcourse has different attribute and purpose. If you use in a medium recipe dammar varnish you wont be able to use OMS. You will need rectified turp, which is better than normal turp. The OMS wont dissolve the resin. Sicative is a product you use to add few drops to make the layer dry quicker. I have cobalt sicative.

I was just rereading for the thousand time Bill's article. I am happy to say that after almost an year at WC, I finally understand the concept of fat over lean, and actually know how to apply it to my work. Now just have to practice. :)

JoliePierre
10-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks for all the info Rose!! You're the best!! I'm glad I didn't try to use Bill's recipe with OMS.... I didn't know it won't disolve damar. I like your daily diary!! I was going to comment on it, but I'm not a Yahoo member....guess I'll have to sign up, huh? Great choice for Portrait...one of my favorites!!!

Well, I guess I better get back to work!! Happy Painting everyone!!:wave:

rosebard
10-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Deanna, I am glad to be able to help now somehow. Hey! I am not the best. But thank you are kind. You should see me few months ago. Isnt Barb, Bernie, Nickel?? I hear the Echo saying..... "Yeah, you arent. But you have improved. :)"

Stick around and you will learn more than you know as long you dedicate yourself to learn. Trust me I being there.

bjs0704
10-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Iím trying to catch up with all of you! :D

Keith - You might like reading Daliís book ď50 SecretsĒ!

Deanna - Your doing great! I love the warm coloring!

Zoe - Iíll be interested in seeing how a grey background works! From what I read in ď50 secretsĒ that may be what Dali used. Still, Iím just guessing.

Mike - The light in your painting is just wonderful! It reminds me of Sarasota, FL! Have you googled the ďSalvadore DaliĒ and then put the title of the painting in parenthesis. That should do it. . Actually, Artcyclopedia may be a good source for you.

Terri - Keep up the good work! You definitely help us stay at it!:evil:

Rose - Are you having trouble with the stand oil drying? I usually can paint by the next day. I paint thinly though! I usually use OMS for rinsing my brush, but for medium it is important to use real turpentine.

Billís article is really a gem! Do a search under mediums or go to the ďHall of FameĒ and you will find more good stuff!

freshcuppa
10-13-2005, 10:37 PM
hello :p

:eek: FANTASTIC everyone - can't wait to see them all at the end................

i think i would like to try this next month! woooo hoooooo......yehhhhhhhhhh

TERRI - your hilarious........................... :D

bjs0704
10-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Sheena -Would you like to join us? :evil:

rosebard
10-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Drying time is fine Barb. I have ate all that could be eaten on the search ever since I came to WC. LOL Dont believe there is anything else there. LOL Yep Bill's article is great. I have read it thousand times. I just was thinking about why the sunthickened on fat layer, and as I read Mayer it says that sunthickened linseed dries faster than stand oil. As I dont have sunthickned, that is why I thought I may would need to add sicative to compesate using stand instead. But I may pm Bill and ask, just to make sure. :)

Bill if you reading... THANKS AGAIN for the article!!

Hi freshcup!!! Hey not late to start.... I havent really started mine. So you still can catch up.

Nickel please that is that?? Yep looks like a duck or else. Dont know ... confused!! oH you doing the clock one. I see. LOL Keep up the good work!!!

Tripod
10-14-2005, 07:26 AM
I won't attempt a painting of MOM but can just say I have been somewhat converted to Dali's work in the past few days. I have been to Cadaques and Figueres, where his museum/theatre pull in huge crowds, therefore not the best place and also Gala's castle at Pubol which was magical.

Whilst his imagination just leaves one in awe and his way out paintings can leave me cold in many ways, his drawings and doodles are exquisite. Also his earlier less way out stuff is wonderful.

I'm all Dali'd out

IMNRTST
10-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Thx for your help Barb. I found me a version of the last supper that's 1000X649. Artcyclopedia is a great search engine btw.
Mike

bjs0704
10-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Nickel! It looks like I just might get a chance! It has been simply awful for me this month! And I really do like this project!

I should remind everybody, if you donít finish in time, it is perfect fine to work at your own pace and post your work when you finish! I love hearing how people do!

Rose - Iíve been using the stand oil in the same general recipe! (I donít remember why I did it that way!) With the fast drying mixture, itís fine! By the time, Iím using thick amounts of stand oil, Iím willing to wait! Stand oil is truly gorgeous. (I may be using it simply because I love the way that it looks!) A lot depends on your local climate! But Tallahasse was like a terrarium, hot and humid in the summer, and my fast drying medium was ok the next day or day and a half.

Hi Derek!! - It really nice to have you drop by! Both the museum and Gala's castle sound wonderful!

If you change your mind, please join us! We would love it!

Mike - Artcyclopedia is great! I also love Olgaís Gallery and Webmuseum of Art, but they tend to do better for older work! Artcyclopedia and Webmuseum have some really neat online ďart toursĒ. Iíve learned a lot that way!

I hope to be able to work on my painting later!

TauCetiV
10-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Just popping in! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2005/44366-061.gif
Is anyone doing the melting clocks painting or is the general population enthralled with this woman's back side ???? It looks like everyone is doing Wonderful!!!!!!! :D :clap: :wave:

rosebard
10-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi all Dali painters and admirers!!

I choose to do a grissaile on the girl and the interior of the room. But decided to use direct color into the scape scene she is looking. As soon my grissaile is done well enought to be glazed I will mostly use earth browns and payne grey. I used payne grey for the sky and sea. and the land is terre verte and payne grey too.
I want the lady to be in a kind of penumbra and make the scene outside more interesting. Her life doesnt seem very interesting in that room, that is why she is spending her all life there at that window. LOL

Well I was going to do exactly as the same at first. But then it just felt to do a bit of my own interpretation, and hubby suggested that about the scene. So I thought was good, it works with my ideia.

Anyway hope enjoying th trip through Dali we having here. :)

Terri good to have you here with us watching!!

I like the use of stand bettter than other mediums lately. I have liquin but it is the shelf now, havent being using it at all since start with stand and dammar.
Drying time seeing good. But I dont bother much as I always have other art things on the way. So I can wait. And I like to leave it drying well anyway. I dont hurry.

So far I am enjoying the Dali painting. Hope others are enjoying too!!

Keith Russell
10-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Keith - You might like reading Daliís book ď50 SecretsĒ!

I probably would; it's been on my 'list' for a while, but I've had some books I needed to pick up for class, first. I just bought, at my painting teacher's recmmendation, a book of Jeff Koons' paintings (reminds me a lot of Rosenquist, another favourite. And, I finally picked up Blue and Red Don't Make Green, too.)

I have Dali's autobiography, and The Shameful Life of Salvador Dali (a bio that came out about two years ago), as well as several other books on Dali's art (including the catalog from the Philadelphia show earlier this year--yeah, I attended that, too--awesome, and the excellent Taaschen retrospective.)

I also have the Dali Tarot deck..

Keith.

TauCetiV
10-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Wake up! wake up! get busy painting! :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2005/44366-bear.jpg
Hey Rose what did you make the grid with on your canvas?? :confused:

rosebard
10-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Hi Terri. I am wake!! But not busy painting. :( I used willow charcoal, the thin one.

JoliePierre
10-15-2005, 11:52 AM
ugh....somebody turn that penguin off....is it morning already??

Your painting looks so good Rose!!http://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif http://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif See, you are not too far behind!!http://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif Thanks for posting your photo!!! I love seeing the paintings emerge!

I agree that her life doesn't seem too interesting in that room, I've thought about it alot while I'm painting.....it's like she wants to join in life outside, but for whatever reason cannot, like fear, or maybe her brother is making her stay in so he can paint herhttp://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif , or maybe she was dipping into her brothers hallucinogens and was content to while the hours away at the windowhttp://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif . It does have a rather melancholy feel to it though....

Everyone seems to be using cool colors for their underpainting...I'm going with the thought that a warm base with cooler colors on top= more liveliness in the finished painting, but that's just my thought!!!

My camera is out of batteries, so I can't post pics til later today, which is a bummer because I started Bougeureaus "Portrait of a Young Girl" last night, and I wanted to photogragh the stages, but I'm too anxious, and I know I'll start painting this morning before I drag myself out to the store!!

Bye Everyonehttp://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/smileywave.gif Have fun...and remember...it's only paint!!!

PS Terri, I know you didn't ask me, but I used a graphite layout pencil to make my grid!!http://wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

TauCetiV
10-15-2005, 01:35 PM
lol as far as the grids are concerned I was just curious why you could still see them after the paintings had been started. Usually my drawings get mixed in with acrylic paint. We are not supposed to use graphite with acrylics because the migrate to the surface :eek: Did you all use a fixative as well ? :confused:

rosebard
10-15-2005, 01:41 PM
I did use fixative after the drawing was set. Or sometimes I will use a thin coat of gesso diluted. The reason you seeing it is because I work very very thinly. And besides using the thin medium. Would cover more if I was using just opaque layers and no medium. :) I sometimes use graphite but I do use a fixative or gesso to isolate it.

bjs0704
10-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi Everybody! Weíll Iím way behind! I did work on ďPersistanceĒ today. Iíve got it drawn out. Iíll begin the grisaille tomorrow. Iím using ivory black and lead white.

Terri - Nope, Iím doing the "melted watches" I think that Nickel is too!

Rose - Youíve got a lovely start! I love the curtains!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Terri - Iím awake!!!! Iím awake!!!!:eek: :D

When I use vine charcoal (I use a brass holder.), it disapears when I paint. Thatí s why I like using willow or vine charcoal. I never spray it. It wouldnít disapear then.

I donít know if vine charcoal would work as well with acrylics. Itís great for oils.

Deanna - Itís going to be interesting to see if the warm colors work better!

Iím looking forward to seeing your work! Hopefully, you can get some batteries!

Nickel - I did almost as well! I went shopping! And came home and drew!

Itís great to see that everyone is doing so well with their Daliís!
:clap: :clap:

bjs0704
10-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Ok, It's October 16th and I have finally have a bit of a start! :o :o :evil:

It has been a crazy month for me!

Rose - This is the way that I usually grid paintings. I divide each side into 4 sections. I always use vine charcoal, I never use any fixitive on the charcoal.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2005/11410-outline1.jpg

I hope that everybody else is working away! Good luck!

If anybody else wants to join in, we would love to see you! Don't even worry about finishing by the end of the month! We still cheer you on!

rosebard
10-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks Barb. The curtains look fun but lots of details on it. Need sharper eyes to do it well.

Good start on yours! I always love to see your MOM, you do it with such detail work.

Hi everyone else. Hope you all having fun painting your dali!

bjs0704
10-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Rose - The curtains are good for learning drapery! Itís always good to know how to paint really lovely drapery.

Thanks, I hope that I can get going on the grisaille! :cool:

DrawDweeb
10-17-2005, 06:01 AM
Very nice Jolie. I like the look of your wall. haven't posted anotehr version yet becuase my wall has come out way too dark and that's made it dead so am trying to correct. Your wall looks like it's slightly diffrenct color form the origianl but you caught the feel of it's being somewhat lively and haveing lots of diffrent shading for depth.

--Dweeb-

DrawDweeb
10-17-2005, 06:06 AM
Mike.Again "wow"! I like the way this is coming. I can see the green of the wall you talk about, but the curtains actually look like the color I'm seein on the referecne photo, just a little ligther. But may look diffrent in real life.

--Dweeb-

DrawDweeb
10-17-2005, 06:10 AM
Jolie, mine doesn't have a -huge- butt, but she has the legs to support a small building! It certainly is hard to get the girl right. Dali reaaly did draw here "big" and yet managed to make her overall effect so graceful and ligth. Hope I catch -something- of that.

--Dweeb-

DrawDweeb
10-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Nice start, Bard. You may start late, but you sure catch up fast!

--Dweeb-

TauCetiV
10-17-2005, 08:04 AM
Wooo! Hooo! Barb started !!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Thats a an easy way to grid! I am going to have to remember that! morning everyone! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2005/44366-23_11_61.gif

bjs0704
10-17-2005, 12:16 PM
DrawDweeb - Good luck with your painting! :) :)

Thanks about my painting! :cool: :cool:

Thanks Terri! I hope that I can catch up! I'll start on the grisaille today!

TauCetiV
10-17-2005, 01:10 PM
You will Barb! I was getting tired of all these perfect "girl in the window" paintings anyway :evil:
(okay now I am in trouble- Terri HIDES)

bjs0704
10-17-2005, 01:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2005/11410-hidesbehindsofa.gif

LOL!!!!

Anita Murphy
10-17-2005, 06:40 PM
This is so impressive! I might have to join in - either that or join Terri in lurkdom. How much time is left this month???????

rosebard
10-17-2005, 06:50 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_15.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS) Terri. You are so funny!!

Hi Anita!!! :wave:

IMNRTST
10-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi Barb, nice start.....looking forward to seeing yours come alive.

Hey Dweeb, thx for the compliment, I added a new layer of mostly raw sienna with a touch of ivory black to the walls so they're looking a lilttle less green (I hope)

I seem to be losing enthusiasm for my "girl in the window" painting. I can't seem to finish it! I must get her off my easel! lol

Perhaps there's still time to try the persistence of memory? O.o

Do I get double points for trying both? :p
Mike

TauCetiV
10-17-2005, 07:36 PM
I was getting tired of all these perfect "girl in the window" paintings anyway Mike I didnt mean It I didnt mean it! :o Keep going !!!!

IMNRTST
10-17-2005, 07:41 PM
lol Terri...too late! The painting went flying out the window lol.....j/k
I must finish it! I'm on a mission!
Mike

bjs0704
10-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Hi Anita - Thatís for stopping in! :wave:

I donít think that ďPersistanceĒ is all that bad!

We have till the end of the month, but if you arenít done, go ahead and post until you are done. Lots of time people are still stopping by! I'm certainly going to keep on dropping in!

Thanks, Mike! :)

Are you going to try ďPersistanceĒ? Dali said that it didnít take him long to paint it in the first place. Whichever or both that you want to do!
:cool: :cool:

bjs0704
10-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Aren't ants, insects, so they have 6 legs?

Good luck, Nickel! I'll see if I can make a close up of that watch for you!

rosebard
10-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Hi All! Havent touched mine since last time. Just stopping by to see how you all going. Nickel and Barb hope you doing well at Persistence. Looking forward for an update.

I am waiting for the girls in window to come back too. :) including mine. Big grin!!

TauCetiV
10-19-2005, 10:05 AM
rose cool blog! I like that you have it in two languages! Did you paint the vermeer or is that the real one? :confused:

rosebard
10-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Terri are you kidding?? My copy cant be that good. :) Thanks. Yeah I painted that, it is a crop actually. :) You made my day. :)

TauCetiV
10-19-2005, 11:55 AM
LOL I think it is very pretty then :) With me you would have to put the original and the copy together for me to tell any difference. And then if the two are real close it would dfinately be a toss up! You do portraits very well! :clap:

TauCetiV
10-19-2005, 11:55 AM
oops :rolleyes:

Pars
10-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Wish I had a good reference pic, I know the pocketwatch has ants on it, but for the life of me can't make them out so just fudging some.

So how many legs does an ant have? :eek:

Hi Nickel,

an ant has 6 legs; check this out here (http://www.lessonplanspage.com/ScienceAllAboutAnts12.htm)

I took a quick peek at the postcards I have and one of the clocks has a very visible "fly" while those ants are just strutting around in numbers. :evil:

Nickel
10-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks Barb and Zoe for the info. I guess I haven't been into looking too close at ants, nor flys. ICK! But it is Dali's dream world of static time.

So is everyone, Zoe? painting?

Pick up that brush and dip it in pigment & oil and slap happy away!!!!!! :)

Hey Terri and other Lurkers!

bjs0704
10-20-2005, 09:13 PM
I am hoping to get a chance to get back at it, Rose! :)

Iím getting caught up with things here at home. :confused: :p

Terri - I bet Rose loved hearing you ask, if her Vermeer copy was the actual Vermeer! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Your the best, Terri

Zoe - Iíll have to look for the fly! :cool:

I need to paint the big stuff first though! Then, the fly and the ants! :D

Nickel - I hope that your painting is going well! :angel:

TauCetiV
10-20-2005, 10:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2005/44366-cheerleader2.gif and we are painting people and painting !LOL I have NOT seen any updates here! Barb thats funny cause I really was not sure LOL!

EDGARB
10-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Because of a family emergency I haven't been able to paint for about 4 months. I have looked in on the last few MOM's and enjoyed them as usual. I had really wanted to do van gogh bitmaybe later.

I did persistence of memory about 11 months ago (before I knew ther was a MOM. I made a few changes and itis now the persistence of viagra

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2005/30112-persistenceofviagra.jpg

TauCetiV
10-21-2005, 10:44 AM
I get it! :clap: :clap: LOL!

Pars
10-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Sad to say I have not put brush to paint, paint to canvas yet but Nickel and all: it will come!

Struggling with some major life changes so I have been juggling as much as possible and painting seems to get pushed down :(

rosebard
10-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Terri - I bet Rose loved hearing you ask, if her Vermeer copy was the actual Vermeer! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Your the best, Terri
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS) You bet I did. Totally agree with the statemente about Terry.

Rocky lovely work on Persistance of Time. :clap: :clap:

I have NOT seen any updates here

I better get painting!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_13_12v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)

Hey Pars sorry to hear you have being unable to paint. But we are really patiently waiting to see yours. Hope things get settle soon. Barb you too. :)

Nickel, Mike, Dweeb, Deana! Hope you all doing great! :) :) :)

TauCetiV
10-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Roe you are the sweetest person on here I think! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2005/44366-bighug.gif

rosebard
10-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi all Dali painters and admirers!:wave:

I am starving but couldnt go to eat without posting mine. What work this Dali is giving me. Small painting lots of little details here and there. :rolleyes:

Ok, finally my update. My underpainting is over. My landscape is almost done too. Any thoughts about it?? Please share. :D

IMNRTST
10-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Rose.... Looks great!
....your top curtains look absolutely surreal =).....love your edge control all around, nice and soft......and I like the movement in your water...looks like the wind is picking up.
Keep going! :clap:
Mike

Val Simmonds
10-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Wow! I have just joined WC and can't believe what I have missed all these years.
Is it too late to join the October class? Thank you for all the info on Dali.
I'll follow the remainder of the class.
Cheers,
Val

IMNRTST
10-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Hiya Val...welcome to WC!
join us for a Dali!.....tons of time left :)
Mike

rosebard
10-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Ty Mike. I wasnt sure I was doing it right. Hubby is my personal art critiquer and he said yes, but.... I was still unsure. Thanks for the feedback.
I read about a combo of Ivory black and red oxide transparent to get a rich dark brown. Though I havent tried to mix it yet to see what my pigments will give me when mixed. But I will. This is my first choice so far of color for the wall. And I used Paynes Grey to the water and sky, and it is semi-transparent paint. So I think of using it to glaze the girls dress and the curtains.
Ivory Black
Flake white
Terre verte
Paynes grey
Red Oxide transparent
Soft mix white I used for the sky and sea instead of flake.

The medium was for the underpainting: 1 part of stand oil, 1 part of dammar varnish and 5 parts of rectified turpentine.

Ok ready to start color glazing and still go refining the scape outside the window. :)

HI VAL!! WELCOME!! GREAT TO SEE YOU HERE! PLEASE DO JOIN IN! EVEN IF WE FINISH WE WILL STILL COME BACK AND WATCH OVER YOUR SHOULDER.

Pars
10-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Rose, it looks great. Now I am wondering as you've done the underpainting in paine's why you are switching to the brown family. I'm wondering because in the Dali book I have here it looks as if his colours are more in the paine's grey/blue family.

How does it look to you? And boy did you get this one perfect!

rosebard
10-21-2005, 09:42 PM
ok Pars let me see if I understood. :)

I used Paynes grey only in the sky and the sea, and it is sort of direct into color.
I used ivory and flake white for the rest of the painting. I kind of look at it as the inside of the room and outside of the room. So outside Paynes grey, soft mix white and terre verte for the landscape. For the inside I used Ivory black and flake white.

Why did I choose a dark brown? Because I see some sort of brown on the wall and her legs. And on the window I kind of see some touch of turquoise blue. But the rest all is Paynes grey. What is the color of the wall and her leg on the book? I have only the computer pic so it is kind of dark too. I just tried photoshop and the drop tool, :( but no like I see red, purple, orange, blue hue. Eek. Cant find an answer. Anyway, what do you think of a dark rich brown on the wall?

Pars
10-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Hello again Rose,

I think using brown will be excellent.

It appears to me as I look closely at many of Dali's work that he blends his colours possibly directly on the canvas.

I will describe how it looks to me (in the book); this is not one of the paintings I've actually seen IRL. The curtain, window, drapery, girl and sceen out of the window are all different shades of blue with white trim and backdrop.

The wall is nearly grey from the ceiling down until just below the sister's blouse and the edge of the window: then it darks and begins to turn brownish, ochre at the base around her legs, and then yellow ochre, perhaps some green, red and more grey in the floor slats.

I'm not at all certain this is a good reproduction but I suspect it is as it is published by Harry N. Abrams, a very good art publisher.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2005/35482-1925_02.jpg

In the image above from the Dali gallery, the colour is lost in the lower portion of the painting where the dirty greys became various shades of brown and the entire floor is missing.

Also the view from the window is much lighter in the reproduction in the book - much more flake than blue at all.

I am going to try (try with a capital T) to see if I can get some of these variations in watercolour; then oil.

I love your version, Rose. Hope I can do nearly as well.

rosebard
10-22-2005, 09:10 AM
This is a research Jodi did for me. She has seeing Dali's in person. So that helps me as I havent. And I could make anything of my Dali. LOL Thanks Jodi for the help. :D

Pars I was puzzled by the infos and the photo reference. So I asked Jodi if she knew about Dali's palette and what she thought about the rich dark brown. So here is what Jodi got for me this am.

Because DalŪ was so critical of his instructors and encouraged dissent amongst the student population, he was suspended from the Academy the following year and permanently expelled in 1926, the same year that Figure in a Window is first shown in Madrid at an exhibition of Catalan Modern art. The painting features the figure of a girl with her back to the viewer, modeled by DalŪís sister Ana MarŪa. Ana MarŪa frequently posed for her brotherís drawings and paintings during the familyís summers at Cadaquťs: ďDuring hours I served him as model, I never tired of looking at the landscape which already, andforever, formed part of me. He always painted me near a window. And my eyes had time to take in all the smallest details.Ē Though Figure in a Window appears traditional in many ways, its limited palette of colors and the simplified curvilinear forms of the girl reflect some currents of Modern art in the 1920s. Dali's work is distinguished by precise and finely executed draughtsmanship of almost photographic exactitude. Paint is applied smoothly and evenly in a varied and generally muted palette that occasionally breaks out into glaring color. His subject matter is that of the Freudian dream world and of metamorphosis of objects, people, and animals, arranged in unexpected and often inexplicable combinations.
Salvador Dali is famous for painting wierd things, enigmas, and unsettled images. In fact, his unsettling double-images Ė a face that is simultaneously becoming a fruit dish, an elephant that doubles a a swan, etc. are similar to the gambits of Jasper Johns' minus the dimension of pitting the verbal against the visual. Dali's fame for provocative imagery has eclipsed consideration of him as a colorist, yet his crepuscular palette of saturated oranges and blues have a good deal to do with the mysterious feelings his paintings evoke. Dali's impressive technique is, more than anything else, an application of traditional academic methods available at the time of his education in the Art academies of Europe, including the Academy of Madrid in which Dali was, for a time, a student. In the late 1940's Dali authored a book on technique called "Fifty Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship" in which, in typical self-aggrandizing way, he pontificated on the way a painting is to be done. He suggests, with a sense of humor that seems to have been missed by many, that his idiosyncratic overlay on academic education is de riguer Ė the necessary procedure to make a painting. In this book he discusses the colors of the palette from an anthrpomorphic point of view.
For Dali color becomes a social order. Colors can behave courteously or discourteously, they can have good or bad character, they can even go to war - and when they do, some colors are generals and others are privates. This application of human characteristics to pigments is not unlike Leonardo's style of argument, often a parody of they humanistic false reasoning of his day. Dali's anthropomorphism of color is simultaneously phenomenology, runaway surrealim and mimetic tool. Further, there is wisdom in this, because color, in the context of painting, is a relational matter, as Bauhaus color expert Josef Albers persuasively insists.

Jody got my photo of the grisaille and colorized it using three glazes.

first is veridian mixed with ultramarine blue, then lemon in highlights, then a burnt orange.over top, in varying degrees to get the mottled appearance of the wall and floor. I would not stray too far from this palette, if you want to come as close as possible to the original. that is the lemon over the ultra and veridian, the orange neutralizes it that is what you see as a more "brownish pink "tone. The anthropomorphismthat, is why you are confused as to his palette, it means the color of the twilight sky think of the sky just before the sun goes downcool blues and greens and touches of burnt oranges and pinks those were dali's favorite palette colorsthe orange over the blue green gives it that effect. Adding brown will muddy your palette even the arms and legs had no browns. The orange and blue together gives the appearance of a warm color similar to a brownbut no mudand he uses the clearest colors I have seen. The colors are clean but soft. In this piece
you could use the same palette to get a very garish painting too, garish bright and the colors screens at you. It is a cool palette with the clear but burnt oranges and the pinks.

I hope this info helps. Does anyone have further info regarding his palette?
What are you guys using for the color layers?

jo_b
10-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Hi Rose and all that are doing the Dali's,
just a little more FYI:

crepuscular palette of saturated oranges and blues have a good deal to do with the mysterious feelings his paintings evoke. The word crepuscular means the colros that are seen at twilight. And anthromorphic means: suggesting human characteristics for animals or inanimate things. Just in case someone was not sure :D

Good luck with your Dali's

Jodi

Pars
10-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Rose, I apologize if you misunderstood me. I was and am not criticizing the colours. Just commenting on what I see here in the book.

I am sure Jodi knows much more than I do. I have seen many of Dali's work but not this one. I am sorry if I lead you to believe I was being critical of the brown. I was merely trying to understand what we all "see" and "saw."

Thanks for sharing Jodi's information.

As I am not ready to participate fully this month, I think I'll move into lurkdom.

I'll enjoy everyone's work from the balcony! :wave:

jo_b
10-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Oh My Zoe- I do hope I did not discourage you from participating :( I certainly did not intend in any fashion to offend you or the information you have given. I was just asked by Rose if I knew about Dali and his palette. My intent was only to inform her as best as I could, since she knew that I have been exposed to fine art, in all genre's, throughout my life and had experienced many a great work personally, nothing more.

Please stay and participate ( not just lurk) at the very least in the conversations! :o

Jodi

Pars
10-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Jodi, I wish you had shared your info with all of us directly. Apparently Rose misunderstood that I was having a discussion and not being critical of her colour choices. Although you may have been exposed to fine art all your fine -- so have I. However, I am not a painter. I have collected art, sold art, and admired art all my life. Dali was among the first painters I took an interest in. In fact, I've owned a gallery and sold many beautiful pieces of 19th century American art.

You did not in any way offend me. But the general implication is that conversations here are often not open and therefore subject to misunderstandings.

As I am not going to have time to do this piece this month, my lurking is my choice and that your doing.

In peace.

Oh My Zoe- I do hope I did not discourage you from participating :( I certainly did not intend in any fashion to offend you or the information you have given. I was just asked by Rose if I knew about Dali and his palette. My intent was only to inform her as best as I could, since she knew that I have been exposed to fine art, in all genre's, throughout my life and had experienced many a great work personally, nothing more.

Please stay and participate ( not just lurk) at the very least in the conversations! :o

Jodi

Tripod
10-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Rose Bard, I can help you a great deal with Dali's palette. here is a picture of it in the corner he painted in Gala's castle at Pubol. Hope this helps

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2005/62415-DaliStudio.jpg

rosebard
10-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Pars I am very sorry. I didnt take your comment that way at all. I usually ask tons of questions to jodi almost everyday. So this was just one more question among the others I have done. And I dont take her answer as I mean to validate anything. She just tries to help go into sources that I usually dont have, or lets say I take a cut when she answers questions or help me to find the info. That is all.

I really get upset when this kind of thing happens. Please do not take personally. I just wanted to learn more about Dali. That is why after asking Jodi if I could share the info she gave me, I asked if anyone had anything to add about his palette.

I was merely trying to understand what we all "see" and "saw."

yep and I thank you for sharing about what you could see in the book regarding this painting. But I wasnt sure if I should use the combo I was thinking of. It could break the harmony of the painting if I did, and thought that a bit of knowledge first would be good to help me decide what color to use there. :)

Derek, nice! Thanks for sharing the photo. Please do tell how do you find his palette. From what you know, or may have seem what would the wall in the girl in the window would be? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Please, I would like to apologize to Pars in first place and any other members that may be upset because of this incident. I am really sorry about it. :(

Tripod
10-22-2005, 11:24 AM
It was joke Rose, his palette is in the picture. That's all I can tell you.

Pars
10-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Rose, no need to apologize to my apology :D

I understand that you are trying earnestly to learn and Jodi has been so helpful.

I may go deeper into his early palette when I have resolved the issues on my plate that are unrelated to art. I believe the catalogue of an early show of his at the Huntington Hartford Museum is still around and included some of his palette choices.

You are doing a wonderful job with the painting and if I manage to get something done I'll share it later on.

Have a good day (it is dreary and miserable here in NYC) :wave:

rosebard
10-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks Pars. I appreciate the help. :) :)

guillot
10-23-2005, 04:48 AM
Barb= what a great thread. Just realized the other night I was missing out on this one. Great write-up with wonderful info and everyone is doing so great on their studies.

Here's my input. just an ivory black underpainting, wiping out and stuff along the way. I can NOT paint effectively below a 16x20, so I'm painting this one as such. Being able to pull off such an impact at a 9 x 10 for this painting astounds me. I'm comfortable painting larger.

So, here is my beginning, and I'm so glad you guys have moved it back tothe original idea - to post these in the main forum, and then move them over. Hopefully this will help increase participation in these activities.

Ciao,
Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2005/5957-Dali2a.jpg

rosebard
10-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi Tina, nice to see you doing Dali. :)

Nice start!!

How is everybody else doing? :)

IMNRTST
10-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Hey Tina, I like your grisaille underpainting, must be fun to paint this one at 16X20 as well.

My Dali is starting to collect dust :confused: lol
Mike

rosebard
10-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Nickel, nice sense of movement of the clocks. Wow. Lovely version. :)

guillot
10-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks Rose! This is one I didn't want to miss out on. I almost let it totally slip by me!

Thanks Mike. I have quite a few collecting dust :D It happens ! There's just no way I would've had the patience to do a 9 x 10. I remember the Raphael (three graces) about drove me nuts. Your's is remarkable so far !!

Nickel - fabulous !! :clap:

Tina

IMNRTST
10-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Nice job Nickel! :clap:

Mike

TauCetiV
10-24-2005, 03:03 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2005/44366-boo.gif Terri emerges from her hurricane hiding hole unscathed and is now cold because its a cold 68 here in Orlando instead of the norma 80s! I have lots of tree branches to burn in the fire place tonight hehehe. Looks like veryone is carrying on!! SUPERB!!!! :clap:

bjs0704
10-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Rocky - That a fun rendition of Daliís painting! Thanks for letting us see it!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Zoe - Iím sorry to hear about what is happening!

Donít forget many of the commericial Payneís Greys are ultramarine and black. If Dali didnít use Payneís Gray, he may have mixed his own.

Rose - Your underpainting is lovely! :cool: :cool:

I didnít find a palette in 50 Secrets. He does list colors that he feels are good to use.

Jodi - Interesting notes on Dali! :cool: :cool:

Val - Welcome to WetCanvas!:wave:

As I remember, there were browns that Dali would use, but he didnít like any of the umbers.

Derek- Itís good to see you! That a great photo!:wave:

Tina - Nice start! :cool: :cool:

Nickel - WOW!!!! Good job! Your Dali is really love. Your color in the landscape is wonderful!

Terri - Iím glad to hear that you are fine! :cool:

bjs0704
10-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks, Nickel!

I'm doing it 16" x 20" now! :D

It sounds like a great article!

rosebard
10-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Hi Dali painters and Admirers!!

Ooops Nickel, no beef!! I plan to start the glazing tomorrow. Lets see.

Hi Terri, glad you are fine.

Zoe, big thanks!! Dali cards arrived. :) :) :) Very nice, I loved them.

Where is everybody else???

guillot
10-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Dali said, " The difference between a madman and me, is that I am not mad."

:D

The difference between a madman and me, is that I'm a woman :D :D LOL However, I think that makes me "mad" anyway. I remember in Abnormal Psychology we were talking about Freud ( I believe it was Freud) and the diagnosis behind "hysteria" in women.. Diagnosis being that it is due to a "wandering vagina" :p I think it's great therapy in considering the things that we do understand, and the things that we don't! I remember asking "is he referring to prostitutes, or did he actually believe the vagina had a mind of it's own? " ... LOL - what a hoot. Of course, Freud is a whole discussion of it's own, - but I find it fascinating when a painter is able to put a little bit of that into some kind of a result - That is why I have much admiration for Dali.

Great quote that is Nickel and I do bet the book is wonderful. It's easy to get fascinated with Dali, and the perceptions in his paintings.

I will be completing mine this weekend.

Barb - it will be fabulous in a 16 x 20 !!

Hi Rose :wave:

Tina

TauCetiV
10-26-2005, 11:06 PM
OK am I going to have to get out my can of woop a-- to get you guys painting??? :evil: There are 5 more days left in this month! come on I wanna see some gorgeous paintings! hup to hup to! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2005/44366-crack_whip.gif

TauCetiV
10-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Nickel who did your pictures ? I can tell the painting is good though :)

TauCetiV
10-27-2005, 11:13 AM
I have a tripod but the stupid thing is broken :mad:

bjs0704
10-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Tina - Thanks for the info on Freud! Thatís really interesting! The things people have thought! :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :D :D

Oh, no!!! Terri!!!! :eek: :eek:

Nickel - Those are great pictures! Thanks for letting us see the details! :cool:

LOL!!! Duct tape, coat hangers, chewing gum, glue stick...... My toolset is already! :evil:

DrawDweeb
10-28-2005, 07:08 AM
Hi All,

Just wanted to touch base quickly. Have not been able to check in due to effects of Hurracane Wilma. No real damage to body or house, but no power and so no Internet access. Was reaaly missing the group so finally came in early to work to take some time and look at the posts. Love all the activity goign on and the paintings look great. Hope to continue on mine soon!

--Dweeb-

rosebard
10-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Hi Dweeb, I am sorry to hear that you were in the path of Wilma. Glad to know you and family are alright. Looking forward to see your painting. :) :) :)

bjs0704
10-28-2005, 04:34 PM
DrawDweeb -Iím sorry to hear that you were affected by Wilma. Itís good to know that you and your family is ok! Iím sorry to hear that youíve not had power. Iím glad to see that you are back online!

rosebard
10-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi Everybody! Dali update here. First color layer. :)

How is everybody going with your Dali painting? I guess we going to have to see each other more through November too. :) Keep up the good work everyone!

Hey Zoe!! There is still time for you to try it out with watercolor... Come on and play!

TauCetiV
10-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Ahhhh I love that blue green color at the bottom of the left side of the drapes
This is great Rose ! What do you have to do next ? :)

rosebard
10-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Hi Terri missed you around. :) I will glaze a bt orange next glazing layer to give an optical ilusion of a greyed blue. Still need to refine the view outside the window. Add details and lights.

Hope everyone is doing well. :)

IMNRTST
10-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Happy Hallow's Eve everyone! :evil:

Here's my completed Dali (I think), 15"X10.5" oil on masonite panel.
Was a really fun project to try, hope to see more of Dali's works in the future.

See you all next month?

Mike

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2005/39999-girl_at_window_3.jpg

TauCetiV
10-31-2005, 11:40 AM
ah! this is lovely :clap: I like how she is half in half out of the window so to speak... nice depth!

rosebard
10-31-2005, 11:42 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_75.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS) Mike! It looks beautifull. The colors are gorgeous.

nickel in progress
10-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Well I'm a day late and a dollar short, but here's what I have done so far! (and I just noticed I have my house in the wrong window pane as well :( ... but its still a work in MUCH progress ha!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2005/68623-painting_1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2005/68623-painting_2.jpg

Did I mention that this is the first painting I've EVER done? :eek:

TauCetiV
10-31-2005, 03:49 PM
nickel Wow if this is your first painting then you have some natural talent!
If you find your self having any trouble -- you might wnat to set up a grid-- that seems to be what a lot of people are doing here and it makes things easier :D check back a few pages they were explaining it to me :) Keep going!

rosebard
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi Nickel inprogress!! You found the right place for your Dali. Great.
I am following your progress. I am sure others will do to. If you have any question just ask. Someone will come to help for sure.

Nice to see you giving Dali a go. :) Good Luck!!

nickel in progress
10-31-2005, 04:06 PM
TauCetiV, thank you!!!! It runs in the family!!:D Although most of the time I'm a bit "art challenged" haha! Maybe I'm just a late bloomer! :cat:

Nickel
10-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Cool :wave: I like how you've started your painting! I'll be watching ;) Well I'm a day late and a dollar short, but here's what I have done so far! (and I just noticed I have my house in the wrong window pane as well :( ... but its still a work in MUCH progress ha!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2005/68623-painting_1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2005/68623-painting_2.jpg

Did I mention that this is the first painting I've EVER done? :eek:

Did you know your pretty good? :)

DrawDweeb
10-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Mike, you painting looks awesome!

Nickle, I agree very much with the comments. If this is your first picture you should defineltly keep at it. She has weight, she has motion!

Things are more back to normal so will be posting progress in next day or two, but defienetly will be here in November with any others!

--Dweeb-

bjs0704
11-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Rose - Your Dali is looking good. It looks like your own color interpretation of Dali! Keep up the good work!:cool: :cool:

Mike - You really did a great job! Congratulations!:clap: :clap: :clap:

nickel in progress - You are off to a great start!:cool: :cool:

Donít worry about the start of a new month! I havenít finished my Dali, so Iím going to be checking in periodically. So just keep up the good work!

Dweeb - I hope that you post an update! Iím looking forward to seeing it!:cool:

IMNRTST
11-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Terri, Rose, Nickel, Dweeb, Barb........ty all for the wonderful comments, it's very encouraging. :)

Mike

Ava G
11-02-2005, 04:37 AM
hi all, had to post though 2 days late....

but wow thereīs so much iīve missed last two weeks iīve been out of the world (not connected:evil: and therefore completely out in every way)

your daliīs are all good and some are great....

but this is where i am dali-ing now, havenīt had time to work on it for over a week but finally did some more last night...lots of detail left and most of the girl....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2005/60825-tinna_005_edited.jpg but iīm totally enjoying painting this piece though sometimes quite frustrated finding the right color mix...gonna finish it today/tomorrow....

my painting is 75 x 105 and iīm using the ref image from the Madrid museum that holds the original....

i did my underpainting in burnt umber, lamp black and primary red....
and for the painting i used ultramarine dark, cerulean blue, cobalt blue, paynes grey, ( little of those three->sap green, primary red, yellow ochre), burnt umber, and white.....

TauCetiV
11-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Hi Ava you have achieved a nice textured feeling I especially like her dress:) :clap:

bjs0704
11-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Ava G - You've really done a beautiful job! It's very striking! The lighting in your painting is lovely! :clap: :clap: :clap:

rosebard
11-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Another glaze on the wall done with yellow and red medium cadmio with a touch of red oxide transp. It is still looking bt orange in some parts. I will glaze another layer of ultra/viridian to grey it. The shoes are still too bright. I will tone it down with paynes grey.

My view outside the window looks like a cloud day. I want to add more life and light to it. I guess I am still playing with the dark room ideia. :)

bjs0704
11-03-2005, 06:35 PM
It's looking really good, Rose! It's got a nice mood to it!

DrawDweeb
11-04-2005, 05:44 AM
Rose,

You gave me an idea. I've had a problem with the wall looking too dead. It's all on color and I see the original has a lot of nice changes form spot to spot. Had been trying lighter and darker, but don't know why I didn't think of adding bitt of diffrent color.

Thanks!...--Dweeb-

Another glaze on the wall done with yellow and red medium cadmio with a touch of red oxide transp. It is still looking bt orange in some parts. I will glaze another layer of ultra/viridian to grey it. The shoes are still too bright. I will tone it down with paynes grey.

My view outside the window looks like a cloud day. I want to add more life and light to it. I guess I am still playing with the dark room ideia. :)

TauCetiV
11-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Rose I love that green gold and brown on the wall on the right side :) :clap:

nickel in progress
11-04-2005, 11:29 AM
My progess is coming along slowly... haha it's taken me a month to get as far as I am right now.. but I did start to paint the curtains and the window seal the other day... as soon as I get my batteries back(there is a little fellow who likes to steal the batteries from my camera) I will post my progress... I'll be working on it this weekend hopefully I will have some major progress to report by next week!

guillot
11-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Mike, Rose, Nickel, AvaG, EdgarB and everyone I may have missed - wonderful paintings, all of them !!!

I'm hoping to complete mine today. My parents were in town all week and they just left to go home early this morning. Haven't had a single second to paint for a week ! Didn't get to finish the (my second) Borgie for my mother either - well, maybe that one will at least be completed by Christmas. :)

I'm looking forward to picking up my brushes - so I'm going to go get started.

Thanks,
Tina

guillot
11-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Well Darn - who would've guessed that something that appears to be simple could be so difficult - even when enlarged!! I had to go back and review the painting again - as most seem to have a bluish-greenish tint to it. I knew by size alone originally at a 9 x 10 would be impossible for me. Heck, even the 16 x 20 is giving me fits. Anyway, here's my progress. I'm so behind the power curve around here with my painting - it's embarrassing. It's amazing that even when you get to the point where finding time to paint is difficult, when you thought you were at least doing a little OK at some point or another - impacts your painting in such a short time.

So, here's my progress and I'm still not finished with it !

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Nov-2005/5957-Progress1a.jpg

TauCetiV
11-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Tina it is very good :clap: and you are not finished ????

guillot
11-07-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi Terri , Thanks, no not finished yet. Her hair, dress, and shoes are not finished, the sailboat is missing in action, the water is not complete and the curtains need more work :) Thanks for looking in on me.
Tina

bjs0704
11-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Nickel in progress - Don't worry if it is time for you to finish. Things have been crazy for me lately and I am working unbelievably slow. I will be checking back to see how your doing, so donít feel like everyone has passed by. :)

DrawDweeb - You make a good point! I was noticing Daliís wonderful use of gradients while I was working on ďPersistanceĒ. He probably does vary the color with a gradient too. :cool: :cool:

Good luck with your painting, Tina! Itís good to see that you are hanging in there! :)

Iím working on the same size painting as you are. But I am doing ďPersistanceĒ.

Sometimes, I wonder about the brush choices that Dali made so that he could work so small.

Your work is looking lovely! I love your colors!:clap: :clap: :clap:

It looks done. Thanks for telling us what you are adding. Donít worry about how quickly your working just hang in there! :)

guillot
11-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Hi Barb - thanks for the comments. I guess you have to look closely to see what's not finished. Her head is still in grisaille and most of her dress :D It does make you wonder about his choices of brushes!! Had to take a lot of concentration on some of those tiny strokes and a very steady hand. Of course, me, I keep wanting to grab size 8 and up :eek: Thanks for the confidence push and for looking in on me.
Tina

Grunge
11-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi Barb! Ah the coincidences of life never cease to astound me...

I started a surreal painting about a week ago...got my background done and a couple of days ago I started the figure. After that evening's painting I was quite disgusted and feeling like a failure. I felt that my figure didn't match the technique and colours of the rest of the composition. so, yesterday I decided to browse Dali and see how he handled flesh, knowing he used vibrant colorus. I found a wonderful site that contains an extremely large gallery of his works. I painted...

So today I check email...notice someone posting in September "what's on your easel", which I subscribed to... noticed you are from the Chicago area...realized I was in "Painting from the Masters", which I didn't realize existed....and then found this thread. Maybe a day late and a dollar short (I should be making this long story short...) but I just wanted to give a hardy
"THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!" All this information on Dali is wonderful!!

bjs0704
11-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Tina - Dali was really great when it came to depicting light! I love his gradations! Your really doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

Grunge - That is a great story! As I just told Tina, Dali is so good with the way that he paints gradations and shows light, these MOMís teach a lot of lessons!

Thanks, Iím glad that you enjoyed the information on Dali! (Who knows, maybe you can give one of these Dalis a try. More than one of us are still kind of around!

Thanks for stopping in!

DrawDweeb
11-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Tina,

Agree with dificulty but I kinda saw that and freaked out even before I started! Th moment I saw all the diffrent drapery of the girl and the curtain and the evn-so-casual stance I know what was coming. It's the "simple" ones that get you.

But reaaly like what you've done. And farther behind on the curve than you. Glad we went another month!

--Dweeb-

Well Darn - who would've guessed that something that appears to be simple could be so difficult - even when enlarged!! I had to go back and review the painting again - as most seem to have a bluish-greenish tint to it. I knew by size alone originally at a 9 x 10 would be impossible for me. Heck, even the 16 x 20 is giving me fits. Anyway, here's my progress. I'm so behind the power curve around here with my painting - it's embarrassing. It's amazing that even when you get to the point where finding time to paint is difficult, when you thought you were at least doing a little OK at some point or another - impacts your painting in such a short time.

So, here's my progress and I'm still not finished with it !

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Nov-2005/5957-Progress1a.jpg

DrawDweeb
11-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Here's progress so far. Sorry for the bad lighting, but took pics late last night and didn't see any glare at that time. But today, wow!

But wanted to get this posted becuase am going to class to work on this so wanted to get progress at this point posted.

--Dweeb-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2005/60507-PICT0037_m2.JPG

TauCetiV
11-12-2005, 09:03 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2005/44366-catlookinghole.gif I am still lurking ... you all are doing a great job! keep going!! :clap:

rinah32
11-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Hello, I would like to upload some of my work onto this channel but I need help on how to do it. They are all realistic style , the only style I have. I am involved in the new Master/Teacher project and, being a newbie, I have nothing for anyone to see where I am at. . The computer procedures for scanning and uploading are a mystery to me. All I can find is how to photograph images. I have the photographs and want to scan them in and upload them. Hope someone can help me to do this.
Pam

TauCetiV
11-13-2005, 11:27 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/15/105/
I hope this helps some -- you may have to read your manual for the scanner though;)

Grunge
11-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Tina - Dali was really great when it came to depicting light! I love his gradations! Your really doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

Grunge - That is a great story! As I just told Tina, Dali is so good with the way that he paints gradations and shows light, these MOMís teach a lot of lessons!

Thanks, Iím glad that you enjoyed the information on Dali! (Who knows, maybe you can give one of these Dalis a try. More than one of us are still kind of around!

Thanks for stopping in!

Hey Barb! I wouldn't mind doing a Dali But...... my own surrealist piece is really taking a heck of a long time. more than anticipated, and oddly enough three people from my office decided to come out of the woodwork friday to tell me they want portraits done. one with four people, one with one child and one of a dog. suddenly i feel kind of freaked out and busy, although no serious discussions of pricing have occurred. so all in all, i guess i'll have to be happy with lurking for now. at least until i see if these jobs pan out.

guillot
11-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks Barb and Dweeb and anyone else I've failed to mention. I've finally came to the conclusion that I'm finished with it. Worked on it some last night, and I think it's close enough to call completed. I've learned what I can with this one, and have enjoyed doing it. So here's my final - and yes - it's the seemingly simple ones that get ya ;)

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/5957-Final3A.jpg

rosebard
11-28-2005, 06:44 AM
Hi!!!

Tina, you did a fine job. I love it.

Dweeb, looking forward to see yours finished.

Hi Nickel in progress, how is yours going? And you Barb??

Mine is aside for while, I need to get back to it and decide what do to with the wall. As I think I have not done it right. Maybe I will be able to fix it somehow, I will have to see. Trying to finish few paintings I have already started. :)

Nice to see the works and all of you. :)

TauCetiV
11-29-2005, 09:43 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Cool!:D

guillot
11-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks Bard and everyone !!
Tina

dex
11-30-2005, 07:14 PM
[quote=guillot]Thanks Barb and Dweeb and anyone else I've failed to mention. I've finally came to the conclusion that I'm finished with it. Worked on it some last night, and I think it's close enough to call completed. I've learned what I can with this one, and have enjoyed doing it. So here's my final - and yes - it's the seemingly simple ones that get ya ;)

Tina

great job tina:clap:
dex

guillot
11-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Thank you dex !!

Tina

rosebard
01-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi all! Dali was great fun to paint, especially this one I like a lot. Finished version! :) :wave: Did everyone finished Dali, or are there later ones like mine?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2006/54461-photos_161.jpg

dex
01-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Hi all! Dali was great fun to paint, especially this one I like a lot. Finished version! :) :wave: Did everyone finished Dali, or are there later ones like mine?

fantastic job rose!,u'll soon be an "old master":wink2:,
(didn't wanna say:evil:"mistress!:D.

Also excellent work by one and all!,keep up the good work.:clap::clap::clap:
dex

guillot
01-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Wow, how did I miss your entry Rose? It looks fantastic :clap:

Tina

rosebard
01-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks Dex for the kind words on Dali. Far far from old master here, believe me. :)

Thanks Tina!! :)

KennD
10-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Hello all. I was browsing this thread and found this on Dali, who is certainly one of my favorites among modern artists. I don't paint like him, that is in that Vermeer ultra polished method, but I do follow the idea of using the subconscious as a means of finding paintings.