PDA

View Full Version : ~ Urban Stampede ~ WIP

NodakerDeb
09-30-2005, 10:23 PM
Our local coffee shop -- The Urban Stampede, or "The Urban" for short.

This is taking me forever to finish because I am only working on it in my university art class (painting III). I started with a toned canvas of quin. magenta (glazed), then did an underpainting of complementary colors, then painted in the actual colors. It looks more distorted than it is because of my digi camera and the angle of the easel. 30" x 40". I'll post the next stages as I finish them. I'm not sure how much more I'm going to work on this. I hope not too much but it's a slow process. Lots of details yet to do like window panes, lamp posts, stop sign, a bit of brick definition, shading, and so on. (I do not think this is a particularly great painting, so once I get my critique I'll probably gesso over this and use the canvas for my next painting. We have 6 due this semester.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/36302-Urban1-web.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/36302-Urban2-web.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/36302-Urban3-web.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/36302-Urban4-web.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/36302-Urban5-web.jpg

And for fun... my little area in the art department :) I work three easels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/36302-DebsBohemia1-500pix.jpg

BBL!

Deb

bullyluvver
10-01-2005, 05:09 AM
Really interesting how you began and where you are now. I'm curious as to how anyone chooses a colour to underpaint with (being new to acrylic) so this I find facinating. I wonder how many of us in this forum use one easel never mind three? Lovely painting - hope you will show us the completed version too.

Gail

Faded
10-01-2005, 09:06 AM
I really like this Deb, it has a nice loose feel to it, and the vivid colors are great. I look forward to seeing the finished piece
-David

breuschle
10-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Hi Deb,
I love the colors and feel of this. I particularly like the treatment you've given the large tree on the left..very Van Gogh

3chaway9
10-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I would be happy if this were my painting Deb.....it's great.

NodakerDeb
10-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Gail, A while back I figured out that I was intimidated by white canvases and had a devil of a time getting beyond the 'block'. I saw in a book "The Art of Oil Painting", chapter 7, a demo by Tom Swimm where he always starts with a toned canvas of magenta or some color similar. I was so impressed with how rich his paintings look so I started toning my canvases and haven't looked back. I don't think it was necessary to do an underpainting, but it was part of our painting class exercise. I think I'm the only one who starts on a toned canvas, the others in the class did their underpainting directly on a white canvas. I use the three easels mainly to delineate my 'space' <:)>, but I find them handy to work on also. I also have two easels at home that are always being used. I may me an easel-a-holic. Oh, and I also use that long narrow table in the front of the photo for my collage and gel medium work. I love having a space in the art department because I can make a huge mess and no one cares. :) I also love the "Bohemian" feel and the connection with the other students. I will miss it terribly when I graduate :( I spend 18 hours a week in this spot.
Here's another view. I have drawn a pink arrow showing my spot. We hang our completed paintings up on the wall for the communal classrooms to see.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2005/36302-HFAC-Jason-April.jpg

Passionlass, I will be finishing the tree on the right in the same manner as the one on the left. Just haven't gotten to it yet :)

I will post the finished painting.

Thank you all for taking a peek and commenting!

Deb

NodakerDeb
10-13-2005, 05:36 PM
FWIW I finished this painting and absolutely hate it. :(

Oh well, 3 paintings down for my class, 3 to go.

Urban Stampede -- 30 x 40 on canvas/acrylic

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2005/36302-Urban-finished-600pix.jpg

Deb

Lady Carol
10-13-2005, 06:30 PM
What is it that you hate about it?

My only crit is that I find the trees to be too solid. A bit like deformed lollipops (sorry)

Charlie's Mum
10-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Deb, do you understand why you hate it?
The colours are very luminous and |Ican see why you use a bright ground - never thought of magenta mind you! :D Wow, it certainly jumps off the canvas!
Could it be the 'flatness' of the image perhaps that you don't like?
The trees have a lot of form - though no sky holes for the birdies ;) - but the building has only shallow depth ....... but perhaps that is deliberate ..... a stylised approach rather than a realistic one?

It's certainly very different from your gorgeous flower paintings! :D

I'm extremely envious of all your painting space! :envy: :envy: :envy:

Jprice022
10-13-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm with Carol and Maureen....I don't know what you don't like about it...maybe you should tell us (or yourself, at least)

I enjoy the colors in the painting and feel that it depicts a place I would like to visit.

Thanks for all of the posts.

John

Kimaris Kobal
10-13-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm with the crowd on this one--I like it even if you don't. Get with the program! :p

Seriously, it's a very attractive work. I'd be curious to hear what you don't like about it.

NodakerDeb
10-13-2005, 09:50 PM
It will be shorter if I say what I do like about this painting. I like the street, and the "urban" w/cup. Everything else looks like something an elementary student would paint. :( I can't paint trees worth a pooh, which is why I avoid landscapes like the plague. But, I think the biggest thing I don't like is the fact that I really can't paint with acrylics... at least not in a manner other than as watercolor. I can't figure out the brush strokes, blending is horrible because of the quick drying time, and since I live in a state where the humidity is very low that only compounds the problem. I guess the bottom line is that I really don't like working in heavy bodied acyrlics.

Plus, I've been working on this for 9 weeks. :(

Here is/was the ref. photo which I took.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2005/36302-GrandForksScenes-Urban-400pix.jpg

Deb

raizes
10-13-2005, 10:25 PM
I think you are being too hard on yourself. I think you have a very unique style. I love how you don't wash out the color and try to make it look like a photograph. I like your approach and look to bold and bright color. I checked out your web page and you're very talented and you got a great style. Anyone of your paintings including this one would brighten up any room.

I really don't look to see if it looks like the photograph. I'm diggin those trees and how vibrant that green looks against the orange and red building. There are a lot of artists who try to emulate other artists. You know what....forget that. You paint your style and make it unique in it's own way. This is why I don't paint from a photograph, because I end up trying to emulate and make it look like the picture and I end up losing my personal style, unique quality. If I want a photograph of something I'll use a camera..If I want a painting of something I'll use my imagination.

juneto
10-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Hi Deb, I don't hate it, but I think what I see and maybe you ,is that it looks cut out . For watercolorists ,which you are ,also , no gradation, looks wrong . If the back buildings were not the same values and it didn't look outlined , I think you'd like it better . If the format were Horizantal it would not have had such a tight feeling too.
Am I all wet ?
June

artmom
10-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Deb, this has a very graphic, 1930s feel about it. I like it. If I want realism, I have a camera! :evil: :D

Lyn

carld
10-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Deb,

I have always done an under painting and think it helps a lot. I used magenta this weekend for the first time and was not totally satisfied with it. I think it is too cold for the kind of paintings I do.

I generally use burnt sienna, or a combination of transparent oranges, reds and yellows.

I would not worry about trees. You can't paint a tree, only a symbol that represents a tree. Who is to say that one symbol is worse than another?

I like your painting. It has a sense of place and a feeling of a hot sunny day. Looks like a place I would like to go.

For the first two years I painted, my instructor said I could not paint trees. Still can't, but some people like my stuff anyway.

One suggestion. I think the trees are modeled a little more than the rest of the painting. It gives them a jumpy kind of feeling compared to the rest of the work, which is quite flat. I would suggest adding a little more texture somewhere else in the painting, or using bigger color patches in the trees. A little magenta or red, (same value as the green) in the trees would give interest without excessive modeling. This is only a suggestion, it is your painting.

Carl

See my web site www.dummannart.com

NodakerDeb
10-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Carl, Amazing! Your critique is exactly what my professor said. He wanted to see more of the short brush strokes throughout the whole painting but realized that due to the size and the amount of paintings I still need to get done this semester that I probably wouldn't have time to change that. I did the trees with a small round, whereas the rest of the painting was done with various sizes of flats. I will put this painting to rest for awhile (maybe a long while :)), and come back to it someday when I have the inclination to fiddle with the round again. I do like the colors in my painting, and I didn't mind the magenta toned canvas. I just have so much difficulty blending the heavy body acrylics. Maybe... someday... if I should venture into oils I could 'fix' this with oils.

June, you are NOT all wet <:)>. In fact, you are right on the money. I am, and always will be a watercolorist foremost and I depend on gradiation and tonal value to make things look right. I am unable to achieve that using heavy acrylics on canvas. I am simply inept using this medium in that way. :( I do enjoy, and have better luck doing abstration with acrylics. If I hadn't had a landscape and/or street scene painting due as part of the required work I'd have never painted this! I should have done it on paper with liquid acrylics used in the manner of wc.

Lyn, thank you for your nice comments. I'm always saying the same thing about realism. :) I still think my painting looks like a 5th grader painted it, but I like your take on it having a 1930's feel. :)

raizes, thank you for your nice comments, and thank you for taking a look at my website. I haven't been to it for ages. You reminded me that I better check to see if I have any mail on it! eek!

:wave: Thanks to all who have commented. You haven't changed my mind, but I do appreciate the feedback. I'm just glad I don't have to look at this painting again until I want to. :D

Deb

Kimaris Kobal
10-14-2005, 05:50 AM
I think you are being too hard on yourself.

I do too.

I think you have a very unique style.

Same here, and your trees are one of the things I like best about this painting. If you made them different than you're making them, I might very well not like it as much. Embrace what you're doing/how things are turning out! It's like embracing who you are rather than trying to be someone else!

I love how you don't wash out the color and try to make it look like a photograph. I like your approach and look to bold and bright color.

Me too. I'm wondering if you're not thinking that this painting is a problem because it doesn't look more realistic--like the photograph, say. But I think the painting wouldn't be as good if it were more realistic and like the photograph. I like what you've done better! It's again a matter of embracing what you're doing instead of what you originally thought you should be doing. The same thing goes for acrylics--they may not be doing exactly what you wanted them to do, behavior-wise, but what they're doing for you works! I think it's important to realize that, let the paints be however they are, and embrace that, since it's working.

I checked out your web page and you're very talented and you got a great style.

I didn't do that yet, but I will.

I really don't look to see if it looks like the photograph.

Me either. I don't want it to look like the photograph. I'm one of those people who would just hang up a photograph if I wanted something that looks like a photograph. When I look at and buy an artist's work, I want them to show me their unique vision, their unique way of painting. I want to buy and hang up how they paint--that's what attracts me to painting. If painting were only trying to mimic something else, so that it looked more or less like something that wasn't a painting, I wouldn't be interested in painting. I'd go directly to the thing it's trying to mimic instead. Why bother with the middle man when you don't have to?

Charlie's Mum
10-14-2005, 09:34 AM
He wanted to see more of the short brush strokes throughout the whole painting but realized that due to the size and the amount of paintings I still need to get done this semester that I probably wouldn't have time to change that. I did the trees with a small round, whereas the rest of the painting was done with various sizes of flats.

I do like the colors in my painting, and I didn't mind the magenta toned canvas. I just have so much difficulty blending the heavy body acrylics.

Deb, perhaps the answer for you, should you wish to try to come to terms with this kind of paint, is to use your flat, same colours, but not blend, or even attempt it. Use broken colour and allow the brush strokes to create the texture and colour/tone change you want ..... I'm thinking of Cezanne's style of painting .......... I'm sure you'd make a great painting with which you'd be satisfied, by just trying a different approach with the technique.
Instead of thinking 'blend', think 'building' with luscious paint and 'seeable' brush strokes. :D
There's no reason at all why a talented w/colourist can't also show her talent in a different medium and be equally successful :D

Lady Carol
10-14-2005, 11:12 AM
I can't paint trees worth a pooh
Pooh is worth something? :evil: I never knew that :evil:

I have to agree that you are being too hard on yourself. Have you tried mediums in the paint to slow down the drying time? What about other additives to help build texture and brush stroke?

For me, the best thing about your art is your use of colour. That takes centre stage more than the subject matter. Look back on your beach series. That was a stunner. The painting was no worse than this it was just more dynamic with colour usage.

NodakerDeb
10-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Kris, I think I figured out why I was disappointed with this painting. I wanted it to be 'easier' to paint, or I should say blend the colors. I found working with acrylics in this way to be very unforgiving when it comes to blending, esp. since we have virtually no humidity in my area. Lady Carol, I have just about every mixing medium on the market, but I don't like them. Again, it's probably because I don't know how to use them, or have enough practice. I loved your 'pooh' comment. LOL!!! very thought provoking. :D OHMYGOSH, I had forgotten about the Miami Beach series. I suspect they worked because they were 12 x12 inches. :)

Charliesmum, I think you are absolutely correct about the brush stroke. I just didn't have the time to put into this painting. I also don't know how to paint that way so I'm not sure I would have had to time figure it out. Dang deadlines.

Well, I asked my professor yesterday if I could re-do this one and count it as another painting only this time I'm doing it in watercolor. He said yes! I've already got it started and I feel a lot more confident about this one. :)

Deb