PDA

View Full Version : Shattered. For Roger

aszurblue
09-30-2005, 01:06 PM
The mirror is like the world, reflecting what you do. If you smile at it, it will smile back at you.

My step Mother always said this to me as a teenager. The image of the mirror stuck in my minds eye. So when bad things happen, I will go to my mirror and fix any cracks that may have happened with my magical hands. But after life's hard knocks, just one after another, I was at the end of my rope. I was so hurt! I So Was Done! I was on my lunch hour at work when I did the first sketch. I never never do these kinds of drawings! I have always painted "happy" things.
So this was a real surprise coming out. And now it won't go away, and driving me nuts cause I cant get the mirror right.

This is not done of coarse, in the first two, I had hair. Don't know at this point if I'll bring it back? The body shape keeps changing every time I do it over?? This one is in watercolor think I like the one in acrylic best, but came out kinda dark and no lightning. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/49110-Shatterd_005.jpg

aszurblue
09-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Ops... forgot, c/c welcome. This is my first ever post of any of my work on any forum :o Azure

ArtsyMom x3
09-30-2005, 01:36 PM
cool thought! Look carefully at the placement of the mirror and the person. It looks as though the mirror is too close in the foreground...almost as though the person is next to it, not in front of it. It all has to do with the angle of the mirror that is throwing you off. her knees will be pointing to the middle of the mirror stand, not behind the back footing. Look at what i'm talking about. If you can be sure to align that up, where there is no doubt the person is kneeling/resting in FRONT of the mirror, you will solve your problem. Let me know if you understand that I'm trying to convey. if you don't see the line up i'm talking about, please let me know and I will try to explain better.

I'll bet once you line it up properly, you will calm your concerns. watch and see! you can do it!

aszurblue
09-30-2005, 02:25 PM
I GOT IT!! i See it now. Oh Duh.. A another problem is the coloring of the mirror pieces, I know what I want to do, just cant get it right :( Thank you so much ArtsyMom X 3. Azure :music:

ArtsyMom x3
09-30-2005, 02:32 PM
honestly? I have to admit, I had a DUH moment just then too...I didn't realize that was a shattered mirror.....now THAT is sad, isn't it. I had a senior moment, thats for sure! (and i'm in my late 30's...too soon for those sort of moments!)

One huge tip about a reflective surface....it is not a color....it is a reflection of it's environment, ONLY. don't know with the sort of style you are using how you can convey this, but I just don't think blue is the color you want to go with. You'll have to use your imagination. also, they won't all be the same color, either, they are all reflecting different things so they will look different. one more thing. the backing behind the broken glass will probably be better off darker. that way, leaving the pieces of glass lighter will look more "mirror-like" than how you have it. remember, in watercolors, your lightest lights are only as light as your darkest darks...therefore, you will have the appearance of bright, reflective surfaces if those areas are left light and the surrounding surface is dark. even if the pieces of glass are white with grey streaks through them, if the backing of the mirror were brown, grey or black, you will make those pieces of glass look more like glass!

rcollege
09-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Azure,
Thanks for posting! Good job so far.
Now for the artistic part:
relax and take a deep breath and close your eyes and think about this picture.
What do you really see?

Do you see all red or do you see darkness with red in the corners making it suggesting the background is red? Do you see hair or no hair? Let me know then we can get to the mirror. All these factors will impact the mirror.

Just don't get discouraged- your doing great!

aszurblue
09-30-2005, 04:59 PM
OK, lets look at this one. It looks much lighter on here than it really is and the colour is not pink/orange either. It much darker. But as you see, the mirror is still wrong. Picture #2.unfinished I was tiring for a soft darkness. Remember I told you, I'm not good at these "from my minds eye" things

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/49110-Shatterd_009.jpg

T Christensen
09-30-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm sensing something else here ...She's sad so she has already looked in the mirror and dropped to her knees when it shattered ....Since it would be difficult to make the suggested changes why not put the tree in the main mirror as reflection and put her face in the falling pieces . Would have to do some scrubbing on the dark pieces but the color left could be molded to her face . Another thought ...You could make her the color of the reflection , light aqua to be her reason of sadness ...She's green with envy :)..wow we could go on and on ....look what thoughts you have put into my head ....there's you're art .........TerryC

sorry ..just looked again ..its not a tree its lightning ....

aszurblue
09-30-2005, 05:03 PM
sorry unfinished #3 not two.

rcollege
10-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Azure, your better at the minds eye than you give credit for.

What may be throwing you off is the size of the mirror in relation to the total size of the pieces on the floor. Whats on the floor will simply not fill the entire mirror.

If you use larger pieces that are also cracked and leave large cracked pieces in the mirror it will be easier- you'll have more space per piece to make reflections.

Keep going your doing better than you think!

rcollege
10-01-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm going to draw a diagram that may help you with the reflection of the mirror pieces.

aszurblue
10-02-2005, 05:30 AM
Okey Dokey, Left it alone yesterday and went to the book store :D
Got the Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. Don't know if I like the three page writing thing, like coming here in the mornings. :) Azure

rcollege
10-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Azure,
Thank you for your patience. The diagram wasn't working so I'll tell you..After much thought I realized the mirror pieces will be the same color as the background....Its the physics of light and angle of reflection. Put a small mirror on the floor...you'll see the wall or cielling depeding on how close you are to the mirror. So it would be best to have the background a different color than the floor.
Hope this helps...I'm still excited to see it!