PDA

View Full Version : Great L'il Doodads, Small Price!

Khadres
09-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Thought I'd share my good fortune with y'all concerning a handy dandy little device (well, two of them actually) I just ordered from Fine Art Store. Originally, I'd always thought electric erasers sounded kinda silly and they were DEFINITELY too expensive for any use I'd have for them. Last winter, however, I had a 50% off coupon at Aaron Bros. and found one that cost about $15 discounted, tried it, loved it and promptly lost it! A week or so ago I went in search of another one online and instead of the pricey one I had, I found these little gizmos for a fraction of the price!

The nifty thing about these is that they will remove pastels, colored pencils and even some water-based paint layers gently and without hurting your paper, etc. With a little practice you can even remove just a single layer or so or achieve a sort of reverse "shading" effect. The erasers themselves are the same white ones Sandy mentioned in a thread a few months back...they do their job cleanly and without damage. In short, the darn little things can be worth their weight in gold and should be on everybody's stocking stuffer list this Xmas!

<URL=http://www.fineartstore.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=15312&idp=15311&his=0|5770|15311&cart_id=3398437.1176>Big Al</url>

<URL=http://www.fineartstore.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=15313&idp=15311&his=0|5770|15311&cart_id=3398437.1176>Slim</url>

BTW, I actually like the "Big Al" one best because it fits the hand so comfortably. And no, I'm not a paid advertiser, just tickled when I find something cheap and cute and it really, really works!

KJSCL
09-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Looks like a neat little eraser. The hard part will be trying to find something like that in Canada!! Although looking at the selection of pastels the Fine Art Store has, I may just have to buy some of those to make a $5.99 purchase worthwhile :evil:

Khadres
09-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Ohhhh, yeah, they have a GREAT array of pastels, as well!

khourianya
09-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Kathy - I think that Mona Lisa sells those (down on 17th and 6th)....I could be wrong, but i know they have some really small battery powered erasers and I keep meaning to pick one up...

khourianya
09-30-2005, 09:15 PM
lol - I was at Mona Lisa today and, yep, they are the exact same ones. $4.95 CDN and eraser refills are $1.25 for 30 refills. all in all, a pretty decent deal! I can hardly wait to get batteries now! Thanks for the reminder about these, Sooz!

Paula Ford
10-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Great idea Sooz! I'm maxed out at Jerry's this month, so I'll have to wait until next month.

HEY WAIT....it IS next month LOL. It's Oct 1!!

Orchidacea
10-01-2005, 11:27 AM
I was in their physical store last week and almost bought one of those--they have them hanging near the register and I thought they looked so cool. I live about 20 minutes away from there, so next time I go, I'll grab one!

They do have a fantastic selection of pastels--I love that I can just pop in there and get almost anything I want!

Khadres
10-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Great idea Sooz! I'm maxed out at Jerry's this month, so I'll have to wait until next month.

HEY WAIT....it IS next month LOL. It's Oct 1!!

HAHAHHAA....where there's a will there's a way!!!

Khadres
10-01-2005, 12:33 PM
I was in their physical store last week and almost bought one of those--they have them hanging near the register and I thought they looked so cool. I live about 20 minutes away from there, so next time I go, I'll grab one!

They do have a fantastic selection of pastels--I love that I can just pop in there and get almost anything I want!

Bragging like that could get you killed, you know! :evil: I can't imagine what it's even like being in a fully stocked art supply store! Must be heaven!

HEY! Sometime when you're going, take your camera along and take some pics of all the pastels! We can drool over 'em even if we can't get at 'em!

Orchidacea
10-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Bragging like that could get you killed, you know! :evil: I can't imagine what it's even like being in a fully stocked art supply store! Must be heaven!

HEY! Sometime when you're going, take your camera along and take some pics of all the pastels! We can drool over 'em even if we can't get at 'em!

LOL...okay, okay, don't kill me--I made it all up :wink2: ! If it's any comfort to you, I can't actually afford to BUY most of that great stuff...it's pretty painful to be able to see and touch, then have to leave it there, LOL.

I'll take some pics next time I go...hehehe...I'll tell them they're getting free advertising--or maybe that's not such a good idea? Or maybe this would get them interested in buying space on WC? We need a ruling here...

Khadres
10-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Tell them they have some huge fans within the WC ranks and we all wish WE had FAS outlets in OUR areas too!

And yes, I can imagine that it IS a very sad thing to look at that vast array and know that one's checkbook/credit cards/wallet are wayyyyyyy to limited to have it all! Still, you do get to dreammmmmmm...

KJSCL
10-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Cori, I was at Mona Lisa's today but didn't see these - where about are they? If you say in the pencil/charcoal area, I'm in serious need of more than new reading glasses!!

khourianya
10-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Worse..on the counter beside the cash register that is off to the side..it is a display rack with all kinds of different colours of them...

KJSCL
10-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Okay - that is even worse, because I must have been standing right beside them when I was paying. Oh well, just what I needed, another excuse to go back to the art store!

khourianya
10-02-2005, 03:55 PM
lol - Well, start putting subtle hints in their heads that we need more for pastel stock. I have been doing it for a while now and they have now started to carry things like Roz boxes and a few extra sets and such....the more we can pressure, the better the pastel section will become! :D

khourianya
10-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Ok - I have to step back in here and say that these little erasers are fabulous!!! I was working on colourfix yesterday and needed to preserve solme areas so I could use pure white on them...anytime I got a colour in the area I was preserving, I just took my little eraser and buzzed it right away..It took the colour right down to the original paper colour! I couldn't be happier. I have a feeling I will need to buy another one to keep in my field kit! :D

Khadres
10-03-2005, 03:29 PM
I sure like mine too! And even tho it erases down to the ground, it DOESN'T fuzz up the paper or otherwise damage it at all...very cool indeed!

HarvestMoon
10-03-2005, 08:07 PM
the electric ones are really great- used to use them in the early '80's on seismic interpretations before there were erasable colored pencils!! would think the electric ones would be much better than the battery ones.... ah, I know all too well about maxing out on art supplies- lets see- what is the formula? for evey 20,000 spent you earn $90? is that it? do they still have prisons for debtors? i might as well be under house arrest..... like poor Martha-

Khadres
10-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Poor Martha looked hale and hearty on her new show today, so I'm not too worried on her account! :cat:

You made $90????? How about loaning me a twenty??? :D I don't know what the going ratio is, but mine's probably even worse!

HarvestMoon
10-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Sooz, you have to get the $20. from our vet- the only rich ones around LOL

khourianya
10-03-2005, 11:47 PM
lol - isn't that the truth! :p

hmmm...that's some ratio...maybe I need to start selling before I can buy any more supplies...