PDA

View Full Version : Teatime

3chaway9
09-29-2005, 04:05 PM
:wave: Hi all,
iv'e been playing around with this for a couple of days....
i know a lot of people find still lifes...with tea things a bit boring....
but i was just kind of doodling to start off with...i set up the mug and the teapot just to paint 'whiteware' really...then it just took off....as usual...
i added the plate and cakes/biscuits...it's had a few backgrounds too...all made up...i know it's not great...i had taken a ref.pic. of the final setup and ended up using that... as...the cakes/biscuits were eaten and the setup had to be moved as it was on my kitchen worktop...lol....
i found as i moved back and forward that my view was often different....and it drove me nuts :mad: ...also the light changed all the time so i hadn't much chance of doing it 'ala prima' there's a space on the left foreground....i have been trying to think of something to put there....(or not)...any ideas?
C&C welcome please.....14''x10'' acrylic paper. Thankyou for looking.

rickymanchester
09-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi Caroline,

I love still lifes like this... and I don't think they are boring. Plus even the people that find the subject matter boring should be able to appreciate the effort and skill that has gone into this.

I particularly like the cakes... they look like they were effortlessly painted. You also have an interesting composition with the handles at right angles to eachother.

The space at the left does seem a little empty but I don't know if that is my actual opinion or my opinion now that you've pointed that out. :)

Best Wishes

3chaway9
09-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Thankyou....for your nice comments....and the cakes were easy to paint...but the plate????? i always have bother with ellipse's...

bullyluvver
09-29-2005, 05:07 PM
It's not one bit boring. In fact I think you did a very skilled job on it & I like it a lot!

Gail

JanB
09-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Caroline...this is very nice!! I agree the cakes are sooo well done and I love the way you have the handle of the cup positioned. There are many nice elements... the lacy cloth and the background is lovely too. You pointed out the empty left foreground which didn't immediately bother me but now that you pointed it out I see what you mean. Perhaps a silver spoon set at a diagnol....just thinking out loud.

3chaway9
09-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Thankyou Gail for your nice comments.
I was thinking of a teaspoon at one time...and thought if i had ....the sugar bowl should be there too...but maybe.......thanks for your input and comments.....JanB.

Nitsa
09-29-2005, 06:26 PM
I like the space, I find it quizzing that humans always feel the need to fill a space or break a silence....she says babbling on! LOL!
Infact I like everything about this piece and your rendering of it makes it everything BUT boring! The cakes and biscuits are fantastic (are they jaffa cakes??) and I enjoy the fact that your elipses are not perfect..It makes the whole painting feel homely, kind and secure.
I think you did well with your background, the poppies add to that homely feel.

The only crit I have is the dark black line around the window frame, I'm sure the RHS verticle would be paler in tone from the light source and the lighter tones would also show in the horizontal on the LHS. Right now I personally find it a little distracting.
Perhaps the shadow between the 3 items would be a tad darker too where they meet the tablecloth?

You have done a wonderful job and I hope you can appreciate your efforts more after a little distance from the piece.

jan409
09-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Caroline:I like the painting, and I too love the cakes, the empty space to the left doesn't bother me either, but I agree about the black lining of the windows. But I do love how you brougt in the outside flowers and folage. Just lovely. Jan409

asmith38
09-29-2005, 07:28 PM
It's really nice! If you promise to share some of the yummy-looking pastries, I'll giv eyou an idea for the lower left corner ;D... ok, how about a napkin?

3chaway9
09-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Thankyou Anita.....your a star.... :clap:
Thankyou Jan409....as the background was made up i take your comment very well.... :cat:
Thanks Ann....sorry the cakes are well away...lol... :evil: i think the napkin is a good idea...but i think i'll just leave it as it is....and move on to something else.
This is the final (i hope)

Nitsa
09-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Perfect! :clap:

ramsgirl
09-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Very pretty..Cozy, makes me want to sit by the window and relax...Relaxing is never boring..hehe

Bertoni
09-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Caroline:
This is well done indeed!!! This still life has a life of its own!! :clap:
It's a winner, and I'll have one of those cakes!!!!!!

Faded
09-29-2005, 10:20 PM
This is a great painting of everyday life. It looks natural, not so much a "still life" as a "real life". Really well done Caroline
-David

Margaret 59
09-29-2005, 11:36 PM
I've just had lunch but really fancy one of your cakes now, Caroline.
It's a lovely painting, not boring and I particularly like how you've done the mug handle as I couldn't have painted it in that position for the life of me. Also the silver foil containers for the cakes....very realistic.
I didn't know there was such a thing as acrylic paper.

bullyluvver
09-30-2005, 03:07 AM
I'm glad you left it be - it's just perfect now! Very pretty piece.

Gail

Dewi
09-30-2005, 04:22 AM
Just perfect, tart and aluminum foils looks perfect too.

gurleygirl
09-30-2005, 04:43 AM
I think you have done a great job. It is not boring at all and makes me a little hungry. :)
Tracey

Azure Wings
09-30-2005, 04:43 AM
Caroline, I disagree with most of the posters. Everyone's being very supportive, but since you're asking for a critique, rather than support, I offer some observations...

I agree with your concerns about the ellipses, particularly on both the plate and the cup. If your intention is to paint in a fairly primitive style, you could pull it off leaving it as is, but I don't get the sense that's what you're trying to do here.

While I think the lightening you did on the left hand side helped, that side of the painting still seems to me as empty, while the tea things seem clumped together (they seem to need a little breathing room). Also, the heavy vertical line of the wood coming where it does creates an awkward division of the surface. If you look at the painting, and block off some of the left hand portion, I think you may agree it becomes a stronger painting. As it is currently, the compositional problems get in the way of the charm of the painting.

Hoping this is helpful,
Karen

3chaway9
09-30-2005, 05:51 AM
Thankyou...
Anita....
Ramsgirl....
Bertoni...
David...
Margaret.....
It was one of those paintings i couldn't just trash when it was going wrong...so now i'm glad i persisted and finished it...thanks for all your nice comments.

3chaway9
09-30-2005, 06:01 AM
Thanks Gail....Dewi and Tracey...for your comments...there all very welcome.

bjcpaints
09-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Caroline, Whether real or imagined, I love this homey little scene - makes me want to sit right down and have some tea! Definitely not boring and I am so not a still life person. This has life!
Barbara

Anita Murphy
09-30-2005, 10:50 AM
I had to look at this - teatime/coffee tables held me captive for a while. I think this is lovely. I love the empty space. The front curve of the cup is out slightly, but not enough to be glaring. Those have to Mr Kipling pies/cakes!!! MMMMMM Mr Kipling makes exceedingly nice cakes!

Lady Carol
09-30-2005, 12:29 PM
"I will have some tea please (milk no sugar) and one of those little cakes....eh? What was that? They are no longer available......":evil: "I only came here for the cakes. I have heard so much about them, they are world famous you know......"

I love that line and going into an obscure restaurant ordering something only to be told that they don't have any that day. Well out comes the barage of...."but I came all the way from Australia to have that......I was so looking forward to it and it was just going to make the trip all worth while......" Meanwhile the little waitress (if she is a decent sort) is feeling 2 inches high and is very apologetic. All the restuarants near us have had that treatment at one time or the other.

What was I here for? Oh, Yes your painting.....

Love it. The composition is great. I like the balance between the open space on the left and the elements on the right. Well done.

3chaway9
09-30-2005, 01:09 PM
:wave: hi,
thanks for all your feedback...Karen...Barbara...Anita and Carol..
Karen...i hope you come back to this post as i have been doing a bit of renovation...thanks to you lol...what do you think now?
Carol...thanks for the story too...lol
Anita....yip as i said earlier i'm hopeless with elipse's anyway it didn't stop a lot of famous painters....lol.
So.........i must say...i have been pleasently surprised with all the attention i have had with this painting...was supposed to be a wee excercise....just goes to show you....Ladies like cakes!!!!!! :evil: :D :D

here is the final image......thanks for looking .

bullyluvver
09-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Lol...have you put more chocolate on those biscuits Caroline? I think you have! Even with my inexperienced eye I can see how the small improvements have made it stand out more. However, the fact that it's NOT perfect is what I find so very attractive about this little painting. I think it's wonderful!

Gail

3chaway9
09-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks again Gail....one tries ones best........lol

dspinks
09-30-2005, 11:41 PM
The changes make a great difference. The painting looks like a complete story now. Much improved!

Debra

asmith38
10-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Caroline,
It is better, but I'm still sore about the cakes LOL! We all have a sweet tooth around here :D.

Carol,
That made me laugh so much! Poor waitress!

wintersrose
10-01-2005, 12:22 AM
What a gorgeous painting, Caroline! I think you did a beautiful job with it. I like that you left the space open on the left, it creates some wonderful visual interest and really, when you think about it, what in real life is perfectly balanced, lol?! I'd gladly hang this in my house. This picture makes me wish I had a good book to read so I could sit down with a cup of tea and relax for a while! :D

Azure Wings
10-01-2005, 04:25 AM
:wave: hi,
thanks for all your feedback...Karen...Barbara...Anita and Carol..
Karen...i hope you come back to this post as i have been doing a bit of renovation...thanks to you lol...what do you think now?

Caroline, I think the changes you've made have really improved it. Lightening the vertical line of the wood now makes the eyes go first to the cookies on the plate (which, as the other posters have testified, is a real attraction!), rather than up and out of the picture with the vertical line. And changing the lace shape has helped lead the eye around the picture plane, and changed the scrunched-up feeling. Good for you for sticking with it until you'd worked out a solution!

Wishing you a great time with your next piece, too,
Karen

3chaway9
10-01-2005, 11:05 AM
:wave: Hi........Debra.....Anne....Rosalie and Karen.........thankyou you all for the posts...... :) i learned a lot from this excercise....sorry for eating all the goodies........ :evil: :D

Charlie's Mum
10-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Caroline - sorry to be late for tea!
I do think you handled the porcelain really well - irrespective of elipses! the textures are so good .
The goodies look scrumptious - not surprised they've disappeared!
I like the lace cloth too - such patience girl!
I note the improvements you've made to the comp - so all in all, a super painting :D

3chaway9
10-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Thankyou Maureen......the lacey cloth....a doddle....i just stippled through a paper doily...i like that effect going to use this method again...with different patterns of mesh etc.