PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Calibration

Rich
09-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi all,
I think some discussion and ways to calibrate a monitor need to be revisited.

Before any critique can be given about highlights and shadow detail, along with color balance, a monitor calibration should be done. That's not to say you shouldn't give a critique if you can't figure out the calibration procedure but if others don't agree with your critique on the three items listed, maybe it is time to calibrate.

Another way to determine if your calibration is off: if your adjustments look real good on the monitor but are way off on the print out, time to recalibrate.

Here is a link to check your monitor out. It will tell you if you need to calibrate. http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html

The following is for PhotoShop only, I bet Howard can figure it out for PSP.

Do a right click on start, left click explore.
When all the files come up go to:
program files>common files>adobe>. Double click on the calibration folder. Inside, double click on the adobe gamma control panel extension.
Just follow their directions and you will be ok.
If you don't feel comfortable doing this have someone help you.

EDIT:Forgot to say, if you can't get far enough back when you are making adjustments, squint your eyes.

Let me know how you do.

Kevin M
09-29-2005, 02:12 PM
For CRT monitors and the Windows platform - I set up a page some time back which I am told is easy to follow and gives reasonably good results for most users.

CRT MONITOR CALIBRATION (http://homepage.eircom.net/~bot/paint/monitor.htm)

Rich
09-29-2005, 02:19 PM
For CRT monitors and the Windows platform - I set up a page some back which I am told is easy to follow and gives reasonably good results for most users.

CRT MONITOR CALIBRATION (http://homepage.eircom.net/~bot/paint/monitor.htm)
SUPER.....looks good!

Thanks!

Kevin M
09-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi Rich

Hope you find it useful.
You should find the large RGB patches a lot easier to calibrate than the tiny ones in Adobe Gamma. The most important part I have always found is first setting the brightness/blackpoint so that ALL the greyscale wedges are clearly distinguishable from one another. The colour is less problematic with the large patches and using the left/right arrow keys on the keyboard with each colour channel rather than the sliders in Adobe Gamma. The surrounding background should end up as a Neutral dark grey without any pink green or blue tinges.

Kevin

Rich
09-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Kevin, I just checked out my calibration. Black and white point show right on, color calibration was off just a tiny amount. It is a lot easier using the large color swatches.

Rich

Windy
09-30-2005, 02:34 AM
Kevin thankyou for that!
The bigger swatches helped me get my pink tinge gone :D
I am also going to rate this thread!

Kevin M
09-30-2005, 03:26 AM
Hi Rich and Wendy,

Glad you found it of help.
I regularly check my gallery pages on a friends monitor. He runs a graphics business and his main monitor is a very high-end Sony Artisan complete with a set of comprehensive (and expensive) calibrating tools. Viewing my pages on this accurate setup I usually find that I don't get any nasty surprises regarding image colour contrast etc.
However viewing the same images on other uncalibrated monitors I often find the results pretty awful. Most commonly far too dark or bright and/or too red or too blue.
Overall colour drifting towards pink (as Wendy refers to) is very common. My own ageing Trinitron does just that - if I let it.

Kevin

Windy
09-30-2005, 03:49 AM
I have usually calibrated my monitor and have only just recently encountered problems (it is probably getting aged too), my big thing now will be getting the curves set up for printing :( admittedly the difference between monitor and printer is only slight but it would be nice to get it spot on!.

Kevin M
09-30-2005, 04:56 AM
Hi Wendy

My own monitor (uncalibrated) has always had a very slight bias towards pink - which shows up in grey backgounds. As it gets older I seem to have to calibrate more often. Getting the red patch absolutely right seems to be the key. I make the right side lighter and reduce it one step at a time till it just 'barely' blends. Still is a very seviceable monitor though and I have never felt the urge to upgrade it. Hope it keeps going a bit longer.

Matching print output to what you see on screen is a challenge for everyone from the beginner right up to the professionals. Hard to give advice because the amount of variables involved with various printers, papers, inks etc is immense. I have always trawled the various photographic forums for hands on experience of people with the same type of printer and then experimented myself with lots of test prints (not forgetting to save the settings of the ones I was reasonably satisfied with).

Kevin

Windy
09-30-2005, 05:01 AM
Kevin been there done that! Most of my problems recently came with generic inks and paper .........NEVER AGAIN!
My monitor has usually had more of a blue tinge till the last effort at callibration where it tended pink. Anyway it is happy now being pretty close to what it should be and the prints have a very slight magenta tinge (I can live with that). An offshoot to your link actually took you to a site which suggested curves as an action before printing after doing a grey scale print for adjustment. Very handy tool!

Kevin M
09-30-2005, 05:44 AM
An offshoot to your link actually took you to a site which suggested curves as an action before printing after doing a grey scale print for adjustment. Very handy tool!

Hi Wendy

Actually that curves procedure is in Rich's link to EPP (http://epaperpress.com/psphoto/index.html)

EPaperPress is a very useful site loaded with practical tips.

Kevin

Windy
09-30-2005, 06:03 AM
Sorry Kevin you are correct, I had a few windows open working it out! Looks good now though :clap:

Rich
09-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Kevin been there done that! Most of my problems recently came with generic inks and paper .........NEVER AGAIN!

Very wise choice Wendy. I tried Generic ink and paper and wound up wasting most of the material trying to get a decent print. I ALWAYS us the ink and paper made for my printer. Expensive? Yes but minimal waste!

BTW, as you well know a print will NEVER match the color and contrast on the monitor EXACTLY! Close but not exact. I wasted a lot of time and material trying! :D

Windy
09-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Very wise choice Wendy. I tried Generic ink and paper and wound up wasting most of the material trying to get a decent print. I ALWAYS us the ink and paper made for my printer. Expensive? Yes but minimal waste!

BTW, as you well know a print will NEVER match the color and contrast on the monitor EXACTLY! Close but not exact. I wasted a lot of time and material trying! :D

I know but I printed my callibrated test strip last night ... wow it is so close its not worth thinking about ... the minutest amount of magenta in the mid grey! I am not even going to try to correct that lol!

I also have wasted a lot of material (and time) in the past trying to get printing matched to monitor :(

Gypsytoo
10-01-2005, 03:50 AM
Oh boy....here we go again. How come I feel another learning curve coming on! This is something else I have never done or thought about. O.K...I give in! Will do this test tomorrow.

May have to have my learning curves callibrated too :rolleyes:

p.s. Joking aside, this is very good info, so thank you. :D

JBarrett
10-01-2005, 09:32 AM
I haven't looked at the calibration pages posted so far, but thought I'd throw another one into the mix just for giggles...

http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php

This one is for brightness only, BTW...

kaleidoscope eyes
10-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Thank you Rich and thank you Kevin :clap:
This is something I've put off doing for no good reason. Now is the time to do it, thanks again for a very informative thread.

Bobby D
10-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks rich for starting a thread on a subject that will always warrant considerable discussion, for to match screened to Printer is I think one of the hardest things in digital photography. Like most people I also have used up considerable material to get a result anything like pleasing. Though I do find the Epson printer programmes along with the Epson printers can do a pretty good job if you have a little patience.

kaleidoscope eyes
10-04-2005, 01:54 PM
I've just checked my monitor using Rich's link and alls well on black points and white points but the gamma is out. Has anyone used the free download for this and if so did it work well?

Rich
10-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Carol, it looks like you have PS 7 just go to my first post and find it that way or do a search on your computer for adobe gamma.

Windy
10-04-2005, 04:17 PM
I used the PS gamma adjustment Carol, that works well!

Kevin M
10-05-2005, 03:50 AM
On Windows Adobe Gamma is usually in the Contol Panel menu - or another quick way to get at it - is to create a shortcut. Go to Program Files/ Common Files / Adobe /Calibration and create a shortcut for 'Adobe Gamma.cpl' and drag it to the desktop or wherever is convenient.

kaleidoscope eyes
11-10-2005, 03:11 PM
HELP!! I've adjusted my gamma as per your Instructions Rich - now how the heck do I adjust the colour???? Everythings looking very weird :eek:

Rich
11-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Carol. did you adjust the red green and blue gammas or just the grey one?

If you did just the grey one, uncheck single gamma and do the color ones. Remember to squint your eyes while adjusting for the blend.

kaleidoscope eyes
11-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Rich, I just get the window for adjusting greyscale gamma, can't see anything about the colour channels???

Rich
11-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Do you get this box?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2005/1461-gamma.jpg

If so uncheck view single gamma only.

kaleidoscope eyes
11-10-2005, 03:54 PM
OK Rich, thanks very much. I've found the relevant bit now I've got some tweaking to do :rolleyes:

Rich
11-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Well?? Any luck??

kaleidoscope eyes
11-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Rich, yes thanks - its looking better now!
Seemed to be very dark when I adjusted the three colours in the squares, so played with the brightness and contrast of the screen and now it's looking much better. I'll try printing something next and really see what I've got ~ or not got :)

Rich
11-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Technically, you should adjust brightness and contrast before you do the other adjustments, not after...but hey, if it works out...great!

Hope it did!