PDA

View Full Version : Seascape WIP...

Tunek
09-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi everyone...
First I didn't wanna post this one before it was finished but my Bosnian friend Ale l. talked me into it...If you've seen any of my postings you've seen I'm a total newbie in watercolors and I'm anxious to learn...
OK, here it goes...This one is from a book and is a seascape with stromy clouds approaching and some boats on the horizon... This is actually the third step (because I didn't wanna post a WIP at all), so the initial sketch is missing, and the masking of the boats also...here is step three where I wetted the upper 2/3 od the paper and applied a wet in wet wash for the backround sky... If this is gonna come out good I'm thinking of give it to my mum for her birthday which is on oct. 8th...haven't got much time ;)...I was thinking if this one won't be good I can still paint another...

Anyway, this is Arches 300g, 19×26cm CP, Cotman half pans: Ultramarine blue, Cobalt blue, Alizarin crimson and peins grey...
I'm hoping for some feedback maybe I should make another one...I'm kinda pleased with the backround especially because it's a first one like this (wet in wet)...Maybe it does turn out good after all...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2005/61471-wetcmam.jpg

next I'll do a few suggestions in the foreground and then some minor (color) things on the sails...I like the mood of this...C&C appreciated...

Tunek
09-29-2005, 12:26 PM
The photo is a little darker, the bottom is totally white, you get the picture...

mustcreate
09-29-2005, 01:45 PM
terrific start!!

absolutely love that sky....so very moody

this should be posted in the Studio - I will alert a Mod to move it for you :)

em

Tunek
09-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks a lot Em! I thought I've posted in the right place, sorry...thank you for the positive feedback...yes I like the sky too...hope I don't mess the painting up in the next steps :)

T Christensen
09-29-2005, 03:28 PM
It can be scary tunek....but you can do it..........Love that sky...TerryC

Tunek
09-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks for your support Terry, I sure will do my best! I simply couldn't wait so I did the foreground:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2005/61471-wetcmam1.jpg

the green bothers me a little, but not too much...

Granny R
09-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Love your sky , it';s going to be gorgeous. Keep going.
Ruth

seedy
09-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Hi...
Lots of power in there...
Go for it....the green is fine....if you can....although I liked Paynes Grey, maybe switch it for Indigo.....but just a suggestion for future stuff when you run out of PG....

laudesan
09-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Brian is right, the power IS there..

I am pulling up a chair ..

Tunek
09-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Thanks a lot guys...

Ruth - the sky is working for me too, thanks for your your positive words, I really appreciate it...

Brian - thanks for your kind words, must try indigo some day (right now I haven't got many paints but when I'll buy some new stuff I must try Indigo too - I absolutelly love blue colors)

Thanks JJ, there's only one more stage to do and I'll see then if I like the outcome...if not I can start over again anyway...I must like it if I'll give it as a present...

I've posted in the Gallery also...it has a more loose feel to it...it was done in about 15 min:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298103

Thanks for looking,

ale.l
09-30-2005, 03:46 AM
Hello my friend,
That is SOME sky! It really is beatiful as everyone else said. There is power, there is mood, there is the granulation I like to see so much.
Sails and the brooding sky will be the focus which justifies your less detailed approach on the forefront water, which is ok. It will go perfectly with your signature in the bottom whitish area :)

Be careful with the sails and you have a winner there! Show us when it's complete.

Tunek
09-30-2005, 05:35 AM
Thanks, Ale, with all that positive feedback, I'm almost getting cold feet...can someone make a suggestion how NOT to mess up those sails? in the demo the sails look pretty much like the one on the sketch..well, maybe a little more detail...

painterbear
09-30-2005, 05:43 AM
Tunek,

This is looking terrific. When you put some shading in the sails and on the forms of the boats, this will be finished and really be a beautiful painting!

Your sky is great and the foreground doesn't need any more detail than you have. Try to use some of the green in the boats too so it isn't isolated.

Ditto to what Brian said about using Indigo in future paintings. Payne's gray is fine for making value studies, but Indigo has much more pizzazz in it.

Sylvia

robynsin
09-30-2005, 07:51 AM
Powerful, beautiful sky. Those yachts better be racing for home!
Good luck with your watercolours - I keep thinking they are too hard - but they are also too beautiful!

robyn

Tunek
09-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks Robyn...it sure is hard...This is my 5th or 6th painting in Watercolor and I have much, much more to learn...but that sky is really working for me....

Take care,

Tunek
10-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Ok, here is the final result...as you can see (I see it that way, anyway...) it blew back in my face big time...as a beginner I don't know how to control my paints, water, brush, etc...I don't like the biggest boat, 'cause everything just went beserk when I applied them paints...Now I'm in a state of "stale-mate" where I'm "off-the hook" but can't move...What I'm trying to say is, the painting I've finished is not nearly as good as I imagined, and I don't know if I should give it to my mum for her birthday or not. Should I try to paint another? Haven't got much time though...it must be mated and framed until friday this week! I'm desperate for some suggestions...If it's good enough, what kind of frame would you suggest?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2005/61471-wetcmam2.jpg

laudesan
10-03-2005, 01:56 AM
I think your painting is lovely. I do think the larger yacht is a bit ......you know......... ;)

Hey itis only paper, why don't you paint another one, and choose the best of the two for your Mum..:)

T Christensen
10-03-2005, 02:05 AM
Tunek....sorry you feel this way , I personally think its Great , Big Time . I like the green boat , brings it in closer and explains the green in the water . You should be proud ..you did good . One thing you have to do before you decide , put a mat on IT!!!! It will look totally different to ya . But JJ's right , wouldn't hurt to try again ........TerryC

Tunek
10-03-2005, 02:36 AM
Thanks guys, it sure relieves me a bit to read your posts...Maybe I'm dissapointed because it looks different as the book suggested...it's nice overall, but I wish the bigger yacht would be a little better...the brown color flowed totally different as I wanted...painting it again sounds good, but I've so little time (baby and all...:) ), so I'm afraid I'll run out of it...but it's definetly worth a try...what kind of mat (frame) would you suggest? I was thinking a black wooden frame would do just fine...

JJ, Terry thanks a bunch :)

laudesan
10-03-2005, 03:23 AM
I didn't realise you had been painting this from an art book. Don't fret over it not being the same, you don't want it the same anyway.

This is your painting!!

Tunek
10-03-2005, 03:34 AM
Oh, yes...how (or with) do I sign the painting...I was thinking a simple A. Lang with a pencil in the bottom right corner a little over the blue...

laudesan
10-03-2005, 03:50 AM
I sign my paintings with Gel pen.. Acid Free..

If this aintign is from an art book, you need to write After............ and the name of the person who originally painted it..

You can sign left or right, some folks make sure there is a dark patch on one or the other side and sign with a white gel pen or white paint..

It is all personal preference, but make sure you use a pen ..... nit a pencil or it might come off or fade.. :)

painterbear
10-03-2005, 04:51 AM
Tunek,

Your painting may not have turned out the way you had it in your mind (they seldom do ;)), but it turned out very nicely. I think your mother will be delighted to receive it as a gift.

I would sign it in the lower right corner (but be sure to be far enough in from the edges so it won't be covered by the mat). I use a script (rigger) brush and sign with one of the colors I used in the painting.

Use at least a 3" wide mat all around—white would be nice. A black wood frame would complement it as you were planning to use.

Well done, especially since you haven't been painting long with watercolors.

Sylvia

laudesan
10-03-2005, 05:06 AM
Oh yes good point Sylvia, I also forgot to mention that I use a 4 inch double mat for all my paintings no matter what size they are..:)

Tunek
10-03-2005, 05:06 AM
Thank you very much for your kind words, Sylvia...the more I look at it the more I like it, maybe I'm getting used to it somehow...I too was thinking of a wide white mat...a black wooden frame looks like a good choice, I'll know best when I compare the painting to different frames anyway...Thanks again,

ale.l
10-03-2005, 05:54 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2005/17217-wetcmam2.jpg

What do you say now :)

I think it's a beatiful piece. The sky is impeccable and any errors you may think you have on the yachts are not evident to us who aren't comparing it to the reference. Remember that. This stands alone and will be viewed alone, unless you plan to give your mother a picture of the original painting so she can compare :D

I would love to see the reference painting just to satisfy my curiosity why the author left a white band of water between the sky and the "colored" sea. Is that supposed to be froth or sun glare? Perhaps you shouldn't fiddle with that now - it can pass because the rest of the sea is done loose.

Looking at it again, it works really, it does. Loose and fresh. Leaves something for the eye of the viewer. The thing is to know WHERE TO STOP, isn't it.

Tunek
10-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks a lot, Ale...sure appreciate your kind words...I'm not showing my mother the original! LOL...I think I said before, that "the white area is left out to connect the boats with the water" - not sure what it means, though...

Thanks again Ale, and take care...

seedy
10-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Hi.....

I think "ale" said it best.....it stands alone....
If you do another one, it's my opinion that something else, somewhere else, will not be the way you like it....

For some reason or another....we've talked about this before....there is always a little or large band of white to separate the shore line from the water....
To put it another way, imagine the painting without it...

Well done and thanks for WIP

Tunek
10-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Thank you very much Brian...if it wasn't for Ale, I wouldn't post this at all...I'm glad I did, though...got a lot of positive feedback and a lot of great advice...the green sailboat (which is "off") is green like Sylvia suggested, that it isn't isolated...great tip!

capricorne
10-04-2005, 07:10 AM
A wonderful WIP and a beautiful painting Tunek!

Tunek
10-04-2005, 07:57 AM
Thank you very much capricorne, I really appreciate it! I admire your work, so this means a lot to me...

Take care,