PDA

View Full Version : First attempt - abstract

artdude
01-17-2002, 04:15 PM
Hi gang :) This is my first time in this forum. I was having quite an artists block and someone suggested to me to try abstracts to get my creativity going again. I normailly work in graphite and black ink because of my color-blindness. This is a whole new world to me so don't be surprised if you see some wierd color combinations in my work. I am really enjoying this color thing. Here is my first attempt at colored inks. The base colors used are: yellow, turquoise and purple. Done on wet 140lb cold press watercolor paper.

PS: I also have a question about the watercolor paper. I have a hard time getting it to stay flat. I've tried to press it with something heavy and also taped it down while it dries. I still get a bit of warping. Any ideas?? Thanks :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2002/cosmic1.jpg
Titled: Cosmic Explosions Size 7" X 10"

dnip24
01-17-2002, 09:29 PM
Pretty Good attempt!

RWeller
01-17-2002, 10:09 PM
Hey I like this a lot, nice colors.

artdude
01-18-2002, 11:55 AM
THANKS for your comments dnip24, RWeller :D

VictoriaS
01-18-2002, 04:47 PM
Go to the watercolor forum, and people will be happy to help you re: stretching paper.

Victoria

hlee
01-18-2002, 05:47 PM
lovely colours... good compositional balance ... quicky question: how did you achieve that interesting bubbly(?) effect with the green?

as for the watercolour paper warping: immerse yr paper in water and spread/ stretch it out onto a drawing board... tape the edges on all four sides and let dry before using... should help...

artdude
01-19-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by hlee
lovely colours... good compositional balance ... quicky question: how did you achieve that interesting bubbly(?) effect with the green?

Thanks hlee :) The "bubbly" effect was achieved by sprinkling a bit of table salt on the wet ink and then brushed off when dry.

as for the watercolour paper warping: immerse yr paper in water and spread/ stretch it out onto a drawing board... tape the edges on all four sides and let dry before using... should help...

Thanks for the tip. I have tried that but I think I might have gotten impatient and removed the tape before it was totally dry.

bgreenaker
01-19-2002, 03:46 PM
:D I really like it :clap: :clap: :clap: Please, can we have some more ?:cool:

CarlyHardy
01-19-2002, 05:23 PM
If you paint exceptionally wet into wet, you might like to try the 300# paper. You could also use yupo paper, which is a polyester type of paper that never buckles! I have a demo using the yupo on the intro page to the abstract forum.

carly

artdude
01-19-2002, 06:10 PM
Thank you very much "b-lansing" :)

I'll try that paper and also look into your tutorial (demo) Carly :)

Thanks again to everyone who has commented. I was really nervous about posting this here because this is all so foreign to me. Hope to post more soon :D

Wayne Gaudon
01-20-2002, 07:28 AM
I stretched watercolor paper like this. Sometimes, I hear it still buckels but it didn't for me.

1. Get a good solid piece of board 1/2 inch or better
2. Soak your paper in the bathtup for a minuite or two till soaking wet
3. Hold paper up and let it drip out
4. Lightly wipe excess water off paper
5. Put on board and tape edges all the way around
6. Let dry
7. Apply Paint
8. Let Dry
9. Remove from board