PDA

View Full Version : Bull Terrier Completed

Crias
01-17-2002, 04:04 PM
Here is my finished grinning bully. He is completed in scratchboard. The top picture shows more detail, but the bottom picture is the actual composition

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2002/bullterrier2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2002/bullterriersm.jpg

It is 11"x9" and took about 3 hours to complete.

Wayne Gaudon
01-17-2002, 04:57 PM
.. that's cool, I'll bet Don Cherry would love it.

dnip24
01-17-2002, 09:36 PM
Pretty pictures!

Crias
01-17-2002, 11:12 PM
Thanks Diana and Artist! I love scratchboard :)

greencook
01-18-2002, 09:41 AM
Wow Crias,
Very 3D! :) I've never seen scratchboard done in such detail before. You've done a fantastic job.
You'll have to show us more of your scratchboard work.

Have a great day!

Abu Haidar
01-21-2002, 11:55 PM
Hi Crias..

So so.. amazing. His unique face... hmmm
What is scratchboard... looks so interesting

Abu Haidar

Crias
01-22-2002, 01:34 PM
Abu: Scratchboard is a medium where there is a thin black layer of paint sprayed over the top of clayboard or heavy white paper. You then use an exacto or other sharp point and scratch through the black layer to the white below. It is similar to reverse ink, but you have less control (stipple stlye is not really possible w/ scratchboard).

Greencook: Thanks for your nice comments. I have posted quite a few of my scratchboards on this forum over the last year, but you can view more of them on my web page at: www.cathrinesheeter.i8.com Most of them are in the wildlife part of my galleries.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Abu Haidar
01-22-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Crias
Abu: Scratchboard is a medium where there is a thin black layer of paint sprayed over the top of clayboard or heavy white paper. You then use an exacto or other sharp point and scratch through the black layer to the white below. It is similar to reverse ink, but you have less control (stipple stlye is not really possible w/ scratchboard).

Hmmm it sounds so interesting technic.. So, how do u make the sketch or pre-painting image ?

Crias
01-23-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Abu Haidar

Hmmm it sounds so interesting technic.. So, how do u make the sketch or pre-painting image ?

I do my original sketch onto a piece of paper, and then transfer the outlines to the scratchboard. The pencil lines show up on the scratchboard to use as reference, however they can not be erased, so you had better have the rough sketch the way that you want it in advance. In the long run the pencil lines get scratched out, so they are not visable.

You can see how I progressed on an earlier thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29698 where my pencil guide lines are still visable.

rollow
01-26-2002, 06:39 PM
This was done in colored pencil on 1/4" ash panel.

Calleorange
01-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Crias,
From one scratcher to another, I'd say you've done quite well. I like how it looks as if its going to jump off the page.
Keep it up!!!!
Miles

Christie
01-26-2002, 09:07 PM
I love bullies! We used to run our beagles at the farm of a bull terrier breeder and there were always a few bullies running with the beagles. They are amazingly strong animals (even the mini-bulls).

You have really done justice to the breed with this piece of work.

ironhorse
01-27-2002, 10:07 AM
You did a great job. It can be very hared to get this angle to look right. The forshortining can kill a drawing. But you pulled it off!
Way to go.
Twyla

Crias
01-27-2002, 02:39 PM
Thanks for your great comments Twyla, Christie and Miles. I really appreciate you taking the time to post comments :)

gleninca
01-31-2002, 07:10 AM
Fabulous, laughing Bully:)
gleninca