PDA

View Full Version : WIP-Tea: Art Spectrum-8"x10" Rembrandts-Cretacolor Pencils

Nicoclaus
09-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Started this one the other day, still have alot to do on it before it's finished.
About a couple of hours of work put into it sofar.
I was hoping to work on it today, but I've had a bad allergy day today(ragweed) and pretty much been sneezing all day, so hopefully tomorrow I'll get to work on it;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2005/50336-Tea_Lady_big_1_small.jpg
And a closeup...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2005/50336-Tea_Lady_big_1_closeup_smal.jpg

khourianya
09-28-2005, 11:25 PM
I LOVE the look on her face! I'll be back to see the big finish on this one!

Orchidacea
09-29-2005, 12:01 AM
This is a riot! Great job on the face--wow!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Dark_Shades
09-29-2005, 12:38 AM
LOL ........ what a great face................ where on earth did you find her

Love It!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

chewie
09-29-2005, 12:53 AM
what kind of painting is this--and expressionist?!! hahaha!! this is great, like you just told her something REEEALLYy juicy!! so fun!! i see a line around it, are you planning to make a 'frame' then let some of the image explode over the edges? that'd fun too, add to the feeling of it all. yup, gotta watch this one!!

lindadavis
09-29-2005, 09:52 AM
How do you not laugh while working on this? It's great! Is it for a specific occasion, or just for fun? It'd make a great illustration.

Alisa
09-29-2005, 11:06 AM
this is wonderful LOL! Love it, every time I look at it I laugh. Alisa

cherylleclairsommer
09-29-2005, 12:22 PM
This is such a great face and you have depicted it with precision. Wonderful.:clap:

John B
09-29-2005, 02:39 PM
What a great expression, someone must have put the tea in the cup before the milk! lol. Just love the whole concept. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Very impressed

John

Bringer
09-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Hi,

I'll be looking forward to another great work.
I've put your Red Pear as my desktop background and it's great. Have you tried it ?
Are you going to use the sneezing as a fixative for your pastels ? :-)

Regards,

Josť

Mikki Petersen
09-29-2005, 04:01 PM
What the heck is in that tea cup?????? You are doing brilliantly so far!

Mikki

Nicoclaus
09-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Thank you all :) :) :wave:
You're too kind :)

chewie: I don't think I'm planning to make a 'frame' then let some of the image explode over the edges, like you wrote, but great idea. Thanks
I had drawn the lines/frame too make sure it would fit inside an 8"x10" opening of a 11"x14" matte, so it'll properly be the top of the hair that'll be cropped. ;)

lindadavis: She puts a smile on my face every time I work on it. :)
I hoping to sell it to a woman here that owns and runs a tearoom, we'll see.

Bringer: :o Thank you! for using it as your desktop background :) :wave:
I don't plan on using the sneezing as a fixative, lol :) at least not on purpose

1mpete: There's nothing in the cup at the moment :eek: :D but I don't think that's why she has that look on her face :) hehe

Again, Thank you all, hope that I don't dissapoint you with the final one ;)

I worked several hours on it this afternoon and I'm kind of working my way down, next I'll tweak the chin and continue on the pearls.
That is if you guys think the face and hair looks done ;)

Here's the update...

Nicoclaus
09-29-2005, 08:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2005/50336-Tea_Lady_big_2_small.jpg

Nicoclaus
09-29-2005, 08:54 PM
A close-up...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2005/50336-Tea_Lady_big_2_closeup_smal.jpg

Orchidacea
09-29-2005, 08:56 PM
I just can't look at this without laughing! It's absolutely grand!

ponting
09-29-2005, 09:11 PM
This is looking fantastic Nic.....and what a loss for her if the owner of the tea shop doesn't purchase it!! Such a conversation piece it would make.
I applaud your work, your approach and your insight into knowing how great a painting this would make. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers, Dianna

tURBOCAT
09-29-2005, 09:15 PM
This is toooo much fun!!!

CM Neidhofer
09-29-2005, 10:37 PM
This is just wonderful! To me, she looks like she just heard the most juiciest piece of gossip she's ever heard in her life!! lol Great!!!:clap: :clap:

Christine

Nicoclaus
10-02-2005, 03:05 AM
Again been too busy, but finally had time today to work on it again, spend several hours on it. Still have to do some final tweaking, I guess.
I hate painting hands, they're so difficult IMO :eek: ;)
Not sure I want to paint pearls or hands again, maybe if they're(the pearls) alot bigger.

Orchidacea: Thank you:) I'm glad it makes you laugh :)

ponting: Thank you so much for your comments! :) :wave:
It would be a nice conversation piece, so I hope she buys it, if not maybe one of her customers will? ;)

tURBOCAT & christyart: Thank you :) :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2005/50336-Tea_Lady_big_3_small.jpg

Dark_Shades
10-02-2005, 04:25 AM
Cant believe I missed the updates to this........... still intrigued.......... did you draw this from your imagination?

*Deirdre*
10-02-2005, 08:24 AM
The person she reminds me of most is the late Hylda Baker! It's her to a tea! :evil:
Well drawn! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Orchidacea
10-02-2005, 09:47 AM
The hands, like the rest of it, are fantastic! Okay, maybe the fingers on her right hand are a little off--but not much. I just love this. That face!

Let us know if she buys it. She'd be silly not to!

prestonsega
10-02-2005, 11:33 AM
You got my vote!! This one is a winner....and bound to be the #1 crowd pleaser wherever it is shown!!!

ponting
10-03-2005, 01:43 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cat:

Mikki Petersen
10-03-2005, 01:45 AM
I'm with Diana...Bravo! Encore! What a terrific piece!

Mikki

E-J
10-03-2005, 06:16 AM
This is hilarious!! The texture of the hair is great and presumably is where you made the most use of the Cretacolor pencils?

What I'm wondering is how you keep the masking tape from tearing the Art Spectrum paper? It's my favourite surface, but tape tears it so easily.

KJSCL
10-03-2005, 08:04 PM
What a hoot!. That is the best expression I've seen on a portrait. Great work!

Alisa
10-03-2005, 08:23 PM
and a fantastic finish! I hope you don't mind, she is my desktop pic now. Alisa

meowmeow
10-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Super! You have captured that expression amazingly well. Excellent job! Have yourself a cup of tea!

Sandy

ctmobitz
10-03-2005, 09:33 PM
This is such a great piece.....she is beautiful.....her eyes say a million words !!!

Great job...

Claude

Nicoclaus
10-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Thank you so much everybody! :) :wave: :) :wave:
It's was a fun piece to do, well except for the pearls and the hands, it got kind of frustrating some times ;)
I will frame it later tonight.

E-J: I really didn't use the pencils much on the hair, I used the edge of the soft pastels. I used the pencils mostly on the eyes and pearls.
I really don't have any problems with the masking tape tearing the paper.
I put tape on all 4 sides, but only half, maybe less than half on the edge of it and then I pull it slowly of when I'm done with the painting;)

Alisa: You can have her on your destop as long as you want, I'm flattered :D :) Thanks

meowmeow:Thanks! :wave: I'm not a big tea drinker myself, unless I have a cold, I prefer coffee:)

Again, Thank you all :0) I will let you guys know if she buys it.

Fort Meyer
10-09-2005, 02:48 AM
The title on this lovely piece should be somthing like, "She's What!" or, "A Juicy Little Tidbit With Tea"

Hehehe ... great portrait.

Bringer
10-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi,

Your work is awsome in two aspects : technically and expressionally (does this word exists ?) .
Having a tea house and not wanting to buy something like this would be like shooting one's own foot.
You talk about hands. Indeed they're difficult. I've never even tried. The only thing I could say is that maybe - and it's a real maybe - you should check her right hand and see if she needs wrinkles or texture on that hand. However these would have to be almost not noticeable. Look at a person's hands with more or less the same age and in that position. But maybe they're ok just like this. What do you think ?

Best regards,

Josť

Nicoclaus
10-10-2005, 01:56 AM
Fort Meyer: Thanks! :)
I like that, "She's What!", that's a perfect title for it.

Bringer: Thank you so much :wave: :) Good suggetion about the hands, but it's already framed and is hanging in the Tearoom for sale, the owner didn't buy it :confused: , so I was a little dissapointed, but maybe someone else will :wink2: . She did ask me for more paintings(still lifes) to hang there for sale. She said she liked it and that it was a fun painting. Oh well ;)

Orchidacea
10-10-2005, 11:42 AM
I can't believe she didn't buy it. Silly woman! Someone will find it as charming as we do, and snap it up. Do you have a business card on it, so people can contact you to commission portraits from you? I would think you'd be good at that.

*Deirdre*
10-10-2005, 11:57 AM
I think I would be tempted to send some friends in to specifically talk about the painting in her hearing! :evil: That might spurr her on! :D