PDA

View Full Version : Pastel packing foam

artist_pw
09-28-2005, 03:04 AM
Hi:

I've been thinking about trying some memory foam to insulate pastels for travelling. Has anyone tried that? I thought it seems like it would form easily over the little bits of pastel and keep them from shifting. I haven't seen any loose sheets of this like other types of seemingly less pliable foam, but I have seen thinner mattess toppers that look like likely candidates, and I think I've seen pillows with the foam too. If I don't hear from anyone, and I give it a try, I'll let you know how it goes.

Artistammy
09-28-2005, 10:10 AM
I considered different kinds of insulators when I adapted my box. This sounds interesting...I wonder if it's acid free.
Tammy

Bill Foehringer
09-28-2005, 11:15 AM
I use low loft quilting filler doubled over. Not cotton, polyester I think. I used a fabric spray adhesive to fasten it to the lids of my pastel trays or the bottom of the tray that stacks on top and also to adhere the two layers of fabric to each other.
It's cheap and can be scraped off when it gets too dusty. BillF

khourianya
09-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Memory foam sounds like it would work just fine. I just use thin upholstery foam and really like it. I lucked out and got a huge roll of it for next to nothing a couple of weeks ago so have been lining everything :D

Orchidacea
09-28-2005, 12:25 PM
These are all great ideas. Right now I'm using paper towels with bubble wrap on top. I'm going to have to visit some fabric stores and see what I can find.