PDA

View Full Version : Split Primary Liquitex

yellowjkt01
09-28-2005, 12:44 AM
I have read all the controversy regarding the split primary theory, and let me say that I am not attempting re-visit any of these past threads. My question is simply this; does anybody have any experience with the split primary system, using Liquitex paints? What hues did you use for the "Cool" & "Warm" primaries? Any input specifically relevant to Liquitex brand would be helpful.

Thanks

Richard Saylor
09-28-2005, 01:51 AM
There is not, nor ever has been (that I know of) any controversy about the split primary palette per se. There was a disagreement over a claim made by a popular author about the gamut of the split primary palette, which was finally resolved more-or-less amicably in the Color Theory/Mixing Forum when the author was presented with the facts.

I enjoy using the following split-primary palette, which seems to work very well, even with greens (which are the most likely to suffer from a palette which omits green :) ). Going clockwise around the color wheel:

Yellow Medium Azo
Yellow Light Hansa
Pthalo Blue Green Shade
Ultramarine Blue
Quinacridone Magenta
Naphthol Red Light

Richard

Einion
09-28-2005, 08:06 AM
My question is simply this; does anybody have any experience with the split primary system, using Liquitex paints? Using Liquitex paints no, but I used a palette based around split primaries for years and it's a good basis for practical painting. It works regardless of brand.

What hues did you use for the "Cool" & "Warm" primaries? Any input specifically relevant to Liquitex brand would be helpful. Yellow Light Hansa
Cadmium Yellow Medium
Cadmium Red Light
Quinacridone Magenta
Phthalocyanine Blue (Green Shade)
Ultramarine Blue (Red Shade)

You can vary the choices in a few areas, concentrating on transparency or opacity for both yellows and a synthetic organic red in place of the Cad Red Light for example, but these two blues are the best pairing without question.

Einion