PDA

View Full Version : Vase and Grapes

waljoh70
09-27-2005, 10:11 PM
This is a still life I set up at my brother-in-laws house and photgraphed (my paints were at home, and I doubt the in-laws would have liked me making a mess in their dining room).
I have included the reference photo as well.
C&C are appreciated.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/55984-Vase_and_Grapes_cropped.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/55984-Vase__Grapes.jpg 16X20 Acrylic on Canvas

Thanks

3chaway9
09-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi John,
this setup is very nice...the colours are great..and you have done really well.... if you want to paint an exact representation of the ref.pic....as you asked for C&C lol...i see the front container is a bit shallower than the pic. as is the candle....only if you want to move them though...as the painting is lovely the way it is.... the colours you have are perfect.

chaz
09-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Nice painting John. As caroline said, the colors are great and the composition is fine. My Crit since you asked is in the container that holds the flpwers. In the ref the darker spiral bands are flat. In your painting the bands appeared to be raised with narrow groves between them. this effect is due to the very narrow line between the bands and the fact that the left eedge of the pot seems to be convex on the bands instead of a straight line from top to bottom. However this efffect does not detract from the painting. If I had not seen the ref, I would not have commented on this. So I would fix that if you really wanted an exact photorealistic effect.

I think you have done an excellent job here. Congrats.

Chuck

PS. Great job on the flowers and leaves. Great color.

CC

TxAggieDarlin
09-28-2005, 12:10 PM
mmmmm mmmmm wonderful!!!
Great picture and wonderful painting!!!

Nitsa
09-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Firstly, well done on a wonderful still life set up and photograph, it's beautiful!

I think you did a wonderful job painting this ref. :clap:
The only part that stands out to me is the table cloth, it seems a little bright in colour and I quite like it's subtle tones in the ref ...but that's just personal choice and the orange goes very well with the blues you added into the background.

waljoh70
09-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Caroline and Chuck, Thanks for the critique. I will have a closer look at the painting when I get home (at work right now on lunch). If you think that the painting "works" as is I think I will let is stand alone and hide the reference photo (LOL) - I am afraid to make a change that might ruin the painting.

THanks TxAggieDarlin

Anita, I struggled with the Colour of the table cloth a bit. I really wanted to catch the warmth of the scene as I remembered it when I took the photo. I think also their may have been a difference in the photo. I used an old 13" colour tv and a dvd player that reads jpeg's as the reference (worked well until the kids wanted to watch Shrek!). But I have read that there is a difference in reading colours that are projected (tv) vs reflected (pics/real life).

Well I should get back to work, thanks.

Leslie Pz
09-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Very nicely set up. Love the colors. If I had one suggestion, my eye seeks a tad bit more contrasts in the flowers; they seem to be in sort of a line, in the painting and less like the cluster in the ref. BUT, that's just a small suggestion and something to observe for the next time.
-Les

jan409
09-28-2005, 06:52 PM
This is good, I am not a still life fan, but this one I like. Jan409

ramsgirl
09-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Beautiful....Can I use the photo to paint me a picture??I usually do people but have been looking for something to paint that is a still life. Thanks Angela McAllister Ozark Mountains

ramsgirl
09-28-2005, 06:57 PM
I really am a crappy photographer....hehe.

waljoh70
09-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Thank-you Jan

Angela, go ahead and use the photo, please post your finished painting.

Thanks

Godzoned
09-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Nicely done.
Very renassaance (sp?)