PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky bum time! First Commission

spearmintjoe
09-27-2005, 04:06 PM
My first commission. I was contacted after the buyer saw me peddling my wares on ebay. We agreed a price (pretty low) which I said would include P&P, then discovered the buyer's in the US - Doh! Ah, ya live 'n learn.
Not sure if I enjoyed the experience - pretty nerve racking and felt as if I had to paint rather than wanted to. Buyer was happy with photos though, which was a bit of a buzz.
12x10" on Canvas C&C welcome (but it's too late for me to change it now!)

Leslie Pz
09-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Excellent! You did a great job. The face is well captured! You know that, already because you client is thrilled.

Glad for the commission. The low price is a bummer but it's also building a reputation. Eventually, the prices will be higher.

I am with you. Started off doing commissions and now am not too thrilled to do them. Lots of pressure and it takes the fun out of painting. Setting up something interesting to me (at the moment), painting and then selling is far more fun and stimulating!!!

Cheer up! Pump them out and it will pay off!
-Les

3chaway9
09-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Great painting....

bullyluvver
09-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Great picture! I do a lot of BT work but have stopped doing commissions for the exact reason Les just pointed out! It's more fun to do it your own way.

Gail

Nitsa
09-27-2005, 05:54 PM
CONGRATULATIONS on the commission and the results...Wonderful! :clap:
Especially like how you handled his tongue.

I did much the same thing with a pastel commission once, agreed a price and included postage...the postage was to Canada and cost me 40 :eek:

I enjoy commissions, at times they challenge me to paint things I otherwise wouldn't take an interest in, although I do remember feeling quite nervous about my first I was also excited. My advice is....If you don't enjoy the process, don't do it, art should be enjoyed. In saying that, I would certainly give it another try, your first was always going to be your most worrying. ;)

JanB
09-27-2005, 11:33 PM
You've caught the personality that's for sure!! What a great piece, nice choice for the background too!!

bjcpaints
09-28-2005, 10:33 AM
You've caught the personality that's for sure!! What a great piece, nice choice for the background too!!

I agree! I also agree that its good to challenge yourself to paint something you might not choose yourself. Art is to be enjoyed but it can also be a learning process. I guess it depends on your own background and where you are at in your art endeavors now. Also, for me it is a part time job so I do expect $ from it. It has not sucked the joy out of it for me at all (yet), but I only paint animals because that is what I truly enjoy.
Barbara

Dewi
09-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Very cute dog yes it's a very good tougue, very good background too...love it.