PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Let's shoot pool!

devotedmomof7
09-27-2005, 02:08 PM
I am continuing to try various options for my son's pool room. I like this, but think it needs something more....

ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED.

Cheryl

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/55469-POOL_SCENE.jpg

Granny R
09-27-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure what your looking for exactly but I am thinking a rack of pool cues on the wall instead of what an impression of a painting. I love the perspective !!
Ruth

pampe
09-27-2005, 04:11 PM
the perspective is so kool

It seems like the BG should be all fuzzy or all defined...they way it is seems confusing

T Christensen
09-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Its cool but I think Ruth is right ..some vertical cue sticks would give it a little more finish .....good job on the perspective and love the style ....TerryC

devotedmomof7
09-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Thank you for the ideas and input. In addition, my mom and husband say that the guy needs more face. I'm going to work on adding the pool rack and some more facial features and will repost. I just keep debating about the COLOR of the background, too. Is it too close to the colors in the man? Or does that ground him to the background. I was thinking of maybe going with more of the blues, but thought he might get pasted on looking with a starker contrast.

Thank you,

Cheryl

T Christensen
09-28-2005, 09:42 AM
I would darken his shadows on his face using the blue gray..don't do his features ....treat only the shadows on the left side to form a suggestion of features and make sure the lights are showing from the light above him ....easy for me to say :)....TerryC

NodakerDeb
09-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Cheryl, great perspective. I really like the 'look' you have here. It looks like you first did an underpainting than brought your lights up from the darks. I wouldn't put too much detail in the face, but rather make more a difference in the tonal values. Also on the shirt area. YOu have a shadow on the front of his pants so carry this all the way up on the tummy area of his shirt and probably even darker under his neck. This will define the arm better. I wouldn't touch the background myself -- love the look as it is. I would tone the green down quite a bit.. a quin burnt orange wash? maybe, or a very dilute quin rose?

Deb

devotedmomof7
09-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Deb: The "order" of painting is one of the most difficult parts for me. I have not been able to continue lessons since late March or early April, and that's what I want to learn. Here is how I approached this painting. PLEASE tell me if it is wrong....
#1. I painted a light yellow underpainting on the balls.
#2. I painted any highlights on the balls, such as cobalt blue on the shine of the purple ball and perinone orange on the shine of the red ball.
#3. I painted the colors on the balls charging in colors and shadows.
#4. I painted Permanent Green Yellow (MaimeriBlu) all over the table and then covered the balls with paper templates and spattered/smeared the texture on the pool table with DS Sap Green (JUST GOT THIS AND LOVE IT!!)
#5. I painted the man's shadows.
#6. I painted his skin areas over the shadows.
#7. I painted the table edge while waiting for his skin to dry.
#8. I painted his clothes.
#9. I painted the background wall features loosely such as clock, frames, .... then quickly smeared them with a background wash adding in various colors as I went across.
#10. I refined edges around things while damp by charging in browns and such and added shadows to the balls more distinctly.

I would love input on how to attack this correctly.

Also, great suggestion about carrying the shadow up his shirt more. You can see I had it on the top part, but it looked too stark, so I rubbed some out. I think adding it underneath his arm like you said will match the top and pants...makes more sense. It will also carve out the arm better.

Cheryl

devotedmomof7
09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
By the way, in response to your suggestion of Quinacridone Burnt Orange....I just got my Daniel Smith Signature Sampler in (Quinacridone Burnt Orange/Cobalt Blue/Sap Green). I WILL RAVE ABOUT ALL THREE COLORS! That Sap Green is absolutely perfect and QBO will probably be my new favorite color of all time. Bye bye Burnt Sienna. Their Cobalt is so radiant, too. It really shines under that purple far better than Cerulean which I was using previously for that type of thing.

NodakerDeb
09-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Oh Cheryl, I am without question the worst person to consult regarding painting order. I don't know anything about it!! I pretty much paint how I think the painting should look and if it works out that's great, if not I turn the paper over. I really don't know what I'm doing, and have no formal way of painting. In fact, I tend to paint more like an oil painter than a watercolorist because I'm not afraid of using white, nor do I covet the transparent look in all of my paintings. I pretty much let the watercolor do its thing and work around it or call it happy accidents. The one area I do concentrate on though is trying to stick with transparent pigments so as to not make mud.

What I like so much about this painting of yours is that it does have that look of having started off on a 'toned' paper and then bringing your lights up. I could see this same painting done in gouache. Yummy!

One thing I have learned in my figure drawing class is to accentuate tonal values and gesture.

About those DS quins! To die for eh? I love QBO and seem to find a use for it in every painting :) DS had a promotion awhile back where Deep Quin. Gold was offered. What a fantastic color. I called them and asked if I could order more but you can only get it with that promotion. It really ticks me off when companies do that <grrrrr>. So I have my one tube which I only sparingly use. I want to use it with abandon! I am not a sap green fan <sorry>. A little too green for me. I do love, love, love, DS undersea green though. FUB and Quin gold makes a nice green also.

Deb

laudesan
09-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Cheryl this is super.

Absolutely love the perspective.

Don't add too much detail to his facem shadows is all thata re needed!!

The only thing that bothers me, is the white of the purple "over" ball it right against the white of the white ball..

It looks like you have two blacks too. :confused:
Your son is sooooo lucky to have you paint these for him!!!

devotedmomof7
09-28-2005, 10:18 PM
JJ: Yes, this pic does look like the 6 ball is black and the 8 ball is indigo. IRL the 8 ball looks black and the 6 ball is green. I need to work on it though, so when light is on it, it won't look wrong.

Cheryl

CharM
09-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Hi Cheryl... this is a terrific composition!!!

Firstly, there really isn't a right or wrong way to paint something... we all approach it differently... many artists will advise working from lightest to darkest in values... in fact, that's the accepted norm... except that, I recently read an article where the artist prefers to lay in his darks first! That sets the tone for the rest of his values... interesting to say the least...

Given the very interesting perspective of this piece, I feel that the line delineating his shirt is simply too hard... darkening the upper right hand quadrant in your background and losing the edge of that shirt into your background... similarly, you can blend the back of his hair into the background as well.

I manipulated your painting in Photopaint to illustrate what I mean... I also roughly added some shadows... on his clothes and the table...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2005/20514-55469-POOL_SCENE.jpg

Now... if you increase the strength of the facial shadows, you should be there!!!

Your son is going to absolutely LOVE this!!!

artdreamer1
09-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Love it!!! I, too, absolutely adore DS Quin. Burnt Orange--I only got the sampler a little while ago and have used it extensively in my Egyptian painting and in ALL of the notecards that I've been working on. Agree with all the suggestions(esp. Chars')...this is really going to be a fantastic painting! Lucky boy...

Michele

devotedmomof7
10-06-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to try and implement the suggestions that were given to me here.

JJ: I made the black ball "blacker" and the green ball "greener". Does it work?

Char: I tried to do all of your suggestions. The shadow under the arm keeps lifting instead of laying?!?!? Did I miss something?

NodakerDeb: I did a watery quin burnt orange wash over the table. It is a lot more apparent in real life than this photo, but it's close. The table is slighty more warm green IRL.

Pampe: I think I made the background more confusing by emphasizing the painting more, but yet it seems to look better IRL. I think it gives more balance to that side. What do you think? Distracting?

Terry: I darkened the side of face and barely touched the exact features...just some lips and eye sockets. ???

Michele: Thanks for commenting!

Any other suggestions? BTW I am going to fix the little confusion on the bottom right of the eight ball. It merges with dark green and makes it look mishapen. I'll fix it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2005/55469-POOL_SCENE_II.jpg
Cheryl

laudesan
10-06-2005, 07:49 PM
I think this is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can distinguish the two bals now, what I thought was the black is the green.:D

His face is perfect..

I like the blurry background..

What does your son think!!