PDA

View Full Version : The Pampa, rural scene. WIP

Jijo
09-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi all,
Nice to be here again,after some weeks of hard office work and short trips.
Experimenting new tips from a great workshop given by argentinian watercolor master Guillermo Roux, huge brushes, lots of sponge, waves of water, whole sheets, from that mess he get great results.
I took some pics while painting so here they are.

Started a simple subject, not pic ref, just a sketch to locate horizon line, and the detailed sectors I have to mask.
I used WN maskfluid, pure or mixed with water depending of the textures desired. Splashed some areas randomly (Nick lesson) but not white dots in mind ( NIckŽs prerrogative... LOL)

A farm, a barn, a water windmill, wire fences, large trees ( mostly eucalipus) and long views...

Painted on Fabriano disegno A5, 20 x 30", 140 lbs. WN artistic tubes.

stage 1 is just the sketch and basic washes over masked areas.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/7665-wip_22sep2005_000.jpg

step 2: a simple value scheme, I pick up some of the random masked dots between washes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/7665-wip_22sep2005_001.jpg

Bye for now, see you tomorrow at stept 3
alex

Exurban
09-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Wow, Alex, I love it so far - the washes of colour are great, the trees have a wonderful sense of depth. Can't wait til the next post! A question re adding water to the mask - I haven't done that - how much, and how does it affect the textures? I have been afreaid that I won't be able to get it off the paper!

Jijo
09-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Pat, thanks for commin, ref the mask water mix... as much as you like... did not have trouble removing it, the more fluid the mix, thinner glaces and thinner drops.
alex

seedy
09-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi Alex....
Did you mask out the trees in the first image and go over it with your sky and then take it off to paint the trees in the second photo?
Watching with interest....is there a site that we could see Guillermo Roux' work

Jijo
09-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi Brian, no, I just masked the houses and the cloud border on the left, trees were not masked,
The Guillermo Roux personal web is not longer available, a search at the web gives many links, I rescue this one cause it has some pics:
http://www.luisaugarte.com/asp/catalog.asp?Ver=1&ArtistaID=48
the page has many argentine artists as well, it belongs to an Art Dealer.

thanks for the comment.
alex

painterbear
09-28-2005, 07:36 AM
Looking good so far Alex. Great expanse of sky in your composition.

Looks like you enjoyed the workshop and learned new techniques.

Sylvia

KathyJB
09-28-2005, 09:13 AM
WOW Alex!!! Since I see in abstract...
I feel like it finished
very well done!!!
will be back for the finish

kat

Jijo
09-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks Sylvia, thanks Kat. Glad you liked it.

lets go ahead, third step, more and more glaces, removing mask dots in the meantime here and there, finally removed mask of the buildings to prepare to detailed sectors.
thanks again
alex

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2005/7665-wip_22sep2005_002.jpg

seedy
09-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi Alex....
So....what did you learn from the artist?....you mentioned something about bigger brushes once upon a time....cause his paintings would not seem to include landscapes....;-)
I ask this because I find that a good WIP has a good narrative......such as why you are doing the white dots etc....
I also realize that a WIP is not the same as a tutorial so "how to do" is not really required.
I mention these things because I'm always interested in how other artists in other parts of the world think about what they are doing...more so especially when the scene looks like something from the Ottawa Valley in Ontario, Canada.
Could you imagine what the "Masters" could have been typing into their computers back then.....apart from the price of good turpentine.....
" Hey Mich....painting that ceiling flat on your back....you must be crazy"
See ya,

Jijo
09-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Brian, youŽre right, I am telling "How", not "why", both are interesting I wish...LOL

Well, learned few but strong tips from Roux.
Amazing to see a master starting and finishing any work, he made it seem simple, no doubts, just passion and knowledge background is evident.
Interesting to see how he picks just part of the scene, the proper one always.
a strong sketch, few lines,
Tones, wet on wet.
Accents, remarking the volumes.
Values, define just four or five depending on the subject.
Enhancement, few details, keeping it simple, beein a child, inocent,

OK seems simple, common sense, but we always add some personal sins by the way. He always arrived safe, me not....

He always use a #22 brush, thin pointed, a huge amount of clean water (10 liters basket) big sponge and clean towel, he mix the colors on the paper.

About my work, my firsts attempts after the workshop were eclectic, not very comfortable with still live themes, then got back to origins but trying a looser style.

Do not expect a good narrative from me Brian, English is not my first language and I think in spanish, traslating is an effort...

As said, a comfortable landscape, low horizon, 1/3 focal point, greens and complementaries, quick sketch, tidy masked at the buildings and randomly at the greens, to allow the fat brush work freely.

Lets see how it developes..
Bye for now
alex

seedy
09-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Hi....
Thanks for filling me in Alex.....and the only Spanish I know is " Beer please "
Hows your French....;-)
Seems like your workshop was most interesting....hope you can use some of it....as always, its just a matter of painting a lot.
See you later.

Jijo
09-29-2005, 02:33 PM
going ahead, step four.
getting into details...

Not comfortable with composition, needs something to heavy the left side..
Thanks
Alex

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2005/7665-wip_22sep2005_003.jpg

seedy
09-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi.....
"Something on the left side"....Don't you wish you had put that windmill to the left?
Lots of power in this one.

Jijo
09-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi Brian, thanks, I though of putting it on the left, but I did not like it as the central point, and it would had been... now I am thinking on enhancing left sky a bit to make it more strong, but not much, tomorrow weŽll see,

Hahaha it is just betwen you and me?, IŽll PM you my next WIP, LOL
alex

painterbear
10-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Oh, no you don't Alex, I want to see how you solve the problem of the "light left" side too! ;)

If all else fails, you could do a crop up to where the trees and the clouds begin.

Except for that little "problem," the rest of the painting is beautiful. I like how the buildings and the windmill nestle into the trees rather than stand out as if they were pasted on. Very well done.

Sylvia

Jijo
10-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi Sylvia, thanks for following, IŽll post the finished on monday, amount of golf in the meantime, spring arrives, links are perfect!!!
alex

seedy
10-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Hi....
Spring arrives in South America........and in Canada summer goes....along with the golf...Boo hoo...
Did you break 80? ...90?

Jijo
10-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Hi Brian, and Sylvia, and any other...
Shot 83 windy, three putted four holes, but great irons...

Finnal step, not signed yet for if better ideas come this week.
worked on the lefty sky, darkened right forest, roughly details on the buildings.
Overall view is OK, just OK, not WOW, tidy but not smashing, ... looking for more.
some cropped shots cause as it is big there is a lot not seen on the 500 pix picture.
Thanks for your company.
ALex
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2005/7665-wip_22sep2005_004.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2005/7665-wip_22sep2005_006.jpg

seedy
10-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi....
83....now that's fun. Curling starts tomorrow!
And so is the painting....that sky is really impressive and the foreground very dramatic.
The left side is'nt too bad IMO. Just wish that windmill could have been more visible.
Just a thought.....
Why not re-do....I know, but....as the saying goes," if you find a good nail.....pound it."
Leave all the farm as is, but swing the trees to the left and have the windmill projecting up into those wonderful skies. Qui?...Non?

In any case thanks for the WIP

painterbear
10-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Alex,

Your additions of the clouds on the left side have helped to balance the composition very nicely.

I love the way the buildings look in your closeup. It really is difficult to see that marvelous kind of detail when the picture is compressed to such a small size.

Thanks for showing us your steps. Have fun golfing.

Sylvia