PDA

View Full Version : Mount McKinley's Top!

Charlie's Mum
09-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Canvas, 12x10".
Pic #1 is the underpainting, pic#2 is the finished piece ........ under 2 hours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/30494-Mount_Mckinley_2_-_use.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/30494-Mount_Mckinley_scanned_72dpi.jpg

You may detect the join where I scanned and stitched - sorry - light was bad for photos!

artjunkie101
09-27-2005, 12:55 PM
The finished work is lovely, but I think the underpainting is pretty cool too. It has a fun expressionist quality (which also comes out nicely in the finished piece). Great job!

Anita Murphy
09-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Maureen - I like them both! You should redo the underpainting as a painting in its own right. I love the colours! Great loose strokes, mmmmmmm, I like!!!

chaz
09-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Maureen, both images are great. Actually, I kind of k\lean toward the underpainting myself, but the finished piece is just as great.

Also did not detect any "Join lines" on either image.

Chuck

alfredart
09-27-2005, 01:04 PM
I have to agree, the underpainting is really great on it's own as is the finished piece. Good knife work indeed and the colors are fantastic. Burrrrrrrrr, looks cold for sure.

Peace,
AL

3chaway9
09-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Great stuff Maureen.........well done.....BTW....'scanned and stitched'....????

Does that mean you scanned half of the painting because the canvas was larger than the scanner...and then did the other half?....and then brought them together in PSP or similar?....and if so...do you have a mark or something to make sure it meets at the right place? just me fishing....lol.

Nitsa
09-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Maureen it beautiful and I must be the odd one out because I like the 2nd image best.
I especially like the sky colours you chose, adds that much needed strip of warmth to the whole. Such interesting whites!

Charlie's Mum
09-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Many thanks everyone!
I rather liked the u/painting too, but felt there was too much warmth for the icy top of Alaska! Maybe I should be braver!!!!!!

Al, glad you could see my use of the knife ..... it's great fun at times!

Anita - glad you could detect all the colours in the whites! (You should see the 'white' in my current one!) :wink2:

Great stuff Maureen.........well done.....BTW....'scanned and stitched'....????

Does that mean you scanned half of the painting because the canvas was larger than the scanner...and then did the other half?....and then brought them together in PSP or similar?....and if so...do you have a mark or something to make sure it meets at the right place? just me fishing....lol.

Caroline, that is exactly what I do! I use PSP8 - it's best to resize to 72dpi first as it's heavy on memory and sometimes slow @ 300dpi - but if I want it at a high res for elsewhere, I just have to put up with it crashing sometimes!
Also have to do some cropping on the one you'll be copying/pasting because if there are any variations in the colours, it'll be down the edge (at least that's what I've found).
Just holler if you need more info :D

Nitsa
09-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Anita - glad you could detect all the colours in the whites! (You should see the 'white' in my current one!)

Where??? Is there a link? I wanna peek!

Lady Carol
09-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Maureen: interesting. I would never have thought to wack all those colours in the underpainting. I am certainly impressed by this. It is nice and loose too.

Bertoni
09-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Maureen:
The underpainting is an expressionist feat on it's own for sure!!! :clap:
But the fiinish has an icy, snowy feeling that's equallly fine! Nice work!!

Margaret 59
09-27-2005, 09:52 PM
I must admit to liking them both too Maureen even though the second one seems truer colourwise.

Charlie's Mum
09-28-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks guys!
The ref, Margaret, was actually all pale greys! It's in last w'end's WDE in AMAE forum, under 'Images Here' - a sticky, if you want to take a peek in this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296861) .

Anita - have uploaded a progress image to this months Ac. Project ......... it'll be here (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50246)

Carol - I'm thinking of going for really bold underpaintings in some work - certainly get's rid of the white!

Lady Carol
09-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Carol - I'm thinking of going for really bold underpaintings in some work - certainly get's rid of the white!

Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Give us a peek when you do. Yeah! that pesky white really has to go ;)

Charlie's Mum
09-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Hey Carol - now there's an idea for a project :evil: .............

Lady Carol
09-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Hey Carol - now there's an idea for a project :evil: .............
:D Are you volunteering? :D

Charlie's Mum
09-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Well, if the darn Project System will accept me, yes! ;)

bjcpaints
09-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Maureen, As I said in the WDE, You really captured the majesty here! Great job!
Barbara

Charlie's Mum
09-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Bless you Barbara, for popping in here too - thank you :)

lani noa
09-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Certainly brings back memeories of Alaska. Lived there for 10 years and spent a lot of time in the bush. McKinely was in view a large part of the year from Fairbanks where I lived. You have captured this very well. I agree to get the feel for the winter in Alaska you must go to the 2nd picture, however, in the summer it is a different story the long sunsets that play across the sky, for hours at a time, can paint some pretty incredible colors on the mountains.

Charlie's Mum
10-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Misty - thank you for your interesting comment!
Never having been there, I wouldn't have known about the colours and sight of the mountain ......... it's interesting to know that my underpainting might not have been so far off the mark at certain times!
The ref, taken from a plane I believe, was very grey!