PDA

View Full Version : Quinces Two Ways

robynsin
09-27-2005, 08:40 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/66219-DSC01721_copy.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/66219-DSC01731_copy.jpg
I've had two attempts at quinces on the tree from my own photo reference. The first 10"x8" on 140lb cold presssed Fine grain Fontenay Aquarelle paper lacked values, particularly in the fruit but I was uncertain how to add another layer without the picture going backwards - it went backwards badly anyway on the left side :crying:. Also learnt from this one to try to avoid using masking fluid on leaves - until I find a better technique anyway.

The second attempt was inspired by the WC WIP by Lynn demonstrating a purple underpainting on tomatoes. This is 6"x5" on Arches 140lb Cold Pressed. I'm happier with this but feel perhaps I was a little heavy handed with the underpainting as it was difficult to get back to a true green. This is a very limited palette - WN Permanent Rose & Windsor Violet for the underpainting. The Green is WN Indian Yellow & Primary Phthalo Blue (Pebeo).

C&C most welcome.

robyn

painterbear
09-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Robyn,

These are beautiful studies of quinces. Love their golden color amidst the greens and purples. Amazing how different the high-key version is from the other one. Each has a charm of its own.

I like the diagonal composition of the branch too.

I know what you mean about masking—I'm getting away from it myself except in certain cases (where I want to pour paint and still retain the lights). Have you ever tried scratch in the veins in the leaf with a toothpick or the back of a brush that is beveled for the purpose? After you lay in your wash, scratch where you want the veins to be and the paint will settle there. You have to be careful though to get it right because there is no changing it once you do it. Practice on scrap paper first. To get a white effect, you can sometimes push the paint away from where you want the veining to be, but you have to let the wash dry a little first or it will run back to where you pushed it from.

Sylvia

robynsin
09-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Many thanks, Sylvia for the encouragement and hints. I actually tried the toothpick technique for my leaves in the latest WDE - much better, but still a bit obvious with my technique. I think I'll try your suggestion for pulling the paint away next.

Love this forum!

robyn

jaydiva
09-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Oh these are lovely!!! I love Quince jelly, yummmmies!!

I like both, couldn't say which i prefer. i love the torn leaves and broker branch :clap:

Sylvia has some good advice, I'm struggling with masking fluid myself :rolleyes:

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/32313-tn1.jpg

my new art website (http://www.diva-design.de/JBB/index.htm)

CharM
09-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Hi Robyn... I have to say that both versions of your composition are lovely... although the second one appeals to my love of saturated colour... what purple are you using for your underpainting?

laudesan
09-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Both are lovely, #2 is my fav.. :)

Masking fluid can be a necessary pain in the butt..;)

Try the scratching, I use a tupperware get the olive out of the jar thingy. It is plastic and has the perfect tip..

I haven't had quince jelly in years, not since my Mum used to make it. Oh Yum what a taste sensation.

I will have to look in the supermarket now when I do our shopping..:D

pampe
09-28-2005, 09:12 PM
these are both REALLY lovely!!!

I, too like char. am partial to the second for the purple and the saturation

robynsin
09-29-2005, 04:30 AM
Thank you Jutta, Char, JJ & Pam for all for your lovely feedback.

I'm going out to the farm today to start making the Quince Jelly, Jutta. Feels like paradise when one can paint the fruit and then bottle it!
Hi Char, the purple I used was an accident - I meant to use French Ultramarine and Permanent Rose as Lynn Cr did - made a mistake and used Windsor Violet and Permanent Rose. Have since found Emily's original WIP and see that she used Windsor Violet. Purple underpainting is a lovely technique for watercolour - I'll keep working on it.

JJ, great tip about the Tupperware thingy - now I'm homesick for that cupboard full of TW in Sydney!

robyn

seedy
09-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi....
Both of these painings are just fine.....
The use of masking fluid...mf.....is an art in itself, in particular, when to rub it off....too soon and its lost....too late and its evident\, but the use of it should not be ignored....
even if it screws up your brushes....etc ;-) it has its place.
Purple underpainting.....now there is a subject that has really captured the heart of all women who paint flowers...ugh....,<smile>
Oh....Indian yellow is a positive.....

mustcreate
09-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Purple underpainting.....now there is a subject that has really captured the heart of all women who paint flowers...ugh....,<smile>

oh Brian.....don't worry about us women and our purple underpainting.....if you didn't have us to whine about what would you do? ;) :D

Robyn both are terrific!!!

and like my colour~lover sisters above ^^^^^ I too prefer the 2nd one for the saturation - although the warmth of the 1st one has it's charms too!!!

ah yes....purple underneath greens....it takes a light hand with the underpainting for the green to shine through ;)

em

robynsin
09-30-2005, 07:14 AM
Thank you Brian for forcing me back to try to tame the masking fluid:) - touched that you dropped by to have a look.
I've been watching your beautiful balloons - fascinated and getting very impatient for you to come back and finish the picture. What do you mean by having a life!

And Em - for days I was looking at all the beautiful work based on purple underpainting - and wondering who is this wonderful Em everyone is crediting?:confused::confused::confused: Finally found your posts and loved them - so thank you for looking at my early attempt and thank you for the terrific WIPs and technique.

robyn