PDA

View Full Version : varnish on oil pastel?

impetuous
01-17-2002, 04:54 AM
I was just wondering if it was safe to add a layer of varnish to a mixed media piece topped with oil pastel (other mediums are acrylic and india ink) I was thinking of maybe a matt spray varnish (so that brush strokes wouldn't disturb the oil pastel)
Was also wondering about the longivity of this considering the fact that OP's never dry out or set.
Thanks a lot in advance for any advice or thoughts that you might have.
Bec:)

Johnmuir
01-31-2002, 09:32 PM
I've always wondered the same thing myself. If I should spray it with that stuff.
I've asked a few people and they always seem to hesitate before giving me their opionion. Which leads me to believe they're not sure.
My opinion, (and I didn't hesitate) is to leave it alone...jim

impetuous
02-02-2002, 03:25 AM
LOL, yup I can safely say to all people out there thinking of spraying on varnish to well and truly LEAVE BE:D
I did a stupid thing and sprayed it (DOH!!!) in certain places it has almost left a gap between the pastel and the acrylic varnish ...as if it's lifted off.
Arr well, cest la vie, we live and we learn form our mistakes!:)

djstar
02-03-2002, 12:42 PM
IF you painted with oil pastel on a canvas, not a paper support and IF you usually varnish your oils, you should not have any difference. IT HAS TO DRY first, and the very limited experience I have with oil pastels, is that they MUST not dry real fast or you could not roll them into sticks.
Give it a few months and THEN varnish it and I would think it may not peel, but DON't use something as porus or weak as a paper support. MAYBE, and I am not sure of the binder.... a sanded paper, but I would only suggest it on something that was gessoed.
AND all I am doing is thinking....
dj*