PDA

View Full Version : Warped Canvas

ramsgirl
09-26-2005, 02:23 PM
I started a new painting on a large canvas this weekend. I left it on my easle as usual but I left the window fan on in the room. A big storm came thru and the next morning I got up to start painting and apparently the moisture from the storm and window fan warped it!! Now what do I do??? Can I set something heavy on top so that it flattens out ? I do not want to start on a new canvas since I am almost thru with the painting..Any suggestions??? Thanks so much. Angela McAllister Ozark Mountains:(

3chaway9
09-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Have you got stretchers with the canvas? if so i'd try pushing them home...

idylbrush
09-26-2005, 03:33 PM
weighting the piece may or may not work. I have added masonite corner bracing with carpenters glue and nails after I had it weighted down. It has worked so far. I may or may not work for you. Good luck. This may be the next step to try.

Leslie Pz
09-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Did you paint it on canvas board? You should be able to flatten out, but make sure the artwork is fully dried and spray the canvas on the back.
-Les

ramsgirl
09-26-2005, 07:31 PM
no....its not on canvas board..its on wood stretchers. I'll try setting something heavy on it when I get it finished..If that dosent work then I'll try the carpenter bit..hehe..Thank you so much for your help. One more thing...could someone tell me how I download the little paintings so everyone can see what I am doing??? Angela

Marty C
09-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi ramsgirl,
Welcome to Wet Canvas:wave:
The warping results from different rates of drying of the stretchers and canvas. Most likely the whole frame or canvas did not get wet, as one area dried out the frame warped. Try rewetting the entire frame and the back of the canvas, place flat and apply equal weights to all sides. Let it dry thoroughly and hopefully it will have corrected the fault.
If you mean a signature line, try this link:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/5712/608/
If you want to upload images, click on the link in my signature line, it will take you to an article which tells you how to get your pics on to WC!

jan409
09-26-2005, 09:21 PM
try spraying the back of the canvas with a mister bottle. this will tighten the canvas, maybe it will take the warp out of it. Jan409