PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoes, BASIL...and garlic

maverick
09-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Cross-posted in the Still Life forum...

This is from a very nice photo in the Reference Image Library. I usually paint still life from my own set ups or photos, but this one was too good to pass up.

Comments welcome...thanks for looking!

Still Life with Tomatoes and BASIL!
8x24 acrylic on plywood
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/10671-tomatoes_lettuce_700.JPG

Bertoni
09-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Maverick:
WOW! This is superb, stellar in every way! One of the best I've seen!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

maverick
09-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks Bertoni! I appreciate all those clappies!

I just realized I mistakenly identified BASIL as lettuce. Ooops! That's what you get when you don't do the set up yourself! :o

alfredart
09-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Maverick, even tho' I commented in still life on this one. I want to repete myself. What a wonderful piece indeed. The time very well spent as I feel this is one of your better works. It shines.

Peace,
AL

jan409
09-25-2005, 01:08 PM
beautiful, it looks as if you could reach out and grab one and eat it. Jan409

bullyluvver
09-25-2005, 01:15 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's FANTASTIC!!!

Gail

maverick
09-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks Jan!

Thanks Gail!

I personally don't like biting into raw tomatoes...when I was a kid, you couldn't talk to me about what ketchup was made of!

jocelynsart
09-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Wow, what a vibrant and clean crisp rendering of that ref image. I know the one you mean. You did fantastic, a really exciting looking painting! Your work has really gotten even better than it was. I have not seen it in awhile. Congrats on your new website design, I peeked a week ago or so, and your acceptance into the Fed. of Cdn. Artists.
Jocelyn

maverick
09-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks Jocelyn! I'm excited to be progressing. I just wish I hadn't had so may distractions over the past year. I didn't get much painting done, and practice is the key to getting better.

I'm embarrased that I started the web site and left it sitting without a working gallery for a long time. My aunt and another visitor complained, so I got busy and finished it. I was lucky to find some gallery software that plugged right in.

Diana Ponting was instrumental in pointing me to the Federation. I think it was the right time to take that step. Now the bar is raised higher for me. The next step is to get accepted into one of their shows.

Thanks for all your encouragement and critiques over the years (has it been that long?!) You, Rita, and Arlene have always been very candid...and sometimes blunt...with me, and I truly appreciate it.

Charlie's Mum
09-25-2005, 06:10 PM
What a beauty! love the format too ......... work like this is inspirational, so I'll add some clappies too :D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nitsa
09-25-2005, 06:13 PM
ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! :clap:

It just shines and I love the canvas size.

3chaway9
09-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Nice work.

maverick
09-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks Maureen, Anita, and Caroline!

...and AL! Sorry, I missed your comment when I was replying earlier. I guess I better spend more time on my paintings!

NodakerDeb
09-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Holy garden salad!! This is fantastic !!

Normally I would say to crop the right side, but it totally works with this painting. Totally!

Deb

Marty C
09-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi Maverick,
Boy, I'm glad I didn't miss this one! This is a quite superb piece, the product of a prodigious talent I think. First class all the way!

Leslie Pz
09-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Wow! So well done and love the reflection!!! Excellent!
-Les

maverick
09-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks Deb! I also thought about cropping it, but I've got 3 more paintings in this format and thought they would look cool hanging together. Most likely they will be sold and separated though...

Thanks Marty! I'm no prodigy however. I just keep working at it and hope to improve.

TxAggieDarlin
09-26-2005, 09:28 AM
It does not get any better than this........I really love this

maverick
09-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks Aggie! I hope it gets better though. There are still a few places that bother me. I just have to decide whether to work on it more, or go on to the next.

Lady Carol
09-26-2005, 01:00 PM
You certainly have a way with vegetables :eek:

Holy-Cow!!!!! This is good.

ColorMyWorld
09-26-2005, 01:06 PM
This reference photo was indeed very intriguing.
You did a wonderful job with it.
The reflections, highlights and textures are supurb!

maverick
09-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks Carol! Apparently I'm not all that good at identifying them...I thought the basil was lettuce at first!

Thanks Ann!

Gilberte
09-26-2005, 02:46 PM
This is a glowing stilllife ... !

CAULFIELD
09-26-2005, 02:51 PM
OMGosh - what an amazing painting!! I love your color choices - especially the blues! The saturation, values, everything is just perfect! Thank you for letting me know you painted my photo! What a treat!

I don't do still-lifes myself, but the people in the colored pencil forum pushed me to try and set one up when I complained about not knowing what to do with all my tomatoes! This painting makes me want to try another one!

nicole

Rosa Weitzel
09-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Im so glad Nicole had us look, this is a beautiful job. I love the reflective blues on the colander. You can call the vedgies any thing you want as long as you paint them so well.

Rosa :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

maverick
09-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Thank you Gilberte! I love your poppy paintings...

Nicole! Thanks for the photo, thanks for dropping in to see my painting, and thanks for the very kind comments! Even if you don't do still lifes, you certainly know how to set up a good one.

Thanks Rosa! The blue is mostly Payne's Grey mixed with white. A very versatile color--and I use it a lot--especially for darks.

Jprice022
09-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Great work on this one Maverick....thanks for posting.

John

:clap: :clap: :clap:

maverick
09-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks John! I appreciate it.

juneto
09-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Ah . It's nice to see the Beginnings of the Pesto Season started, as you have portrayed it ! Only thing missing is the Pignole Nuts . You've got it.. Are we all invited ? I'll bring the Pastry . :evil:
June :clap: :clap: :clap:

Meisie
09-27-2005, 02:37 AM
Maverick, this is a wonderful painting! :clap: wow!

Meisie (who usually hangs out in other forums......so much to see, so little time ....sigh...)

maverick
09-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks June! I wish I could cook as well as I paint!

Thanks Meisie! I usually hang out in Still Life, but it's kind of slow over there right now.