PDA

View Full Version : Opaque or not

asmith38
09-25-2005, 01:22 PM
I have spent the morning reading some of the classrooms, what a lot of great info :clap: !!! Now, if I could could just remember 10% of it :rolleyes: .

Ok, to my question: is there a way to know if a paint is opaque or transparent before buying? I looked at my paints, and they don't seem to indicate that...

eezacque
09-25-2005, 05:23 PM
I have spent the morning reading some of the classrooms, what a lot of great info :clap: !!! Now, if I could could just remember 10% of it :rolleyes: .

Ok, to my question: is there a way to know if a paint is opaque or transparent before buying? I looked at my paints, and they don't seem to indicate that...

Depends on the brand. Talens uses an icon to indicate transparency, from white square (opaque) to black square (transparent), and some squares with a diagonal for degrees of transparency. Golden simply paints a stripe of paint over a black-and-white bar code, to show transparency.

Charlie's Mum
09-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Over here, Liquitex prints this info on the back of the tube.
W&N Finity uses a symbol - not altogether clear!
An empty, white square =transparent,
An white square with diagonal line = semi transparent.
A black square = opaque.
a square with half filled diagonally in black =semi opaque.
I had to check the catalogue to ensure accuracy with W&N!

carld
09-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Danial Smith has transparency listings for D. S Acrylics in the catalog. The ratings wii be the same in other brands for the same pigments.

I got quite a bit of information at a Golden workshop, including color charts. Email for information and they may help.

Carl

Einion
09-25-2005, 09:12 PM
The above two posts pretty much sum up the basic position - most paint manufacturers class relative opacity in four categories like this. You'll generally find this information on printed colour charts and on their online equivalents that most paint firms now have within their websites. Some paints will also have this on their labels now which I think is a good step (can't see any reason they left it off before to be honest! :))

One additional point I wanted to make: these ratings are only a rough guide, in actual fact the opacity of paints doesn't fall into neat categories but varies incrementally with each pigment/paint. Golden now use a unique numbered rating system which reflects this, allowing quite an accurate assessment of how opaque one paint is compared to another in the same range.

I looked at my paints, and they don't seem to indicate that...What brand(s) are you using by the way?

Einion

asmith38
09-26-2005, 12:31 AM
oh my, this is embarrassing :o ... I use Liquitex and it does say in very, very fine print: Opaque and then a little black square (I guess that means very opaque, since this is the Burnt Sienna tube). I never looked at the small print before... :cat:

Thank you all :wave: !

imlayte
09-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks mum, always wondered about those squares. Glad I tuned in today!

Howard L

TxAggieDarlin
09-26-2005, 11:42 AM
well, you learn something every day :) I did not know that

bjcpaints
09-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Ann, Don't be embarassed - lots of us wanted to know the answer!!
Barbara

Lady Carol
09-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Hey, I never knew there was a classification on the tube for opaque, transparent, etc.

So there you go, I learnt something today :eek:

asmith38
09-27-2005, 12:30 AM
Well, now I'm glad I asked :D!