PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Boats

Joannie
09-25-2005, 11:05 AM
I live 20 miles from The Wash in East Anglia and took some photos of the fishing fleet in at Kings Lynn some while ago and at long last have a reason to make a painting for a show in Norfolk next month. I have tried to remember (after a good start) to photo the work in stages. Its very confusing for at first I thought there were 3 boats, but on getting down to detail find there might be five!! judging from the number of booms and nets. So I have tried to separate the bows more - when taking the photo they must have been directly behind each other. Anyway comments would be helpful and appreciated. Should I keep it so realistic or go in for my usual texture and impressionist style for this subject??? I have some net from buying a bag of lemons on Friday I put aside in case I decided to use it for the nets!!!! I've tried to put on the photo first but the system doesnt like it. So here is the first stage of the painting. I am working on it today and tomorrow in the hope of finishing it all. ... so I need your guidance and thoughts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2005/67582-fishing_boats_002.jpg

The nearest cabin looks crooked, but I think its because the nearest boat is leaning somewhat as can be seen from the angle of the masts. Await your comments. The photos bad as it loses some of the quayside in the front with rain puddles I mean to develop. Bye for now all you lovely people beavering away in your own studio spaces.

Nitsa
09-25-2005, 09:19 PM
I remember you mentioning the photographs shortly after we met...I think when we went to Kings Lynn to submit for the Eastern Open?
This is coming along wonderfully Joannie and I am so happy to see a clear photograph!!! :clap: Well done!!!

I have to ask...what colour is that beautiful blue on the boat???
I'd like to see the base of the foliage line in the distance a little darker as it meets the water.

Look fwd to an update! ;)

Marty C
09-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi Joannie,
This is coming along brilliantly. As for style, do what ever comes naturally to you, there are no rules it must be realist or impressionist, you have a great start however you develop it will be good. I also agree with Anita about the background vegetation.

carld
09-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Joannie,

Boats will trick you, sometimes you have to draw them wrong to make them look right. The photos lie in very subtile ways.

In this case, the drawing looks fine to me. You are capturing the scene very nicely. Three boats or five, the rigging and equipment is so complicated that you can't hope to capture it all. I suggest you treat it like a forest, show two or three of the most telling elements and suggest the rest.

Carl

Joannie
09-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Thank you Nitsa, Marty and Carl for feedback. I still have to develop the bank behind the boats and there is a tree line to go in as well. The hull colours are liquitex aqua with either twilight or white. Thank you Carl for your advise re complexity of the number of masts, nets and rigging. Makes a lot of sense - I'll add what I can see clearly and fudge the rest??!!!

Ill post how the painting finished up last night. Still another day to go. Dont know how to do it in this post quick reply method, so will send another reply with the image.

Joannie
09-26-2005, 09:48 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2005/67582-fishing_boats_4_-_2nd_stage

Leslie Pz
09-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Wonderful! Lots of detail that holds together well. Palette has nice unity. Love your sky!!! Is the last post the final? Looks like it to me!!!
-Les

imlayte
09-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Some superstructure looks crooked but isn't? Great it holds my interest. Finish the back ground? Forget it, I've got plenty to look at on deck! Great piece.

Howard L

Joannie
09-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi Lez P - not its not finished yet. Will post again when done so. My trouble is I never know when. Fortunately, it is needed in a hurry for a Norfolk show when we get back from France, so that will make me stop. Hello Howard L - you were right the superstructure - ie two of the masts were crooked. I have corrected one of them now - one more to go as I work across the image. The background is still to be finished -ie the bank, its shadow next to the water and some trees behind the green bank. I dont think I need to add to the sky - its complicated enough already. Thanks for your comments folks.

imlayte
09-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Dear Joannie, my post indicated the painting is completed. Some body once said "10 % incomplete is better than 1 % over done. They are so right!

Howard L

mrs willow
09-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Dear Joannie, my post indicated the painting is completed. Some body once said "10 % incomplete is better than 1 % over done. They are so right!

Howard L
Hi Joannie! I agree with Howard. It is a very painterly work and you have a great painting technique. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers Sandy

bullyluvver
09-27-2005, 03:13 AM
Hi Joannie, I like your boats as they are but I do love your collage technique - it;s so interesting!

Gail

Joannie
09-30-2005, 12:16 PM
At long last I am able to post the next stage in my fishing boats. Still need to add chains and rigging to the boats at the back (ie on the right hand side) but that wont make a great deal of difference to the overall feel. So you can now treat it as the finished job - as proposed many days ago by my lovely wetcanvas friends. Since the last image, I have brightened the masts and cabins to make it more sunny, put more detail and variety of colour into the nets and added to the size of the bottom left puddles on the quayside, which I think stops the base from being too empty. What do you think??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2005/67582-Fishing_Fleet_at_Kings_Lynn.JPG

Charlie's Mum
10-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Joannie, I love the sunny, warm summer feeling to this scene - and I think the boats, sky and almost everything (!) are terrific ......... my only little itsy-nitsy pic is the puddle in the LHcorner - I think I'd like to see it draw the eye further across by the slightest suggestion of more, narrow trails of water. .......... not massive puddles by any means, more like little dribbles!!! ;);) What do you think?

Enjoy your time in France - we were in the Dordogne a couple of years ago - lovely countryside.

PS - I like all the movement in this, due to the sky, so I think not to add to it texturally - just MHO, of course!

Joannie
10-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Thank you Maureen for your suggestion re puddles - brilliant idea. Its great when someone who knows what they are talking about sees a piece afresh and how to enhance it. Much appreciated.

asmith38
10-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Found the fishing boats thread :D! It's perfect!!! Really like the rigging!

Nitsa
10-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Joannie I love the sunshine you added to this already beautiful painting. I'm so glad you brought it along with you when we last met and I could see it in "real life". I especially love the palette in this piece and I'm sure it won't hang long before some lucky viewer snaps it up! :clap:

Marty C
10-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Looks wonderfuL, Joannie, a real treat. Maureens' puddle idea is a good one!

Joannie
10-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks for advise and comments. Maureen I have spent last hour sorting out last minute things including in particular your puddles idea. Posting what is going definitely to be the FINISH.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2005/67582-Fishing_boats_with_puddles.JPG

Now seeing it on the reply thread before posting , I can see I need to remove just half (the thin piece) of puddle nearest the boat on the left, to create better shape to the overall puddles. Do you agree Maureen?? I just put my thumb over it and preferred to result.