PDA

View Full Version : new piece

Gisela
01-16-2002, 10:15 PM
Another woodcut.
I found this piece of wood had a natural pattern that fit with what I had in mind for the carving, so I spent a lot of time raising the grain. There's actually very little cutting on this -- I mostly used the grain of the wood. 8 x 12 on Washi paper It scanned a little weird - not sure what happened there...

Gisela

sassybird
01-16-2002, 10:47 PM
Woodgrain is wonderful to work with. I have seen a lot of artists battle against it when they could so easily use it to enhance their design. I always wondered why they wouldn't use what was right in front of their face.......lol

I think you did a wonderful job with this. The moon is placed where the grain appears to be waves of clouds blowing by. The water is done very nicely and the grain enhances the waves through your cuts.

I notice a few very tiny light spots among the buildings whether intentional or not, but I think you could spark up that city scape by cutting out a few lights here and there. Rarely do you see a night city scape that doesn't have some lights unless it is a blackout......lol I have been through a few of those in the San Francisco day. Pretty spooky. Other than that I think this piece is very strong. Be sure to ink your board well so you don't have fade out like on the left hand side. Try to get your blacks very very black for the best impact.

Tony Perrotta
01-17-2002, 06:35 PM
Hi Gisela, Very cool. You are getting use out of the dremel I take it. Explain how you raise the grain,(with water)??. I can see it worked great in this one, adds to the piece.

Regards Tony

diphascon
01-18-2002, 08:03 AM
yessss!

:)

martin

Gisela
01-18-2002, 07:13 PM
Sassy -- thank you and you're so right about lights in the city. Another pair of eyes can sure spot the obvious! :D As i was adding some lights, though, I took a chuck of building out too. :( Now I'm waiting for the wood putty to dry, so I can do repairs. :p
I have a question too -- when I was doing a couple of proofs, the paper tore from the ink sticking to the wood. I'm using water-based speedball ink and that's the first time this ever happened. i read about not thinning the ink, as then it will seep into the cut part of the wood...any suggestions?

Tony -- to raise the grain of the wood, I gave it a good workout with a wire brush. I saw this in one of my books and it worked really well. I only did it on the sky and water and stayed away from the buildings, as I wanted those to print quite dark.

Martin -- :D

Gisela

PS - no dremel this time. Since I got my good tools, I like them better. I had started with a crappy Xacto carving set - they were awful!!

ZOTMA
01-18-2002, 09:35 PM
the water based printing inks I got from D. Smith came with a clear medium (bought and intro set) and this has helped with controlling the viscosity immensly without comprimising the pigment, block or print quality. I'm wondering if the speedball folks have a clear medium for theirs???

Gisela
01-19-2002, 05:57 PM
Zotma -- Speedball has something called 'ink extender', but it seems to be thicker than the ink. As I run out of inks, (which is happening pretty quickly!) I think I'll replace them with Daniel Smith. I've heard lot's of good stuff about their inks and I love their watercolors and other products that I've tried.

thanks,
Gisela