PDA

View Full Version : Auctions in 2002??

CarlyHardy
01-16-2002, 09:37 PM
For all of you who sold paintings thru ebay or other online auctions, I was wondering who will be continuing in 2002! If you've dropped out, tell us why....and if not, what are your plans or goals this year?
carly (who just sold her first for the new year!)

Sumafra
01-17-2002, 01:15 AM
I for one will continue to list on Ebay. However, I have sold a lot of older pieces for a really low price. I'm now down to an inventory of only half a dozen pieces, some of which I don't want to let go for such a low price. I've tried listing at a more reasonable price but have had no takers. So this year, I plan on doing quick pieces specifically for Ebay sales and I'll continue to list the odd higher priced one just in case. Also, I've started playing around with digital images, that is I start with an image of one of my paintings or one of my photographs and alter it considerably. I think these would make good prints for sale on Ebay as I can sell them quite cheaply.

Here's a sample: what do you think? Is this considered an art form? A lot of people do it. I rather like the results.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2002/Boats_lores.JPG

leesmith
01-17-2002, 08:07 AM
Hey Carly and Suzette!

I am sticking with ebay for 2002.

MY GOAL: Double my ebay earnings! My strategies:

Set the min and bin amount the same so the auction ends with the first bidder! ( big notice to viewers to make sure they get it ) I am hoping this will give a sense of urgency to to bidding, and like in local sales, better buy it when you see something on sale, it might not be there if you wait.

Also, I am experimenting with various min prices and various painting sizes. I am going to paint larger this year.

No additional charge for ship & ins for US buyers.

Shipping on Friday each week, for auctions with payments confirmed by Friday morning.

Occasionally offer a low priced, "Buyer Appreciation" item.

Occasionally, use the featured plus and list a painting over $100, larger.

Now I must be PATIENT and give this time to see if this helps.

Lee

timelady
01-17-2002, 12:08 PM
I'm sticking with auctions too. Goals for the year?

Maybe branch out into prints for auctions?
Get into the wholesale game (trying vizzon.com, have to upload images)
Continue producing Scottish landscapes (my best sellers) even though they're not my usual theme. Gotta pay the bills. :)

Basically I wrote down the reasons I was worried about ebay - mainly the set-price movements and trend towards Billpoint - and decided instead of fretting about it to join the trends. Hence prints. I closed my Billpoint account during the AFA fiasco because they really p*ssed me off, but will probably re-open one in the spring after I figure out exactly what the international rules are. (The reason I closed it - even after signing up for Billpoint, as a UK Billpoint customer I STILL couldn't run an AFA on ebay USA. grr.)

Looking for more online options too... and in the real world decided to get more work in galleries on sale-or-return, rather than just exhibitions. I think SOR is the route to more steady sales.

Here's to all of us having a great 2002!:cool:
Tina.

P.S. Great thread. I think everyone should reply to this, no matter how small the goals. Putting things in writing helps clarify your ideas and makes the goals concrete. Then we can have a 2003 check-in!

pixieled
01-17-2002, 12:56 PM
I'm going to keep at it with Ebay. I did good with prints, and only recently tried paintings. I just need to find the right place with my art on there. (A little sad the two paintings I put up went for a lot less than I had hoped.) Trial and error...

My goals:

First: Not to be so nervous about selling my art! I hesitate far too much.
Second: Finding the best day, catagory, time and price (or close to it!) for listings. (Ugh! I can feel the headache now.) Hopefully gain a little following.

A friend also suggested I try some RPG sites where people are looking for artists to draw their character's. I'll check it out.

----
Sumafra,

I like the image and I say go for it. Digital art is gaining more and more popularity. I've bought some in the past for myself, and for gifts and we all just love them.
----
Hey! This is fun! ;)

tammy
01-17-2002, 10:17 PM
Even though eBay is going up on their fees I'm sure I'll still be listing on eBay. I've sold 3 just this week with "Buy it now" which is also no longer going to be free either. Guess I'll have to adjust my prices.

4kids
01-18-2002, 12:23 AM
definitely keep listing. I had a year that exceeded my wildest dreams last year...so, my ebay goals for this year are:
list steadily. Just one or two things at a time, but always have an auction running.
Keep the creative juices flowing!..'the same old thing' just doesn't cut it at ebay. There's LOTS of 'the same old thing' on ebay.
Offer the best, personalized service from beginning to end of the auction process.
i'm sure there are more....

Maggie J
01-18-2002, 05:05 AM
I have just started on eBay & have had success - my third painting reached 50 with a really low start price and I was thrilled. I am going to carry on and see what happens.

As a newby it is a learning process - can anyone tell me what they do about back feed back in buyers fb profiles? I don't know whether to worry about it or not! Can you refuse to sell to bad fb people? On the other hand there are always odd problems so I don't know what to think! anyone can slip up and then it depends on the other persons 'attutude'!

Also, Tina - what is the move towards 'set prices' you mentioned?

I try and read all on the ebay site but there is so much of it!

One thing - I wish the U.S Ebay site had a currency converter like the UK one - my sales are all to U.S so far and people keep e.mailing me with conversion queries! I hope the lack of a converter doesn't put people off bidding on a UK price!

Good luck to everyone for the new year - let's make it a really successful one and here's to the continuing taste of the ebay buyers of our art!!!!!!!!

pixieled
01-18-2002, 08:07 AM
Maggie,

Sellers have the right to refuse to sell to bidders with bad feedback. Normally, they will have it listed in their auction the right to refuse them. Otherwise I'm not so sure they could get away with it. There is also an option for the seller to have certain bidders banned from even trying to bid on their items. Usually, it isn't used unless someone has been a deadbeat bidder on their auctions, or they have more than two negative feedbacks within a month.

CarlyHardy
01-19-2002, 12:00 AM
You can block bidders from your auctions using the ebay block bidders form when you post your auctions. Check on your Selling page for the link.

You don't have to post anything in your auctions about blocking bidders. I have several blocked from my auctions...and they have never bid on anything of mine. However they are known to be bad buyers with art! I see no reason to take the chance with someone who has very bad feedback and a reputation for not paying.
carly

Maggie J
01-19-2002, 06:32 AM
Thanks for your tips about bidders - I'ts best to know these things - I hope I don't have to use it much!

Paintbrush74
01-19-2002, 09:15 AM
First and foremost, I want art bidders to know I exist!

* I'm putting out small 8x10's and maybe 14x11's that I can do in a couple of hours.
* I'm putting my I D, Lenora_D, in all my art auctions.
* As soon as I can figure it out, I'm going to link to my gallery page from my auctions.
*I'm enclosing a link to my seller page in my web site.
*I'll try to have something out there at all times, so bidders don't forget me.

blondheim12
01-19-2002, 10:07 AM
Interestingly,
I have had a residual sales from ebay on my website. From a woman who bought an ebay painting about 6 weeks ago. She emailed me and asked for two paintings on my site, which I sold to her :) They were small but full price. I will continue to list my old paintings there, one at a time.
Love,
Linda

CarlyHardy
01-19-2002, 03:52 PM
That's one of my goals for 2002. Revamping my website so that viewers from ebay have more choices from my website. I had one sale last year because a happy buyer liked another painting that was on my site! This year I'd like to have a few more.

Another goal is to list more paintings! That will be a real challenge since we might have a move in the near future to deal with. How I hate the thoughts of packing up my studio...lol!

I'll be listing my starting bid a couple of dollars higher this year too.

Hope everyone has great success in 2002! Let's look back at the end of the year and see how we did!!
carly

Sumafra
01-19-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Paintbrush74
*I'm enclosing a link to my seller page in my web site.

What a great idea, I never thought of that. Thanks, I'll have to do that too.

Paintbrush74
01-19-2002, 08:13 PM
No problem Sumafra!!! Glad to be of help! I'm trying to decide if I should link it to my gallery page instead, but the plain seller page is up to the minute, absolutely current; it just doesn't have the pictures.

Lenora

tammy
01-19-2002, 11:45 PM
We did our taxes today and so for the first time since starting to sell on eBay since March 2001 I added up all my sales from ebay and I've a made a big whopping $450.00 total. Geeze. I'm gonna have to work harder this year. :(

Paintbrush74
01-20-2002, 12:10 AM
Tammy, think back to about 3 or 4 years ago. Did you think then that you would be able to say that you've sold hundreds of dollars in art? Not just any art, but your art that you painted. Step by step, step by step.

tammy
01-20-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Paintbrush74
Tammy, think back to about 3 or 4 years ago. Did you think then that you would be able to say that you've sold hundreds of dollars in art? Not just any art, but your art that you painted. Step by step, step by step.

You're right! Thanks for the reality check! :D

Paintbrush74
01-20-2002, 03:12 PM
Well Tammy I was complaining yesterday about not being super successful and my husband said the same thing to me that I said to you. He was very encouraging to me and I really appreciated it.

kjsspot
01-20-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by CHClements
For all of you who sold paintings thru ebay or other online auctions, I was wondering who will be continuing in 2002! If you've dropped out, tell us why....and if not, what are your plans or goals this year?
carly (who just sold her first for the new year!)

Oh most definately!! I started mid November and so far it's going pretty good for me. I'm averaging about $100 a week profit and want to get that up to $200 a week. I think it's been slowly increasing as learn new tricks and tips. I'm back in school now, so time wise it'll be harder, but it's a lot easier than finding a job that will work around my school hours.

timelady
01-21-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Maggie J

Also, Tina - what is the move towards 'set prices' you mentioned?

Mainly I mean eBay's attempt to get set-price auctions going. Mainly through having big retailers now, promoting eStores which have set prices (sellers say they haven't worked well though), and the buy-it-now idea. Not saying it's all that will happen but they are definitely encouraging set-price and store type selling. Haven't decided yet what to do about that... maybe I could set up some print in an eStore eventually.

Re-opening my Billpoint account - this thread made me do it. :) Mind you, they're making it very difficult...

Tina.

Maggie J
01-21-2002, 06:05 PM
Thanks for filling me in Tina, It's a pity eBay have such a monopoly isn't it, guess we'll just have to wait & see & hope things stay okay! If stuff's not selling though I can't see what they'd have to gain. but what do I know!

CathyD
01-22-2002, 01:11 AM
My 2002 goal is to keep auctions running continually, several at a time featuring original pieces of varying prices and sizes. I want to have several print auctions going too.

Ebay has worked very well for me. Since I can only produce a certain amount of work because of my full time day job, it's all I can do to keep auctions running there. Ebay is great!

Cathy

leesmith
01-22-2002, 11:03 PM
Hi Tina and everybody!

I hope this isn't a DUMB OBVIOUS question, Tina, but can you explain what you meant by sale or return? Return in a certain period of time? If so, what period of time?

Thanks!

Lee

salmon
01-23-2002, 05:51 AM
If I could just jump in here please?
First of all, I'd like to make some observations.
Wow! This thread has been all female so far. Aren't there any blokes out there
who are interested in this subject? Seems to me that the ladies are a little more
proactive in this area.
Secondly. I hear what you all say about reviewing your sales strategies etc for
this new year, but shouldn't we also be considering the actual content that we are
putting onto eBay.
I didn't start auctioning my work on eBay until well into 2001. I had a reasonable
amount of success, but like us all, was not at all satisfied with the price that I
was selling my work for. I know it is worth far more than eBayers are prepared to
pay.
Anyway, one thing that I have been monitoring is the styles of work which seem to
be doing reasonably well. It would appear in my case that the traditional type of
watercolour doesn't sell particularly well unless of course it is absolutely first class.
I have found though, that eBayers tend to be more interested in my more surreal
and whacky type of work.
So in essence, what I am trying to say is, no matter what the strategy, how big
the advert and how clever the wording or price, if we are not producing the kind
of art that the punter wants, it is all to no avail.

I'm finding I need to change with the times and paint things that I don't really have
a great deal of love for. Are you?

4kids
01-23-2002, 09:53 AM
salmon.....i think you make an excellent point, tho i find it a touchy subject among some artists.
It seems if one paints a 'commercially' popular type of style, subject, etc, one is not always seen by other artists as an artist. I don't mean to imply there is a 'snobbism' of sorts...just that it sometimes seems if you do not paint purely for painting's sake, you just aren't an artist in the traditional sense. A commercial artist, maybe, but not a 'real' artist..
In all honesty, my work on ebay has been met with a fair amount of commercial success. I'll admit it...i paint, for ebay, what is right now commercially popular. Fortunately, i also love painting those subjects, styles, etc. I also happen to need the money to support my painting habit! I have been most blessed in that my works sell well enough to do that, and that i love designing and painting my ebay items. .
My works for ebay are not the sort you will find in a gallery, but you will find them hanging in homes in many states. And the people who have purchased them, they tell me, get much enjoyment from them.
While i'm sure there are many true 'art' collectors on ebay, in my experience the larger buying public on ebay - those that bring some amount of commercial success to me - are people who are not neccessarily looking for the up and coming VanGogh, but are looking for something that pleases them, will look good in their home, and is unique. 'Decorative Art'? Perhaps. But I I was most surprised at the prices they will pay to find such works..

leesmith
01-23-2002, 10:02 AM
Hi Salmon and everybody,

Why females? Any husband can tell you why! LOL, women LOVE to chatter!

I started selliing cats on ebay, I love them, but sometimes I feel the need to paint other things; wasn't sure I would be able to sell anything but a cat! Buyers do seem to like crazy funky things on ebay, and there will always be sellers with great talent sell for big bucks, sellers with great talent but less bucks, old timers making big bucks, old timers making little bucks. It IS more likely that with time, prices will rise, but it's not a certain fact. I've searched and researched ebay for almost a year now, and I still haven't figured it out. My subject matter can vary some, but I am just not one of those far out artists, even when I do whimsy, there's still traditionalism in there!

Lee

CathyD
01-24-2002, 01:38 AM
Salmon, I paint for ebay too and watch what is selling. 4kids expressed it perfectly. The fun thing about it all is that I really enjoy painting different subject and styles, I get a lot of satisfaction from that. But what is really cool is to turn around and sell it and get an email from somebody who really loves the painting. Now that is satisfaction!!! ;)

CarlyHardy
01-24-2002, 12:55 PM
Salmon,
Great questions and thoughts concerning sales. Often the topic comes up about "style" or "choice of subject" with ebay art. For me, its been more freeing as an artist. My work is mostly traditional in the sense that a tree is a tree in my paintings. Ebay has given me a marketplace where I can stretch as an artist...going more abstract, trying experimental techniques, different sizes, etc. I've found that my 'eclectic' style keeps the same buyers coming back to see what I'm introducing next. They would be surprised if they knew that I'm not even sure what that might be!!

Some tell me that creating art for ebay gets monotonous because clients expect the same subjects and the same cheap prices. I don't paint for the sale...but if it happens -- Great! That's why it never gets monotonous for me.
carly

jackddavis
01-24-2002, 01:47 PM
* As soon as I can figure it out, I'm going to link to my gallery page from my auctions.

This used to be OK on eBay and I always included a link to my web site gallery and then linked back to my auctions from my web site. It resulted in increased traffic to my web site.

Unfortunately, eBay changed the rules to exclude links to outside web sites from auction pages.. Now you have to use your "Me" page to link to your web site gallery. This is an extra step and has drastically cut traffic to my web site.

Paintbrush74
01-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Jack, I mean my Ebay gallery page, the one that has the gallery pics of my auctions.

leesmith
01-25-2002, 05:44 PM
Hi All,

I just wanted to say that my new strategies MIGHT be working. It's too soon to tell yet if this is a fluke or a trend. I'll keep you posted. I've sold 2 this past week, both min and BIN price were the same and the auctions ended immediately, kind of like when you see an item on sale in a bricks and mortar biz, better buy it NOW, not wait or it will be gone.

My views have been really good, so I knew the interest was there, but my price put bidders off BUT all I need is just one itsy bitsy bid and BOOM the auction is over. Now, the ones that dragged their feet and couldn't quite punch that BID button, when they come back to look for it, VOILA! it is gone! So, my thinking is, maybe NEXT time they'll push that BID button, therefore, ending my auction eve more quickly. I didn't even know if you could set the min and the bin amount the same, but you can. These 2 paintings were also newly framed which is why I've bumped the min price up. Just think, at the end of each week, I already know how much I've made on ebay for that week without waiting for the 10 day auctions to end. The idea here is to get so many on that I am selling 1 a day. LOL! That's what I'm gearing for anyway!

I'm also including shipping/insurance into the BIN price also, Tina, I got that idea from you, girl! Very few sellers do that. It just makes things more simple just to tack on a good amount that will surely cover the ship/ins. Even though I state in the first paragraph, the buyers STILL don't see/or remember it but eventually they will as I'm reinforcing in all my emails that I am paying the ship/ins for them.

Good luck to us all!

Lee

CathyD
01-25-2002, 08:37 PM
Lee, that is great!!! I really liked your strategies, and it is cool to hear them working! Thank you so much for sharing with us. It is so helpful.
:clap:
Cathy

leesmith
01-25-2002, 10:09 PM
Hey Cathy, Thanks!

I have a few NASTY projects to get out of the way and TAXES, then on to ebay and commissions mixed in.

Just bought a bunch of 5 X 7 canvasboards and am going to need to order some 4 X 6's to fit a bunch of pretty frames and several 4 X 4's. I'm thinking to sell some of these small ones in pairs framed! Once all those little ones are done, I'm going to think BIGGER and try out the Feature Category Plus thingy to see what might happen.

Still looking into reproductions and I have an original that listed for $100, of course, it didn't sell, lots of lookers though and maybe some repros would sell of that one.

Working ebay is really challenging, I see repros are really moving, whereas 6 to 8 mos ago, they hardly seemed to sell at all. I am also amazed that most of my buyers lately are new to me, but I have been doing things other than cats, still try to keep at least one cat on. The cat collectors have seemed to fall off some, just looking at the bids, but ebay is off a lot. I also think ebay is contributing to their own loss, the new search is extremely slow, and many nights at 9:00, prime ebay surfing time, many parts of ebay are inaccessible from the main page, to my ebay, to even the chat groups; I've started to wonder if what I've read about ebay is correct, that their infrastructure has grown to such a monstrous size that they are deliberately shutting down portions to prevent crashes. I even have trouble getting in at ebay.com! Auto disconnects immediately. My reasoning is that if this is happening to me almost nightly, it must be happening to other
( buyers ) as well. Ebay keeps making their listing fees whether we sell anything or not. They've also cut their completed search down from 15 days of listings to only 10; and a few weeks ago, revisions were not going thru either, seems like that is working now. Even feedback has been unavailable. Just can't help but wonder if they are limiting access. Many art sellers are listing in double categories trying to get more viewers, which effectively doubles the fees to ebay. Food for thought anyway, and they've increased their fees.

Lee

Sumafra
01-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Hi Lee, it seems you're having quite a bit of trouble getting on Ebay. I've not had any trouble myself. That's really strange. Could it be your ISP?? I'm finding sales slow right now, but then they haven't been that great since September anyway. I've thought of trying the Feature function but it's expensive, if you don't sell, that's quite a cost of absorb. I always interested in others' experiences. I might try it one day with a more expensive piece.

Paintbrush74
01-26-2002, 04:13 PM
I haven't been having any trouble logging onto and using Ebay either, Lee. You may want to check into this with your ISP, as Sumafra said.