PDA

View Full Version : Red (Art Show)

scall0way
09-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Well, it looks like I'm going to have a painting exhibited in an Art Show on Oct. 17! Not that's is a great honor since it is not a juried show, and the only requirement for getting in is paying the $20 entrance fee. :) However it should be great fun, and is being held at the Women's Club in town as a fundraiser, and a way to showcase the work of local artists. The art will be *for sale*! I'm not sure I really warrant the designation of "artist" since I've only being doing it really for 6-7 months now. :D

At any rate the theme of the show is "Red". What "red" means is left open to the interpretation of the artist. I can only enter one picture in the show (unless they don't get enough artists to participate, or there are drop-outs, in which case I might be able to have a second picture). So I have to decide what I should enter in the show that would signify "red", and which might have a shot at being sold. I've actually done a couple pictures just in the last couple weeks that certainly could mean "red". So I figure these are my options:
1) Enter one of the pictures I've already done.
2) Create an entirely new picture for the show.

Several of my friends tonight told me they liked the picture I did in the VPON paintout last night so I might use that one, unless I decide to create another new painting!

But I will have to frame it, and set a price for it. No clue about prices, and I don't want to spend a fortune on framing either. The bummer is that I was at Jerry's earlier today looking at their pre-cut mats, and the only decent and nice-looking ones only go up to hold an image of 10 1/2 x 13 1/2, which is just an inch too small in either dimension for my pictures (done on 12x16 canson paper). I can get a plain single mat (as opposed to double mat) with a 11 1/2 x 15 1/2 opening, so guess I will go that route.

For once I wish I had a Walmart near me! I was at the Walmart up in Canada this summer they had really beautiful 16x20 wooden frames with lovely pre-cut mats in them for $18 CDN, far more attractive than any of the frames up at Jerry's, none of which I really liked a bit.

But the images I have painted that fit the "red" category are all from the RIL. Is it OK to show them in a show, and put them up for sale? I'd be really hard-pressed to come up with something decent-looking and "red" otherwise!

Trilby
09-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Way to go Debbie, of course it is an honor. Anytime we get to share our work with others among other artists it is an honor. Yes you can display and sell work done from images from the IRL, no problem. Sounds like you compose edge to edge too. That makes it diffilcult to crop down to fit a standard mat. The single mat will look good, however. Have fun, go with out expectations, then you can be delightfully surprised.
TJ