PDA

View Full Version : Good Use Of A Bad Day?

Nitsa
09-24-2005, 07:42 PM
I feel terrible! :(

The day started out with my concentration being at rock bottom, I felt emotionally irritable and my mind kept going over all the things I SHOULD be doing while my body protested. Time passed too fast and my energy levels were getting lower with every coffee...Nothing! :(
I was keen to wet my brushes but couldn't trust myself with anything in progress, couldn't concentrate on anything taxing...so...I grabbed a 10x12" canvas I purchased a while back, took a tube in one hand and a knife in the other and played.
I layed on a background in pale salmon tones, mixing neat colour from the tubes onto my canvas...Too lazy to even open my palette! :eek: LOL!

Then, when I had made a very good job of making an awful mess, I decided to paint with the frame of mind I had....Simple! :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/18769-x2.JPG

Can you guess what it is yet???? LOL! Strangely enough, every member of my family did!!! :eek:

Mission accomplished?

There's more...I'll be back! ;)

Nitsa
09-24-2005, 08:11 PM
...so....as the day drew on I felt worse, my throat, my chest, my back...You know the score. Took another look at my "simple" painting and decided to try something else with it, this time I went for expression rather than simplicity...so here is my throat!!! LOL!:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/18769-x3.JPG

More to come...it's just drying...

3chaway9
09-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Can't wait...........ahemmm!!!!!.......lol lol lol.

Nitsa
09-24-2005, 08:37 PM
LOL...Hi Caroline! :wave:

....So....Feeling quite angry at being ill, frustrated at having done next to nothing with a whole weekend day...I took my "Simple Expression" ;) and pushed further...Here's what I got:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/18769-x4.JPG
or is it this way?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2005/18769-x5.JPG
Hmmm?

I'm finally pleased enough to go to bed and die silently, not because I am particularly thrilled with my painting but because I took a bad day and did something with it. I stepped outside the box, which is quite a thing for me, I let my creative side take over completely and allowed what it produced to just be...no fiddling, no judging...just so!
I'm amazed at how expressive my results were and how much they reflected my thoughts, emotions and PAIN! LOL! It's been enlightening.

What I'd love to know is:
Your frank thoughts on my days results.
Have you ever just let go like this and allowed something to simply flow from within?
What were your results? Were you pleased with them?
Did they reflect your mood, emotions, thoughts at that time?

Should I have gone to bed much earlier? LOL!

If you got this far....Thanx for putting up with me...I'm off to bed!
G'Night!

Bertoni
09-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Anita:
You've really expressed the mood that you were in really well!!.
It sounds like something I'd want to try. and I think I will!!!

asmith38
09-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Ok, I'll bite: it's a hurricane! :D

Been in Florida too long, it affects my perspective :rolleyes:

JanB
09-24-2005, 09:17 PM
I vote for the painting held horizontally. And Yes I've done this kind of thing...whether or not I'm pleased with the result depends on how bad the mood was, that I was in at the time :evil: :evil: :evil: LOL

damar
09-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Hmmm---looks like the thermal images of a hurricane. A personal storm? It's actually is an interesting piece. I have often been tempted (and encouraged) to just take out a large canvas and go at it with big brushes but thus far have yet to try it! Hope your feeling better!

bullyluvver
09-25-2005, 04:16 AM
Lol...I wondered where you'd got to yesterday! I'll go with the others and say some kind of inner turmoil, but that's pretty obvious since you already told us how you felt. :) And yes, I've done similar things only mine was with pencils - I scribbled all over the kitchen walls once in frustration, then had to re-decorate! Well at least I've still got my ears. :evil:

Gail

Dewi
09-25-2005, 07:36 AM
In my humble opinion it looks like a hurricane not because I know one but too much reading newspaper and television so much misery just like Tsunami. But by being upset somebody could paint such a good painting is wonderful and what a relieved.
And to be honest never have that kind of mood yet, maybe because I'm not an artist yet.:D But for sure you need a good rest or sleep so you could paint more and show us your paintings I hope you are not mad at me :)

Joannie
09-25-2005, 10:16 AM
sorry you're poorly - but what it creates from inside is great. Initial piece I saw as a large wave - reminded me of my surfing painting days in Dorset but I never did a red one. I later saw it as your sore throat - but maybe Clive's health problems in that region led me to that. As you very well know, I often allow the paints and inner self to create something when I want to get away from detail and more detail when needing to make something look 'real'. I just love playing - so should you at any time not only when you feel grotty or emotional. Hope you'll be well enough for our Wed meet up.

Nikademus
09-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Nitsa. Sorry your feeling unwell, but if you can do work like this .... well ...., I hope you are feeling better soon. It is a piece that looks like it was a subconscious hurricane, being in the news at the moment.
Nice use of some firery colours. Well done.

Marty C
09-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi Anita,
You translated your emotional storm into a visual one. Quite cathartic I imagine, and a good result.

Anita Murphy
09-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Anita - this is so different to your usual work. The movement is great and you have certainly captured your mood - though I feel you were a little aggravated with yourself too - something to do with those reds. I'd love to see this HUGE! Such expressive brush strokes seem to demand LARGE space to move in. Nice work!!

Nitsa
09-26-2005, 06:47 AM
Thanx Bertoni...be sure to let us see your results!

Ann....LOL...I guess it does resemble a hurricane in some ways.

Jan...I like it horizontal too! Do you still have some images of your attempts we could see?

Damar...I too have been tempted to just lash out on a large canvas with huge brushes but always feel I would be "wasting" a decent surface. :rolleyes:
Glad you found it interesting! :)

Gail...LOL @ You and your kitchen grafitti!!! :eek:

Dewi....Thankyou, lovely to hear your thoughts.
Not sure why I would be mad at you? :confused:

Joannie....Yes, the initial painting reminded me of a large wave, it's Jakes favourite out of the 3 which is a shame seeing as I painted over it. :rolleyes:
I thought of you when I first started applying the paint, I went in "Joannie style" and just squeezed tubes onto the surface. LOL!
You are right, I should step outside the box more often, explore my creativity aswell as my more detailed style, if not only to discover a little about myself and my subconscious mind.
Deffo be ok for Wednesday...Looking fwd to it! ;)

Nick...Thankyou...I slept most of yesterday which is so unlike me but it has helped, I'm feeling much more able to fight it today! :)

Marty...Thankyou.
That's how I see it, a battle of forces...water and fire clashing together, opposites struggling to meet and reconcile....my mind saying "Get up!!!" and my body saying "Get lost!!!". LOL!

Anita....Hiya babe! :wave:
Aggravated would be a good description of my mood yesterday! I loathe being ill, I know most people don't enjoy it but I already struggle with my mind being overactive and my body keeping up, being ill is such a mental battle for me.
I'd love to work larger, I agree this style demands space for expression.

I used a knife and my fingers for this piece...If I hold a brush I get too finicky! :rolleyes:

Charlie's Mum
09-26-2005, 06:56 AM
Anger and frustrations to the fore! Way to go girl (as they say overe 'there' ;)

I like this departure - maybe we should all try this approach more often - I know I should!

Get well soon - you're needed here lass! ;)

Nitsa
09-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanx Maureen, I'd love to see others give it a shot.

Get well soon - you're needed here lass!

Bless you! :) Feeling a little more human today thanx Maureen!

gnu
09-27-2005, 04:01 PM
looks like a crashing angry wave to me, did from the beginning(I've only just looked in)
given that, it doesn't pull me down to look at, perhaps because of the warms in general?. The darks and lights you added are what finished it off.. Hope you're feeling much better.. :)
I've done this stuff with 3 abstracts, the first one I wanted exciting and vibrant and very very cheerful.
I chose hamonious bright colours and it achieved exactly what I wanted.
The second one ended better than it started, but I had to change the strokes I was using, I just could'nt do the swirls I wanted..
The third ended up different to my concept, exept the colours, but the shapes were an improvement and more fitting in the end.
I need to re name the last two, the first was a gift, but the others aren't selling..

Nitsa
09-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Do we get to peek Gill???

gnu
09-28-2005, 03:35 AM
Anita, didn't want to hijack your thread, but since invited to, someone may learn from this.. thanks :)
The pressie for my daughter's boring work wall
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2005/7242-palms_sm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2005/7242-festiva_sm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2005/7242-fire_sm.jpg

Nitsa
11-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Gill, just found this...The colours are fantastic...Thanx for sharing them with me!

TxAggieDarlin
11-10-2005, 10:33 AM
I would not look at the other answers till I said mine.......looks like a HURRICANE to me.......and we have seen enough of them this year to know :)). Now, I will go see what the others said....

I love the colors and you know, that is almost healing to paint that way and let all the emotions OUT!!

tubby2legs
11-10-2005, 10:35 AM
i too thought it was a wave in the first one and then i followed along. i am presently getting a sore throat and now i have your image flashing in my brain of what my throat looks like. you are a powerful artist.

chaz
11-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Nitsa, I recognoze how you felt. And usually I'm never pleased with what I've done, but I'm always pleased at having done it. I think that is how you should feel about this work.

Chuck

joejoe
11-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I know that feeling only too well........pain and exhaustion, but you turned that painting around........just fantastic. I am lesarning acrylics and started by doing the background.........now the puzzle, underpainting???????????????? what colours lol?
Anyway, good painting from an unwell person:wink2:

Nitsa
12-22-2005, 10:21 AM
So sorry, just found your wonderful replies to this old piece...

TX...You are so right, it can be healing to just let rip!

Tubby...Powerful?...WOW...Thankyou!....Hope your throat is feeling better now.

Chuck...Thankyou and...Yes!...I totally agree!

JoeJoe....Thankyou! RE: Underpainting, there is a great clasroom thread in the Hall of Fame by Maureen that focuses on underpainting and why we do it, colour choices etc...Take a peek! ;)

mrs willow
12-22-2005, 04:51 PM
i too thought it was a wave in the first one and then i followed along. i am presently getting a sore throat and now i have your image flashing in my brain of what my throat looks like. you are a powerful artist.
I thought exactly the same thing as tubby2legs... except I haven't got a sore throat.
Sandy

flower
12-22-2005, 06:34 PM
looks to me like a real throat infection, and you are telling us where it is, a super interpretation of pain like it, could paint a total book on pain LOL, gnu these pics from your daughter show a very light pain feeling not the pain that many feel but a lovely soft way to get rid of the pain, just my personal opinion

Nitsa
01-31-2006, 05:41 AM
Thankyou Sandy & Patricia!