PDA

View Full Version : First 36''x36''

3chaway9
09-24-2005, 04:57 PM
:wave: Hi all,
i have painted this as a birthday present....to be delivered tomorrow..
i had to take the pic. indoors and i always like the pic. taken outside much better...but as i'm running out of time this will have to do...
36''x36'' the first time i have ventured so large....it's for a big room so the size is ok....stretched canvas....it has gold acrylic paint in random strokes over the background which shows up in certain lights....it's for my daughter and she loves poppies...i got the idea for the design from her table mats....although i changed a lot...for instance...the leaves...i thought it looked much better just shown as wispy marks....and the actual flowers are all different...form the original...i didn't want a realistic look to the heads of the flowers as the rest of the painting isn't....the bottom quarter is purplish..
laid on and scraped down with a plastic card...as was the background...with naples yellow and white....unmixed...
please give me C&C's....feel free .....thanks for looking.

alfredart
09-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Gotta love those poppies. Great style,design and layout. Wonderful work indeed.

Peace,
AL

mrs willow
09-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Gotta love those poppies. Great style,design and layout. Wonderful work indeed.

Peace,
AL
I am a "poppy person" too Caroline....and I love this modern approach!I definitely agree with Al's comment. Your daughter is a very fortunate young woman.
Sandy

bullyluvver
09-24-2005, 06:16 PM
This is really beautiful. For me, the BG looks almost like a distant backdrop of trees with the sky just visible. No crits from me. Wonderful work!

gail

Nitsa
09-24-2005, 06:30 PM
36''x36'' :eek: WOW, what a trip that must have been, I can't wait to paint that large!!!

Your poppies are beautiful. :clap:

I like the background colours but personally would have preferred they blend together rather than meet in a straight line.

Your Daughter will love it!

Lady Carol
09-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Holy-Cow Caroline!!!!!!!!
This is soooooooo pretty. Love the design. It must be absolutely stunning that large.

3chaway9
09-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi.....Al....Sandy and Gail......oh! thanks so much...praise indeed....now i'll paint the edges and sign...was going to varnish it ...but just leaving it as is....Great finished.

Charlie's Mum
09-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Those poppies are gorgeous Caroline.
My preference would have been to leave out the hard line too - but it's a good thing we don't all think the same, the world would be a duller place :D
I haven't ever painted a serious picture that size - well done you :D

3chaway9
09-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Thankyou......Anita...Carol and Maureen....i so enjoyed using big brushes...and the big canvas....i have made her a Birthday card using the pic....i think it will satisfy her poppy craving for a while...lol....she's off to Greece on Tuesday for two weeks so she will only have tomorrow and Monday to see how it looks on the wall ...thanks for all the nice things you all have said...isn't it wonderful to create something....lol.

asmith38
09-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Can you adopt me :D? Lucky daughter!!! She'll love it!!!

Chiers
09-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Caroline I think this is beautiful. It all fits together terrific.

3chaway9
09-25-2005, 06:10 AM
Thankyou very much Ann and Sherry....but no thanks to the adoption....i have three already......lol.

Dewi
09-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Caroline your poppies are so beautiful and colour so big too.

jan409
09-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Caroline: Your poppies are wonderful. The brilliant colors make the flowers pop!! I love them. Jan409

Faded
09-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Great colors Caroline, I bet this looks amazing IRL.
-David

Joannie
09-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Hello Caroline

I don't know how you usually paint, but this large format certainly gave you a sense of freedom in the execution. The glow of the poppy colour is wonderful, as is the contemporary design. If you can afford the paint, large design work is for you I would say. One botanical criticism is that I believe all poppy buds start off drooping in my experience - or sorry it might be the seed head after the petals have fallen you have created - in which case forget what I said. Shows how difficult it was to pass any criticism!!! Its nice to get praise, but I think a lot of us really want some advice, critique when we post work and getting other peoples opinions is so helpful for the next one. Hark at me going on??!!! the new comer. Its lovely seeing so many peoples work.

NodakerDeb
09-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Dee-lishous. Some paintings were meant to be painted large and the design and subject matter of this painting demand it :) I very much like how you have sneaked in the purple. An orange painting without purple seems incomplete to me ;). I can picture this hung in a dining room that has Euro design furniture, hardwook floors, no window treatments... OK, ok, so my imagination has gotten away from me... again.

Great painting, great size... go even larger next time. Painting large is very liberating.

Deb

Marty C
09-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Hi Caroline,
Great job, there's a contemporary design gallery in town here where this would fit right in. It may be worth revisiting the varnish decision however, acrylics really do benefit in the longer term from a protective varnish.

Nikademus
09-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Well done Caroline. The poppies are great and stand out well from the loose background. Well Done :clap: :cat:

carld
09-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Caroline,

I have no problem with the hard edge, I think it adds character to the space division.

A very interesting painting from a simple subject. I have had a couple of 30 x 40 canvases in the garage for the last six months, will have to pull them out.

Carl

See my website, www.dummannart.com

JanB
09-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Glowing color, nice break up of space, interesting textures in the BG and each poppy is different and has its own personality. Its beautiful!!

3chaway9
09-25-2005, 12:37 PM
:wave: Hi all,
Thankyou .........Dewie Jan and David.....yes i liked the large canvas...it was scarey the thought of wasting materials...but i knew the with acrylics i could always paint over it...so i just got right down to it.
Thanks.....Joannie....yip i'm going to practice drawing flowers more realistically
as i'm so impressed with the paintings (Al) does.....not that i want to paint botanically....but just to have a better understanding of all the shapes and character of particular flowers.
Thankyou Deb.....Oh! yes big is best.....lol my daughter has a large modern two storey house...just a few months old...and the living room /kitchen runs the whole length of the house....she has hung it in the dining area....and i must say it looks good there.
Thankyou Marty...i will say to my daughter about the varnishing.
Thanks Nick...nice of you to say.
Thanks Carl.....the (hard edge) is not really that hard IRL as i just pulled down with the plastic card so it's uneven in places....yes i recomend you to pull your canvases out ...go for it...and post the results.
Thankyou JanB.....i love cad.red light......lol.
I have another 36''x36'' canvas...........now i wonder what i can get up to tonight????????? Thanks a bunch Guys (of poppies) lol.

Bertoni
09-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Caroline:
Great work and it looks wonderful in that 36x36" format!! Have fun with the next 36x36, hope you'll be posting it!!!!!

3chaway9
09-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Thankyou Bertoni.....very much.