PDA

View Full Version : My Website

wfdon
09-24-2005, 11:34 AM
I have a website put together its not the best but a start, It wont load all the time?? i dont know if its me or them (angelfire) i would like it if someone would check it out for me???

also please let me know what you think the site, and my glass art, and Please be upfront, i can take it good or bad.
Im not good at this marketing thing at all, any pointers would be helpful and appreciated.

www.angelfire.com/ri/hdglass

Thanks
Don

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
09-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi Don.

I'm by no means an expert...I do simple design and maintenance but I do know some things so take it as you will. :)

It loaded really slow for me and I got multiple pop-ups due to being hosted with angelfilre. You don't have pictures on your front page so that shouldn't be it...maybe it's just angelfire. For the other pages that load slow (I'm on broadband which is pretty fast) you might want to optimize your images...I don't know the easy way to do this other than the way I do it with the Fireworks program that I've had forever, but it's expensive if you use it just for that. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

I think the glass art is really nice too but it would be able to sing more if it didn't have competing backgrounds in the images.

Also a plus is to have some type of navigation bar on every page so you don't have to go back to the home page to get to the next place you want to go.

Last thing, put a picture or two on the front page so people get an idea of your work and want to go deeper into it.

I think you have a great start. You will find that it's a never ending process and once you get it to where you actually like it you'll be ready for a new look. I started out on aol web space years ago and slowly grew to where I am now. Keep refining and working at it. The more you learn as you go, the better it gets!

wfdon
09-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks
multiple pop-ups! i already have there banner i use to like angelfire in the 90s these last few years have been a bummer i need to just get a dot com.

thanks for your input i will work on it

Luthien
09-25-2005, 05:30 AM
Hi Don,

I found the same problems as Lori did. The page loads really slow and I havew a pretty fast connection, way too many advertizments. You might want to consider a web hosting service that isn't going to plaster your pages with adds. Maybe get your own domain.

Your beads look great but yeah, they are competing with the background. I think it has too much texture or something. Most of your beads are taken on a grassy background. Maybe a color that would blend subtly with that, something that will push the bead images forward. Plain white or black might work for you. I tried white on mine but it just seemed to glare too much for me. I wanted a color that was sort of calming.

You also might want to have a picture of some of your work on the home page to help draw interest. and maybe design a simple banner?

Just a few suggestions and observations. I know what a pain building a website is, but just keep at it and it will gradually come together for you.

wfdon
09-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks

i didint use to have these problems in the 90s. I quit using the computer for a few years and every thing has changed Angelfire use to be a good site they have givin me nothing but problems latley. you use to be able to get any kind of software for FREE not today I think im starting to get old.

i had the same problem with the white background to. Back to the drawing borad i go

Thank you

UmaJulz
09-25-2005, 04:43 PM
I didn't have any pop-up problems, only one hanging in the background, and the site loaded quite quickly for me (faster than most of these forums). I agree that some photos on your home page would be a nice touch- maybe a sample of each of your topic areas.

The only real technical problem that I had is that the "back" button didn't take me back to your home page- not the button that you made "back to home page" but the browser function "back". don't know why- kind of weird.

Artistically, it is fine. I kind of liked the grass and clover background, but it does come through your transparents and thus competes with them for detail and color intensity. I don't think that you have to go for total white in the background, but depending on your photo editing skills, you could put your grass and clover in a more subdued tone and transparency, with the area behind the actual bead sets feathered out to white. then you can still have your earthy and natural look, without detracting from your beautiful beads.

I think your site has a great base to build from, and with only a couple of minor artistic changes, and possibly getting your own domain, you will have a nice site.

BTW- your dogs are beautiful too! I have a Speckled Heeler ( white with black spots and tan points) that really looks like more of your Dingo type than AKC Australian Heeler. Taller, leaner, more angular face. Nice looking new stud that you have too- nice look in his eye. Do they work well on horses or cattle/sheep? Mine works great on the horses, and is a great help around the farm.

Julz

UmaJulz
09-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Also, I think your marbles are pretty cool! I think they are your best work- of what you have shown on the site.

wfdon
09-26-2005, 07:34 PM
thank you Julz
my wife has been working on her own breede for 15 years or better they are verey smart dogs, we get rid of them all over the usa. yes they will work any thing you put them on, and if they like you they will hijack every thing you set down

UmaJulz
09-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Mine likes to steal my gloves and go sit on a big pile of dirt (highest point) with his paws and head on them, waiting for me to come home. He has a lot of wild dog characteristics that I find very endearing.