PDA

View Full Version : A Serene Cow in a Mad World

ottwork
09-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Hi All - :wave:

This is my latest cow painting - 24"x24" acrylic on stretched canvas. Lots of quin. magenta, as usual :rolleyes: ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2005/64088-Serene_Cow.jpg

As always - C&C welcome and encouraged! Thanks :D

Dewi
09-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Isn't it cute full of colour very nice Diahn

Lady Carol
09-23-2005, 11:31 AM
A blue cow, eh? Wonderfully done and the colours are vibrant. Small crit from me...the ears look a little odd. Too low perhaps and not as detailed as the rest of the cow.

I love the background.

Bertoni
09-23-2005, 11:51 AM
I love the color on this cow, quite unique and fun!!! I have to agree with Carol re: the ears! Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chiers
09-23-2005, 02:43 PM
I love this cow! Blue works! The ears on a cow are pretty low set but perhaps should be a bit darker? The hue seems a bit off compared to the rest of the cow.

Nitsa
09-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Oh I love him - Just gorgeous! :clap:

After reading the title I was half expecting to see a portrait of me. LOL!

ottwork
09-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks, everyone! I see what you are saying about the ears, Carol and Bertoni, but I think it is a color problem, not a placement problem - thanks for bringing to my attention! I'm posting the reference here - from the RIL photo by PeterH -
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2005/64088-cowref.jpg

so - I think they are in the right place, but all that hair has kind of gotten me flustered :rolleyes: .

Anita - :D Maybe I should have titled it "Self-portrait in Blue":D

Chiers
09-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Diahn, I meant that a cow has low set ears, not that your cows ears were too low set. LOL I see what you mean about the hair...my word.

Jprice022
09-23-2005, 06:01 PM
ottowork--great job on the cow....i think the left ear(as I look at it) should be blended more to the colors of the head. Similar to the right ear. That may make it appear less "stuck on"

I really like the colors.

Thanks for sharing.

John

Nitsa
09-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Anita - Maybe I should have titled it "Self-portrait in Blue"

LOL!

Just had to pop back in to see your wonderful work again...Simply gorgeous!

paintedhorses
09-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Wow, great color!

I think the ear problem is simply that the ear on our left doesn't have the bit that connects to the head (as you see in the photo) that you correctly have on the ear to our right. What do you think?

Love this piece!

Jeri

Marty C
09-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi Diahn,
Wonderful interpretation through colour, visually arresting with the blue/red juxtaposition. The accurate rendering with the surreal colour makes for a striking work, nicely done.

JanB
09-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Great expressive color. Great expression on the cow LOL!!

ottwork
09-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Ah - Jeri - That's exactly the problem!!!! Isn't it funny how you look at something so long you can't see it anymore!! I'll be putting this one back on the easel for a little anatomical correction! :rolleyes:

Hi again, Anita! :D Thanks for popping back in! And - congrats on the upgrade to Guide!!!!!

Marty, Jan and John - Hi and thanks for your comments! :wave:

I'll post the update later today, I hope. I'm thinking of entering this one in an exhibition called "Eye Candy" in October. It's a juried exhibition, so I don't have a lot of hope of getting in, but I thought I'd try! Thanks for everyone looking and commenting!

Nitsa
09-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi again, Anita! Thanks for popping back in! And - congrats on the upgrade to Guide!!!!!
Thankyou!!! :)

I'll post the update later today, I hope. I'm thinking of entering this one in an exhibition called "Eye Candy" in October. It's a juried exhibition, so I don't have a lot of hope of getting in, but I thought I'd try! Thanks for everyone looking and commenting!

I think this has a great chance...Please let us know how it goes!

ottwork
09-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Here's an updated version with the ear connections added in - feel free to comment on this version, as well - actually, here are both just to save you the trouble of scrolling up!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/64088-Serene_Cow.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/64088-Serene_Cow2.jpg

better - or worse??

Nitsa
09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Perfect! :clap:

3chaway9
09-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Great finish Diahn.......great painting.

Loxley
09-28-2005, 09:14 PM
:clap: :clap: I love this cow, you do it justice and it's so refreshing to see it out of its usual colors. He probably likes it too. I do horses and been dying to try one with all different colors in the mane and tail.
You have encouraged me to try it.
Thanks for the neat picture.
Sherry Gore-Paglen
loxleystudio.com :clap: