PDA

View Full Version : "Summer" is ready !

Lady Grey
01-16-2002, 03:04 PM
I've just finished the second part of my series. It was made with the same technique as "Fall" - upper layer was cut out from paper and background was painted in ink. I had some problems with the background. First I wanted to draw some Celtic knots imitating sun rays but then I decided that the foreground is decorative enough and that the "rich" background would blur it.
So, what do you think ?
Lady Grey

Lady Grey
01-16-2002, 03:05 PM
And a close up ;)

Gisela
01-16-2002, 04:25 PM
I'm enjoying this series very much. You must have boundless patience with the knife! I agree about keeping the background simple with these rich patterns in the tree.

Lovely piece! :)

Gisela

sassybird
01-16-2002, 05:29 PM
I enjoy tedious work myself. That is probably why I embraced printmaking so fast. This is a wonder piece. I would still like to encourage you to sell your work. It has such presense.

Thumper
01-16-2002, 11:20 PM
Wow, those leaves are gorgeous. This is so creative, I'm loving the whole series so far. Good choice on the background, it would have made it too busy, I think, if you were to put in the celtic knots- they would both be fighting for my attention and who knows, maybe i'd end up going crazy or something like that ;)
Which one are you going to work on next???
Good luck with it
Joc

Lady Grey
01-17-2002, 03:09 PM
Thanx guys That's what I call encouragement :D I'm happy that my foreboding about Celtic knots was right.
Gisela - you don't have to bo sooo patient to do something like this, but it's definetely a hard time for my eyes ;)
Sassybird - I talked to my boyfriend and I will probably have an Internet gallery very soon :D (it will be a present for me from him)
Joc - I'm glad that I didn't make you crazy by my tree ;) I have a few ideas about what to do next but I also have the feeling that "it's not the RIGHT thing" - so I will probably wait for some inspiration. I have a few other projects in mind - some of them already at the stage of sketch, so I think I will do them first
Lady Grey

Thumper
01-19-2002, 12:37 PM
You definantly don't want to rush anything- i look forward to your new work :)
Have funwith it,
Joc

Leaflin
01-19-2002, 03:57 PM
WOW Lady Grey!
This is fantastic.
It is such a wonderfully delicate art form I can see why you like it so much.
I look forward to more.

colorme
01-23-2002, 08:30 AM
wow i'm liking the detail, looks like a lot of work went into this one :)

Lady Grey
01-23-2002, 01:03 PM
Leaflin - yes, cutouts are "enchanting" - maybe you will try it too - it's a lot of work, but a lot of fun too :)
Colorme - yes, it is a lot of work and lots of satiscaftion also ;) It's my way of fighting againts my chaotic way of life:p BTW - a like your Internet site very much :D , very nice design - in Polish I would say "it has an idea in it" :D
Lady Grey

AriadneArts
01-26-2002, 03:20 AM
Lady Grey, this is just stunning! It really says warmth at high noon on a summers day, to me. Just lovely. Thanks for sharing your vision...:clap:

joemajury
01-28-2002, 01:12 PM
I think this sort of work is stunning, it takes my breath away that someone can be so patient cutting all that out, BUT, I would disagree with you on leaving out the Celtic design.
If you want to sell these works, then CELTIC is very much the in thing at the moment, and I see you having no problem selling these ( not that I think anything is wrong with the pattern you have done)

Joe

Lady Grey
01-28-2002, 01:33 PM
Eileen - thanx for your kind words :-)
Joe - The "commercial factor" wasn't so important to me, because I've never tried to sell any of my pictures. I usually give them to my friends and family or just keep them at home :) But Celtic knots are very interesting thing, not only because they sell well but also from "artistic" point of view and I think I will try to do something with them in future. Thanks for a good advise :D
Lady Grey

joemajury
01-28-2002, 05:34 PM
I would be very interested to see the tools you use for this work, especially for cutting out the smaller pieces.
There are a lot of good sites online with Celtic designs, if you want a few give me a call.

Joe

Lady Grey
01-29-2002, 03:44 PM
The only tools I use are two cutters I've bought in China - they're precise and durable, which is very important for that work. The angled one is for cutting curves, but I use it quite seldom. Usually I use the straight one. The lenght of the egdes is about 5 mm (about 1/5 of the inch). I dream about Japanese special cutters for isekatagami (i.e. for cutting circles)- but they quite expensive for me - but I decided that this year they gonna be mine :D
Joe, I'm really interested in websites about Celtic designs - my favourite is: http://www.aon-celtic.com/
Lady Grey

Lady Grey
01-29-2002, 03:49 PM
The only tools I use are two cutters I've bought in China - they're precise and durable, which is very important for that work. The angled one is for cutting curves, but I use it quite seldom. Usually I use the straight one. The lenght of the egdes is about 5 mm (about 1/5 of the inch). I dream about Japanese special cutters for isekatagami (i.e. for cutting circles)- but they quite expensive for me - but I decided that this year they gonna be mine :D
Joe, I'm really interested in websites about Celtic designs - my favourite is: http://www.aon-celtic.com/
Lady Grey